Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

professor_curly posted:

Is it ever explained why the Clans sort of expected the Inner Sphere to follow the same warfare rules when the invasion started? Why did they bother issuing Batchalls or those other rules at all, did they just forget they made up all of that after they left?

Cultural zeitgeist. They have been living under the Clan system for generations (a Clan generation is every 5 years and if a warrior isn't bloodnamed or dead by 35 they're considered basically useless). The system is so deeply ingrained that the average Clanner is incapable of asking why things are the way they are, much less consider that outsiders might not comprehend how their system works innately.

They are human-shaped biological robots who do things by rote and while they do have to make decisions they almost never need to think about any of their actions until they're faced with a problem outside the very limited contexts their society presents them with. Those situations tend to break them or drive them completely insane because they don't have the coping methods to deal with them.

If you feel a shudder of revulsion when the Clans are described to you, congratulations. That is the intent of their creators. They are supposed to be extremely unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

professor_curly posted:

Is it ever explained why the Clans sort of expected the Inner Sphere to follow the same warfare rules when the invasion started? Why did they bother issuing Batchalls or those other rules at all, did they just forget they made up all of that after they left?

For the same reason that they expected the worlds they conquered to immediately submit and adopt the Clan way of life: they believe it to be inherently superior and so obviously so that no one exposed to it would fail to take up their ways immediately.

You can see this in the stories when the Clanners, when confronted by a civilian populace that actually resists them, have reactions that range from confusion to planetary-scale mass murder.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Tempest_56 posted:

For the same reason that they expected the worlds they conquered to immediately submit and adopt the Clan way of life: they believe it to be inherently superior and so obviously so that no one exposed to it would fail to take up their ways immediately.

You can see this in the stories when the Clanners, when confronted by a civilian populace that actually resists them, have reactions that range from confusion to planetary-scale mass murder.

Eugh. It's like I'm reading garbage. Not you, I mean the clanners. I'm too used to hearing "so obviously inherently superior :smuggo::fh:" in the context of internet atheists.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you feel a shudder of revulsion when the Clans are described to you, congratulations. That is the intent of their creators. They are supposed to be extremely unsettling.

Well, mission succeeded and then some. On an instinctual level I despise these things. My soul does not want to touch it. Perhaps not for the intended reasons, but the effect is close enough.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 20, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Clanners are narrativistic, religiously-atheistic (or at minimum ritually-atheistic), nihilistic social-darwinist super-soldiers following the tenants of a society whose rules and rituals came to the idiot son of a famous space general in a dream he had while the population of the Kerensky Cluster was nuking itself into the stone age.

Nicholas Kerensky was a military fetishist with daddy issues who wanted to create a society where, among other things, he could never lose (spoilers: he caught himself a bad case of the Critical Hit: Cockpit).

The Clan narrative says:
1) To the Victor go the Spoils, Vae Victus, winning makes you morally superior to those who can't beat you.
2) Superior warriors will always defeat lesser warriors and it is their moral obligation to do so.
3) Lesser warriors (and the lower castes) should accept their place in the narrative as a stepping stone for their betters
4) Each Trueborn generation is inherently superior to their predecessors, olds should die quickly so the young can thrive.
5) Having your genetics used in the breeding program is what all trueborn Clanners should aspire to, your children will be better than you.
6) Having children the normal way is random and does not lead to superior warriors, use birth control when you gently caress you idiots.
7) Controlled genetics is superior to random chance.
8) The individual is nothing but a weapon or a tool in service to the Clan.
9) Every Clanner should therefore live for the betterment of the Clan, because the Clan will continue long after you are nothing
10) The only way you will ever be remembered for more than just your genetic material is if you get your name in our Brief Oral History of the Universe (the Remembrance). Then people will know your name and/or your deeds and how you bettered the Clan.

Aspects of the Clan narrative were built to be extremely attractive to teenagers (in the same fashion as Ayn Rand, and all the current young adult Hunger Games type poo poo). Those who encounter the Clans as adults tend to react to them with total revulsion which was precisely what Stackpole, Charrette, and the other authors who were shaping the metaplot at the time intended.

Even though he completely missed the point in Book 2 and Book 3, Robert Thurston does a great job in Book 1 of the Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy exploring how Clan society takes a collection of relatively normal human children and grinds them down into soulless killing machines. If you want to read a book that will make you hate the Clans on a visceral level, Way of the Clans is your gateway.

Just, y'know. Don't read Bloodname or Falcon Guard.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I actually enjoyed all three books. :smith:
Although the first is the best one.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I vote write in A via B. Let’s rub some dirt in peoples eyes

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I actually enjoyed all three books. :smith:
Although the first is the best one.

They just don't hold up well. Aidan as a cog in the machine is less interesting than Aidan realizing he'll never be cog-shaped no matter how much the Jade Falcons make him want to be.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It sounds like the Clans would be very popular among the adults of today with a little tweaking of current events.

What year did they introduce the Clans?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Scalding Coffee posted:

It sounds like the Clans would be very popular among the adults of today with a little tweaking of current events.

A long-rear end time ago. This is OG Battletech, I think? At least predating Mechwarrior 2 in 1995.

I didn't know Stackpole was involved with creating the clans. That explains a fair bit, he's always been a pretty good author. Oh, hunh. Stackpole didn't just create the clans, Battletech was some of his first works. Neato.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

1990. Though there was some vaguely implied stuff in a spot or two earlier, 1990 is when they released actual books like the Compendium (with Clan equipment stats) and Battle for Twycross.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I looked on Google play for any books related to this series, and could only find one, mechwarrior 10.

Every thing else is audiobook only. :(

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Scalding Coffee posted:

BattleDroids (1st edition) came out in 1984 and was supplanted by BattleTech (2nd edition) almost immediately, followed by CityTech and the War of 3039.

The novel line for BattleTech started in 1988, and the Clans were introduced (both to the game and in the novel line) in 1990. Most people don't realize that Michael Stackpole finished the warrior trilogy and finished the first novel of the Blood of Kerensky Trilogy less than a year apart.

McGiggins posted:

I looked on Google play for any books related to this series, and could only find one, mechwarrior 10.

Nearly all of them are on Amazon under the BattleTech Legends license. This is a good starting point, if you don't like this one you won't enjoy the novel line.

Just be careful because Wolves on the Border's sequel, Wolf Pack, takes place more than 20 years later and is... not the best work of fiction Robert N Charrette ever produced.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
To piggyback off of Poptarts, if I remember right, the Clans were introduced sometime in the nineties, kind of like how during that time comic books all seemed to suddenly try and get darker and edgier or spin off to focus on gritty anti-heroes, so that might explain how some of the weirder aspects of everything about them came around.

Also it helps to imagine the Clans as being the sci-fi future stand in for the Mongol hordes and the Spartans. On the surface to someone just looking as aesthetics and accomplishments they sound baller, badass warriors stomping their foes into the ground through grit and warrior skill Its only after you peel back the layers and see what they as a society had to do to accomplish their feats and training makes you go WTF.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

It should be noted that the arrival of the Clans was a REALLY divisive issue. Even by the mid to late 90s there were still open grog fights about the Clans/Clan equipment ruining the game, significant portions of the playerbase refusing to move past the 3025-era and repeated calls of munchkinry if you brought out a Clan mech.

This did eventually die out, but the very existence of the Clans was a dispute for a good decade after they were introduced.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Exactly. The problem is is that there are some people who hear this and think "Wow, this sounds like an awesome thing!" and that's where you get the people who think the Clans are legitimately great, and the fanboyism for them.

Tempest_56 posted:

It should be noted that the arrival of the Clans was a REALLY divisive issue. Even by the mid to late 90s there were still open grog fights about the Clans/Clan equipment ruining the game, significant portions of the playerbase refusing to move past the 3025-era and repeated calls of munchkinry if you brought out a Clan mech.

This did eventually die out, but the very existence of the Clans was a dispute for a good decade after they were introduced.

Something to keep in mind is that the balancing system Battletech currently uses, Battle Value, did not exist back when the Clans were introduced. The only balancing metric out there was tonnage balance, and a simple look at the Charger and Awesome should show you how utterly flawed that is, and how it really required battles to be fought between friends who would pick reasonable forces. So then you get the Clans showing up, with a base unit that is 5 mechs instead of 4, AND pretty much every single thing they have is just outright BETTER than what non-clan equipment is. And there's no point balance system. So you can see why people would get upset about them; even if you didn't give a flip about the fluff, if someone else brought them to a game and expected to play a "fluffy" engagement with both sides using a lance/star that would put you at a huge disadvantage because your IS tech just ain't up to snuff.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

My work has just gotten a little nuts - its a thing that should hopefully be over by next week. I am not going to be able to do any updates until it's over. I hope you all understand.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Thanks for letting us know Phros.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I'm confident the thread will find topics of discussion to keep itself entertained until you return.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Understandable. We need our dose of shenanigans though.. hmm..

Something I would find intensely funny is to do a "Twitch Plays Pokemon" attempt with regards to MegaMek. Just how bad would the AI have to be to lose to the collective goonery of goons?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Life is life, Phros. You're putting in a huge amount of work with this LP - we can't complain if you need some time.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

SirFozzie posted:

Understandable. We need our dose of shenanigans though.. hmm..

Something I would find intensely funny is to do a "Twitch Plays Pokemon" attempt with regards to MegaMek. Just how bad would the AI have to be to lose to the collective goonery of goons?

I actually think a version of this thread using Megamek (with four players against the GM running the Opposition Force) would be pretty neat, but would be somewhat difficult to pull off.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
At that point it's basically just PTN's LP.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Eh, at least it'd move faster.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Voyager I posted:

Minus the incredibly in-depth rewriting of the canon. Minus the story text. Minus a lot of the artistry that makes that thread as good as it is, but also that makes it so incredibly extensive.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Gnoman posted:

I actually think a version of this thread using Megamek (with four players against the GM running the Opposition Force) would be pretty neat, but would be somewhat difficult to pull off.

Yeah, maybe a company sized force, with people playing lance commanders or something, it'd need a couple people.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Tempest_56 posted:

That's interesting! Starting as I did with MW2 and MW2:GBL, I always thought that the Clans were good guys, and the IS were bad guys (since I hadn't read any of the books at the time). Out of the only other two guys in school who were interested in the MW2 games, only one of them had read any of the novels, and it was the first of the Aidan Pryde books. He shared it with me, and I found the book deeply uncomfortable.

In later years (again, before I'd read most of the novels or sourcebooks), I was still more interested in the Clans, and wished there had been more about the Cloud Cobras or the Goliath Scorpions.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

So since we've got some time - let's talk contracts.

So when a merc company gets offered a contract, there's several parts to it.

The non-negotiable sections are kinda obvious:
  • As we have observed here, not all employers (and not all opponents) are created equal. Even the narrative parts aside, there's a huge difference in the quality of the contract between fighting some Periphery pirates versus a major Successor State or Clan. And just what you'll face will vary that way too, since each faction has their own RATs for available equipment.

• Location will also be important too: you don't start getting paid until you arrive, so taking a short contract a long distance away is bad for business. Depending on your settings it may also have an impact on your fights: worlds with weird gravity or weather can really throw a wrench into things.

• Ally/Enemy ratings are a huge deal. Each is generally expressed as a ranking and a letter - ranking for the quality of the pilots, letter for the quality of their equipment. As noted upthread, you don't get paid any better for facing an Elite/A unit than you do for a Green/F, so don't take needless risks that way. (Higher equipment quality will mean better salvage, of course.)

• The required number of lances is actually static, even though you wouldn't think it would be. It's a fairly straight scale based off of the total number you've got - 50%. Note that this does NOT care about the type of units, so having non-combat or reserve forces can actually tip this up higher. (That's generally only an issue when dealing with battalion-scale units or larger.)

• Then you've got mission type. It directly affects several parts of the overall contract - primarily your objectives and the situation you're walking into. A garrison or cadre contract is a much different situation than relief duty.
The negotiable sections are a lot more in-depth (though MekHQ simplifies a lot of this on what you're allowed to renegotiate).
  • Length of contract is obviously important for several reasons. The longer the contract the higher the overall pay and the more fights to get salvage/XP. But more time in the field also means you're further out from resupply and you're going to get ground down along the way. Also, super-long contracts tend to have a lower per-month payout so it's a question of if you want short but high paying contracts or longer periods of lower but steady income. Note that mission type affects this: each type has a rough range of how long it's for.

• How much you're paid is obvious. It's expressed as an overall number, but it's really an amount per month. That amount is the salary of your combat forces times a particular amount - the more troops (and the more expensive troops!) you have, the more you get paid. While it seems like a big deal, this is actually only the third most important place for your cash flow.

• Overhead Compensation is basically a nothing. Each month a unit uses up a small amount of cash for overhead - food the troops, pens and paper for the administrators, so on. The levels are a simple None/Half/Full. The amount of money involved is so low that this is pretty meaningless.

• Command Rights, on the other hand, are a big deal. It's a gauge of how hands-on your employers are - House means they're literally in the field acting as your officers (with an AI mech to help you in the field); Liason means they're just working alongside you (in which case the random bonus mech is under your control); and Independent means you're wholly on your own. In narrative terms, you can probably see why it's a big deal. Employers want to have strong control in many situations - you're not going to get Independent command during a planetary invasion. Sometimes they want you to have free reign so you're more of a deniable asset, however. Mercs generally want as independent a command as they can get - just imagine the fun we'd have had this contract if there was literally a ComStar representative in the field with us, giving direct orders.

• Transport Terms are next - it's a percentage of how much of your transport bill the employer will pay. Costs are going to vary depending on both how far you're going and how big your unit is. If you've got dropships/jumpships? You keep the money. Otherwise it goes to paying your fees. It's a nice thing to get but generally isn't that huge a deal. Every bit of money helps, though, particularly if you're getting jobs that are really far off.

• Support is an interesting one worth noting: there's two types of support that are mutually exclusive. Straight Support is one where the contract will pay a percentage of your non-combat staff's monthly salaries. This is the bad kind of support. You don't want this. You want the other kind - Battle Loss Compensation. It's a percentage as well, but it's how much your employer will reimburse you for damage taken in combat. Use up a few tons of ammo? You have to have the parts but they'll pay you the equivalent in cash. Lose a mech? Guess what, your employer is giving you the market value for what you lost. Battle Loss is by far the better sort in any contract that involves actual fighting. You won't get back more than you lost in combat, but it means that it's far, far easier to recover from a bad fight. In a contract with even a moderate combat tempo, the amount you recoup from this can far outstrip your actual pay.

• Then there's the big one: salvage rights. It's a rolling percentage of the overall salvage taken during a contract. (Sometimes this gets awkward because it's an Exchange - which means the employer keeps everything but will pay you the market value for your percentage of the take.) We've seen how this works already, and this is the real place you get your cash. In a high combat tempo contract, you can pull in more in a week in salvage than the whole month's pay. Even with a low amount of fighting, this is probably going to be your #1 source of cash and parts.
So there's your basic elements of a merc contract. And knowing is half the battle.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gnoman posted:

I suddenly really want to watch this happen, who wants to pick it up? Probably needs its own thread, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm also curious what the different Mission Types of contracts mean in gameplay terms. Like what are the chances of different scenario types popping up in, say, a Planetary Invasion contract as opposed to Guerilla Warfare. I'm assuming a lot of this stuff comes from books I don't have.

In generating contracts in GM mode I've seen Cadre Duty (assuming that's being a babysitting trainer), Garrison Duty, Pirate Hunting, Objective Raid, Guerilla Warfare, Recon Raid, Extraction Raid, Planetary Assault, Security Duty, and someone mentioned Riot Duty as a euphemism for warcrimes for hire being a thing, too.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Cadre: You provide the core of an area's fighting force, and train folks to take your job when you leave.

Garrison Duty: Sit around, take money, and depending on your bank account, hope that someone either raids you or hope that no one raids you so you can repair everything

Pirate Hunting: Basically what it says on the tin

Objective Raid: Raid a factory or a key source of parts, either to enrich your client, or to deny something from the enemy

Guerrilla Warfare: "We're going to drop you on a planet for a few months. Raise as much hell as you can. We'll come back for you. Probably."

Recon Raid: Find out what's on a planet, either in preparation for a more general assault, or to confirm information (for example, we need to find out if the 13th Heavy Dragoons are off raiding other planets. Hit their homeworld and see what you find out)

Extraction Raid: Usually, spies and the like, especially those who will have a hard time booking travel off planet.

Security Duty: Guard a VIP or a location (for example, a factory)

Riot Duty: "We are having trouble keeping the populace under our boot. So, if they don't do what we tell them to, we're going to put them under YOUR BattleMech's boot."

Planetary Assault: We're going to take over. You going to stop us? (Quoting the three to 1 maxim, usually, if someone is launching an all out assault, they have enough things to make the assault stick. However, when all appears lost for the Defenders, they'll usually be a big rush to get VIP's off the planet (usually the folks that would normally get shot as part of a different nation being taken over).

Some of these are one or two missions and done (for example, Extraction Raid is go in, land, go and get the target, and lift off), but depending on the long term goals can be a lot of time and effort (for example, a Recon Raid or Guerrilla Warfare might be for several months, as the preliminary to a Planetary assault"

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Xarbala posted:

I'm also curious what the different Mission Types of contracts mean in gameplay terms. Like what are the chances of different scenario types popping up in, say, a Planetary Invasion contract as opposed to Guerilla Warfare. I'm assuming a lot of this stuff comes from books I don't have.

In MekHQ terms? Not actually that I've noticed. There may be a formula in there to bias mission types to the contract type, but if there is it isn't strong enough to play a huge role.

As for the types of contracts?

• Garrison contracts are long, low-paying affairs where you're basically the local defense force for a while. Generally these are low combat affairs - in-universe frequently no combat at all - that are frequently taken by units looking to do some recovery time.
  • Cadre contracts are basically garrison contracts, but with the additional objective that you're to act as trainers. Sometimes you're bringing a local militia/security force up to speed, sometimes you're acting as the OpFor for somebody bigger. Still usually R&R type of stuff with low threat.
  • Relief Duty is pretty much the opposite. You're the reinforcements for another unit who's had things go bad. The pay is a lot better, but you're getting thrown into the deep end in a situation that's already FUBAR. Good money, lots of fighting, high strategic risk. Really common during major wars.
  • Riot Duty is all kinds of fun, because you're usually fighting civilians. This isn't JUST riot suppression (though that accounts for a lot of it), but also fighting rebel forces. Generally heavier combat (since they don't hire a merc unit for small stuff), but normally against inferior foes. Of course, when things get this bad there's often a Successor State's intelligence bureau behind it and they will have actual combat-trained troops and heavy equipment.
  • Security Duty is basically a garrison contract but shorter and oriented towards protecting a specific objective (such as a person). You're very, VERY heavy bodyguards, basically.
  • Objective Raids are the most common of contract types and cover a wide range of actions. It's short for 'go to place, destroy X, leave'. Mercs draw these a lot because the big guys want deniability. Sending troops across the border to blow up a desalinization plant would be an act of war - but you can't be blamed if a group of mercenaries hired by an anonymous employer does it!
  • Extraction Raids are basically the same, but it's 'steal X' instead of 'destroy X'. These can be dicer because kidnapping is still a crime even if you have a contract to do it.
  • Reconnaissance Raids are probing attacks, frequently in advance of bigger things (like invasions). You're generally dropped in with minimal support and told to poke the local defenders to see what they're packing and where they are. Obviously highly dangerous because of the lack of support, but you can often get by with minimal combat.
  • Diversionary Raid is just what it sounds like. It's an objective raid, but expressly to distract the defenders. So you're even more isolated and unsupported, and generally trying to get shot at. These are REALLY good paying for obvious reasons.
  • Planetary Assault is also obvious. You're part of an invasion force. Usually you're there either because the Successor State is spread thin during a major campaign or you're there as a supplement for niche duties. Either way, you're probably there for the long haul AND have to keep in mind that standard House units view you as disposable.
  • Pirate Hunting is the other bread and butter of mercs. House units don't want to bother because it's below them; militias don't want to bother because that would mean leaving their homes undefended. Frequently an easy payday since most pirates are disorganized, poorly equipped and are more interested in living to spend their loot than fighting. But we see here that 'pirates' are not always pirates.
  • Guerrilla Warfare is all kinds of bad. It pays great but you're utterly unsupported, in there for a long time and generally facing vastly superior opposition. It's a mix of diversionary raid, cadre duty and reconnaissance raid. And generally the bad parts of all of them.

There's other mission types - being kept on retainer, defensive campaigns, a wide variety of espionage - but those are more rare.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Some Battletech Fiction examples that I can think of.

Garrison Duty: The Black Thorns were hired to do this on the planet of Borghese. Their problem was the government decided later that being under the clans rule would be less damaging to their homeworld, and invited the Falcons in.

Pirate Hunting: The Kell Hounds were doing this on the Periphery when the Clans showed up for the first time in the Inner Sphere. They were going after Redjack Ryan

Objective Raid: From the 4th succession war, Justin Xiang (nee Allard), wanted to get his hands on an experimental Triple Strength Myomer that House Davion was working on, as a way to reverse the Capellan Confederation's losses. So, he launched several raids trying to pinpoint the lab that was testing these myomers. They ended up stealing it, which led to an event we'll discuss next.

Extraction Raid: Justin Allard had sent a warning to House Davion that the Liao Death Commandos were going to raid the JumpShip repair yards on Kathil (basically the ultimate dick move in a scavenger economy, these were generally considered off limits). Of course, the failure of the attack (and the fact that Comstar KNEW Justin Allard had sent a message) would tip the Capellans off that Justin Allard was a double agent, so, they sent the First Kathil Uhlans (fresh off their victory over the Death Commandos) to Sian to extract him. Now, normally, this would be.. highly unlikely, as Sian was the capital of the Capellan Confederation, and naturally, only the best troops in the best gear would have duty there. Of course, what they DIDN'T know is that the Triple Strength Myomer that Allard/Xiang had stolen and refit all the best House troops with would burn when it came into contact with a gas. It's kinda hard to fight a mech battle when your mech's skeleton is on fire. They were able to extract Allard and another spy.

Security Duty: Two cases, both involving the 13th Recon Regiment (Camacho's Caballero's). They were guarding Chandreskar Kurita (think a Buddha like hedonist who was a benevolent Machiavelli ). First on the planet of Towne, and then again on Luthien itself, where in one case, rival factions triggered attacks on them (on Towne, a group of hardcore Draconis Combine purists who thought that the Combine was getting too soft, and then again on Luthien, when the same group attempted a coup against Theodore Kurita.)

Planetary Assault: Usually, this is House Troops doing it, but Mercs can be contracted for auxillary duties (filling a hole in the invading force's TOE), or as the main hammer (if they're big enough and bad enough). If you get tasked with this, you're probably going to get either the poo poo jobs, or you're a top of the line merc regiment.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're privileged Randian Supermen in an almost purely atheistic society and are raised from birth to believe it's better to die than it is to fail. As such, chill Clanners are few and far between. If you meet a Clanner who isn't actively climbing the ladder to the top of the heap they've given up and are just biding their time until they can get themselves gloriously killed.

The Sea Foxes/Diamond Sharks actually let their warriors retire honorably to the Merchant caste, usually as leaders of merchant fleets. This means that the older and well-connected members of the clan are also the ones taking care of logistics.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Does MekHQ treat the different factions any differently? Are the DC more likely to screw you over? Will the Lyran Commonwealth pay better?

Essentially, is the OP's current contract screwing him over because it's Comstar, or is it because the game's engine is trying to give him a challenge?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

The Diamond Sharks seem to be one of the few clans who actually have their poo poo together, and I'm not just saying that because they made the Mad Cat Mk. 2

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just, y'know. Don't read Bloodname or Falcon Guard.

counterpoint: Freebirth, I Am Jade Falcon

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
What we expected from ComStar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXjhYImVFEI&t=260s

What we got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwqMiOzlOTw&t=138s

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

The Diamond Sharks seem to be one of the few clans who actually have their poo poo together, and I'm not just saying that because they made the Mad Cat Mk. 2

Some of them are at least visibly more...sane? If that is the right word. Hell Horses recognise the value of combined arms, Ghost Bear (at least nowadays) integrated with an Inner Sphere state, Wolf(in-Exile) is an edge case since they are barely hanging on and it was mostly Ulric Kerensky who made the warden Wolves more sensible like having mechs be more energy heavy to prevent themselves from running out of ammo, Snow Raven had a strong navy (not everyone is going to let you land mechs unopposed). Of course you also have the Diamond Sharks.

Not sure if I missed out any others, or maybe those whose insanity are more obvious.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Weissritter posted:

Some of them are at least visibly more...sane? If that is the right word. Hell Horses recognise the value of combined arms, Ghost Bear (at least nowadays) integrated with an Inner Sphere state, Wolf(in-Exile) is an edge case since they are barely hanging on and it was mostly Ulric Kerensky who made the warden Wolves more sensible like having mechs be more energy heavy to prevent themselves from running out of ammo, Snow Raven had a strong navy (not everyone is going to let you land mechs unopposed). Of course you also have the Diamond Sharks.

Not sure if I missed out any others, or maybe those whose insanity are more obvious.

Honestly, if anything Hell's Horses are a bit TOO obsessed with vehicles, and it's caused problems for them multiple times. For balanced combined arms you're more looking for structures like RCTs, and I want to say there are one or two Clans that get a bit closer to that ideal than the Horses.

If you're far enough in the history to have the Ghost Bears integrated with Rasalhague, than by that point so have the Snow Ravens (with the Outworlds Alliance) and the Goliath Scorpions (with Nueva Castile, though more accurately they conquered it and then integrated). Neither are Inner Sphere states (the Alliance is a major Periphery state, and Castile is in the Deep Periphery), but the general gist is the same. To stretch the point a bit, the Falcons, Wolves, Sharks, and Horses all had to make at least some slight changes as well since they're all now limited to their Inner Sphere holdings (or migratory within it, in the case of the Sharks).

Honestly, the Snow Ravens probably represent that integration the best simply because they're the only one that didn't actually conquer said people they integrated with - the Bears decisively conquered Rasalhague, they just eventually decided to allow the conquered some say in the government for certain reasons. On the other hand, Snow Raven forces were shattered during the Wars of Reaving before they wandered into Alliance space, so they didn't have the force to conquer it but still had the most overall power, thus both sides basically eventually came to the conclusion they had to reach an agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

SirFozzie posted:

It's kinda hard to fight a mech battle when your mech's skeleton is on fire.

Technically their muscles were on fire, but I'll let it pass because the idea of a bunch of flaming, skeletalized Battlemechs running around and screaming in the background while Kai walks up the Dropship ramp smoking a cigar is just too drat amusing to me.

• Locked thread