Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

lol that this largely flew under the radar today

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/976133540478767104

because jesus christ

Lmao

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Deteriorata posted:

Now we're dealing with those problems, and some tech will come along to fix that for us - electric cars, wind power, solar. They, in turn, will generate issues of their own that we don't understand or perceive now.

Such is technological history.

It is not written anywhere in the universe that technology will always lead toward progress and magically solve all of our various problems.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Saxophone posted:

If it gets solved, I wonder if it's going to be like the problems we had with horse feces. In the late 1800s/early 1900s horse feces was literally piling up in the streets. Large cities we're particularly bad. Entire lots were dedicated to being just massive piles of feces and even those filled up far faster than they could keep up with. No one had any clue how to deal with it and the problem kept piling up ( :rimshot: ).

Then, cars were invented and horses being used as transport lessened and eventually went away entirely, and, with it, the feces problem.

It was never really solved, just a byproduct of new technology.

I have to wonder if global warming won't be solved in some sort of weird, similar fashion.

uhh this is wrong as heck bro, people had brooms in the day. getting rid of horse crap and other street garbage is easy, you sweep it up into a can and haul that can away, somewhere else. people from history aren't stupid

you may be thinking "well new york city was covered with poo poo until the 1890's and it was america's largest city" and you would be right, because the new york city sanitation department was completely ineffective due to political corruption

elsewhere in the world people figured out how to keep the streets clean thousands of years ago. it's as simple as picking up the horse poo poo

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/when-new-yorkers-lived-knee-deep-in-trash/

scenes from new york before and after the "let's pick up the poo poo off the road" plan. turns out it works pretty well

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 21, 2018

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

paperwind posted:

It is not written anywhere in the universe that technology will always lead toward progress and magically solve all of our various problems.
Yeah there's an implicit assumption in there that the extinction of the human race or even just the permanent collapse of our civilization is sort of an out-of-bounds thing that can't actually happen. That somehow we'll pull through it. It might be the most dangerous idea in human history.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

Also in The Flash his Trickster is basically the Joker and he is amazing.
Yep! Still got it. :dance:

Do the needful, Chi-city. :toughguy:

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Everyone should check out the advertising information page on facebook. Not because it's chilling but because it's insane and hilarious. Everything about it is this weird mad AI profile that is way out of the bounds of any sort of sanity checking

https://www.facebook.com/ads/preferences/?entry_product=ad_settings_screen

my lifestyle:

my hobbies:

lifestyle:
https://flic.kr/p/25n5Swn

Hobbies:
https://flic.kr/p/22Bazo3

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Why did she pick this as her topic? I mean, I get it, first ladies need a cause, and most causes would look hypocritical considering Trump is the avatar of every vice known to man, but she could fight, I dunno, alcoholism without it being ridiculously hypocritical, and that's a worthwhile cause.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

paperwind posted:

lol he literally said "They, in turn, will generate issues of their own that we don't understand or perceive now."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She just pointed at a paper with topics her aides had written down. She just wanted a divorce and the American people forced this poo poo on her.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fulchrum posted:

Why did she pick this as her topic? I mean, I get it, first ladies need a cause, and most causes would look hypocritical considering Trump is the avatar of every vice known to man, but she could fight, I dunno, alcoholism without it being ridiculously hypocritical, and that's a worthwhile cause.

An elaborate ice burn on her husband.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
flickr really isn't the best image host.... can't zoom those enough to read them, plus you've put a name to your profile and kind of doxxed yourself a little.

This really was glorious.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 21, 2018

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Wark Say posted:

Yep! Still got it. :dance:

Do the needful, Chi-city. :toughguy:

Fortunately, he's in a turbo-Dem district, and the local GOP is apparently going to spend money against him as a face-saving effort.

Unfortunately, Lipinski won the primary, so the piece of poo poo blue dog is going to cruise to an easy victory.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I think my solution was best: go out to vote, but make your selections at random. I didn't know anything about the names on my ballot (since I don't get political ads to cutting out TV and radio from my life), so I just picked the candidates at random and turned in the ballot, not even remembering my exact picks five minutes later. That way, I can say I voted without actually caring about the outcome.

Hey, Vote by RNG is still better than no vote at all, right?

this is part of why I'm glad California makes getting mail in ballots so easy. I can sit down, read through the guide they send ahead of time, look up/google ballot measures, opinions, read up on positions and candidates, etc, and even fill out a sample ballot ahead of time so I already know what I wanna do when the real ballot arrives.

so so so much better than actually going to a poll location, and makes me take more care to understand what I'm voting for.

my spouse and I spent an evening going through all of the choices and talking about them and it was really nice :shobon:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cable Guy posted:

flickr really isn't the best image host.... can't zoom those enough to read them, plus you've put a name to your profile and kind of doxxed yourself a little.

Everybody knows who Uglycat actually is, he's posted it outright.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fulchrum posted:

From what I recall/interpret, it was originally a passive aggressive dig at all the people who dragged her online following her infamous plagiarized RNC speech disaster and her subsequent "I'mma hold a press conference to prove I'm a legal American citizen... no wait, I'm not, bye!" stunt, because that was her first real brush with widespread criticism, and let's be honest it did get really lovely in some sectors because it's the loving internet, of course it would, but yeah the irony of who her husband is and what he was famous for doing online was seemingly lost on her until fairly recently.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Write-in campaigns have defeated people who aren't Nazis, so local Republicans wanted the Nazi.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

This thread helped me make some sense of what the FB scraping actually meant, didn't see it posted. I'm not sure how to do the embed that previews the tweets.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/976125179049988097.html

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

BrandorKP posted:

Everybody knows who Uglycat actually is, he's posted it outright.

Gives me a dramatic advantage over the sockpuppets.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Why the gently caress does everyone have chicken as a hobby?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chadderbox posted:

Every activity feels like chicken.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just being goddamn alive is playing chicken. The world at one end, your sanity at the other.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chadderbox posted:

Protein for the gains bro.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

eyebeem posted:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Cross posting from the PNW thread:

http://www.king5.com/article/news/politics/bills-aimed-at-expanding-wa-voter-participation-signed-by-inslee/281-529996340

quote:

POLITICS
Bills aimed at expanding WA voter participation signed by Inslee
Under one of the measures, people can pre-register to vote starting at age 16.
Author: Natalie Brand
Published: 4:32 PM PDT March 19, 2018
Updated: 7:29 AM PDT March 20, 2018
Governor Jay Inslee signed a series of bills into law Monday, aimed at increasing participation in Washington state’s elections.

“You can think of them as the four horsemen of democracy,” Inslee told an auditorium of students at Foster High School in Tukwila where the signing ceremony was held.

One of the bills would expand pre-registering of teens, allowing 16 and 17-year-olds to sign up so they’re in the system when they turn 18 and can legally vote. Twelve other states and the District of Columbia currently allow pre-registration starting at 16.

“I think it will make a difference,” said senior Kobe Promvongsa who plans to vote for the first time in August during the primary election.

“I want to see people who represent me, who have the same interests as me, who want to better me and my community," Promvongsa continued.

Another bill signed into law will enact automatic voter registration for eligible Washington residents, starting in 2019. Currently, individuals have to opt-in for voter registration when applying for a driver’s license. Under the new system, you would have to opt-out.

A third bill will expand voter registration, starting in 2018, even allowing same day registration in person the night of elections, up until 8:00 p.m.

The Washington Voting Rights Act also passed this session, after stalling in the state legislature in past years. The legislation aims to increase minority representation by giving communities greater leverage, or the possibility of court challenges, if they want to transition from at-large to district elections.

"I have seen our schools and communities grow more diverse, but the makeup of elected bodies that represent us have not kept pace," said Ubah Aden, a speaker at the bill signing, who immigrated to Washington from Somalia.

Seattle and Yakima are examples of cities where city council members are elected by smaller districts, allowing individual communities to have a greater voice in who they choose to represent them.

RELATED: Lawsuit forces history-making district elections in Yakima

The final bill of the series expands campaign finance disclosure requirements by nonprofit organizations that are not defined as political committees.

While the package of legislation was considered a top priority this past session for Democratic lawmakers who currently hold a slim majority in Olympia, Republican Secretary of State Kim Wyman also calls the bills "a positive step forward."

"Your vote is actually really powerful," she told students on Monday. "Your vote does matter."

Wyman says her office will spend the rest of this year gearing up for implementation of the expanded registration in 2019.

"Not only do we want to have this unprecedented access which we're very excited about, we also have to build security on the other side," said Wyman. "We'll be working with our colleagues across the country to learn from their hard lessons and try to make sure our roll out is good for each one of these bills."

Inslee said Washington becomes second only to California to have all three registration related bills on the books, along with the Voting Rights Act. Various other states have individual measures already in place. For instance, Oregon passed automatic voter registration system in 2015.

“We know that this is an important bipartisan process that can lift registration and thus lift participation,” said Natalie Tennant, former Secretary of State from West Virginia who now works with the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law to advocate for increasing voter participation.

“This says a lot about the forward-thinking of Washington state," Tennant said of the package of bills. “People deserve to have their right to vote and they deserve to get registered to vote in an accessible, streamlined manner."

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 21, 2018

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

eyebeem posted:

Thanks to a bit of ignorance on the machines' part not only does everything in the Matrix taste like chicken, everything smells like, feels like, and exudes the very essence of chicken by its mere existence. And many of us are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the chicken that we will fight to protect it.

Were you listening to me? Or were you looking at the chicken in the red dress?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Meanwhile Mike Pence wrote a book about being vice president and also his bunny. The book became a best seller.

In the topic "Children's American historical fiction"

Katt fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 21, 2018

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So why isn't John Oliver's book the top seller in the same category? Isn't it the same basic subject matter?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
No, because John Oliver's book is not fiction. That bunny is definitely a homosexual.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pence is a 5 foot 10 stink bug, story checks out.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Fulchrum posted:

Pence is a 5 foot 10 stink bug, story checks out.

Fulchrum posted:

So why isn't John Oliver's book the top seller in the same category? Isn't it the same basic subject matter?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No, because John Oliver's book is not fiction. That bunny is definitely a homosexual.
I don't see Oliver's in the top 100... Pence's is #1 (hardcover) and #3 (kindle). Someone needs to camp out at the Mercer's... eyes out for several dozen boxes marked 'Amazon'

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Childrens-American-Historical-Fiction/zgbs/books/2956#1

Edit: Nope, there it is... #1 and #2 in all children's books.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Childrens/zgbs/books/4/ref=zg_bs_unv_b_2_2956_3
Pence's is #3 for hardcover, kindle edition doesn't rank.

Edit2: Duh... I read posts good me does....

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 21, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Fulchrum posted:

Probably because Olivers book was a top seller for books as a whole

while Pences book was a top seller for

books: no
children's books: no
children's historical books: no
Children's fictional historical books: eh sort of maybe I guess. Sure why not.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cable Guy posted:

I don't see Oliver's in the top 100... Pence's is #1 (hardcover) and #3 (kindle). Someone needs to camp out at the Mercer's... eyes out for several dozen boxes marked 'Amazon'

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Childrens-American-Historical-Fiction/zgbs/books/2956#1

Edit: Nope, there it is... #1 and #2 in all children's books.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Childrens/zgbs/books/4/ref=zg_bs_unv_b_2_2956_3
Pence's is #3 for hardcover, kindle edition doesn't rank.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That'll do
that'll do.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
The 1 Star reviews are all 5 stars in disguise....

quote:

Brilliant! I can't wait to read it to my kids. I'm rating it one star because I hate that I didn't think of this first! And to satisfy all of the negative people searching for like-minded comments that my verified purchase includes the words "hate" and "negative"... There you go.

quote:

1-star for leaving me wanting for more!

I want to know more about adorable Marlon Bundo and Wesley. But this book is only 40 pages long!

Though beautifully illustrated and a super sweet story, I'm just very disappointed that it couldn't have been longer. Perhaps they could have included a scene where Marlon and Wesley think they see a giant carrot in a suit, only to discover their error as the giant "carrot" chases them around an oval shaped office trying to hit them with a rolled up Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Well perhaps they will have more books in a series about the life and times of Marlon and Wesley the gay bunnies.

P.S. Did anyone else notice that the mean Mr. Stinkbug looked a bit like Mike Pence! Surely that's just a weird coincidence.

quote:

I bought this book expecting it to talk about bunnies and keep agendas aside. However, it sends out a message of love, happiness, freedom, and kindness. Is this what we are teaching our kids? Acceptance? Yuck. If people like Oliver keep doing such things, this country will really become the land of freedom and of the pursuit of happiness. Ewwww. We want oppression and sadness!

Also, hi Pence fans looking for bad reviews. Have a nice day. You’ve been played.

quote:

I originally thought of this book as an unfortunate way to troll the Vice President.

But, it is so much more than that. It is so much more than that. It is an answer to the question of who this country is really. Does the majority of America stand with those who create lame excuses to justify discrimination against the LGBT community or against them?

Maybe an explosion of sales will help convince the Vice President that the message here isn’t troll. The message is the honest earnest beliefs of a majority of Americans who are deeply troubled by his cavalier disregard for the voice and experiences of the LGBT community.

Maybe, every $20 is Americans begging you to address this with your Savior and let God show you the way to truth and love. If you keep your heart open to the LGBT community, you’ll get there eventually. And that is a message worth buying into.

quote:

Oh hi! You probably thought this 1 star rating was one of your #MAGA brethren. It’s not and I’m not. I’m proudly going to buy this book for my 2 year old and teach him inclusivity and love. Sorry John Oliver for the faux review. I think you’ll understand. #Resist

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Pakled posted:

It could be a calculated move. They weren't gonna win that seat in November anyway, and "the nazi won because he ran unopposed" is a better look than the potential situation of "our voters chose the nazi over the establishment-supported guy."

Bwhaha, no it's not. At least if they did run against him then they could say "See, our voters are just that poo poo in Illinois." and save face down the line in a decade or so when demographics have maybe changed. Now they'll be known as the guys who would rather a nazi win than bother to even try to oppose him.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Ok guys, case closed, it was a lone wolf/mentally ill person.

https://twitter.com/News4SA/status/976364317447684096

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/KrisB_KVUE/status/976373939013390338

Super white if bombs go off and he's taken in alive

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

canepazzo posted:

You can clearly see he's not wearing a MAGA hat, therefore is a Democrat. :smug:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cable Guy posted:

The 1 Star reviews are all 5 stars in disguise....

Nope. They're several pages back, but the ones from the fake Christians are in fact there. Most also don't seem to have actually been a verified purchase of the book though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/KrisB_KVUE/status/976373939013390338

Super white if bombs go off and he's taken in alive

https://twitter.com/JasonWhitely/status/976375544072695808
Wait he's dead nevermind