Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

There's also an item at the barracks with the knight before you enter town thats hidden in a crate/horse/the barracks? I think it's a +2 armor ring

It's really funny how arthas has gone from soloing whole factions to getting beaten by footmen with the campaign change. Rip chaos damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

lobster22221 posted:

I loved the wc3 editor, it was more complicated than starcraft's, but still easy enough to figure out. The gui coding was perfect most of the time(JASS was better because of local variables and the ability to avoid memory leaks), and was relatively intuitive. The ability to create custom objects instead of just modifying existing units was an enormous boon. Literally you just chose a base unit and modified it. There were some restrictions that definitely made things harder(No way to turn a unit based on a unit into a hero, not all abilities had all fields, flags were set and could be renamed at most, but the editor did not reflect the modified values), but it was still really flexible.

Being able to reskin units/buildings or alter their basic abilities, rather than just changing the numbers involved, was the really huge thing. But I felt like some of the basic stuff was pointlessly obfuscated, like, compared to Starcraft 1, adding a trigger that just gave resources to someone when a certain condition was fulfilled, felt like navigating a labyrinth. Or, at least, that's how I felt about it at the time. I might have just been retarded.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I know the actual answer is because the game actually has to have the player do something other than just watch Arthas solo everything... but does the game even attempt to explain why Frostmourne no longer gives him crazy buffs? I mean hand waving away the lack of Paladin skills/stats is an easy 'lost his connection to the light' or whatever, but I was under the impression this sword was a big deal.

Looking forward to the coming updates. If my memory serves the abandoned lp from a few years back stopped updating a mission or two from here, so curious to see whats next.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Gameplay wise, it’d make the campaign ridiculously easy if Arthas had chaos damage from the start. Lorewise... eh, I could see something like the Lich King covertly giving him a temporary power surge to kill Mal’ganis.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

Being able to reskin units/buildings or alter their basic abilities, rather than just changing the numbers involved, was the really huge thing. But I felt like some of the basic stuff was pointlessly obfuscated, like, compared to Starcraft 1, adding a trigger that just gave resources to someone when a certain condition was fulfilled, felt like navigating a labyrinth. Or, at least, that's how I felt about it at the time. I might have just been retarded.

Oh yeah, custom models, textures, and even UI/Loading screens was incredible.

As for resource triggers, it was easy enough. I went into w3 editor just to make sure, but it was straight forward. Assuming you have an event to trigger it, the image shows the action you would call.

There were a few things you needed to watch out for involving memory leaks in events that got called a lot, and if you were using Scripting instead of gui, some of the availible functions could desync players if used badly.

One thing that amuses me is that people started to feel limited by the scripting, and created a mod for the editor that improved it.

I also tried to find that item in the undead campaign. Even if you cheat it is a pain in the rear end to find, and it is just gauntlets of ogre strength + 3. Which is good for the first level, but definitely not worth the time. There are some easter egg items that I don't know the location of in the campaigns.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Death knights are strange. They only really have two good skills but they are utterly amazing to the point of probably being too strong. Animate dead isn't very useful unfortunately. You have no control of whether it will reanimate a knight or a peasant. The units being invulnerable is a downside since it means they can't be attacked at all so the AI will ignore them and instead go after your real units. :shrug:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I mentioned before that the Undead Campaign was what attracted me to WC3. It brings back memories of great fun. I was one of the clever people luring Knights into traps btw. :D

Funny how you can put your normally high morals on hold when playing a character who’s not supposed to care about such things.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Poil posted:

Death knights are strange. They only really have two good skills but they are utterly amazing to the point of probably being too strong. Animate dead isn't very useful unfortunately. You have no control of whether it will reanimate a knight or a peasant. The units being invulnerable is a downside since it means they can't be attacked at all so the AI will ignore them and instead go after your real units. :shrug:

IIRC the Invulnerability part of Animate Dead was added for that exact reason - to take the edge off of accidentally raising something that wasn't very good at damage output, in which case you could at least use it for body-blocking.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And here I could’ve sworn reading somewhere that every unit has a “value score” for the purposes of Animate Dead/Ressurect (with the idea being that the spells would prioritize bringing back the highest-scored units in range first).

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Kith posted:

IIRC the Invulnerability part of Animate Dead was added for that exact reason - to take the edge off of accidentally raising something that wasn't very good at damage output, in which case you could at least use it for body-blocking.

Is there a source for that? And does that source have reasoning for other design decisions?

Edit: I looked up what Regalingualius mentioned, the old official site says "Up to 6 units can be resurrected. The spell will choose the most powerful corpses to resurrect if there are more than 6."

Since each unit has a level defined in the editor, I'd assume it goes off of that.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 20, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's good, I didn't know that.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Of course, in the heat of things, it's tough tell what the exact range of the skill is. So those two knights you wanted to resurrect are juuuuust outside the circle and you raise a peasant and footman instead.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Drakenel posted:

Of course, in the heat of things, it's tough tell what the exact range of the skill is. So those two knights you wanted to resurrect are juuuuust outside the circle and you raise a peasant and footman instead.

Hahaha, right?

When I was looking up the animate dead mechanics, I learned that what people apparently do is pick up corpses inside meat wagons, and then reanimate those. I had never thought about that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So who are you supposed to be, moving units and building buildings in the undead campaign? An acolyte of some description?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Glazius posted:

So who are you supposed to be, moving units and building buildings in the undead campaign? An acolyte of some description?

Probably the will of the Lich King at this point.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Probably gonna be Thassarian again

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I must confess, I really enjoyed the Undead campaign too. There's a bunch that I want to say about their gameplay, too, but we'll wait until they actually start building structures.

Important thing to note is Arthas' line in response to Tichondrius' congratulations. The line reading on that was fabulous. Ever since the final missions of the Human Campaign, Arthas has sounded as though he was overcome by anger, barely holding it together. And then with this line, he's suddenly... cold. The anger's burnt out, and left him empty. From now on, a lot of his dialogue will be coldly amused at everything.

Arthas is now a Death Knight, which used to be an Orcish unit in older games? His lines will change. Something I'm not really sure of though, has Arthas died and then raised by Frostmourne?

Anyway, I'm going to cover Arthas, Ghouls, Shades and Tichondrius in this update. I'll do the "generic hero" lines during a slow update, and do the "Global Undead" voice once we get to building bases.

Tichondrius is never under player control, but I do remember a bunch of his lines from DoTA. I guess he was never meant to be playable character, which is why he has so few lines.
Line time!

Ready lines are used by units when they're produced.

What lines are used when they're initially selected.

Yes lines are used when they're given a move order.

Attack lines are used when they're given an attack order.

Warcry is used randomly for Attack when attacking hero characters. (Thanks to Drakenel for the correction)

Pissed is what you get when you keep clicking a unit and it exhausts the What lines.

Special is for builder units, and for certain special units, e.g. Uther, who is an AI-controlled character.

Acolyte:

Ready
  • The damned stand ready.

What
  • My life for Ner'zhul.
  • I wish only to serve.
  • Thy bidding, master?
  • Where shall my blood be spilled?
  • I bow to your will.

Yes
  • Yes, master.
  • I gladly obey.
  • My fate is sealed.
  • Thy will be done.

Attack
  • Death shall reign.
  • Fear the Reaper! (A reference to Don't Fear the Reaper, a song by Blue Öyster Cult)
  • Let life cease!

Warcry
  • I'm sanctified!

Pissed
  • This is the hour of the Scourge!
  • Death shall cleanse the world!
  • All I see is blackness. Oh, my hood's down.
  • Let blood drown the weak!
  • My life for Aiur... er– I– I mean Ner'Zhul. (A reference to the Protoss from StarCraft, another Blizzard game.)
  • The living be cursed!
  • Would you like to know the secret to eternal happiness? Page 246. (A reference to "Dianetics" by L. Ron Hubbard)
  • Once you head down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. And you get dental. (A reference to Star Wars)

Special
  • I cannot summon there.
  • May only summon under blighted ground.

Ghoul:

Mostly growls and snarls. But some of the lines are sort-of understandable.

What
  • Wazzup?
  • Must feed!

Pissed
  • Me eat dead people!" (A reference to the The Sixth Sense)
  • Me scary.
  • Me eat brains! (A reference to the The Return of the Living Dead)
  • No guts, no gory" (A play on the popular phrase, "no guts, no glory".)

Shade:

Ready
  • The damned return.

What
  • I shall be your eyes.
  • My sight is yours.
  • What needs revealing?

Yes
  • Let's see...
  • I'll look into it...
  • All shall be revealed.
  • I go unseen.

Attack
  • More souls for the master!
  • Dieeeeeeeeeeeee!
  • Let screams fill the air!
  • Feel my wrath!
  • For the master!

Warcry
  • Glory to the Scourge!

Pissed
  • I am but a shadow of my former self. (The idiom about growing old.)
  • What I do in death echoes in eternity. (Reference to Maximus in Gladiator)
  • Death is its own reward. (parody of a credit company ad campaign)
  • I'm having a mid-death crisis.
  • (singing) I-I-I-I ain't got no bo-o-o-o-ody! (A reference to the song "I Got Nobody", also sung in the same way by Igor in Young Frankenstein)
  • I'm invisible, gaseous, and deadly.

Tichondrius:

What
  • What is it now?
  • I grow tired of waiting.
  • Insufferable lout.
  • I have better things to do.

Yes
  • For now.
  • I'll play along.

Attack
  • Die fool.
  • I must feed.
  • Your life will sustain me.

Warcry
  • Ash nazg gimbatul! (Part of the inscription in the Black Speech from the One Ring in Lord of the Rings)

Pissed
  • Dreadlords… do it in the dark.
  • I get cranky when I haven't been fed.
  • I must feast upon souls!
  • The Legion needs… a better dental plan. These fangs are killing me!
  • Darkness… needs to get DSL. His line is always busy.

Arthas:

What
  • Speak, fool!
  • No one orders me around!
  • Tread lightly.
  • What is it now?

Yes
  • Finally.
  • Frostmourne hungers.
  • This is more like it.
  • Ah! At last.

Attack
  • For the Lich King!
  • Faithless coward!
  • You will know endless torment!
  • Your pain shall be legendary!
  • I'll make sure you suffer.
  • Now Frostmourne!

Warcry
  • Glory to the Scourge!

Pissed
  • I was a fool to trust in the light.
  • The Lich King has given me true power!
  • I will be twice the king my father ever was. (A reference to the Lion King)
  • Lordaeron will be reborn.
  • Who is this 'darkness' anyway? (Referring to the 'darkness' quotes of the Dreadlord)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Undead campaign is great. I love Arthas retains his own personality as an enforcer of the Scourge, just that said personality is now a sarcastic rear end in a top hat.

The Undead get some pretty unique mechanics, some interesting and fun missions, you get to eradicate an entire kingdom of elves and then you get to deal with Under A Burning Sky :getin:

Also the "Darkness called" running joke is amazing and I love it. Blizzard has even carried it over into Arthas' lines in Heroes of the Storm. I won't link those though, there's an unavoidable spoiler there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SirSamVimes posted:

Also the "Darkness called" running joke is amazing and I love it. Blizzard has even carried it over into Arthas' lines in Heroes of the Storm. I won't link those though, there's an unavoidable spoiler there.

Not just Arthas, but numerous other Heroes as well. And not just Warcraft Heroes, either, a fair number of Heroes from the other franchises also reference it. Darkness really gets around.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I thought Shades couldn't attack, interesting that they have attack lines.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
You ain't the only one.

Every place that I've looked up says that the Shade has no attack. I don't have WC3 installed, so I can't verify if it has an attack at all. Honestly, I can't even remember if the Acolyte has an attack either.

I guess that they recorded the lines, and then decided not to give it an attack?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
To clarify, the player character doesn't actually represent any particular character; DN is simply doing that for his own narrative purposes.

As for Death Knights formerly being Orc units, well. Things get a bit complicated. You see, Arthas is the first of what gets called "Second Generation Death Knights". The first generation of Death Knights were created by Gul'dan in the Second War (AKA Warcraft 2), and were the souls of slaughtered Orc Warlocks bound into the corpses of fallen human Knights from Stormwind. The Necrolytes from Warcraft 1 were sacrificed to be... essentially used as glue and batteries to make it all work.

Thing is, most of those Death Knights ended up following Ner'zhul into the Twisting Nether after the events of Beyond the Dark Portal tore Draenor apart. They, along with the loyal Shadowmoon Orcs that went as well, were torn apart and remade into Liches to serve Ner'zhul's will in death. Yes, Liches like we fought in the previous Human Campaign.

Arthas is a new generation of Death Knight with similar powers (but not the same; no Death and Decay for Arthas!), but also a much stronger bent toward physical combat. Many Second Gen. Death Knights were, like Arthas, Paladins that ended up losing their faith and falling to darkness.

There is another, Third generation of Death Knights later, but those are just WoW player characters. The less said about that here, the better.

And finally, yes, the Shade does have attack quotes. It does mean that if other, more aggressive units decide to use their voice, it still works because they have attack quotes!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

painedforever posted:

You ain't the only one.

Every place that I've looked up says that the Shade has no attack. I don't have WC3 installed, so I can't verify if it has an attack at all. Honestly, I can't even remember if the Acolyte has an attack either.

I guess that they recorded the lines, and then decided not to give it an attack?

I mean if they didn't have attack lines, what would happen if a custom unit was given the shade voice and the ability to attack? Just dead silence?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean if they didn't have attack lines, what would happen if a custom unit was given the shade voice and the ability to attack? Just dead silence?

Yes.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

In fact, there's a curious example of this; a character we'll meet a few chapters from now who is never controllable while alive, anyway has lines for, as painedforever categorizes them, "What", "Warcry", and "Pissed". But not for "Yes" or "Attack". As a result, she's completely silent when you're giving her commands except for the occasional right-click on an enemy hero, when the Warcry triggers.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I don't think you ever get to control a Dreadlord during the Undead campaign, which seems like an oversight, even though it makes some sense in context.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

davidspackage posted:

I don't think you ever get to control a Dreadlord during the Undead campaign, which seems like an oversight, even though it makes some sense in context.

I actually thought Tichondrius should join in on some of the missions.....particularly the last one.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Indeed you don't, until expansion. Dreadlords are the only hero you don't get to try for at least one mission, though as we saw with Jaina you don't necessarily see all their abilities.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

davidspackage posted:

You get one in the expansion, but he has some different abilities from the vanilla dreadlord.

efb

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Arthas's "Congratulate me?" is my favorite delivery in this game. The slight surprise, hostility, and contempt all packed into a couple words is great.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

You get one in the expansion, but he has some different abilities from the vanilla dreadlord.

efb
It's been a while since I've looked at Frozen Throne's Undead campaign, but I thought that Varimathras was exactly the same as a regular Dreadlord just with a Fire Orb equipped by default and a unique portrait.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

It's been a while since I've looked at Frozen Throne's Undead campaign, but I thought that Varimathras was exactly the same as a regular Dreadlord just with a Fire Orb equipped by default and a unique portrait.

I believe he gets a different ability to Inferno.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
The editor has Varimathras listed as having sleep, vampiric aura, rain of fire, and doom.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I don't think there's an actual relevant Dreadlord who has their correct kit across both games.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

McTimmy posted:

I don't think there's an actual relevant Dreadlord who has their correct kit across both games.

Yeah, now that I think about it, Tichondrius and Balnazzar have Rain of Chaos (hey, that's the name of the game!) instead of Inferno, and Detheroc has Death and Decay. That said, I can't remember what Mal'Ganis is packing, and there's also ice and lightning-focused dreadlords that show up in a cutscene coming up shortly. The lightning guy IIRC shows up again in the final mission of the game, and I can't remember what his abilities are either.

I think it's kinda cool actually, gives each dreadlord a bit more personality than they would have had otherwise.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

FrenchBen posted:

The Magnaron, who in turn created the Gronn, then the Ogres and from there the Orcs. All because when one of the Titans came to Draenor, he noticed that plant-people and their gods were going to overrun everything on the planet eventually, and thus decided something needed to be done about that. The rest is history.

The titan that did it was Aggramar, who was the second most warlike of the titans after Sargeras, and he did it as a side project while trying to find out what happened to Sargeras (who was in the middle of going nuts and starting the burning legion). IIRC, this is why so many races on Draenor have strong warrior cultures and why the planet isn't as ordered as Azeroth - it never got the pantheon's full attention and the one who did wasn't really good at creating solutions to problems other than "idk, make something that can beat the poo poo out of the problem"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

ninjahedgehog posted:

That said, I can't remember what Mal'Ganis is packing, and there's also ice and lightning-focused dreadlords that show up in a cutscene coming up shortly. The lightning guy IIRC shows up again in the final mission of the game, and I can't remember what his abilities are either.

None of these guys have the melee dreadlord layout either. instead of vamp aura and inferno, mal'ganis has a pair of spells to turn peasants into zombies and warp them around the map, and the other guy just has rain of chaos and that's it because he only has three abilities

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

lobster22221 posted:

Is there a source for that?

Nope! I'm just going off of what I remember from when I was big into the WCIII modding scene.

Aces High posted:

I thought Shades couldn't attack, interesting that they have attack lines.

They can't. It was added in case the Shade soundset was added to a unit that could attack. WCIII was designed to be extremely mod friendly.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Kith posted:

They can't. It was added in case the Shade soundset was added to a unit that could attack. WCIII was designed to be extremely mod friendly.

Also, if you group units I believe you can issue an attack command while a unit that cannot attack is the selected one (and talks) but I could be misremembering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Chapter XV: Digging up the Dead

Hello everyone and welcome back to Andorhal once again.

: Are you actually serious right now?
: Yes.
: You're telling me that you never saw a meat wagon in that entire campaign against Mal'Ganis.
: Well...
: I know for a fact you personally destroyed a caravan of them outside of Hearthglen.
: Thassarian, shut up.

: Can you not simply raise the remains when we find them?
: Pardon, Lord, but a being of Kel'Thuzad's power can only be renimated at a nexus of powerful ley-energies, and there are no such places in this land.
: Very well, then let's move out.

This mission starts us with limited resources, but that will change very quickly.

Meat wagons are the primary siege weapon of the undead. They have a really nice synergy with necromancers in that they can be told to automatically pick up corpses from the battlefield and store them. Then on command they can deposit them on the ground to give you a quick disposable army.

This first section is just a linear path to an orange human base. No need to have Arthas and the ghouls waste time on the buildings when we have 3 siege weapons. So let's bring those up...

It can be a little hard to see, but the meat wagons actually hurl dead bodies to cause siege damage. That's hosed up and kinda disgusting. But it works!

There's a small human camp past the tower. Nothing much here, though. Once we move a bit farther in...

: Arthas! Stop this madness before it is too late!
: Stand aside, brother. I've come to collect some old bones, and I don't wish to be disturbed.

The meat wagons cause a lot of damage to enemies, but they have the usual splash damage to melee problem. Normally I wouldn't care, but we are tight on resources for the moment.

This is Gavinrad the Dire. He's a level 2 Paladin, and is actually one of the founding members of the Silver Hand, along with Uther.

: I can't believe that we ever called you brother! I knew it was a mistake to accept a spoiled prince into our order. You've made a mockery of the Silver Hand!
: I told you to stand aside. You should have listened.

Gavinrad's camp is just a couple farms, some tents, and a barracks. So we'll just let the meat wagons handle this. Interesting to note is that the wagons can't pick up hero corpses. So Gavinrad will just have to rot where he fell.

Looks like Kel'Thuzad got a pretty swanky tomb.

: Told you my death would mean little.
: What the... Am I hearing ghosts now?

Some time later...

: Quel'Thelas?
: What do the elves have to do with this?
: Only the energies of the high elves' sunwell can bring Kel'Thuzad back to life.
: Then what must be done?
: You must steal a special urn from the paladins' keeping. Place the necromancer's remains within it, and he will be well protected for the journey.
: As you wish.

Between cutscenes the game teleported us to a different part of the map. We've now got a new force of undead and we're outside of a gold mine. So time to cover some base building mechanics!

: The undead must haunt the gold mine before the acolytes can begin harvesting gold.
: I don't need to know this. I don't care. Tell Thassarian.
: *sigh* Very well.

This large building is the Necropolis. It's the undead version of the Town Hall.

: Unlike the stupid peasants that the living use, we acolytes are much more efficient. We merely need to carve some runes in the ground and the building will summon itself, leaving us free to other important jobs.

This weird construction over the gold mine is the haunting that Kel'Thuzad mentioned.

: I've scouted to the south. There appear to be some rock golems wandering around back there. So I don't believe we'll be attacked from that direction.
: No. Tichondrius is taking care of the settlement back there. We should instead focus all of our defensive efforts to the north. The living will not be pleased at our incursion.

This mission is a perfect training ground. There are trees everywhere, and the gold mine may as well be infinite. To even approach using all that gold, we'd have to literally carpet every square inch of the level in blight. Not that I've... y'know... done that in the past or anything.

Also worth pointing out, if we get a bunch of acolytes and right click the mine, they'll automatically start harvesting once the haunting finishes.

: Blight is created when undead structures are summoned. Buildings can only be summoned on to blight with the exception of the Necropolis.
: Isn't that unnecessarily limiting?
: To the contrary. Think about all the bases you designed during your time with Arthas. You clustered buildings together anyway, correct?
: That's true...

: When standing on blight, wounded undead units also regenerate faster.

Mechanically, the undead are a combination of the zerg and protoss. The blight has the same mechanics as the zerg creep, while the worker units summon in buildings like the protoss.

A crypt is the undead version of the barracks.

And when the gold mine is thoroughly haunted, acolytes stand in a circle outside of it periodically summoning gold. They don't have to walk back to the necropolis, they just magic the gold out of the mine.

The graveyard here is a combination of the blacksmith and the lumber mill for the undead. However, acolytes don't harvest trees.

: Summoning a graveyard will supply the undead army with fresh corpses.

And, yes, the graveyard periodically creates fresh corpses around it. Undead bases are actually among the easiest the defend from the AI for this and several other reasons.

Yes, you're reading that right. The basic melee unit for the undead are also their lumber harvesting unit. Just by virtue of having some ghouls harvesting wood nearby, you'll always have defenders in your base.

: Ghouls harvest lumber for the undead army.

We saw plenty of these in the human campaign. This is the ziggurat. This building pulls double duty for the undead. It not only acts like farms, but it's also their defensive tower. Can you see just why I like the undead so much? Once you get entrenched somewhere, it becomes incredibly hard to dislodge you.

We've had base building control for four minutes, and we've already got most of the framework of a base under construction. Humans wish they could be this efficient.

Like necropolises (necropoli?) ziggurats spread blight when they finish summoning.

And like I mentioned, they also double as defensive towers. So several well placed ziggurats can pretty well lock down your base from nosy neighbors in a way that other races wish they could do.

: The necromancers living in the graveyard believe they can make our ghouls stronger and more resilient. I've already given them the funds they requested.
: Well done. The base is also shaping up nicely.
: I can't believe how quickly the acolytes work. We were very lucky that Mal'Ganis was an incompetent fool. Someone that knew what they were doing could have completely overrun the land before the humans had a chance to retaliate.
: We'll test that theory against the elves. I can't wait to see the look on Kael'Thas' face as his 10,000 year dynasty burns around him.

: The living! The living attack!

: Come, ghouls, lunchtime!

With the summoning of a third ziggurat, we finish the second of three quests for the level. Now we just need to kill a bunch of paladins.

We actually have the second tier of necropolis available already. We need the Halls of the Dead to summon the building that lets us construct meat wagons. The Halls of the Dead also will attack any nearby enemy units.

Moving on, the altar of darkness (in green) lets us resurrect dead heroes. The ziggurat next to it has turned into a spirit tower, and will now attack anything hostile that wanders nearby.

Building more ziggurats to turn into spirit towers...

More footmen suicide charging the undead base...

This is the slaughterhouse. It produces meat wagons.

: I'm taking some ghouls and I'm going to see what's down to the south.
: Tichondrius was last seen headed down that way, so keep an eye out for him.

A rock golem isn't very threatening to six ghouls and Arthas.

: This town looks familiar...

I believe this settlement here is meant to be the base Arthas constructed last time he was near Andorhal. The area over near the rock golems looked an awful lot like the area near the mining camp that Jaina oversaw.

A sasquatch pops out of the trees south of the village.

West of the sasquatch clearing we find some sleepy villagers.

: I must feast on souls!

Tichondrius then systematically kills every villager in the same greusome fashion.

: I grow tired of waiting.

Jumping ahead several minutes, I finally decided to set up a clear marker of the edge of the base. Six spirit towers will discourage further attacks by the blue footmen.

Like that. Those footmen were a little too nosy.

Just north of the base is a small plateau.

A rogue wizard and his two apprentices have made camp here. They're free XP that get Arthas his next level, and the next rank of Unholy Aura. There's also a bunch of trees up there, but there's nothing else there that I could find.

If you notice the time of day changing a lot, it's because I'm liberally skipping around. Nobody needs to see me systematically destroying every tree that I'm curious about with the meat wagons. Consider this update the cliff notes version of an hour of me loving around.

: Vile betrayer! You are not fit enough to even carry your father's name! Why Uther ever vouched for you is beyond me. You've stripped him of his honor by casting yours to the winds!
: If he lost his honor so easily, then he didn't have much to begin with.
: You deserve a gruesome death, boy!
: Come and get me, then. *cackle*

It's probably mean to lead him into the meat grinder like this. But it's also effective. Six spirit towers don't gently caress around, and all this jerkbag has as defense are some militia men.

: Where's that smug sense of superiority now, brother?
: gently caress you...

: This is a perfect site for a second camp. Thassarian, send over an acolyte!

: Build a necropolis here. We're going to tear down this forest.

While that's building, we're going to stand guard down here in case more nosy footmen wander by. Knights may hit hard, but 10 ghouls and a death knight ensure they can't do too much damage.

And right after, the next wave of footmen wander by.

I'm eternally annoyed at cobblestone streets. They unnecessarily limit where you can build, which makes setting up defensive ziggurats kind of a pain here. We're going to need all 10 ghouls working around the clock to clear the forest, so defensive structures are kinda necessary here.

Why are we clearing the trees? You'll see!

Meanwhile I've got eight spirit towers under construction. Ain't nobody getting through that.

So while the ghouls work, here's a few shots of their progress.

Here's where those annoying blue footmen come from.

Turns out that the meat wagons can reach the barracks from just behind those houses.

Ah! We're almost through.

Bring a unit to the mouth of the waterfall and we get some artwork from Samwise Didier. One person that hangs around the WoW subforum (and LP) likes to call Pandaren collectively Samwise's fursona. I don't know about all that, but he does like to draw them. To hear him explain it...

Samwise, on Blizzard's podcast posted:

...for some reason, I decided to do like a panda guy because, actually, also like 'Samwise', 'Panda' is my nickname because I'm kind of a big hairy bear dude, but I'm not very fearsome. <Laughs> So I got the nickname 'Panda.'

Anyway, that cute piece of artwork was all I wanted to show off. Now let's skip ahead 10 realtime minutes into the future when I've finally stopped deforesting the upper portion of the level.

The next paladin is actually just in front of the barracks that was harassing us for half the mission.

: Light have mercy on you! Your betrayal has broken Uther's heart, boy. He would have given his life for yours in a second and this is how you repay his loyalty?
: I'll have to take him up on that if I see him again.

Sage Truthbearer was holding some gloves that let you attack 15% faster. Arthas snags those and will probably never drop them.

If you don't screw around deforesting the level like I did, the mission is actually incredibly short. The last paladin is just across this land bridge.

And there he is.

: Very dramatic, Uther. Give me the urn, and I'll make sure you die quickly.
: The urn holds your father's ashes, Arthas! What, were you hoping to piss on them one last time before you left his kingdom to rot?
: *laugh* I didn't know what it held. Nor does it matter. I'll take what I came for one way or another.

Same old Uther. Shields himself the first time he takes damage. That ghoul missing 90% of its HP was also because he cast Holy Light in it. As a level 10 paladin, Uther doesn't gently caress around. He hurts. A lot. And because he's invulnerable, there's no point in even trying to fight him at the moment.

Uther is the orange bar in the middle. Those four health bars surrounding him are all that's left of all the ghouls we brought to face him.

In the end, it's just Arthas, Uther, and all the meat wagons.

: I dearly hope that there's a special place in hell waiting for you, Arthas.
: We may never know, Uther. I intend to live forever.

I wanted to explore the island Uther was camped on, but there's nothing there. So let's skip a lot of faffing about and pick up the urn...

: Tell him nothing! Only you and Thassarian can hear me. The dreadlords cannot be trusted. They are the Lich King's jailors! I will tell you all...when I walk this earth again.
: Prince Arthas!
: What?
: Did you hear a word I said?
: Let's hurry to Quel'Thelas. I'm eager to kill some elves.

Looks like the victory screen counted Uther as the only enemy hero, despite all four colors having one.

NEXT TIME: The Dreadlords Convene & Into the Realm Eternal

• Locked thread