Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
spellcasting has been good since launch, friend

sorceries are PvE easymode because you just backpedal and whiff punish with spells a lot and stack sorcery boosters to murder things faster. pyromancies are stupid good and with pyro damage stats you have access to the best pvp infusion in the game, which is dark(or chaos for dagger ripostes), and if you're a newer player extra healing from miracles(and tears) are very useful(and lightning arrow is great).

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Into usability? Spell casting in DS3 has always been good. Being a "pure" caster with no weapons is still hard as balls resource management, but that's the nature of the beast.

Grab a raw weapon or your gimmick caster weapon of choice and roll over dudes in PvE all day. PvP is trickier, but there's always spells that agree useful to slap on just about any build.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
just be prepared to get kicked in the junk if you make the mistake of embering.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Nameless King is a god drat rear end in a top hat

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Nameless King is a good man, and my close friend.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
he is a LOT simpler with magic

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

when ds3 launched sorcery felt hella weak so i've just never given it a go

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

juggalo baby coffin posted:

when ds3 launched sorcery felt hella weak so i've just never given it a go

Yeh but they improved elemental infusions so your weapons will always be strong. You'll have to read npc quest guidelines and do a couple of ng+ cycles to see absolutely everything tho.

Motherfucker: farron lore tells you how to pvp with magic. (Fast spells + mix-ups)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm replaying with a pyromancy build and 2 shot the Irithyll bridge beast with Chaos Bed Vestiges.

Cool

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

asio posted:

Yeh but they improved elemental infusions so your weapons will always be strong. You'll have to read npc quest guidelines and do a couple of ng+ cycles to see absolutely everything tho.

Yeah in NG at least now you can just use your weapon for everything and then throw in magic when you're feeling spicy or need something dead fast. The most disappointing thing about magic now is that there was no Sage Ring +3 in the DLCs.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Someone needs to clear this up for me before I get a ban from just alt+f4'ing out of the game repeatedly.

Can you get invaded while sitting at bonfire the same way you can be summoned to assist?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Andrigaar posted:

Someone needs to clear this up for me before I get a ban from just alt+f4'ing out of the game repeatedly.

Can you get invaded while sitting at bonfire the same way you can be summoned to assist?

Yes. It will make you stand up automatically when you're getting invaded.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Andrigaar posted:

No. Sitting at a bonfire makes you immune to invasions after an early patch. The only thing that should kick you out of a bonfire menu is if an enemy gets too close. You can also get kicked out if the invasion starts JUST as you're sitting down, and before the sitting protection is applied, though.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Tarezax posted:

Yes. It will make you stand up automatically when you're getting invaded.

Well that's really annoying.

The last invader, like almost all of them, had serious lag. Roughly minimum half-second delay between any hits registering. And he got a parry while I was tapping a rapier R1 in his face between the 3rd and 4th face stab that he was reeling back from until the sudden moment I was being counter-stabbed dead.

I like messages on the floor, but I'm sorely close to playing in offline mode to avoid this poo poo.

E:

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

No. Sitting at a bonfire makes you immune to invasions after an early patch. The only thing that should kick you out of a bonfire menu is if an enemy gets too close. You can also get kicked out if the invasion starts JUST as you're sitting down, and before the sitting protection is applied, though.

This is more what I figured. And it would explain the awful lag.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Sorry for the bad info, I was working off the way things worked in Dark Souls 1 and didn't realize that had been patched out. I've never sat embered at a bonfire long enough to know that I was protected from invasions.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Good info, but either way I just jumped into offline mode. Two players in the Grand Archives kept invading me within 30 seconds of respawning. Like we were the only three players on the server.

I just want the extra HP from being embered, man... but this poo poo is unacceptable.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Just die to them dude. There is a really long cooldown on invasions even if you ember up immediately after dying but if you alt-f4 the cooldown doesn't trigger and you can get invaded again right away.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I got bored struggling through the DS2 DLC's so I thought I'd play this again. I haven't played in a while, building a pretty safe quality build. I think I already have a quality build and a pyromancer. Whats something fun? Sorcerer might be cool, but ive never been great with spellcasting and my ds2 dude I just played is a sorcerer. I thought maybe bleed build but then heard bad things since a patch and turned my thief into quality.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Charles Bukowski posted:

I got bored struggling through the DS2 DLC's so I thought I'd play this again. I haven't played in a while, building a pretty safe quality build. I think I already have a quality build and a pyromancer. Whats something fun? Sorcerer might be cool, but ive never been great with spellcasting and my ds2 dude I just played is a sorcerer. I thought maybe bleed build but then heard bad things since a patch and turned my thief into quality.
Go whole hog on one damage stat (either Strength or Dex) instead of raising both to average levels. Results can be quite dramatic, especially for Strength. I'm playing with Vordt's right now and it's absurd how much I'm clowning on everything, and I haven't even gotten to really high Strength levels yet - "just" 30 and two-handing all the time. If you reach 66 (for 99 when two-handed), you can do some completely bonkers damage with the heavy weapons.

In a similar vein, expect good thing from something like 60 Dex on a sharp Katana. It's better to specialize now afair, quality is still okay obviously but you save a lot of points by going heavy into one stat which means you can fashion up, have super high health early etc.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
The exception might be a melee dark build which is now popular in pvp for chip damage through shields and dodging resistances, but also gives you access to a lot of weapons, all the utility spells, and insane crit damage. Stat spread looks like a pyro but infusion scaling drops off after 30 int/fai, so you'd usually cap there and go higher in str/dex for more melee damage and access to more weapons.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I was pvping a while last night and while invading in Crucifixion Woods, I got invaded by someone doing an edgy twink which actually looked pretty cool. It was someone named Malice using apparently no helmet, as a very pale woman, in Yuria's Set. She used the Irithyll Rapier, Friede's Scythe, a Dark Hand and I think some pyromancy? She was super aggressive and played pretty well, but my Swamp Witch build is garbage anyway, and I kind of forgot that I hadn't cleared anything out, so I ended up getting crushed by the Giant crab.

Then I went on my faith build since I hadn't used him in ages. He's still pretty fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7koTMqYtdw

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I loving love this video so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1KpBbLO_3Y

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Praise the power of memes

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Andrigaar posted:

Good info, but either way I just jumped into offline mode. Two players in the Grand Archives kept invading me within 30 seconds of respawning. Like we were the only three players on the server.

I just want the extra HP from being embered, man... but this poo poo is unacceptable.

You have been constantly disconnecting on the only two other players you've been matchmaking with? Maybe you should try a different game

Edit: disconnecting is the only way to cheat in this game (apart from actual hacking). Like has been said a billion times in this thread 1) invasions are dark souls b) disconnecting resets the timer so you could have avoided all this by jumping off a cliff lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
or just loving fighting them. I'm pretty sure that the invasion timer is at least like 15-20 minutes long so by disconnecting repeatedly instead of just fighting and dying(or winning!) you're making things take longer, not shorter

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'll fight invaders but I think I can count the invaders I've managed to beat across all souls games on one hand. I am terrible at pvp/these games. They're just so much fun!

asio
Nov 29, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

I'll fight invaders but I think I can count the invaders I've managed to beat across all souls games on one hand. I am terrible at pvp/these games. They're just so much fun!

Play dirty next time (dirty = / = lazy)

E: I was invading in trc and got invaded myself once. Invader came all the way up to the bonfire to fight. Turns out I was marginally better at 1v1's. So he books it, and I'm grateful, finally, an invaders invader who wants to restrict level progression instead of lame bonfire duels. So I'm pushing him back until the infamous stairs, when he disappears. I figure if I take the Harald guys one at a time I can move erratically enough to "dodge" arrows while the friendly fire from Harald will help me if the invader moves in.

Nope. After killing three Haralds the hard way, solo, he plunge attack one shots me while I'm taking out the monk halfway down the staircase.

Because the fighting mechanics are so whimsical during pvp, and successful dodging of enemy attacks mostly relies on rhythm pattern and muscle memory (phantom range!!), the only guaranteed kills are the ones with a plan in the tradition of trusty patches.

asio fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 21, 2018

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

asio posted:

Edit: disconnecting is the only way to cheat in this game
Annoying to other players I admit, but cheating? Hahahaha.

Anyway, as said, I went into offline mode to do what I was doing and later moved back into online.

In something you'll feel is karmic I'm sure, a host dashed off an elevator button earlier and fed me to a hungry invader that missed the elevator up to the Princes by ~1 second.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Andrigaar posted:

Annoying to other players I admit, but cheating? Hahahaha.

Anyway, as said, I went into offline mode to do what I was doing and later moved back into online.

In something you'll feel is karmic I'm sure, a host dashed off an elevator button earlier and fed me to a hungry invader that missed the elevator up to the Princes by ~1 second.

Calling it cheating is certainly reaching, but as everyone has said, you could have had more than enough time to run thru the level had you not been a baby and just let them kill you.

Also: it’s possible to screw your save game by pulling the plug which is why the game warns you when you come back that you didn’t quit correctly.

Invasions are literally part of the game, and the trade off you agree to when you want the extra hp from embering. It’s been that way since Demons. Playing in offline mode won’t save you from NPC invaders anyway and some of those are tougher than bad human invaders.

Just fight people. It’s really not as bad as you’re making it. Sure, you will get people who centered their entire build around PvP, but I wouldn’t say it’s a huge majority. You will have twice the health they do and can summon unlimited reinforcements.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Can't you just equip way of blue and stall out for help?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, though it is also true that most blues are really bad

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

On my second play through I'm going around embered with the dried finger as much as possible and it's so much fun. I keep way of blue on to give them some action but otherwise I'm on my own. It leads to a ton of variety and memorable experiences such as my nemesis in Carthus who killed me four times before I got my revenge, or today's harrowing run through Irithyll where I had to off 4 reds total between the beginning and the second bonfire in constant glorious chaos. I'm not good at PvP but there's plenty of invaders who aren't either so it all comes out even.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Erdricks posted:

Can't you just equip way of blue and stall out for help?

There are also Seeds to harass the invader/have them clear out the level for you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Post-nerf Seeds are a joke. The game needed something to shift the balance towards invaders but that was like the worst possible option.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Literally every invasion is nonsense from easy to impossible, and there is no reason to fear dying in Dark Souls. You just get right back on that horse and ride.

Never fear invaders. This is what it really looks like on the other side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kMkGgTh-24

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Granted I haven't gotten very far (just beat Crystal Sage), but I don't think I've been invaded at all yet, there's even been a few NPCs I expected to fight but they didn't appear? I'm willing/able to PvP to get all the Covenant rewards, but is there any way to do that without constantly using Embers? It's going to soul-bankrupt me.

Edit: Also, does anyone know if the various collection trophies require the DLC spells/rings?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Granted I haven't gotten very far (just beat Crystal Sage), but I don't think I've been invaded at all yet, there's even been a few NPCs I expected to fight but they didn't appear? I'm willing/able to PvP to get all the Covenant rewards, but is there any way to do that without constantly using Embers? It's going to soul-bankrupt me.

Edit: Also, does anyone know if the various collection trophies require the DLC spells/rings?

You can always invade or co-op yourself to get embers. But embers are pretty plentiful, I was worried about using them aggressively this playthrough but I haven't had a problem. When I'm at a frustrating section and can't get through after a couple tries I just get past it unembered and then start it up again.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

You don't need to use any embers at all. Just help out people with bosses and you'll get embered for free and be able to afford everything that you can buy forever. Get sunlight medals at the same time.

For pale tongues, farm the darkwraiths outside the Farron Keep perimeter fire. In the same area you can farm swordgrass from the Grhu that are all around the place.

Ears are a lot harder to farm, because you can only get them from silver knights. It's actually fastest to farm the two coming down the steps at Anor Londo rather than taking the turntable down to the lower level.

Shackles can be farmed in Carthus, but they are a lot harder to farm than anything else.

But it's more fun to farm everything in pvp. Except perhaps the first set of 10 tongues you need for the obscuring ring - those are just really easy to farm and the ring makes all the rest of the farming easier by far.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I mean don't you get a soft ban or whatever if you disconnect all the time? If it's possible to get banned for it you could probably consider it cheating :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is wonderful.

"Still a dark sword right?"