Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niwrad posted:

Also has an OOTP league ever been attempted here? I remember playing in one back in like 2001 and had a blast. Making trades on AIM was all the rage.

Doesn't seem like enough people here own the game but it'd be really fun if it were possible. The game has added so many good online tools. Plus with Discord and cheap hosting, it'd be pretty easy to communicate. Everyone building a team their own way, voting on awards and HOF, etc.

I ran one a decade or so ago on ootp 6.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Niwrad posted:

Also has an OOTP league ever been attempted here? I remember playing in one back in like 2001 and had a blast. Making trades on AIM was all the rage.

Doesn't seem like enough people here own the game but it'd be really fun if it were possible. The game has added so many good online tools. Plus with Discord and cheap hosting, it'd be pretty easy to communicate. Everyone building a team their own way, voting on awards and HOF, etc.

There are a few of us here that were on the old BBSC messageboard that ran leagues going back to OOTP4. Marathon AIM sessions and FTP exports all night long. One of our leagues ran from 2002-2024 over a span of about 8-9 years.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

So for a goof I figured I'd do an exhibition with the 1924 Senators and 1991 Twins. There was a 28 minute rain delay. In the Metrodome.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Infidel Castro posted:

So for a goof I figured I'd do an exhibition with the 1924 Senators and 1991 Twins. There was a 28 minute rain delay. In the Metrodome.

REALISTIC

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Friend gifted me OOTP 19 so back down the rabbit hole I go

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So far I'm having fun with the new version. The 3D still needs some work but it's surprisingly good. I bet they hammer out some of the kinks in it in an update or two.

First long sim saw some interesting stuff.

- Stanton end his career with 761 homers. He actually hit 25 homers in 346 at-bats at age 39 but retired at the end of the season.H He his 70 at age 32.
- Harper signed a 7-year $287 million extension with the Nationals. He then signed a 5-year $247 million extension after that.
- Ichiro somehow didn't make the HOF

Miami also seems to either move or change names within the first 5 years which is not a good sign for the franchise.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The new version is the exact same as the old version (3d parks are cool but meh). It's not a bad thing. It's just the same thing. Same loading times too, funnily enough.

This game could just desperately use a little mini game attached to it for me to keep buying.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Niwrad posted:

So far I'm having fun with the new version. The 3D still needs some work but it's surprisingly good. I bet they hammer out some of the kinks in it in an update or two.

First long sim saw some interesting stuff.

- Stanton end his career with 761 homers. He actually hit 25 homers in 346 at-bats at age 39 but retired at the end of the season.H He his 70 at age 32.
- Harper signed a 7-year $287 million extension with the Nationals. He then signed a 5-year $247 million extension after that.
- Ichiro somehow didn't make the HOF

Miami also seems to either move or change names within the first 5 years which is not a good sign for the franchise.

gently caress this game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A funny thing I saw on reddit

Another thing I found out through reddit: they still haven't coded in three way tiebreakers. I'm not even going to call it a bug because I don't think it's a failure in the coding, I think it's that they just don't bother to try.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Doltos posted:

The new version is the exact same as the old version (3d parks are cool but meh). It's not a bad thing. It's just the same thing. Same loading times too, funnily enough.

This game could just desperately use a little mini game attached to it for me to keep buying.

The AI is way better from what I've seen. Lineups are much better and they actually know how to use a bullpen. I think that's worth the upgrade but I'm someone who is real picky about AI.

IcePhoenix posted:

Another thing I found out through reddit: they still haven't coded in three way tiebreakers. I'm not even going to call it a bug because I don't think it's a failure in the coding, I think it's that they just don't bother to try.

But they did code in-season tournaments so you can turn your baseball league into soccer for some reason. And of course promotion/relegation which I don't think exists anywhere in the world with baseball.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Pretty sure that's gonna take more than a half-hour to clean up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

But they did code in-season tournaments so you can turn your baseball league into soccer for some reason. And of course promotion/relegation which I don't think exists anywhere in the world with baseball.

People would not shut. the. gently caress. up. about promotion relegation so I think Markus just caved and did it.

I fooled around with it in ootp18 and it was a thing that you could do. If you wanted a world wide baseball league with minor baseball countries in lower leagues it worked.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

algebra testes posted:

People would not shut. the. gently caress. up. about promotion relegation so I think Markus just caved and did it.

I fooled around with it in ootp18 and it was a thing that you could do. If you wanted a world wide baseball league with minor baseball countries in lower leagues it worked.

The OOTP boards are such cancer and have hurt the game in so many ways. I remember the damage they did to the series after 6.51 (which took like half a decade to recover from).

It's baseball and the game should mimic the leagues (mainly US based leagues) of the sport. Trying to turn it into soccer for the 3 or 4 people on the OOTP boards who seem to hate actual baseball doesn't make sense. Especially when basic functions like tiebreakers and expansion have been messed up for years.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The worst change the series made was switching to PECOTA for player ratings IMO

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

The worst change the series made was switching to PECOTA for player ratings IMO

Don't they use Zips now?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Niwrad posted:

The OOTP boards are such cancer and have hurt the game in so many ways. I remember the damage they did to the series after 6.51 (which took like half a decade to recover from).

It's baseball and the game should mimic the leagues (mainly US based leagues) of the sport. Trying to turn it into soccer for the 3 or 4 people on the OOTP boards who seem to hate actual baseball doesn't make sense. Especially when basic functions like tiebreakers and expansion have been messed up for years.

I think they're doing it more because they gaze longingly at the megaprofitability of Football Manager

Same reason why they've become obsessed over their ~match engine~ to the exclusion of almost everything else

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 27, 2018

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Niwrad posted:

Not having been around OOTP then, what happened after 6.51?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Toona the Cat posted:

There are a few of us here that were on the old BBSC messageboard that ran leagues going back to OOTP4. Marathon AIM sessions and FTP exports all night long. One of our leagues ran from 2002-2024 over a span of about 8-9 years.

Sup.

It turns out that when you run an online league over 20+ seasons and convert across 3+ versions of the game, the file becomes a complete unholy mess. Was a fun league though, I think we all have some great memories of it.

I'd be up for playing in a sim league (but I am NEVER being commish of one ever again). The issue with using an older version of the game is that everyone has an older version, but good luck finding a whole bunch of people with the exact same older version. If the older versions are still available for free, that might work.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
OOTP 5 -> OOTP 6.5 -> OOTP 2007 was the death knell for any working file.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
RSL still going strong, turns 10 years old in June :holymoley:

Upgrading from OOTP17 to OOTP19 this summer. Here's hoping everything doesn't break.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Buane posted:

Upgrading from OOTP17 to OOTP19 this summer. Here's hoping everything doesn't break.

:snoop: I am glad you are still kicking rear end.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Buane posted:

That's awesome man. Best of luck to you guys. :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is rsl the league I quit because people were being babies about my rotation? The acronym sounds familiar.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Athaboros posted:

Not having been around OOTP then, what happened after 6.51?

6.51 was basically an MLB style simulator with historical replays. It had it's flaws but if you liked MLB, you would have liked it.

Markus decided the whole game had to be re-written after that (I think a partnership with SI games caused this too). He was right about the simulation stuff needing to be re-written, but the rest just needed some tweaking. So he decided to turn his closed MLB simulator into an open universe where you could create leagues around the globe with different feeder systems and so on. Basically Football Manager but for baseball.

The problem was that it broke running a regular MLB style league. There was so much going on in the universe that the financials were messed up, the AI didn't know how to handle minor leagues/contracts/etc, and a bunch of other buggy stuff. It's hard enough to create a realistic simulation of the complex MLB universe but it's even harder to do that as well as every single permutation someone can come up with for their own little baseball fiefdom. The game just got too complex.

I think the game got delayed and didn't even come out till July and was a broken mess. On top of it, the way he wrote it made it really difficult to edit rosters and so they didn't have an MLB roster set for years. So it was a baseball simulator that didn't mimic modern day baseball and didn't have MLB rosters.

Markus realized later on that 99% of people who would be into this game just want to take their favorite team and see how they can do with it. The 1% on the forums that wanted to set up a whiffle ball league in Sri Lanka with feeder leagues across Asia with promotion/relgation wasn't a big market. To his credit he streamlined things, got the MLB license and has done a better job at making his baseball simulator about baseball. But he still falls into the trap of listening to the old timers on his message board who want weird ways to customize the game that have nothing to do with baseball. That's why you have promotion/relegation and not expansion done right.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As far as I know promotion/relegation and feeder leagues has never been successfully done in OOTP--numerous people have invested dozens or hundreds of hours in setting up such fictional worlds, and they're really cool for about ten years before they collapse, usually because the financial system chokes.

tbh I suspect the crowd that's always pushing for OOTP to be more like FM are invariably rabid soccer fans who don't really watch baseball but just like the idea of a simulated sport based on discrete statistics.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So out of wild curiosity I bought OOTP18 recently. I kept seeing it creep up on Steam occasionally and thought "Eh, why not. I've played Football Manager."

The thing is I don't know a single thing about Baseball, other than a very general idea of the rules and a brief history of playing it once in High School many years ago. All these numbers mean nothing to me! I've been tempted to create an amusing Let's Play thread on the trials and tribulations of a complete newbie of Baseball attempted to manage a team.

Surprisingly though OOTP has been pretty helpful - I've managed to grasp around the place reasonably well and I've switched large chunks of the game over to the AI. I'm still trying to figure out trading as it's nothing like football. I traded for Alex Avila for Boston Red Sox as I figured they needed a better catcher (I have no idea if this was a good idea or not), although I've just read he's prone to concussions.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 9, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Baseball trading is kinda nuanced. OOTP 19 does a better job of it where they really value prospects, ace pitchers, or catchers with great arms. OOTP 18's trading is still a bit too easy where you can loot a team for all its worth.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Developing a good trading AI is hard. Go back and play a season of High Heat some time.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

rujasu posted:

Developing a good trading AI is hard. Go back and play a season of High Heat some time.

HH2003 and creating mods with actual stadium ads was ridiculously fun.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

WMain00 posted:

So out of wild curiosity I bought OOTP18 recently. I kept seeing it creep up on Steam occasionally and thought "Eh, why not. I've played Football Manager."

The thing is I don't know a single thing about Baseball, other than a very general idea of the rules and a brief history of playing it once in High School many years ago. All these numbers mean nothing to me! I've been tempted to create an amusing Let's Play thread on the trials and tribulations of a complete newbie of Baseball attempted to manage a team.

Surprisingly though OOTP has been pretty helpful - I've managed to grasp around the place reasonably well and I've switched large chunks of the game over to the AI. I'm still trying to figure out trading as it's nothing like football. I traded for Alex Avila for Boston Red Sox as I figured they needed a better catcher (I have no idea if this was a good idea or not), although I've just read he's prone to concussions.

The very first biggest hurdle you're going to want to mentally overcome is that American sports teams almost necessarily have to go through a Boom -> Bust cycle. Not to say that there aren't teams that can be dominant for ages, but in baseball especially, it's harder. So like, get it out of your head that you're going to snowball the way you can in FM.

So in FM the cycle goes:

- Get incredible youth talent under contract
- Use them to win championships/play in Europe and get money
- Use the new money to secure longer term contracts on the wages their new reputation level is going to need
- Repeat forever and be dominant forever

In baseball, the salary cap, free agency, development ages and the draft utterly gently caress you from being able to replicate that model. Financially, it's essentially impossible to keep an entire roster of superstars on your payroll. As in, almost literally impossible because of caps and taxes.

It's entirely possible to get yourself into a position where you spend big on young guys and do super well for like, 2-3 seasons. But then you're gonna be left with an aging team and guys hitting free agency you won't be able to afford. And you're gonna be stuck with trash-ish players in your Farm because you aren't able to get good draftees if you're winning.

So there's all of that, and then the other thing that is just a radical departure from FM (and football in general): you generally cannot just outright buy players. If you see a young stud in soandso's farm system, the trade system basically will not let you straight up offer cash for him, the way say Southampton will take $10m for decent potential 19-year-old.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Waffles Inc. posted:

In baseball, the salary cap, free agency, development ages and the draft utterly gently caress you from being able to replicate that model. Financially, it's essentially impossible to keep an entire roster of superstars on your payroll. As in, almost literally impossible because of caps and taxes.

It's entirely possible to get yourself into a position where you spend big on young guys and do super well for like, 2-3 seasons. But then you're gonna be left with an aging team and guys hitting free agency you won't be able to afford. And you're gonna be stuck with trash-ish players in your Farm because you aren't able to get good draftees if you're winning.

So there's all of that, and then the other thing that is just a radical departure from FM (and football in general): you generally cannot just outright buy players. If you see a young stud in soandso's farm system, the trade system basically will not let you straight up offer cash for him, the way say Southampton will take $10m for decent potential 19-year-old.

None of this is how baseball (or OOTP) work.

There is no salary cap.

Your young superstars are cost controlled until their seventh (or eighth if you gently caress with them properly) year in the league, which is when they finally hit their first free agency. Note that when they're in the minors, developing, they ARE NOT accruing that service time.

All the other stuff ("abloo bloo I can't buy players :qq:") I can't understand the negative.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

None of this is how baseball (or OOTP) work.

There is no salary cap.

Your young superstars are cost controlled until their seventh (or eighth if you gently caress with them properly) year in the league, which is when they finally hit their first free agency. Note that when they're in the minors, developing, they ARE NOT accruing that service time.

All the other stuff ("abloo bloo I can't buy players :qq:") I can't understand the negative.

When I meant young players I mean like 18-23 year olds, who are basically not ever major league level talent, whereas in soccer a, say, 20 year old could be world class

I love baseball and OOTP, it’s just a mindset change is all :)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

What the hell (from reddit):

:stare:

Okay, I might not know alot about baseball, but even I know that the star rating for this guy is wrong.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:bunt: is clearly the problem

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WMain00 posted:

What the hell (from reddit):

:stare:

Okay, I might not know alot about baseball, but even I know that the star rating for this guy is wrong.

Star ratings I believe are relative to position, it's possible that there's a fuckton of ridiculously good shortstops in his league right now (note that it's 2027)

Otherwise I have no idea what the gently caress.

Waffles Inc. posted:

When I meant young players I mean like 18-23 year olds, who are basically not ever major league level talent, whereas in soccer a, say, 20 year old could be world class

I love baseball and OOTP, it’s just a mindset change is all :)

That makes sense, though I'd change your top end to like 21. But the money thing regarding being able to keep your players is still misleading. And if you're willing to put the time into it, you can keep your farm really well stocked by trading the guys you know you won't keep when they start getting close to free agency. My strategy was to trade away guys who were blocking prospects for positions that I didn't have well stocked in the farm. And if I found a guy that would sign long term for a team-friendly deal I'd keep him long term. That way I could augment my team via free agency because most of my team was making rookie salary or early arbitration (which is also very cheap).

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 10, 2018

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Somehow I now don't have a left field. I have no idea how the gently caress I did that, but this is bad. :stare:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WMain00 posted:

Somehow I now don't have a left field. I have no idea how the gently caress I did that, but this is bad. :stare:

convert another OF to left

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

Star ratings I believe are relative to position, it's possible that there's a fuckton of ridiculously good shortstops in his league right now (note that it's 2027)

That's exactly what's going on... I'm pretty sure. You never know with OOTP.

It looks like it's set to players relative to his position which would explain the low overall since only his contact is currently rated at 50 (he's also doing increments of 5 with max cap on). There's probably a ton of short stops that are all speedy and can hit decently in his save file. His potential looks about right too since he'll cap out at 60/60 for contact/hr. OOTP also seems to have changed it's value on players as OOTP18's CPU would trade me anything for my speedy defense guys but now won't give me peanuts for them in OOTP19.

Either way I don't play with star ratings since they're vague compared to getting the scout overall/potential.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Difference in skill rating and “star rating” definitely comes down to position and scout. I’ve always found players like that to be scouting traps - sometimes you trade for a dude like that, especially at that age, and he matches the skills. But sometimes it’s just your scout or the position. Or age!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Clearly your scout is racist against Venezuelans :colbert:

• Locked thread