Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Around that same time everyone had a Radeon 9200 or a 9700 pro as well

I was in a class of nerds and gamers and they bought absolute poo poo like that geforce4 that was actually gf2 and similar poo poo. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

I was in a class of nerds and gamers and they bought absolute poo poo like that geforce4 that was actually gf2 and similar poo poo. :shrug:

GeForce 4 MX has "GeForce 4" in the name okay?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

When you're spending hundreds on a single piece of PC hardware, you're not going to let something as silly as brand loyalty be a factor in your purchasing decision. This has been a general consensus among PC hardware enthusiasts for as long as I can remember. Everyone was using AMD Athlon CPUs back in the day because it was much better value for money. Around that same time everyone had a Radeon 9200 or a 9700 pro as well, because they offered the best price performance ratio, while the GeForce 5700s and 5900s couldn't even render DX9 as advertised properly (and this got found out big time when HL2/Counterstrike Source became massive). Whatever is giving the most performance per dollar is the one that gets bought. It's not like politics or sport or even console gaming where you doggedly stick to one side. I don't think it's strange to see Nvidia getting an enormous share of the market at all.

It is a little bit of a concern right now though, because when it becomes that lopsided, it gets harder and harder for the underdog to come up with something competitive.

Lol to this. I mean no offense to you as a person, but cmon. People still bought Netburst garbage in droves and still bought the FX 5000 series cards, people still bought Bulldozer and Fermi because of brand identity. They'll wrap it up in bullshit they can justify because every corp does shady poo poo and they want to appear ethical about purchasing things (lol), or other more hamfisted ways to justify it to themselves, but lets not try to pretend that marketing doesn't earn their keep.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Its not even that morbid, people will stick to brands for computer parts because they arent tryhard edgelord nerds like us.

"Nvidia ? I had that video card. it played half life awesome at 800x600! so this is like a new nvidia? *purchase*"

Now I am not suggesting any of that is important in today's situation but

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I spent $1450 on a Titan XP hybrid because I wanted best in class performance for my x34 and Vive. Should have waited for the Ti, but I got my enjoyment out of the card for several months. I could potentially sell it now for the price of Ti+$200 or so I would imagine. I want to upgrade to next gen when it comes out. Sadly, I don't have a spare card I can use in the mean time. I would have to go out of my way to buy a 1050 just to be able to still play games.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 20, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
General consensus doesn't necessarily mean that -everyone- bought the best bang for buck, just that the better performing stuff sold way more. Yeah people bought bulldozers, but way more 2500ks sold. Yeah people buy Vega gear, but way more people bought Pascal gear. That's what I mean by general consensus.

People have made bad purchasing decisions since the beginning of time but they will always largely gravitate to the performance kings.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

SlayVus posted:

I spent $1450 on a Titan XP hybrid because I wanted best in class performance for my x34 and Vive. Should have waited for the Ti, but I got my enjoyment out of the card for several months.

I've never been a Titan guy and have yet to own one (I wait for the ti's) but I do agree with the philosophy of going that route. I never would have in the past. The only thing preventing me for the pascal titan was simply due to the fact at the time the 980ti performed as well as I wanted.

Earlier than that though I truly scoffed at Titans but after seeing their resale and ultimately the value you get when you factor in time, I was wrong to do so.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FaustianQ posted:

Lol to this. I mean no offense to you as a person, but cmon. People still bought Netburst garbage in droves and still bought the FX 5000 series cards, people still bought Bulldozer and Fermi because of brand identity. They'll wrap it up in bullshit they can justify because every corp does shady poo poo and they want to appear ethical about purchasing things (lol), or other more hamfisted ways to justify it to themselves, but lets not try to pretend that marketing doesn't earn their keep.

Yeah just go look at r/AMD if you want to see people in an AMD cult.

The people there actually think AMD is a better choice when it's just objectively not unless you have very niche needs (i.e. FreeSync) or an extremely tight budget.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

General consensus doesn't necessarily mean that -everyone- bought the best bang for buck, just that the better performing stuff sold way more. Yeah people bought bulldozers, but way more 2500ks sold. Yeah people buy Vega gear, but way more people bought Pascal gear. That's what I mean by general consensus.

People have made bad purchasing decisions since the beginning of time but they will always largely gravitate to the performance kings.

Those exact examples could also be used to say that people will buy the better marketed things :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was going to say that after all this time I still didnt own a DX12 game but I just realized that Vermintide 2 has it so thats the first

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

axeil posted:

The people there actually think AMD is a better choice when it's just objectively not unless you have very niche needs (i.e. FreeSync) or an extremely tight budget.

lmao this answer just proves how silly people are when talking about hardware.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

axeil posted:

I passed up a GTX 760 for my current R9 270X because it was about $30 cheaper at the time, nevermind how the 760 turned out to be the slightly better card.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Domestic Amuse posted:

I passed up a GTX 760 for my current R9 270X because it was about $30 cheaper at the time, nevermind how the 760 turned out to be the slightly better card.

If it fills the need you have, then good on you for saving $30.

I think the groupthink on this makes sense; the only reason AMD has been panned recently is because their price:performance/ power:performance has been really poor by comparison.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Domestic Amuse posted:

Did it? I thought Kepler turned out pretty bad in comparison to GCN 1.0, like "lost at least a tier's worth of performance vs GCN".

But yeah, AMD was affected much more heavily than NVIDIA during the bubble last summer, NVIDIA swung back up to MSRP but it's really only in December/Jan/Feb that NVIDIA started to vanish from shelves. And Vega was pretty much never priced well even before Monero took off. As expensive as a 1080, inconsistent performance, unstable drivers, physically delicate card, pulled tons of power, and was not priced well enough to make up for those downsides. It really only made sense if you were hell-bent on FreeSync, and I'm guessing a huge number of them ended up in the bitmines.

They'll probably take off again once Monero does its hardfork. I wonder how long until Bitmain/Baikal can get more ASICs taped out for the new algo... I'd guess it took maybe 2-3 months the last time? Monero took off like October/Nov and they're probably been mining since at least January.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 21, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to manage a GeForce card besides the lovely Geforce Experience? I remember there used to be a "control panel" but I can't find it anymore

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a way to manage a GeForce card besides the lovely Geforce Experience? I remember there used to be a "control panel" but I can't find it anymore

Right-click on your desktop, or go to the control panel.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Right-click on your desktop, or go to the control panel.

Well thanks, now I feel stupid.

Is there a way to limit the framerate and force vsync for a game with the control panel?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well thanks, now I feel stupid.

Is there a way to limit the framerate and force vsync for a game with the control panel?

You can force Vsync with “Manage 3D settings/Program Settings.”

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I've always used AMD cards since 3DFX, but I went with Nvidia last year for the first time since AMD had has nothing competitive available and I didn't feel like paying a premium for a slightly faster 390 at even higher power usage. So far I haven't noticed a huge difference in the vaunted driver quality from Nvidia, though I will concede that their resolution scaling is much better and steam in home Streaming has been flawless on the 1070. It's definitely quieter than any of my recent AMD purchases at least.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So I hear the nvidia board shortage is because they have plenty of chipsets but not enough RAM and has nothing to do with tapering for a new architecture.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

axeil posted:

It doesn't help that the .~*AMD's Open Standard*~. allowed a lot of crap displays bearing the Freesync label.

Over here Freesync IPS monitors with the same specs as Gsync is almost or just as expensive.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I have avoided GeForce Experience like the plague. I manually adjust things in the Nvidia control panel on a game-by-game basis, although I swear that more recent driver versions have removed some of the options (like the option to use a single monitor instead of dual-displays).

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Palladium posted:

It doesn't help that the .~*AMD's Open Standard*~. allowed a lot of crap displays bearing the Freesync label.

Over here Freesync IPS monitors with the same specs as Gsync is almost or just as expensive.

On the good ones, the price difference is basically just the cost of the Gsync module itself. This is especially true when you compare near identical models from the same manufacturer

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
HDMI 2.1 and VRR can't come soon enough. This kind of thing really needs to be standardized.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Wonder if you could get Steam running on like an old WinXP box with a 3DFX card and ancient drivers? Kinda makes me wish I was more of a packrat so I could try.

I may have to try this with that Asrock combo/goofy board, an E2180 and maybe a setup of SLI Voodoo 2s's just to see if things work. I don't see why it wouldn't.

The worst part of it would be having to use XP again.

Hell I can go really old school and boot up my Win98 P3 933 with an AGP Voodoo Banshee in it.

Specifically kept that comp around since it was the first one I ever built, and because it makes a drat good OOOOld game PC for things like Mechwarrior 2 Mercs, Actual DOS games, and the like that don't like to be emulated.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have avoided GeForce Experience like the plague.

I don't really understand this. The features it offers are some pretty neat stuff, I have Shield's so its useful for streaming around the house, and on a Laptop it does some really good stuff for performance optimization/battery trickery if you are on battery at all.

And it gave me PUBG for free to boot so I can't complain, even if that game is a mix of fun and garbage.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I shouldn’t need a Facebook account to download drivers through GFE hth.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

cowofwar posted:

So I hear the nvidia board shortage is because they have plenty of chipsets but not enough RAM and has nothing to do with tapering for a new architecture.

You're not the first person to say that and it's still bullshit. A $15-30 upcharge is one thing, but the idea that the likes of ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte can't source a commodity part is simply not true.

Related: NVIDIA Philippines has started teasing something new coming next month. Wonder what that could be?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 21, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I like when Geforce Experience alt tabs me out of a game to let me know it has drivers ready to update.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

cowofwar posted:

I like when Geforce Experience alt tabs me out of a game to let me know it has drivers ready to update.

That's why you don't install it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EdEddnEddy posted:

I may have to try this with that Asrock combo/goofy board, an E2180 and maybe a setup of SLI Voodoo 2s's just to see if things work. I don't see why it wouldn't.

The worst part of it would be having to use XP again.

Hell I can go really old school and boot up my Win98 P3 933 with an AGP Voodoo Banshee in it.

Specifically kept that comp around since it was the first one I ever built, and because it makes a drat good OOOOld game PC for things like Mechwarrior 2 Mercs, Actual DOS games, and the like that don't like to be emulated.

I don't really understand this. The features it offers are some pretty neat stuff, I have Shield's so its useful for streaming around the house, and on a Laptop it does some really good stuff for performance optimization/battery trickery if you are on battery at all.

And it gave me PUBG for free to boot so I can't complain, even if that game is a mix of fun and garbage.

I should not need to log into their bullshit in order to surface their frame limiting options.

It's even worse than it initially sounds. The actual *setting* exists in the Nvidia Control Panel. But unless you're logged into GeForce Experience, the option isn't even greyed out, it's just flat-out removed. The only thing that exists in GFE is a toggle switch, and then you have to go into the Nvidia Control Panel anyways to set the frame limit and other associated settings.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's better, the steam streamer box or a shield TV ?

(For playing videogames on the big screen without moving the pc)

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Paul MaudDib posted:

You're not the first person to say that and it's still bullshit. A $15-30 upcharge is one thing, but the idea that the likes of ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte can't source a commodity part is simply not true.

Related: NVIDIA Philippines has started teasing something new coming next month. Wonder what that could be?

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

jonathan posted:

I've had a Shield TV Pro for about a year now and I can't say anything bad about it. It's real awesome. 4K game streaming with no issues (1080 on my desktop, GigE wired). Works with all Steam Big Picture, and also NV's GameStream. Haven't ever tried a SteamBox.

Basically from what I gather, if you're *only* doing games, Steam, if anything else (I use Kodi) get a Shield. I could have gotten away with a non-Pro. I don't use any of the storage, since all my media is on a NAS.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

jonathan posted:

My colleague just bought a Shield and he loves it, I use a Steam Link and I am very happy with it. With the Steam Link you can use your Windows desktop as a glorified RDP session and control your machine from the couch with an Xbox 360 controller.
I use it to control Chrome to watch Netflix and you can add non-steam games, like Kodi, to have it start that up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I paid $5 for the Steam link and it works pretty flawlessly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Didn't this happen before with another one of NVs regional subsidiaries, and it turned out they were just teasing a giveaway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

jonathan posted:

Steamlink is cheaper and only works to 1080p, but you can do just about whatever on it. I've run Kodi and streamed NBA games from the browser with it no problem. Shield is more powerful, which may be nice depending on what your doing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

s expensive as a 1080, inconsistent performance, unstable drivers, physically delicate card, pulled tons of power, and was not priced well enough to make up for those downsides

Maybe if you judge it in a vacuum but compared to AMDs offerings, the 1080 was a far better card. FAR

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Enos Cabell posted:

I paid $5 for the Steam link and it works pretty flawlessly.

How'd you manage that?

I was considering a Moonlight box to use with Gamestream but if a Steam link can do it for $40 maybe I'll just go with that. I want whatever has lower latency and feels more "native" on the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Alpha Mayo posted:

How'd you manage that?

I was considering a Moonlight box to use with Gamestream but if a Steam link can do it for $40 maybe I'll just go with that. I want whatever has lower latency and feels more "native" on the TV.

I got mine shipped from GameStop last fall for like $6 total. Steam was also selling them at maybe $7 or so during the winter sale.