Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
ultimately if a food can be sweet OR savory i will never understand the people who choose sweet

savory is the quintessential food experience, plz honor it as such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
When executed well, the combination of sweet and savory can compliment and enhance each taste involved, producing a third flavor that can be v. good.

Of course, even more than each individual flavor, it's easy to do wrong (though some people will always love any quality level of a given flavor, whether it's good or bad, sometimes to crazy degrees).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

tote up a bags posted:

I'm watching my health so please submerge my pizza in boiling water before serving it thank you

Coming right up, sir.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

tote up a bags posted:

Hello Asia Thread I caught up on 5000 pages of facelosing and now I am ready to post!!!
My posting CV is as follows:

- Lived in Tokyo for 9 years
- Worked with a bunch of Chinese in Tokyo who owned hard & gave poo poo to our lovely Japanese overlords 24/7
- I plunge both men and women and therefore am 2x as jaded
- I moved to Germany in Feb and feel invisible now as nobody stares at me when I do REGULAR THINGS like "have a bike" or "walk" WHILE ALSO BEING WHITEMAN

Anyway I will regail with stories as they become contextually appropriate but let me lead with a question: Is it true in Bangkok you'll get harassed at the bars by rent boys/girls constantly? I am thinking of visiting but that is intensely not my scene (I like to sit in a nice bar and chat with locals without being assaulted)

edit: Same question for Taiwan too. I wanna visit one of the two and am stuck choosing.

This thread has long lacked info on Chinese dude-plunging. Got any crazy stories about that? I'm guessing most of them are pretty repressed when it comes to their own homosexuality.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I just wanted a update to the saga of Goldman Sachs Boy and the Mystery of the Chinese Data Reporting.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

tote up a bags posted:

I'm watching my health so please submerge my pizza in boiling water before serving it thank you
Here you go.

https://i.imgur.com/l1dYBSP.mp4

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In China everything is corrupt

quote:

In the military, the buying and selling of promotions is widespread. Indeed, corruption in the PLA is judged to be of ‘epidemic proportions’. 30 In March 2015 Xinhuanet reported that fourteen generals had been convicted or were being investigated for corruption. 31 One of China’s most powerful generals, Xu Caihou, was among the generals arrested, now totalling some three dozen since the start of Xi’s crackdown. A member of the Politburo, Xu military hierarchy, underwent the shuanggui process. 33 Linked to former president Jiang Zemin, Guo was said to have sold promotions, with the rank of major general priced at five million yuan (about $1 million) and lieutenant general at ten million yuan. Due to the spread of corrupt practices, rising through the ranks of the PLA has penalised merit and honesty and favoured those willing to pay bribes for promotions and to demand bribes from those below them in their turn. As a result, Western military strategists judge that China’s armed forces would perform less well than might be expected in a hot conflict. Perhaps recognising this, and in the context of China’s expanding international military engagements, the PLA has recently been attempting to improve its fighting capability by reforming its rank and grade systems. 34

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i swear i read in this thread even the secret proprietary stuff they give their own military is poo poo. as in the outer cladding looks like a stealth plane should look, but all the hardware mounting points and carrier launch equipment is coincidentally in the exact same place as a mig 29

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Devils Affricate posted:

This thread has long lacked info on Chinese dude-plunging. Got any crazy stories about that? I'm guessing most of them are pretty repressed when it comes to their own homosexuality.

sometimes i wissssssh i was gay the stories are awesome
i know a mid 20s white top in shanghai that absolutely cleans house when he goes clubbing - white guys are super popular here but most are in their 40s. A year or two back he mentioned going to some gay BDSM club where they have stuff like a guy tied to the counter of the bar and anyone can just go grope/dildo him, I dont know it sounded pretty cool.

Also I was warned not to use the detachable fixture in hotel showers because the bottoms always unscrew the showerhead and then rinse out their buttholes with the hose.

My favorite stories are the closeted gays that have a spouse and kid at the parents' demand, but have a place next door where their actual partner lives.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
THE WORD "CRACKDOWN" HAS LOST ALL MEANING TO ME

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Coolguye posted:

ultimately if a food can be sweet OR savory i will never understand the people who choose sweet

savory is the quintessential food experience, plz honor it as such

Sometimes it works, like dessert pizza. Chocolate and cherry sauce, topped with sliced strawberries.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Sausage, bacon, and maple syrup covered pancakes. Take them from my cold, dead, diabetic hands.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Can someone post that music video where it was a big doofus guy and the chorus went EN EN AI AI which according to someone in this thread just means EN EN AI AI

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I think a lady was being carried on a boat?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
https://i.imgur.com/5tlnifQ.mp4

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bajaj posted:

THE WORD "CRACKDOWN" HAS LOST ALL MEANING TO ME

CRACKDOWN ON THE PEANUT BRITTLE

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the military story in china is one i will never be able to take too seriously in terms of people trying to get the corruption out just because they already had the single strongest stimulus for getting their poo poo in order in 2003. the second iraq war caused A LOT of leaders all over the world to poo poo themselves. everyone knew iraq would lose, but saddam had a very professional military that he had spent literal decades drilling loyalty and procedure into. people expected that they'd give the americans quite a bloody nose before they went down.

but that's not how it went. the war was functionally over by the first week, with even the most seasoned units in the Iraqi army in full rout without even managing to drop scorched earth tactics as they ran. it was a complete loving disaster. and it wasn't that the iraqis just hosed off or were paper tigers. these generals and units were battle tested. the americans just turned out to be that good at open conflicts and your literal only hope was to roll a guerrilla campaign until they got sick of it and went home.

which is very cold comfort for the douchebags at the top of these regimes because if they lose their seat of power they're hosed no matter what happens after that. even if the USA had left the instant they took baghdad and left Iraq a smoking hellhole, Saddam was done and was never getting power back; his entire political machine had been blown up and he'd demonstrated his base weakness to the entire planet. similarly, a party that loses Beijing is never going to have legitimacy in China again, and that is a loving fact. 2003 was the biggest wake-up call you could ask for to get real leadership and real soldiers into the PLA because a loving 8 year old could figure out that if someone is only in a fighting position for the prestige and money, they're jumping straight to "gently caress this poo poo i'm out" when the first bullet is fired.

but here we are, 2017-2018, and strong pappy xi is still totally cleaning up the army at long last guys, for serious now! loving naval gazers are rubbing their chins over how this totally is about their expansionist desires and increased saber-rattling and missing the basic point that watching their worst fears come to life right in front of them couldn't make real reforms happen. but no, totally, base greed will prove to be more powerful than existential dread, and this totally is not a political purge of people xi doesn't think he can trust in his all-consuming political apparatus.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Devils Affricate posted:

Sure but all of these happened in Tokyo, so these stories are dudes who are away from home.

I think because they had already achieved a certain level of escape from their family by being abroad, the Chinese dudes I met were all relatively chill about being gay, definitely more so than Japanese dudes. Although I bet if I was in China it would've been reversed, since now I live in Germany all the Chinese AND Japanese dudes are pretty chill. I guess a lot of it comes from not being able to have a son for the LEGACY OF THE FAMILY.

Here’s two good stories I can think of off the top of my head

Tiger Mom Guy

I met this dude on Grindr pretty shortly after I came out so I really had no loving clue what I was doing, but he was kind and said he wasn't going to pressure me or anything like that. This was not true at all, his immediate comment was "you're a top so it's easy, and I prepared myself for you, so you have to do it" which was intense. I had to literally fight him off and the whole time he kept saying how he can't wait to go back to China but he hates Japanese so he has to bang foreigners in Tokyo instead.
So things didn't really progress too far, and after a while he sort of runs out of energy and lies on my bed and legit starts crying about how he moved to Tokyo to get away from Mom but after a few months she moved his entire family into his tiny 1 person apartment. They've been living like that for FOUR YEARS. I tried to sort of sympathise with him but I was also kinda annoyed at his prior attempt to sexually assault me so I just sort of let him cry it out and then he left.

Daddy’s Boy

This dude was also a Grindr find. I should add that Grindr is full of sluts in Tokyo too but I think the % of people who are looking for actual dates or just friends or whatever is relatively high. This dude was one of them. I was I think 24 and he was about 22, in Tokyo for university. He was just incredibly in love with me, he really thought Brits are gentlemen of infinite repute, and since we were communicating in Japanese I was his best choice I guess.
So we’re chatting and everything’s fine, I’m suggesting we grab a coffee or a beer or something and he’s down. I think the date was on Saturday and we set it up on Monday. Rest of the week goes like this:

- Tuesday: I’m so excited about Saturday, I can’t wait. We can speak Japanese the whole time yeah? I can’t really speak English.
- Wednesday: Hey so by the way, is it OK if I bring a friend? (Yes it’s fine I guess?)
- Thursday: I’m in love with you (At this point I’m a bit like eeeeeergh but his friend is coming so I guess things can’t get too out of hand)
- Friday: HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED LIVING IN CHINA? MY DAD WOULD SUPPORT US HE OWNS THE BIGGEST LAMINATE FLOORING COMPANY IN CHINA (I’m trying to get out of it now)
- Saturday: The friend who is coming is my sister

So yeah this dude essentially was trying to sneak into a marriage with me by having me meet his sister (his mom was dead so she was the defacto female decision maker) and then whisk me off to China to be part of the laminate flooring dynasty. I actually was still planning to go for the laughs but he caught on that I was kind of making fun of the whole situation and called it off. RIP That guy I hope he found his British prince.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

tote up a bags posted:

Daddy’s Boy
So yeah this dude essentially was trying to sneak into a marriage with me by having me meet his sister (his mom was dead so she was the defacto female decision maker) and then whisk me off to China to be part of the laminate flooring dynasty. I actually was still planning to go for the laughs but he caught on that I was kind of making fun of the whole situation and called it off. RIP That guy I hope he found his British prince.
Sounds like a hit to me, you've even got a title. Question is: TV drama, or movie?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Posting on lucky page 800

Riptor posted:

Can someone post that music video where it was a big doofus guy and the chorus went EN EN AI AI which according to someone in this thread just means EN EN AI AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcuZagUJFvY

While searching for this video, I found out that these boat puller guys are now a tourist attraction. I too enjoy watching a man work himself into disability/death.

Some of these guys do it the traditional way of going fully nude, but I've posted enough Chinese penii here.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I remember I got a book with pictures of the naked boat pullers. But everything that was traditional was swept away by the 3 gorges dam project.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

tote up a bags posted:

Sure but all of these happened in Tokyo, so these stories are dudes who are away from home.
You should have pulled hao-ke-ai Chinese girl routine and asked for an iPhone (gold, plz) to make sure these guys were serious. They probably would have reverted to default behavior and got you some fancy gifts if you pouted enough. You really blew (LOL) your chance to get free vacations and gadgets!

quote:

Wednesday: Hey so by the way, is it OK if I bring a friend? (Yes it’s fine I guess?)
I know you're talking Chinese, but the times I went out with Japanese (girls) they always pulled this poo poo on the second date, and often asked me to bring my own friend. When I would say they were busy and/or have no interest to go on double dates, the girls would suddenly disappear.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bajaj posted:

You should have pulled hao-ke-ai Chinese girl routine and asked for an iPhone (gold, plz) to make sure these guys were serious. They probably would have reverted to default behavior and got you some fancy gifts if you pouted enough. You really blew (LOL) your chance to get free vacations and gadgets!

God drat it, I can't even figure out how much face I just lost with you pointing this out

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

CIGNX posted:

Posting on lucky page 800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcuZagUJFvY

While searching for this video, I found out that these boat puller guys are now a tourist attraction. I too enjoy watching a man work himself into disability/death.

Some of these guys do it the traditional way of going fully nude, but I've posted enough Chinese penii here.

Hey, that reminded me that they used horses here back in medieval and early modern times to pull stuff upstream

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
it's like a shittier version of the Song of the Volga Boatmen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88gLWwq5G5M

Edit: actually I wonder if EN EN AI AI is the chant when heaving, like ey ukhnem

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Coolguye posted:

the military story in china is one i will never be able to take too seriously in terms of people trying to get the corruption out just because they already had the single strongest stimulus for getting their poo poo in order in 2003. the second iraq war caused A LOT of leaders all over the world to poo poo themselves. everyone knew iraq would lose, but saddam had a very professional military that he had spent literal decades drilling loyalty and procedure into. people expected that they'd give the americans quite a bloody nose before they went down.
I don't know how anyone can be foolish enough to lull themselves into a smug self-satisfactory complacence. The americans basically own the tip of the tech mountain, which means they get to erode all your infrastructure essentially for free if you give them the initiative, and when the armor start rolling you've essentially lost already.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

GotLag posted:

it's like a shittier version of the Song of the Volga Boatmen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88gLWwq5G5M

Edit: actually I wonder if EN EN AI AI is the chant when heaving, like ey ukhnem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkodqsDnbSc

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

tote up a bags posted:

https://youtu.be/VCxiP4blwmo#t=0m24s

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Coolguye posted:

but that's not how it went. the war was functionally over by the first week, with even the most seasoned units in the Iraqi army in full rout without even managing to drop scorched earth tactics as they ran. it was a complete loving disaster. and it wasn't that the iraqis just hosed off or were paper tigers. these generals and units were battle tested. the americans just turned out to be that good at open conflicts and your literal only hope was to roll a guerrilla campaign until they got sick of it and went home.

which is very cold comfort for the douchebags at the top of these regimes because if they lose their seat of power they're hosed no matter what happens after that. even if the USA had left the instant they took baghdad and left Iraq a smoking hellhole, Saddam was done and was never getting power back; his entire political machine had been blown up and he'd demonstrated his base weakness to the entire planet. similarly, a party that loses Beijing is never going to have legitimacy in China again, and that is a loving fact. 2003 was the biggest wake-up call you could ask for to get real leadership and real soldiers into the PLA because a loving 8 year old could figure out that if someone is only in a fighting position for the prestige and money, they're jumping straight to "gently caress this poo poo i'm out" when the first bullet is fired.

but here we are, 2017-2018, and strong pappy xi is still totally cleaning up the army at long last guys, for serious now! loving naval gazers are rubbing their chins over how this totally is about their expansionist desires and increased saber-rattling and missing the basic point that watching their worst fears come to life right in front of them couldn't make real reforms happen. but no, totally, base greed will prove to be more powerful than existential dread, and this totally is not a political purge of people xi doesn't think he can trust in his all-consuming political apparatus.

Um lolllll if you think that anyone thinks the US could just up and invade (huge, populous, nuclear-armed) China successfully and the Chinese are making GBS threads themselves worrying about that ever happening. Put down the Tom Clancy novels. Iraq has a population of like 30 million people, it's a very different proposition.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Conquer China, no. Completely obliterate their military capacity, sure. This isn't controversial--both the first and second Gulf War were huge deals. The first even more so, people forget Iraq had an enormous military, Soviet-equipped, and the US being able to effortlessly trash it shocked everybody. The last major war before that was Vietnam, after all.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Conquer China, no. Completely obliterate their military capacity, sure. This isn't controversial--both the first and second Gulf War were huge deals. The first even more so, people forget Iraq had an enormous military, Soviet-equipped, and the US being able to effortlessly trash it shocked everybody. The last major war before that was Vietnam, after all.

I think it might be just a little bit controversial to think that America can roll up on the Chinese coast and just obliterate the Chinese military with one hand behind its back, to be honest.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Some Chinese woman added me on Wechat today. She is very friendly. She said she works here in BKK sometimes, and is busy flying around for her job. I asked what her job is and she told me making reports. I asked if that meant for the news and she said yes. She wouldn't tell me which, but she had little bits on her album about stuff she was working and I recognize that she has to be working for one of the major CCP-mouthpiece outlets. She does articles in English and Chinese, and the English ones I saw were exactly like the horseshit on China Daily, etc., and all praising the growth of China, or what X country has done in relation to China.
She asked me to tutor her in English. I said I don't know. She said she will cook a meal for me in her home. I asked where she lived. She sent me a location so drat far away from where I am that the fastest way for me to get there (that I know from experience) is take a taxi to the canal boat, then boat, then BTS/train, then taxi again, and spend around 2 hours total if no traffic to get to her place. I told I didn't know.

The best part was she told me she was in the supermarket getting stuff for dinner, and she sent me a photo of a hand basket with about six bags of potato chips and a few cans of Pringles in it, and nothing else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

feedmegin posted:

I think it might be just a little bit controversial to think that America can roll up on the Chinese coast and just obliterate the Chinese military with one hand behind its back, to be honest.

I worded that poorly, the uncontroversial part is the influence of the Gulf Wars.

However, there is no military in the world that has the slightest chance against the US in a conventional war. That is why nobody fights conventional wars with the US. Insurgencies are winnable, that's been proven. Eventually someone will be able to take the US military in a war, but that is a while off.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
People just see the stat "1 billion people" or "largest standing army" and think that means anything. Logistics is a thing and there's zero reason to think that China would be capable of mobilizing its army in any meaningful way against the US at this point in time. The US is unquestionably going to have air and sea superiority and they can use that to trash routes to US positions.

Of course none of this matters because China is a nuclear capable state. That's the real reason any direct confrontation between the US and China isn't something China thinks it has to worry about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pretty much. I'm dubious that any state is actually willing to use nuclear weapons against another nuclear-armed state (terrorists or other non-state entities are another issue) but I'm also dubious whether any state is willing to risk it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Ultimately, the most likely scenario for China v. USA is either China invading Taiwan and the US intervening or China deciding to go into the South China Sea as a way to test its capabilities and the United States backing up Vietnam or something.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

People just see the stat "1 billion people" or "largest standing army" and think that means anything. Logistics is a thing and there's zero reason to think that China would be capable of mobilizing its army in any meaningful way against the US at this point in time. The US is unquestionably going to have air and sea superiority and they can use that to trash routes to US positions.

I absolutely agree that China is going to lose if it fights a war overseas against the US in someplace-that-is-not-China. The original post, however, was 'a party that loses Beijing is never going to have legitimacy in China again' and I do not believe the US can just waltz in and capture Beijing easy peasy no muss no fuss.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I absolutely agree that China is going to lose if it fights a war overseas against the US in someplace-that-is-not-China. The original post, however, was 'a party that loses Beijing is never going to have legitimacy in China again' and I do not believe the US can just waltz in and capture Beijing easy peasy no muss no fuss.

I think if you have control of the Bohai Beijing is a done deal, and if you don't have control of the Bohai you just mine the poo poo out of it and Beijing starves anyway. Coastal China is completely indefensible if you don't control the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hypnophant posted:

I think if you have control of the Bohai Beijing is a done deal, and if you don't have control of the Bohai you just mine the poo poo out of it and Beijing starves anyway. Coastal China is completely indefensible if you don't control the ocean.

So, what, the US rocks up a few carrier battle groups literally right up to the coast and everything's gravy and they're left unmolested in any way? The ocean is one thing, littoral waters are another, and also last I looked Beijing isn't on an island.

• Locked thread