Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I don't understand how anyone can lose elemental xp ever, every Eureka instance I've ever been to has been a massive hugbox where complete strangers will cross half the map just to res you. All you have to do is ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Hra Mormo posted:

I don't understand how anyone can lose elemental xp ever, every Eureka instance I've ever been to has been a massive hugbox where complete strangers will cross half the map just to res you. All you have to do is ask.

This has not been my experience. Think I ate 5 no rez deaths on my way to 19. And that includes being ignored by my own party who were too cowardly to make an attempt.

As for the delevelled guy, it's probably the dude from reddit who went from 20 to 10 on purpose as an experiment.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Gonna need roaming gangs of at least two full parties of level 20 healers and red mages canvassing the zone for dead dudes, extorting the deceased for money and dinosaur mounts.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

That's not "classic WoW", but it is very much "classic EQ" and "classic FFXI". By sheer coincidence, one of those games is far more successful than the others.

Yeah uh Eureka is far less lovely than the loving AQ summoning bullshit pre-gates opening. Hell I'd argue it's less tedious to do than Molten loving Core. Classic WoW was full of terrible loving hellgrinds, and they couldn't be mitigated by doing it in a raid for the most part either.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

This has not been my experience. Think I ate 5 no rez deaths on my way to 19. And that includes being ignored by my own party who were too cowardly to make an attempt.

As for the delevelled guy, it's probably the dude from reddit who went from 20 to 10 on purpose as an experiment.

I'm curious as to where you died, because there's literally 2 places that are effectively a no mans land
Here, especially at night

And the southern part of the hell cave where Pazuzu lives. High level people can pull you out of the first after you get chain hosed by dullahans and sanuwas, for anyone who isn't 19+ it's effectively a death sentence to revive you at night and a complete poo poo show in the day. As for the second, gently caress you release idiot there's literally no reason to ever go into that part of the hellcave

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Asimo posted:

Speaking from personal experience, yeah, this is absolutely the case. You're not getting one-shot anymore by most of the monsters and bosses and you can finally start getting actual rewards from most of the NMs in the zone. I'm glad to have hit 11 tonight, but all it's really done is confirm my annoyance about how hosed the level scaling is, and how much better it could have been if there wasn't a huge loving wall at the front of the content.

I mean there's some other issues with it too, but that's the one that seems to be the source of most of the rest, and it's the one that'll lead to it being deserted in a month.

:same:

It's really a horrible and frustrating feeling, but having played MMOs for years and years I know exactly how it'll go if I don't knuckle down and waste a few days grinding here.

TBH not getting rewarded beyond exp for 75%of the fates I ran was what was largely sticking in my craw, it goes against the Skinner box, I ran the maze give me my cheese. The mass deaths during fates and human wave attacks on the other hand are downright funny.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Bolow posted:

I'm curious as to where you died, because there's literally 2 places that are effectively a no mans land
Here, especially at night

And the southern part of the hell cave where Pazuzu lives. High level people can pull you out of the first after you get chain hosed by dullahans and sanuwas, for anyone who isn't 19+ it's effectively a death sentence to revive you at night and a complete poo poo show in the day. As for the second, gently caress you release idiot there's literally no reason to ever go into that part of the hellcave

I died in this exact spot the moment I dinged level 13 and went venturing alone to find the next confluence (a very very bad idea).

gently caress. That. Tunnel.

Another player did eventually come rez me but they died too. :( We were screaming in shout when someone said "hey there's like 39 people in this instance think it's time to go".

Add to this that I was already late for my statics raid time and it was hilariously stressful.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

itskage posted:

And to be clear this can be difficult at times esp with all the ilevel fluctuations you run into when doing LDR so don't feel bad if you mess it up occasionally.

I still remember just getting completely demolished/demoralized by a Stone Vigil where the tank refused to adjust to my ability to the heal them. I don't remember what my gear was like so it was likely that I was a bit undergeared but this tank would just keep trying to make these big pulls despite me telling them I couldn't keep them up healing on every GCD.

WHM definitely gets a lot more fun around 50-60 when you get a few more tools to deal with those "oh poo poo" situations. I think it was Atherochemical Facility? One of the 50/60 dungeons - was a ton of fun sprinting alongside the tank and then dropping a pile of holys once everything is wrangled up.

Another thing I've kind of enjoyed about healing is how you can feel good gear a lot more then as a dps.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

SonicRulez posted:

Swimming is not a major feature of Stormblood, man. It's really silly to say that it is.

Square Enix seems to think it is in the top 5 most important features of Stormblood, according to the official website: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/stormblood/

Swimming and Diving was also a major talking point in Tokyo's 2016 Fanfest Keynote speech, getting five slides devoted to it (more than any other topic in keynote): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DEUujbe-rP5zfg2FQs4cKydlu8qZacC3nb_IiYMg_zQ/edit

Don't get me wrong, Swimming has literal no impact in the game and was largely a pointless addition, but Square Enix totally bills it as a major expansion feature.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Hra Mormo posted:

What instance have you been playing in? I was lucky to have a Healer in my party that was willing to save me during an attempt at activating the Aetherytes and one that accompanied me during the Level 17 quest.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

the NM trains now have finally kinda learned not to go through the neon snake gently caress tunnel, which is nice

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What instance have you been playing in? I was lucky to have a Healer in my party that was willing to save me during an attempt at activating the Aetherytes and one that accompanied me during the Level 17 quest.

What instances have you been playing in? It feels like 60% of the population of Eureka is playing RDM (myself included) purely for Verraise, and I'm revived within seconds of hitting the floor in a FATE or whatever. I had about ~25 revives on the Good Samaritan achievement a few days ago, and I got my 200 title yesterday. The only reason it took so long is because everybody else is faster on the draw than me!

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Rainuwastaken posted:

What instances have you been playing in? It feels like 60% of the population of Eureka is playing RDM (myself included) purely for Verraise, and I'm revived within seconds of hitting the floor in a FATE or whatever. I had about ~25 revives on the Good Samaritan achievement a few days ago, and I got my 200 title yesterday. The only reason it took so long is because everybody else is faster on the draw than me!

Seriously, hell when I'm doing other stuff I just idle as rdm in eureka seeing if Pazuzu will pop and I answer the res calls for poor fuckers who are dead off in some obscure corner of the map.

I've been finding Eureka is really fun if you go in with a group of friends, and decent fun if you get a group right off, if you try to go solo though I'm sure it would be a miserable hellgrind. Which is probably the biggest way Eureka flies in the face of recent MMO development - MMOs have been becoming more and more solo friendly and Eureka is basically ff11 in ff14 and 11 was in no way solo friendly.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I find it hard to imagine an instance of Eureka that doesn't have 10 or so people ready to raise you in seconds. When the trains are moving through high level spots, you see low levels dropping like flies and people immediately stop to raise them. It's.....kind of inspiring really.

From my own experiences, mainly doing Fafnir and Pazuzu spawning as a level 7 rdm, my only job literally was to raise people who died since I couldn't do anything else. Didn't stop assholes pming me and telling me to stop afking though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Martman posted:

Partied with an elemental level 11 dude riding his mount around in Eureka.

Yup.

One Weird Trick to level synch with your friends in Eureka.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rainuwastaken posted:

FATEs are fine. Anytime I see someone dead in some corner of the map, though, it's a gamble whether or not anyone will go and save them if it's some crazy area like the Level 17 quest.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I find it hard to imagine an instance of Eureka that doesn't have 10 or so people ready to raise you in seconds. When the trains are moving through high level spots, you see low levels dropping like flies and people immediately stop to raise them. It's.....kind of inspiring really.

From my own experiences, mainly doing Fafnir and Pazuzu spawning as a level 7 rdm, my only job literally was to raise people who died since I couldn't do anything else. Didn't stop assholes pming me and telling me to stop afking though.

Tell them to go gently caress themselves. An entire fight of you dpsing your rear end off while ignoring raises would net less dps than a single properly leveled sch dot never refreshed. It’s a waste of your time and mana to do anything more than darting in to flèche while you chain raise.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

FATEs are fine. Anytime I see someone dead in some corner of the map, though, it's a gamble whether or not anyone will go and save them if it's some crazy area like the Level 17 quest.

Wait till the train passes by there tbh.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mordiceius posted:

Guys.... I'm slowly starting to come around on Eureka....

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

Tell them to go gently caress themselves. An entire fight of you dpsing your rear end off while ignoring raises would net less dps than a single properly leveled sch dot never refreshed. It’s a waste of your time and mana to do anything more than darting in to flèche while you chain raise.

Pretty much. If you're under leveled for the train, RDM or healer is objectively the best option so you can at least be useful. Putting yourself at risk of being one shot so you can do less than three digits of damage per hit is not useful, so you hang out in back until somebody needs a rez.

I've also seen more than a few NM fights that would have been a full zone wipe if half the people there were not red mages furiously chain rezzing everyone in the corpse party. Respect those afk lowbies (unless they're still afk while standing amidst the pile of grey names, then gently caress em)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Eureka trip report; I got level 19, the full relic set for samurai and a bonus relic weapon for rdm, and still plan to grind pazuzu a bit for the altar. Final score - I give it a 35 out of 100. It's loving bad content, but it ended fairly quickly and I ended up hating it less than any of the light grind steps since 95% of my time was spent essentially afk doing something enjoyable instead.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Does anyone have tips on how to eek out more damage in O7s? We are Right there, I've seen too many sub 3% wipes, we are dying over here. Anything is appreciated.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

BrightWing posted:

Does anyone have tips on how to eek out more damage in O7s? We are Right there, I've seen too many sub 3% wipes, we are dying over here. Anything is appreciated.

Do you have any fflogs links or anything...

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Look up guides for your class stop dying I don't know man. Is there anyone doing very subpar or something? Failing upkeep during during mechanics that allow it?

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

quote is not edit

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks all. I didn't know Lucid Dreaming helps with MP management. I hope to get matched in a dungeon that allows me to use Holy soon.

I was serious, by the way, Holy is your best healing spell in aoe groups. With diminishing returns it’s like ten seconds of the entire pack being stunned if you triple cast it, which is ten seconds of zero damage being dealt to the tank. Granted, that eats your mana, but it’s still one of your best healing spells. It’s better when you get Assize.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

"Who?"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

BrightWing posted:

When Ultros shows up, maintain dps on Guardian until he jumps. You'll have time to kill Uncle Ulty while he's the only target.

There should be time for three potions: during your opener, right after virus tethers resolve, and at the end. If you're consistently getting close, make sure everybody is using their potions.

When Bilbo circles are about to come out, have MT pull Guardian near the first melee circle so you can maintain uptime until you have to run to the second circle.

Most of the rest boils down to renewing your abilities appropriately and not dying to stupid poo poo.

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Also, your melee dps can stand at max melee range during ink in order to maintain uptime. It's also possible to do this during the first atomic ray if you position the boss right.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I kinda like the current seasonal event. It's very low-key, but these little side stories are fun. Good thing i unlocked Bard just like, last week, so i actually had some kind of backstory with Leih. Just in time!

It's also a good thing i leveled all the crafters and gatherers and stuff so i know a lot of the people coming along. Beatin creeping on Fufucha was pretty funny.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
We’re still working on 07 but so far for our entire raiding experience “Not meeting dps check” was usually solved by people dying less.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Remilia posted:

Also, your melee dps can stand at max melee range during ink in order to maintain uptime. It's also possible to do this during the first atomic ray if you position the boss right.

Yeah this too. If you look at the floor, there are two lines running north to south that the boss fits neatly between when he's centered. At the middle of these lines are a hub/joint looking thing. Have your melee dps stand on these or slightly south for ink and to drop the initial atomic rays (pull the boss north after the rays drop and have the melee follow).

The only times melee is forced away from the boss for any length of time are during Air Force, virus pushback, getting out of the way of tentacles + bombs later on, and while placing atomic rays in the back half of the fight. Otherwise they should have nearly continuous uptime whenever the boss is targetable.

E: and while killing Bilbo/Daddy but they should stay in melee range of Guardian so you can get both with whatever AoEs and dots you've got.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 21, 2018

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Also, I've got all of my WAR relics done and hit e20. Probably a good note to end on until Eureka (and thus the relic) is updated.

All in all, still lovely content, but not as bad as it could've been. The downtime between NMs and the endless entertainment that is shoutchat made the experience tolerable.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I just realized something about the post-4.0 plotline:

There's another candidate for the person driving Zenos' body around: Lahabrea.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gearhead posted:

Nah. He dies at the end of 3.0

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My goal at level 20 is to hit one of those beach squibs with Midare Setsugekka and generate the biggest number.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
https://www.fflogs.com/character/id/48908

Here's my fflogs page, all parses on there are with my group. It's the best I can do from my phone. We do keep uptime during load ultros and our MT drags the boss to the first melee biblio spot and we stay on Guardian till he lifts off. I run BLM and I'd say I realistically am pulling about 5500 at the end going off my own parser.

Thank you for the help! We're just frustrated being stuck on a fight I feel we should have cleared three weeks ago.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Argas posted:

Nah. He dies at the end of 3.0

Yeah, Thordan converts his soul to pure aether and eats him for power. He's gone for good.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, the quest to avoid the Sekiseigumi? I think you have to go to the upper left of where you start. That's what I remember, anyway.

Finally got this on try number eight. Turns out you aren't supposed to reach the place the quest tells you to go at all. You're supposed to try approaching it from the north which turns into a dead end where you meet a turtle dude who takes you somewhere else entirely to complete the quest.

I'll take "Misleading Quest Objectives" for six hundred.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 21, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BrightWing posted:

https://www.fflogs.com/character/id/48908

Here's my fflogs page, all parses on there are with my group. It's the best I can do from my phone. We do keep uptime during load ultros and our MT drags the boss to the first melee biblio spot and we stay on Guardian till he lifts off. I run BLM and I'd say I realistically am pulling about 5500 at the end going off my own parser.

Thank you for the help! We're just frustrated being stuck on a fight I feel we should have cleared three weeks ago.

Am I missing something? There aren't any O7S parses here.

EDIT: you haven't cleared? you'll need to directly link to a report page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Gearhead posted:

This one had occured to me too, actually. Obviously Thordan ate him and then you killed Thordan to death. Presumably his aether would have been absorbed by the eye at that point and been floating around in Shinryu, so maybe he could still exist?

Though personally I'm expecting that his gimmick is that he just can't die, the Empire has a bunch of clone bodies of him stuffed away somewhere and his hosed up engineered Echo means that every time he dies his soul gets forcibly ejected into one of them. I'm also expecting him to be very unhappy about this if they want to give him a redemption arc or have him be the Token Evil Scion.