Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Some kind of insane US invasion of mainland China is, like, the Hell Timeline

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pirate Radar posted:

Some kind of insane US invasion of mainland China is, like, the Hell Timeline

You checked the news lately son

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The actual reason why Beijing might be worried about Iraq might have much more to do with the US invading a mid-sized country with a large, politically motivated army that mostly fields Soviet or Soviet-derived equipment and schooling them in a way that might make the US more confident about further such wars, i.e. with North Korea, but yes, again, Hell Timeline and armchairgeneral.jaypeegee

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

feedmegin posted:

So, what, the US rocks up a few carrier battle groups literally right up to the coast and everything's gravy and they're left unmolested in any way? The ocean is one thing, littoral waters are another, and also last I looked Beijing isn't on an island.

Exactly what in the Chinese navy or airforce is going to stop a US carrier group? And again, just having a billion people in China does nothing to stop the US from blowing the poo poo out of the roads and bridges in China. That army isn't going anywhere the US doesn't want it to go. The US making landfall in China would be trivial.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Exactly what in the Chinese navy or airforce is going to stop a US carrier group? And again, just having a billion people in China does nothing to stop the US from blowing the poo poo out of the roads and bridges in China. That army isn't going anywhere the US doesn't want it to go. The US making landfall in China would be trivial.

Somewhere a Marine General has a hardon and knows exactly why.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Exactly what in the Chinese navy or airforce is going to stop a US carrier group?

Diesel subs, defensive minefields, land-launched antiship missiles. Do you think US Navy ships are invincible sea gods or something?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

feedmegin posted:

So, what, the US rocks up a few carrier battle groups literally right up to the coast and everything's gravy and they're left unmolested in any way? The ocean is one thing, littoral waters are another, and also last I looked Beijing isn't on an island.

Bruh just grab a few steam ships and sail up to bejing, bada bing bada boom burn the summer palace

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
The book The Next 100 Years kind of talks about this. America really wouldn't even have to invade just prevent any Chinese ships from leaving their harbor and have the whole country start eating itself.

Now I think China was talking about building shore line missile to take out ships within 50 miles but that seems to be most they have been dealing with their military besides putting down unrest in other parts of the country.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

Somewhere a Marine General has a hardon and knows exactly why.

I mean yeah this is all Hell Timeline stuff and it lord help us if we ever saw it in our lifetimes, but I really don't think in a conventional war a China that hasn't fought a war since it lost to Vietnam would be able to withstand a legitimate attempt by the modern US military to invade.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

feedmegin posted:

I absolutely agree that China is going to lose if it fights a war overseas against the US in someplace-that-is-not-China. The original post, however, was 'a party that loses Beijing is never going to have legitimacy in China again' and I do not believe the US can just waltz in and capture Beijing easy peasy no muss no fuss.
If they've learned anything at all they'll set foot on the ground, just thwack chinese command and control until they can't take it anymore.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

feedmegin posted:

Diesel subs, defensive minefields, land-launched antiship missiles. Do you think US Navy ships are invincible sea gods or something?

Not at all, but I also don't think that an untested navy against a navy that has been projecting power and engaging in actual combat missions for decades is going to be threatened by diesel subs. I didn't say there would be no losses. I said US victory was assured and that landfall itself would be trivial.

But the only factor in any of this that matters is that China is nuclear.

BexGu posted:

The book The Next 100 Years kind of talks about this. America really wouldn't even have to invade just prevent any Chinese ships from leaving their harbor and have the whole country start eating itself.

Now I think China was talking about building shore line missile to take out ships within 50 miles but that seems to be most they have been dealing with their military besides putting down unrest in other parts of the country.

Also this. Like the US fleet is more or less already in the region or can be in a day. I highly doubt a few diesel subs that we can hear coming are going to be much of a threat.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I want it to happen, please.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Ultimately, the most likely scenario for China v. USA is either China invading Taiwan and the US intervening or China deciding to go into the South China Sea as a way to test its capabilities and the United States backing up Vietnam or something.

It seems almost inevitable that China is eventually going to go into the South China Sea in a big belligerent way and, subsequently, that a coalition of nations in the region wind up opposing them, knowing that the alternative is eventually winding up in Tibet's shoes within a few decades.

The only real question is whether anyone in the West will join in on the party, and if so, how many, and if so, just how badly China winds up getting beaten up before the conflict ends.

Given their eternal victimization complex, it'll be ugly for a long time afterward, whatever the outcome.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Kharnifex posted:

I want it to happen, please.

You just want us all to die in nuclear hellfire.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It seems almost inevitable that China is eventually going to go into the South China Sea in a big belligerent way and, subsequently, that a coalition of nations in the region wind up opposing them, knowing that the alternative is eventually winding up in Tibet's shoes within a few decades.

The only real question is whether anyone in the West will join in on the party, and if so, how many, and if so, just how badly China winds up getting beaten up before the conflict ends.

Given their eternal victimization complex, it'll be ugly for a long time afterward, whatever the outcome.

That's basically the direction it's been heading in for the last decade, yeah. That's what makes Duterte's overtures so worrisome. Prior to him, the Philippines fighting alongside Vietnam as a US proxy military was a given.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://i.imgur.com/5coHmC9.gifv

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Atlas Hugged posted:

going by what’s been in the news just set up some coral reefs and send out some fishing boats and the us navy will sink itself

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You know what was a kickass game? Jane’s Fleet Command. I know there’s a new thing like that out, maybe I’ll give that a try.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

You know what was a kickass game? Jane’s Fleet Command. I know there’s a new thing like that out, maybe I’ll give that a try.

Next time I'm in town we should organize a bridge simulator.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
https://my.mixtape.moe/cvvfut.mp4

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

This is the most normal and healthy behavior I've seen in a video in this thread since I started reading it, months ago.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

If the Chinese military is anything like the Police and security officers I saw in Beijing, it's all just kids playing on their phones. They will hire anyone with a pulse it seems.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

CIGNX posted:

Posting on lucky page 800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcuZagUJFvY

While searching for this video, I found out that these boat puller guys are now a tourist attraction. I too enjoy watching a man work himself into disability/death.

Some of these guys do it the traditional way of going fully nude, but I've posted enough Chinese penii here.

Thanks this song is a loving banger

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

eggyolk posted:

If the Chinese military is anything like the Police and security officers I saw in Beijing, it's all just kids playing on their phones. They will hire anyone with a pulse it seems.

The PLA is a great way for guys from rural provinces to get a pretty good job, which apparently leads to a bunch of dudes showing up to basic training speaking Mandarin with hilarious, undecipherable backwoods accents because they grew up speaking bum-gently caress-zhou-ese instead and never had to talk to people from outside of their province before.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Pirate Radar posted:

The PLA is a great way for guys from rural provinces to get a pretty good job, which apparently leads to a bunch of dudes showing up to basic training speaking Mandarin with hilarious, undecipherable backwoods accents because they grew up speaking bum-gently caress-zhou-ese instead and never had to talk to people from outside of their province before.

But doesn't that help the PLA through? Its seems the PLA job is to put down unrest so get a bunch of hicks from one province and then send them to another province where no one has any idea what the other is saying until the bullets start flying.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Someone mentioned it already, but the Chinese getting to play victim for the next 900 years on whoever attacked them is a greater deterrent than their nuclear arsenal

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So basically their deterrence strategy is to be so whiny that nobody wants to attack them because we'd never hear the end of it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Oh I forgot Chinese gays love love LOVE calling themselves + everything around them "fags", which I assume they learned from TV or something. Like not even in a joking self-deprecating way, I had to ask one or two dudes to cool it and explain that it's not as hilarious as they think.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BexGu posted:

But doesn't that help the PLA through? Its seems the PLA job is to put down unrest so get a bunch of hicks from one province and then send them to another province where no one has any idea what the other is saying until the bullets start flying.

In that situation, it’s a bonus, but in a lot of other situations, like... basically any other military operation, it’s not, so IIRC they do put people through remedial Mandarin courses to make sure they can do poo poo like talk on the radio without it sounding like gibberish to everybody else.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

i do this to my pet bird lol

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Bajaj posted:

The best part was she told me she was in the supermarket getting stuff for dinner, and she sent me a photo of a hand basket with about six bags of potato chips and a few cans of Pringles in it, and nothing else.

She could probably staple a bunch of chips together and sprinkle some chives on it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I'd like to see how long the CCP could stay in power when a bunch of carrier groups just blockade the mainland for a bit.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Power Khan posted:

I'd like to see how long the CCP could stay in power when a bunch of carrier groups just blockade the mainland for a bit.

the carriers will still let stuff out tho right????

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The new Chinese frigates are a real threat to carriers if they can have air superiority/cover. Since that’s not ever happening any time soon it’s moot.

It’s all about the nukes baby!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
The PLA is mostly for putting down civil unrest and disaster relief not fighting foreign militaries.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chinese trade gets disrupted for more than a few weeks, PLA puts down the unrest and protects government as the country collapses in on itself. It's basically invincible.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LingcodKilla posted:

The new Chinese frigates are a real threat to carriers if they can have air superiority/cover. Since that’s not ever happening any time soon it’s moot.
any ship is a threat to carriers if they have air superiority, air superiority is literally the point of carriers. if your enemy has air superiority your carrier has already failed to do its job.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Coolguye posted:

but here we are, 2017-2018, and strong pappy xi is still totally cleaning up the army at long last guys, for serious now! loving naval gazers are rubbing their chins over how this totally is about their expansionist desires and increased saber-rattling and missing the basic point that watching their worst fears come to life right in front of them couldn't make real reforms happen. but no, totally, base greed will prove to be more powerful than existential dread, and this totally is not a political purge of people xi doesn't think he can trust in his all-consuming political apparatus.

What the gently caress does a naval gazer know about the army?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Actually you guys are all wrong. From the D&D China thread I've learned that in any conflict with the west China has the moral and ethical upper hand. China is a united cultural state while the west is crumbling. China has troops motivated by legitimate patriotism and ideology and history while US soldiers are only motivated by money and racism and will crumble when faced with a culture as united and advanced as China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Ah, the shield of ideology and patrioti..

*dronestrike*

• Locked thread