Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

uhh somebody got a calculator?

Three birds in two hands is worth -uhh well if both hands are holding three birds, then that's worth a bush full of nine birds.

It gets more complicated if you have two birds, one in each hand. That's worth two sets of birds in two different bushes.

Please help me brainstorm some better idioms and what they stand for in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
It's a penny for your thoughts and a nickel for a kiss...

...why did I waste all those quarters at the arcade???

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Jolo

The bird that snoozed still gets a worm sometimes .

Even if you're not the first one to do something, you can still have some success doing that thing sometimes.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Mummy Napkin
or just get stoned with two birds at once

Jolo

Santana has left the building

This one has a very different use from "Elvis has left the building". When people hear that Elvis has left, they know that the show is over. When Santana leaves the building, people usually look around and think, "wait, Santana was here? I had no idea." Santana has left the building is used when someone notable was nearby but they've already gone and you missed them.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

Here are a few that I came up with but I don't know what they represent:

Uno Skip card in your pocket.

Up on a Ferris Wheel with no ticket

canyoneer

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jolo posted:

that's a good way to get thrown off by Indiana Jones

Manifisto

step on a crack, break your soles in by a very small amount, although not appreciably more (or less!) than stepping on another part of the sidewalk

sadly its meaning is lost to time

Rushi

by Smythe
tree

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Too many cooks, not enough ingredients.

Manifisto

roomforthetuna posted:

Too many cooks, not enough ingredients.

a dilemma that solves itself

Farecoal

There he go
It's raining cats. Just cats

the unabonger
210 birds in the hand are worth 420 in the bush

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN

Jolo posted:

Uno Skip card in your pocket.

Is that an Uno Skip card in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

rump buttman

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

I’ve got meadowlark in the left and a pair of teals in the right.

anyone know the conversion to scotch broom roosting Western Sandpipers? preferably in one bush, but willing to do multibush to save that skrilla :sotw:

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
i cant even get one bird in the bush...much less the hand

thanks Manifisto!

the unabonger

rump buttman posted:

meadowlark to the left of me and a pair of teals to the right

Here I am stuck in the middle with you

Jolo

Late to bed and early to rise gives a man those Buscemi eyes.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Bacon Taco posted:

Is that an Uno Skip card in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Is that a lawyer's business card in your pocket or are you just happy to sue me

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
No matter how much I shake and dance I won't get my fat rear end in these pants

420 SWAGLORD

saban bajramovic
Fortune favors the old (their wisdom and experience serve them well)

You can lead a horse to slaughter, but you can't make it think (whatever happens to the body your mind is your own)

A place in line saved has not been earned (this one is obvious)

The grass is always greener on the other side (good advice depending if you're in a legal state or not)

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you push it away again, you are undeserving of love (harsh, but so is life sometimes)

Never count your bowls before they're matched (friends will be there for you when you're not expecting it)

He who coughs last coughs loudest (just cough if you need to. you don't need to impress us. we love you for who you are)

Watch out for potholes when driving through low-income areas. They can damage your vehicle or even cause an accident. This is not a preexisting saying, I just care and I want you to be safe

alnilam

Jolo posted:

this one sounds like it would be a really good idiom, if i knew what it meant,

ty manifisto

google THIS

We often assume that n birds in the hand equals 2n birds in the bush, but what if it's just n+1 birds? If 39 birds in the hand are only worth 40 in the bush, maybe you can just settle for 39 birds in the bush and spare your hand a few dozen talon scratches? I'm just spitballing here.

Jolo

google THIS posted:

We often assume that n birds in the hand equals 2n birds in the bush, but what if it's just n+1 birds? If 39 birds in the hand are only worth 40 in the bush, maybe you can just settle for 39 birds in the bush and spare your hand a few dozen talon scratches? I'm just spitballing here.

another wrinkle to consider is that even though the idiom is about the one bird that you have, if you had TWO birds, and those birds were a boy bird and a girl bird... well, you know. Like, if the boy bird was very charming, and the girl bird maybe would be kind enough to take a chance on him... maybe the boy bird isn't very smart but he has kind of a dry wit and usually the girl bird tends to like birds that are taller than she is, but she's been with some real jerks and this boy bird seems genuine with her... well, you know. It's called the birds and the bees, but the bees don't have to be involved, and well, you know what i mean at this point, I think. ok, I'll just come right out and say it, I'm talking about bird intercourse. So now on to my real point, if those two birds then create more and more birds, then you're not choosing between 1 bird in your hand or 2 in a bush, you're choosing between 1 or an innumerable amount of birds and their offspring plus while you're in the bush, maybe there's some good stuff in there also, like a snickers wrapper that got blown into the bush and stuck and there's still some good chocolate stuck to it.

Manifisto

Jolo posted:

another wrinkle to consider is that even though the idiom is about the one bird that you have, if you had TWO birds, and those birds were a boy bird and a girl bird... well, you know. Like, if the boy bird was very charming, and the girl bird maybe would be kind enough to take a chance on him... maybe the boy bird isn't very smart but he has kind of a dry wit and usually the girl bird tends to like birds that are taller than she is, but she's been with some real jerks and this boy bird seems genuine with her... well, you know. It's called the birds and the bees, but the bees don't have to be involved, and well, you know what i mean at this point, I think. ok, I'll just come right out and say it, I'm talking about bird intercourse. So now on to my real point, if those two birds then create more and more birds, then you're not choosing between 1 bird in your hand or 2 in a bush, you're choosing between 1 or an innumerable amount of birds and their offspring plus while you're in the bush, maybe there's some good stuff in there also, like a snickers wrapper that got blown into the bush and stuck and there's still some good chocolate stuck to it.

lol

Twenty Four

Jolo posted:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
CRY HAVOC AND RELEASE THE PUPPIES OF PEACE

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
An apple to the face keeps the doctor away

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Sticks and stones may break my bones but a kick to the groin should put an end to THAT poo poo

Twenty Four

A penny saved isn't really a penny earned because then you could just keep saving that penny and end up with infinite pennies and break the economy.

Pulling the sheer nylons over your eyes. (It's only slightly deceptive)

Feeling over the weather. Like so dang over that stupid weather and feeling great!

Once in a blue moon. This one sounds the same but it's really about having a certain beer every once in a while. Also it is sometimes used as slang for an orange slice.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
When life throws you lemons you put those bastards in the freezer and throw them back because MAN that's gonna hurt

alnilam

Jolo posted:

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER

Jolo posted:

thanks Manifisto!

Scroon

An eye for an eye is a fair exchange rate assuming general ocular interchangeability

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is also blind, that's why it's called the land of the blind not the land of the blind plus also one guy who can see but lacks depth perception.

But that guy's body saves on the energy required to maintain one non-functioning eyeball so I guess that's a slight advantage except if the scar tissue is actually less efficient than the non-functioning eyeball would have been in which case it's worse, and also maybe when people are touching his face they run their hand over the eyelid that has empty space behind it and notice the lack of resistance and are like 'ew what happened here' and then he has to tell the embarrassing story again of how he woke up at a friend's house one time but forgot he wasn't at home, and walked in a direction that would have been safe relative to his own bed but had something sticking out at eye-level in his friends house, and he was so drunk he didn't even notice he was walking into something until it was all the way in there.

google THIS

When life gives you lemons, hey, free lemons. You could make lemonade if you want, but really, why not do something more creative? make a nice lemon herb vinaigrette, a savory chicken piccata, and finish it all off with some delicious limoncello. Also, invite me over to dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Red sky at night, Sailors delight-
Red sky at mornin', sailors don't care because they partied the night before since the skies were red and were like, "Hey, you boys wanna shut yer gobs and fill yer cake holes with some cheap swill?" and of the course the other sailors were delighted to, what with the sky being red & all at night, so they went down to the local watering hole and tied one on. Now, the next day, the sky is red and the sailors SHOULD take warning but since they're sleeping off a bad hangover from cheap swill the night before they won't have a clue. Don't be like them. Take warning, like a GOOD sailor. Paid for by the Good Sailors Who Take Warning With Red Skies in Morning Foundation

• Locked thread