Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Mueller is doing this utterly by the book and methodically. He is definitely having person after person answer the same questions and is cross referencing all their answers to figure out who is lying, who is being misled, and who is the source of lies. He knows his report is going to be scrutinized more than nearly any other such report, and is making it as airtight as possible. He indicted those Russians so that later he can state "Individual A exchanged emails with known Russian agent B, indicted on crimes XYZ."

However what he does not realize is nothing matters and his report will be the most well crafted thing ever and congress is going to put it straight into a paper shredder and ignore it.

the democrats will have congress eventually were gonna need the info as well as for history book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Krispy Wafer posted:

There were so many rando Roman emperors and they even started having joint co-emperors. It felt like an All-Star game where you have to cram like 5 people in the shortstop position while also somehow winning the game.

I have a Gordian III coin, which at least means he ruled long enough to get his own coin (5 years). Gordian I and Gordian II didn't rule long enough to see two menstrual cycles.

And Gordian III was not a good looking man. When your idealized representation makes you look like a Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, you're unfortunate looking.

I dunno, looks more like Chris "Alexander the Great's Chief Eunuch" Barrie to me.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/geoffgarin/status/976483602958602241

reminder: the republican primary was very hotly contested and the incumbent governor nearly lost

Nearly TWICE the GOP turnout :stare:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

Nearly TWICE the GOP turnout :stare:

There's a lotta Democrats in Illinois.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So apparently Esquire interviewed some goons:

https://mobile.twitter.com/esquire/status/976470771894837249

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tylerjoelb/status/976484689333641216

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

OddObserver posted:

Hmm, how about his cousin Nicky (Nicholas II of Russia)?

Nick employed Rasputin, who was Dr. Badass Motherfucker, Esq.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I've had extremely similar thoughts in my head.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/976486763542777856
https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/976487143945195520

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Goosed it. posted:

I was talking to my dad about Mueller questioning Trump and my dad said not to get too excited about it because to avoid the questions Trump can basically claim that his answering Mueller's questions is a national security threat. My dad also said that Congress can call Trump on it (but I don't think anyone thinks that would happen).

Can anyone confirm or deny this.

Claiming his campaign activity falls under national security would raise a lot more questions than it'd answer.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Your Taint posted:

Nick employed Rasputin, who was Dr. Badass Motherfucker, Esq.

Then in order to save the Tasr they poisoned, stabbed and shot him but it was all for naught because then the next charlatan in line said he had had spoken to the ghost of Rasputin and through him the ghost steered Russia down the path of revolution.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Vladimir Putin posted:

680B ? That’s got to be a typo

unless its a complete restructuturing/upgrade of the election system

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is a good article, just to show how being way too online can ruin your life. I spend most of my time on the internet, but I'm well aware what damage it can be doing to my mental health. A while back I was running the March For Science twitter for my state and it was all-consuming. I can't imagine having a Krang-style account.

Although if a bartender refuses to sell you two beers then he absolutely a narc.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

thewalk posted:

unless its a complete restructuturing/upgrade of the election system

also depends over how many years. federal contracts tend to have huge numbers but then you look at it and it's over a decade or more

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it's 680 million, not billion.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

JeffersonClay posted:

The right thing to do in this situation is to refuse to sign the IEP, go to due process, and if necessary threaten litigation. Sorry for your lovely experience with the special education system.

Sure, and while that multi-year process is ongoing my child is now attending a school where the educators and leadership are actively hostile towards him and us. We also would likely have had a CPS investigation started against us as well. They counted his outside therapy sessions as unexcused absences, usually counting as a half day each and after 10 days of unexcused absences they can report you to CPS here.

At least my wife has a background in education and worked over 10 years as a college lecturer. We'll probably re-evaluate things for high school.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

thewalk posted:

Its gonna suck so bad when republicans continue to run as democrats so you have to dig deeper into their positions to figure out if theyre monsters

Weird forums bug. How did this decades-old post manage to get attached to this thread?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Sorry about being late for the Facebook ad preference derail, but I just had to tell everyone that one of my hobbies/interests turned out to be "Organic compound" :psyduck:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Am I reading that right? Killing the research ban on the Dickey Amendment is a huge deal.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

RandomBlue posted:

There's a decent percentage of home school families that do it because their children have disabilities that schools available to them suck at handling. It's not all crazy christian fundies.

We pulled my son out of public school because the teachers couldn't be bothered to actually teach him. They ignored the IEP, wouldn't send his homework home with him, lied to us about his progress even showing us written work there's no way he could have done. The few private schools in the area are all Christian and require you to sign a statement of faith.

I'll circle back to this only to make sure you knew I, for one, wasn't picking on people in your shoes earlier. I know you didn't quote me but I still wanted to point that out just in case. My comments had an unwritten "this only applies to your garden variety student" disclaimer on them that was less obvious than I thought. I'm sorry you had this lovely experience, I've worked at and around schools long enough to know this sucks a lot and I hope you can work it out for your kid.

RandomBlue posted:

Sure, and while that multi-year process is ongoing my child is now attending a school where the educators and leadership are actively hostile towards him and us. We also would likely have had a CPS investigation started against us as well. They counted his outside therapy sessions as unexcused absences, usually counting as a half day each and after 10 days of unexcused absences they can report you to CPS here.

At least my wife has a background in education and worked over 10 years as a college lecturer. We'll probably re-evaluate things for high school.

:psyduck: How in the gently caress is this OK? JFC Is this an especially red christian fundie bootstraps state you live in? You don't need to answer which but...holy gently caress that's hosed up. I'm angry for you.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Why didn't FedEx detect the bombs, isn't that easypeasy this days?

Or did the rise of consumer electronics kind ruin that(I'm not even sure if this a thing)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Crackbone posted:

Am I reading that right? Killing the research ban on the Dickey Amendment is a huge deal.

I wonder if it will kick off a research war like we saw with some of the controlled substances. AFAIK there really isn't much research either way, but the corporations at odds with the data are always able to fake data to "prove" their point.

("Fake" here making technically correct but academically dishonest data sets that support your position and burying the ones that don't)

At least publically funded research cannot be buried.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PhazonLink posted:

Why didn't FedEx detect the bombs, isn't that easypeasy this days?

Or did the rise of consumer electronics kind ruin that(I'm not even sure if this a thing)

iirc there's no efficient, cost effective, automated way to detect a bomb in a package relative to all the other poo poo it could be. like a laptop looks enough like a bomb in xray that you have to separate it from your luggage

you might be able to sniff for chemical markers but i imagine this would throw up a shitload of false positives

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

saintonan posted:

Republicans don't have positions anymore.

yes they do, every horrendous position you can think of.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
e: nm

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Crackbone posted:

Holy poo poo, that'd be huge.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

boner confessor posted:

iirc there's no efficient, cost effective, automated way to detect a bomb in a package relative to all the other poo poo it could be. like a laptop looks enough like a bomb in xray that you have to separate it from your luggage

you might be able to sniff for chemical markers but i imagine this would throw up a shitload of false positives

You technically can ship ammunition under certain conditions, so even if you sniff out some gunpowder it might not be a bomb.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You technically can ship ammunition under certain conditions, so even if you sniff out some gunpowder it might not be a bomb.
Huh, I wonder if that's why FedEx got chosen.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Ashley Feinberg is the best and is doing god's work. She actually wrote a good expose on HQ a few weeks ago too:

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/959458893960306688

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The mom is like "I loving TOLD YOU!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VH4Ever posted:

I'll circle back to this only to make sure you knew I, for one, wasn't picking on people in your shoes earlier. I know you didn't quote me but I still wanted to point that out just in case. My comments had an unwritten "this only applies to your garden variety student" disclaimer on them that was less obvious than I thought. I'm sorry you had this lovely experience, I've worked at and around schools long enough to know this sucks a lot and I hope you can work it out for your kid.

:psyduck: How in the gently caress is this OK? JFC Is this an especially red christian fundie bootstraps state you live in? You don't need to answer which but...holy gently caress that's hosed up. I'm angry for you.

The current system in a lot of areas is basically designed to turbofuck any family with a kid who has unusual needs; the parents have all the duties, and there's an inadequate safety net to help them meet those duties.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

OddObserver posted:

Huh, I wonder if that's why FedEx got chosen.

Also they didn't end their partnership with the NRA after Parkland, unlike those freedom-hating commies at UPS

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

thewalk posted:

yes they do, every horrendous position you can think of.

Maybe three years ago, now the only question in GOP circles is whether you support Trump. The GOP is a cult of personality now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/AP/status/976495089248808962?s=19

If he bought his supplies at Home Depot I would assume it was some sort of fertilizer bomb or something like that. I'm sure stealing some of the right fertilizer from a farm wouldn't be that hard. But you can make a bomb that size from anything.

E.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/976481939342397440?s=19

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
He probably bought nails and poo poo.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

HootTheOwl posted:

The mom is like "I loving TOLD YOU!"

The little girl seems pretty into Syringe Elementary, tho

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Crow Jane posted:

The little girl seems pretty into Syringe Elementary, tho

I'm pretty sure the homeschool girl and the school girl are different kids so she is probably wanting to not get sold.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

RandomBlue posted:

cps is probably different in each state and each social worker, but if the reason your kid is missing school is doing something that isn't bad for the kid then cps probably won't do anything, also depending on the state cps workers have money they can spend on you for things like home improvements or rent or your power bill so if you do end up with a cps case ask them what they can do for you also you can essentially report people to cps for anything and 99% of calls to cps get screened out and never investigated

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

yeah home depot sells about everything you need to make bombs except for the actual explosive

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Isn't gunpowder a thing you can also buy for reason? Tell me How to Home 101, what are non gun uses for gun powder?

Also stump remover(saltpeter, Potassium nitrate) makes a good oxidizer for smoke bombs if Good Eats is right. Also makes good real corned beef.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

Isn't gunpowder a thing you can also buy for reason? Tell me How to Home 101, what are non gun uses for gun powder?

Also stump remover makes a good oxidizer for smoke bombs if Good Eats is right. Also makers good real corned beef.

I mean it is an explosive, you can use for 1910-style mining or whatever, but definitely nothing that Home Depot would offer.

All a pipe bomb is made of is a metal pipe and lids filled with gunpowder and a fuse. If he did use gunpowder then it's hardly a surprise that he bought plumbing supplies at a hardware store. Hardest part is not blowing yourself up when making it.

• Locked thread