Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I get started as Novgorod? I expected to be the 2nd power of Russia but I just get Roflstomped and Poland rarely allies with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is the expansion worth it? :ohdear:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Poil posted:

Yes
:getin:

e: also not an expansion, it's an immersion pack so fairly smaller in size.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
For 10 euro I feel it's more than enough in here.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

James Garfield posted:

The new mission system seems like a pretty large and unnecessary buff to major European nations and a handful of others, at the expense of everyone else. I like it more in theory but it's pretty lovely that European majors get free permanent claims on large areas of land while almost everyone else gets default missions that are worse than the old ones.

Same.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I get started as Novgorod? I expected to be the 2nd power of Russia but I just get Roflstomped and Poland rarely allies with me.

No clue if this still works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS1EWbh_vVQ

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my novgorod strategy is annex east frisia and then lose all my original land to muscovy and join the hre

alternatively you can annex pomerania if they ally east frisia and then just release and play as them

novgorod sucks

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

It adds a new mana bar, yet an other one you can ignore.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So the institution modifiers for being protestant or reformed don't count anglican. I feel like this is an oversight.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I have managed to get Livonian Order going, although it hinged on Denmark going loving ham on Russia. But Denmark seems to loving love doing that so you have a pretty decent shot. I did not manage to get Novgorod or Teutonic order off the ground due to Moscow and Poland, respectively. I have not had the nerve yet for trying a wacky step 1: lose 90% of your territories, start over on another continent type Thing. I really enjoy starts where you carve out your thing between two blocs, like Savoy and try to get bits of both France and HRE. Same with Switzerland, Hungary, Venice, did Münster and went West mostly.

Portugal is a fun starter because the Details of when exactly to jump Morocco are just tricky enough for a noob. If you just Charge in there you lose, you have to set it up right - wait for them to be in another war or something. Then you convert your poo poo and can go colonizing or something, at which Point you have the Basics down.

What's up with East Frisia anyway?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

cheesetriangles posted:

So the institution modifiers for being protestant or reformed don't count anglican. I feel like this is an oversight.

Yah I agree

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Innovativeness is functionally non-existent. Anglicanism is pretty boring as a religious mechanic. Naval doctrines are something you click once at the start and completely forget about for the rest of the game. The industrial revolution stuff is so late in the game it might as well not exist.

Unless you really love playing in the British Isles, the expansion is definitely not worth it.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Also why in this patch where the big selling point is the new mission system would you make achievements for countries with the lovely generic missions.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi if you remove a province from a trade company can you add it back to the trade company later? I did it it to change the religion of a place and the button to add it back is gone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yes but you have to wait a few years.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Unless you really love playing in the British Isles, the expansion is definitely not worth it.

So if you think the British Isles are the most boring area to start in in the entire game there's not much point? What is there even to do as England? You can effortlessly beat up Ireland and Scotland and then you can only expand into France or the HRE. Or colonize I guess but that's just sitting around on the highest speed you can.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
Anyone else run into an event where you get a 100-tradition general in the 1400s at the expense of 25 prestige and legitimacy? I got that in my Brandenburg game so it's pretty safe to say that it's over

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

EU has a DLC sale today for midweek. The OP guide is missing the most recent ones. How do people feel about Mandate of Heaven, Cradle of Civilization, and RB? For the most part I like to play European powers (though Japan looks like it could be neat) so CoC doesn't seem super up my alley, but who knows?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Eldred posted:

Anyone else run into an event where you get a 100-tradition general in the 1400s at the expense of 25 prestige and legitimacy? I got that in my Brandenburg game so it's pretty safe to say that it's over

I've had that happen from time to time, It's been around at least since 1.22.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

JerikTelorian posted:

EU has a DLC sale today for midweek. The OP guide is missing the most recent ones. How do people feel about Mandate of Heaven, Cradle of Civilization, and RB? For the most part I like to play European powers (though Japan looks like it could be neat) so CoC doesn't seem super up my alley, but who knows?

MoH: Makes China bullshit, really good besides that. Diplo builder honestly kind of makes it worth it alone, and the Japanese mechanics are pretty great, as long as you don't fall for the trap that is the form Japan decision.

CoC: Kind of meh, honestly. If you have no desire to play in the ME, not really worth it. Probably worth it otherwise.

RB: Just came out, haven't gotten it yet. Looks pretty mediocre, with nothing of real importance.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

JerikTelorian posted:

Pick up Mandate. They've toned down Ming's tributary nonsense a bit, and the age abilities and state edicts are good mechanics. Also it gives you the diplomatic macro builder, which is a godsend.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the last good version was 1.19

diplo macro is insanely good though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Woo, I beat England and Scotland in wars as an Irish minor. I control all provinces except Leinster and Sligo. Unfortunately to do that I had to go so deep in debt from mercs and being over my forcelimit that I’ll be paying it off until the end of time and I’m at ADM 3 in like 1480. :(

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh I should update the OP huh. Mandate is already in that list though.

Poil posted:

So if you think the British Isles are the most boring area to start in in the entire game there's not much point? What is there even to do as England? You can effortlessly beat up Ireland and Scotland and then you can only expand into France or the HRE. Or colonize I guess but that's just sitting around on the highest speed you can.

I'm not saying you're alone in this opinion but England's literally the most played nation in the game so you're at least in the minority. If you're active about colonizing/attacking Asia/Africa there's a whole lot more too it than sitting around, and if you seize France through the PU stuff in the first few decades you can be every bit as involved in European political stuff as they could be.

Also if you do wanna just chill on your island, the laid back-ness is a big appeal to a lot of people.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Man you have way more faith in people than I do because I just assumed that the largest part of the playerbase is English-speaking and white and they want to play the most powerful country that lets them fufil some kind of ethnonationalist power fantasy.

I have literally never played a single game starting in Europe west of the HRE (other than Burgundy) so I guess my brain is broken in the other direction.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's probably a bit of both really. The British Isles are popular in basically every strategy game though, and I do think that's in large part because their isolation means it's a really forgiving location.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

Man you have way more faith in people than I do because I just assumed that the largest part of the playerbase is English-speaking and white and they want to play the most powerful country that lets them fufil some kind of ethnonationalist power fantasy.

Yes. That is exactly why I brought Naples to the forefront of international politics (back when they still had lovely ideas too) and went full Mussolini by killing France and Austria, conquering the entire balkans and colonizing the heck out of the uncolonized new world. It was good.

(Not really, I just wanted the Not just pizza achievement, but I actually live in Abruzzo which is Neapolitan lands in game so that counts?)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Playing England for the first time. Gave Maine back to France because of course I'll honor a treaty my continental friends.

Allied Burgundy among others.

Some years into the game, after mostly subjugating the Irish minors I get a CALL TO ARMS from Burgundy. They're attacking France. I figured it was typical AI being dumb as hell, but turned out Burgundy got a sizable crew together and said they'd give me land. I joined up, we beat up on France + Scotland, finished the Paris mission, and in the end Burgundy forced Scotland to annul their French alliance (thank you!) and also forced France to give me Maine back.

Thanks guys!

I never really min/maxed/cheesed the missions like everyone was apparently doing so I'm liking the system. I don't feel compelled to literally do every single mission as quick as possible or else I won't get the OPTIMAL ADVANTAGE. I can see it sorta sucking (or really being what, just as poo poo as the old system?) if you've just got generic missions though.

Might try going for Egypt and trying to beat the ol' Ottomans at their own game.

Koramei posted:

It's probably a bit of both really. The British Isles are popular in basically every strategy game though, and I do think that's in large part because their isolation means it's a really forgiving location.

Yeah people love turtling.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I did a few England games at first and wasn't happy. Then I started my third England game and went for attacking France first. I allied Aragon and Burgundy (took a few restarts for them to start non rivals) but as it turned out Burgundy didn't desire any French land so it was just me and Aragon. It was a tough war but I started peacing out their allies and things snowballed from there until I settled for a peace deal that saw me owning Paris some of the area around it. After that while waiting for truces I took care of Scotland in one war. Then I went for the big one, the PU over France and it kinda happened rather easily because my initial war really knocked them back and they had lost land to Aragon in another war ( I promised them land then told them to pound sand) and Burgundy. So they fell over rather easily. Then did some mopping up with Ireland and Brittany got a big coalition on me and had to release a bunch of Ireland which wasn't really a big deal because I kept my claims.

Then betrayed Portugal who somehow owned Gibralter instead of Castille, Supported Naples independence and then in another war supported Aragons independence then backstabbed Aragon again once I killed the dream of a united Spain so I could finish the western med mission moved onto Crete for a nice stopping off point before an invasion of the Nile Delta. About to finish the integration of France which will be my launching point for the invasion of Burgundy. Did a bunch of colony stuff along the way.

England seems real good.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

RabidWeasel posted:

I have literally never played a single game starting in Europe west of the HRE (other than Burgundy) so I guess my brain is broken in the other direction.

England is pretty much the historical winner from this time period. They ended up with the largest empire, and influenced the world on an unimaginable scale. Since the united states also represents a huge portion of the player base, England is also the country they are most familiar with (for non-Americans, we learn basically nothing about non-England Europe in public schools unless you went to a really good one). It's in a safe position, and can participate in great power conflicts way above what its size would indicate.
It's also important to remember that most people just never learned about the atrocities England committed with its colonial empire, unlike what the Nazis did. Speaking from my public school education, we literally never covered anything England did to its colonies (other than America) in this time period. I had to learn all that poo poo on my own, and the casual player may not even know about it. So playing England just feels like playing The Good Guys From WW2, the teenage years.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So, aside from the stuff in the British Isles, what countries don't get an entirely generic mission tree? It kind of sounds like they just burned a lot of the country-specific missions for no real reason.

I'm still finishing a game from the last version so I'd have trouble checking.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mr. Fowl posted:

So, aside from the stuff in the British Isles, what countries don't get an entirely generic mission tree? It kind of sounds like they just burned a lot of the country-specific missions for no real reason.

I'm still finishing a game from the last version so I'd have trouble checking.

Basically every existing state-specific mission got converted and most of the states that got significantly expanded missions were the ones that already had a decent number.

There's definitely not fewer unique missions now but there are still very many states with only the generic missions.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Seems like it's just way more obvious when you've got the generic boring missions.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, I think that's it. For a whole ton of countries I would practically forget missions existed entirely, or it would just be a loop of "colonize x" "get claims on y" "improve relations with z" for most of the game. The new system doesn't offer a lot extra for those situations but it's not replacing very much that's special, and it can be expanded on a whole lot in the future to way beyond what the old system could do.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Your first game with Portugal should obviously be allying with Aragon to eat Castille then turning around and allying France to eat Aragon. Form Spain and make every single person living on the iberian peninsula cry out in horror.

Bonus points if you then use Spain's overpowered age bonus to eat southern France and the entire Genoan trade node to set your capital/trading center in and then spend the rest of the game feeding the node until you're richer than god.

Is this actually possible? I started a new game three or four times and every time Aragon starts with Portugal rivaled.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

These missions England gets are loving nuts. Permanent claims on the whole of the British Isles? France? Every loving rock in the Med? The entirety of India?

It's like a rocket train to world domination.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

No, same here: one of the things I dig to hell is the fact that you can go a lot further afield in EUIV than CK2. The closest to Britain I played for long was trying to invade Britain as vikings, which is playing as home so it doesn't count.

Like, all my last games have been various attempts at glorious murder against Europe. It is, btw, deeply irritating how central Europe is to the whole shebang.

I would pay big loving bucks for premade alternative setups, alternative institutions or something like that, that would still be Ironman compatable.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Is there only a generic manufactory and a furnace now or am i missing something

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's only one button for every manufactory in the macro builder, because manufactories all do the exact same thing. One of the best changes in the patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I'm buying this expansion just because this Dev Clash is so good. Can anyone stop the Kaiser Emperor!?