Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

exquisite tea posted:

I buy games at full price on release because I know what I like and am not easily swayed by goon opinions.

Yes, but nowadays you can never be sure of what the game is like, doubly so for PC and the quality of their ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That, plus giving beta access to the terrible multiplayer instead of giving people a demo of the real game. The reception was so bad that they had to delete the Steam page and make a new one at release so it wasn't filled with negative reviews.

Also they didn't give out review copies so there was nobody playing it before release to say it was good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All the god of war games were really good so I’m not sure why people think the new one wouldn’t be.

E: oh wait there was ascension also. I didn’t play that one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think gamers overall are supremely negative on any major AAA game until the moment it releases, maybe because they've been burned many times by downgraded graphics and inflated expectations. I remember when Horizon Zero Dawn premiered in 2015 you had people insisting for years that there was no way it would look that good and it was 100% scripted, when the final product ended up looking even better and the combat was more or less the same exact strategy you use for taking down a Thunderjaw.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I really want a game like Bioshock Infinite, except it's a Deus Ex affair instead of a corridor-shooter, and your capacity for violence is limited to tapping people on the head.

And it's not an episodic release because gently caress that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

oldpainless posted:

All the god of war games were really good so I’m not sure why people think the new one wouldn’t be.

III was released 8 years ago so a lot (personnel, design philosophies etc.) has changed since then.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I think gamers overall are supremely negative on any major AAA game until the moment it releases, maybe because they've been burned many times by downgraded graphics and inflated expectations. I remember when Horizon Zero Dawn premiered in 2015 you had people insisting for years that there was no way it would look that good and it was 100% scripted, when the final product ended up looking even better and the combat was more or less the same exact strategy you use for taking down a Thunderjaw.

lol yeah, gamers never get hyped up for video games pre-release, that’s why preorder numbers are always so low.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
loving entitled gamers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

lol yeah, gamers never get hyped up for video games pre-release, that’s why preorder numbers are always so low.

I'll rephrase and say that posters on these forums are predominantly negative when it comes to upcoming games.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I'll rephrase and say that posters on these forums are predominantly negative when it comes to upcoming games.

Yeah, I’m sure the giant press release OP in every Games thread is totally ironic.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Samuringa posted:

Yes, but nowadays you can never be sure of what the game is like, doubly so for PC and the quality of their ports.

Honestly I think Dues Ex Mankind Divided is the last time I got really burned on a PC preorder in terms of the game just not really working right. It happens, but not with any great regularity these days.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

They're dragging Kratos back out again, after his story was definitely wrapped up in 3. We saw the world being created by the Greek primordials, so either we're going to cheapen the entire series to this point (no, no, the sun only dropped from the sky over Greece, Norway still had a sun) or we're going into some multiversal bs.

Also they didn't even finish off Greek - Apollo and Artemis never showed up. I worry the Norse pantheon is too similar to the Greek for a full reset with the same main character.

The last game in the series, Ascension, was *really* bad, but mostly because they hosed up the combat to adjust it for the multiplayer.

Still gonna try it, but ehhhhhh.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Comparing the new god of war to the old ones seems like a big mistake - so much has changed since the series finished that it's impossible to think that there's going to be any shared DNA between the two. A story of redemption for what was supposedly an ireedeemable rear end in a top hat from the first series looks promising.

The game looks pretty darn cool to me, though I'm likely going to wait a while after release to see what thoughts are on it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm still irritated that god of war 2 and 3 exist. GOW 1 had a perfectly good narrative that wrapped up and concluded on itself, then the game was popular so they just poo poo on the narrative and pumped out two 'same but more' sequels. They were fine gameplay wise but I'm still salty they didn't just make a new plot entirely instead of bastardizing the plot of 1.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Kratos just wants to raise his kid in a safer neighborhood.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agent355 posted:

I'm still irritated that god of war 2 and 3 exist. GOW 1 had a perfectly good narrative that wrapped up and concluded on itself, then the game was popular so they just poo poo on the narrative and pumped out two 'same but more' sequels. They were fine gameplay wise but I'm still salty they didn't just make a new plot entirely instead of bastardizing the plot of 1.

I liked that little stinger from the first you could u lock that showed US troops stumbling on the dungeon from the first game attached to a dead Titan. It's a shame that never got anywhere

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The original plan was for Kratos to massacre his way through other mythologies, until he saw a star descending in the North...

Whether it was because of Kratos' popularity or the devs not wanting to over-reach I can't say, but the idea was scrapped.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RE:Revelations is cool and I've been really digging it on Casual as a fun action romp to unwind from Soulsborne stuff. But...the first boss is just annoying, even on the easiest difficulty. The boss himself isn't THAT bad, and there's helpful exploding barrels everywhere to help do some major damage, but he just has a million adds come from every single corner of the level so you end up getting totally cornered with nowhere to dodge. Even with grenades and explosive barrels it seems like they spawn too fast to keep up with.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It’s probably hard to tell a coherent story when you have to keep making sequels forever, especially with the modern trend of wrapping up a trilogy then trying to drag it out again because it’s easy money.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As long as god of war 4 continues the tradition of playing a mini game where Kratos makes sweet love to one or more women at once, I’m prepared to give it at least an 8/10

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

food court bailiff posted:

RE:Revelations is cool and I've been really digging it on Casual as a fun action romp to unwind from Soulsborne stuff. But...the first boss is just annoying, even on the easiest difficulty. The boss himself isn't THAT bad, and there's helpful exploding barrels everywhere to help do some major damage, but he just has a million adds come from every single corner of the level so you end up getting totally cornered with nowhere to dodge. Even with grenades and explosive barrels it seems like they spawn too fast to keep up with.

Is that Mr. Mayday? His build up was great.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oldpainless posted:

well from what i've seen of the new god of war

-it has crafting mechanics even though its not even an open world game
-all the enemies just get stunlocked to hell meaning there is no challenge just mash that light attack button like its a bad Musou game
-there's a cool "freeze an enemy and smash them into another enemy" attack but it does no damage to the frozen enemy
-the little kid is literally young anakin skywalker. imagine hearing lines along the line of "I'LL TRY SPINNING, THATS A GOOD TRICK" throughout the whole game while he scrambles across the battlefield

there is a chance that sony will realize "oh gently caress, we gotta make a god of war game" and rebuild the whole thing from the ground up, but sometimes miracles do not happen.

edit: oh yeah the upgrade system is one of those loving "get x% more butt stat" systems that will not make a single difference to the gameplay.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Mar 21, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't know if I played them on the wrong difficulty or what, but I was never able to get into the God of War games. It felt like everything took three times as long as it should have to kill, but nothing really presented much of a challenge (at least early on).

I actually bought the GoW Remastered collection twice because it included a bitchin' red controller and was on sale for cheaper than a controller alone but both times I ended up selling or trading away the game.

e: missed this:

scarycave posted:

Is that Mr. Mayday? His build up was great.

Yeah. The way you hear him shouting as you approach the door....and the fact that the game gives you a bunch of clear shots of the lock from windows really far away...it's this creeping sense of dread that you know exactly what's coming and you have to do it anyway.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Mar 21, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GoW fuckin sucks. It's like a character action game for people with no thumbs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I liked the games but I don't see me buying this one because they never seem long enough to justify the prices so I'll hit up the somehow still open Family Video and go that route

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I love it when people know exactly how good it is based on a short gameplay preview.

spit on my clit posted:

-it has crafting mechanics even though its not even an open world game

So does Resident Evil 7, Alien Isolation, and the Last of Us, just off the top of my head.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

I love it when people know exactly how good it is based on a short gameplay preview.

So does Resident Evil 7, Alien Isolation, and the Last of Us, just off the top of my head.

You mean like Resident Evil 7 being a lovely Outlast clone?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

yeah those arent open world, but those are survival horror games, where you must scrounge for resources, using what you have, whereas the crafting in god of war is "make new weapons that never break also theres infinite arrows"

i should have accentuated more that the new god of war is a game that does not need crafting

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

You mean like Resident Evil 7 being a lovely Outlast clone?

Or Horizon being bad because of a short quest looking bad.

spit on my clit posted:

yeah those arent open world, but those are survival horror games, where you must scrounge for resources, using what you have, whereas the crafting in god of war is "make new weapons that never break also theres infinite arrows"

i should have accentuated more that the new god of war is a game that does not need crafting

Maybe not, but there's no reason a crafting system can't add to a game. Until anyone sees the full game in action, it's hard to say how well crafting will integrate with it.

I'd argue crafting is more interesting in a non-open-world game. Knowing that you can't just wander the world collecting all the pig butts you need to craft your pig butt helmet +1 means having to make actual decisions on what you want to make re: pig butts.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

Maybe not, but there's no reason a crafting system can't add to a game. Until anyone sees the full game in action, it's hard to say how well crafting will integrate with it.

I'd argue crafting is more interesting in a non-open-world game. Knowing that you can't just wander the world collecting all the pig butts you need to craft your pig butt helmet +1 means having to make actual decisions on what you want to make re: pig butts.

you craft weapons that give you bigger numbers, like how the upgrade system gives you bigger numbers

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

you craft weapons that give you bigger numbers, like how the upgrade system gives you bigger numbers

So I skipped through the footage until it got to the little blue guy with the crafting menu, and I'd argue that it's barely crafting. If this is the footage referred to, he has the option of buying armor with what I assume is money (hacksilver) or upgrading his weapon, which isn't really 'crafting' in the traditional sense - it also gave him access to more skills, not just better numbers.

When I think of crafting, I think of having an inventory of straps and iron ore that are trash unless I put it into a recipe to make something that is either utter poo poo compared to loot I find, or miles better than anything purchasable. Unless I'm missing something, this is just an upgrade system that is parallel to what I assume is an xp system. What I didn't like seeing is 'sort by rarity', making we worry that there'll be random loot or something bad like that.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Morpheus posted:

So I skipped through the footage until it got to the little blue guy with the crafting menu, and I'd argue that it's barely crafting.

then why is it in the game

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

spit on my clit posted:

then why is it in the game

As an extra thing to do?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

GoW fuckin sucks. It's like a character action game for people with no thumbs
By far the best weapon in the first one was the big clumsy sword because it could interrupt everything enemies did, so all you had to do was the same combo over and over for the rest of the game. It wasn't well thought out.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Avenging_Mikon posted:

As an extra thing to do?

"an extra thing to do" isn't exactly a reason for it belonging in the game, especially if its as tacked on as the loot/crafting in War Dad is.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

spit on my clit posted:

"an extra thing to do" isn't exactly a reason for it belonging in the game, especially if its as tacked on as the loot/crafting in War Dad is.

Eh. I just don't have it in me to get mad at crafting being in a game that isn't even released yet. It's there, it doesn't seem super-obligatory or time consuming, it probably didn't take much in the way of programmer time. If the game sucks it won't be because of the crafting being there or not there.

I'm also not saying it's good. I'm just saying I can't understand being so set against it. :shrug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I haven't watched the footage but I need to now because it sounds like generic weapon upgrading not crafting

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
You upgrade the weapons, but you craft new armor. The armor crafting is the more egregious one, as it seems to just be make-number-go-up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spinning Robo posted:

You upgrade the weapons, but you craft new armor. The armor crafting is the more egregious one, as it seems to just be make-number-go-up.

So how is it different than just buying new armor? I mean it seems a little ridiculous to start going "THIS IS A BAD SYSTEM" when you haven't really seen it in action. But then again goons are quick to throw judgement on this before they come out.

Like Until Dawn being a poo poo game with no redeeming qualities
Resident Evil 7 being Outlast
Horizon just being a generic Ubisoft game

Content: am I blind or does Chrono Trigger ds not have a quicksave option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

But then again goons are quick to throw judgement on this before they come out.

Like Until Dawn being a poo poo game with no redeeming qualities
Resident Evil 7 being Outlast
Horizon just being a generic Ubisoft game

what a whiny gamer

speaking of whiny gamers, holy poo poo Borderlands 2 is still annoying to listen to, to this day. the only characters whose voices dont grate on my ears like a salsa-dancing cheese grater are hammerlock and marcus