Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Is a movie that came out almost 40 years ago not an old movie?

I'm not arguing the facts presented in the line, I am saying it was poorly written and falls flat. This can also be laid on Holland's delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I assumed Peter was like me and expecting old people to not know what he was talking about, so he dumbed it down for them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rhyno posted:

I'm not arguing the facts presented in the line, I am saying it was poorly written and falls flat. This can also be laid on Holland's delivery.

If the directors had wanted him to be joking they should have done another take. It was just a voice over anyway, no expensive reshoots or anything. They didn't have him deliver a joke though, only the setup.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Remember that in the MCU the UN has actual power.

It may seem similar to our world cosmetically but everything is really different.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
He does know Empire, he just doesn't assume the other guys know it. There are generations (not his) of people who held a "Star Wars is for nerds" position until recently.

Nodosaur posted:

I assumed Peter was like me and expecting old people to not know what he was talking about, so he dumbed it down for them.

This

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 21, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I absolutely believe none of the avengers care about star wars enough to know what he was talking about had he not specified

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Nodosaur posted:

I read it as Peter really, really wants to impress everyone, so he pretends he doesn't know what Empire Strikes Back is because that's a nerdy movie for nerds and he's a cool dude who would totally make an awesome Avenger, guys, like, seriously.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Rhyno posted:

Okay, instead of favorite flick, what is your #1 favorite moment in the MCU?

I can't lie, mine is GET HELP.

"He mighta been yer father but he weren't yer daddy."

Honorable shoutouts to Steve Rogers jumping on the grenade, also Cap and Iron Man arguing about whether it counts that Vision lifted Mjolnir

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Steve jumping on the grenade is probably the most badass, heroic moment in all of the MCU.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Rhyno posted:

Steve jumping on the grenade is probably the most badass, heroic moment in all of the MCU.

This I'll agree with 100%. It told us everything we needed to know about Steve in a single scene - it was awesome.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

anyway it's not my favorite moment but

"That shield doesn't belong to you. You don't deserve it! My father made that shield!"

No line in the MCU hits me as hard as that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Peter literally has vintage Kenner figs on his desk, there’s no way that line wasn’t a bad attempt at a joke.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Peter Parker is a nerd with 70s Star Wars toys but Spider-Man is not.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Nodosaur posted:

"That shield doesn't belong to you. You don't deserve it! My father made that shield!"

That was a powerful line, but I think Peter Quill's line in GotG2 after Yondu bites it also hits pretty hard: "What I'm trying to say here is... sometimes that *thing* you're searching for your whole life... is right there by your side all along. And you don't even know it."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That was a powerful line, but I think Peter Quill's line in GotG2 after Yondu bites it also hits pretty hard: "What I'm trying to say here is... sometimes that *thing* you're searching for your whole life... is right there by your side all along. And you don't even know it."

"He didn't chase them away."

"No."

"Even though he yelled at them, and was always mean. And he stole batteries he didn't need."

"Well, of course not."

That was the best possible way to end that movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

duck trucker posted:

Jumping in from lurking to chime in. Best scene from Age of Ultron is when the fighting on Sokovia starts and the land starts to fly.

"We need to save as many people as we can."

Captain America: "We're saving everyone."

My friend who I saw the movie with complained that Cap was being stupid by trying to save everyone, I was like, buddy you don't Get Captain America.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jonny_Rocket posted:

"I guess in a way my dad was David Hasslehoff"

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Not the best line and maybe not the best moment, but few MCU bits have made me mark so hard.

https://youtu.be/Q5OshhcQKDg

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The final moment between Vision and Ultron is definitely worth a nod.

Vision: You're afraid.
Ultron: Of you?
Vision: Of death. You're the last one.
Ultron: You were supposed to be the last. Stark asked for a savior and settled for a slave.
Vision: I suppose we are both disappointments.
Ultron: Heh. I suppose we are.
Vision: Humans are odd. They think order and chaos are somehow opposites and... try to control what won't be. But there is grace in their failings. I think you missed that.
Ultron: They're doomed.
Vision: Yes. But a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts. It's a privilege to be among them.
Ultron: You're unbearably naive.
Vision: Well... I was born yesterday.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

One of my favorite moments was the party in Age of Ultron where Cap just barely lifts the hammer. Hemsworth sells the "oh poo poo" look so well.

A more recent favorite was GotG2's sequence with Yondu and Rocket set to Come a Little Bit Closer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Yeah it just feels poorly placed. He doesn't sell it as him trying to be funny. It took me back to Tobey and his total inability to deliver a line with any comedic flare.

It's you who's out, Rhyno! Out of your mind!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I surprised no one mentioned, well, everything at the secret base in Civil War.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
His death was handled really well and I wouldn’t want it reversed, but I’d kill to have seen Yondu in Infinity War. Michael Rooker is a treasure. :allears:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Cap in the elevator will always be my favorite.

"Before we get started, does anybody want to get off?"

I got chills yo!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would vote for Chris Evans if he ran on an all-Captain America platform.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Little Mac posted:

Not the best line and maybe not the best moment, but few MCU bits have made me mark so hard.

https://youtu.be/Q5OshhcQKDg

The Airport scene at least is the only one I'll go out of my way to watch. Like once in a while I'll just queue it up on Netflix and sit there with my kid for a few minutes. Can't say I do that with anything else

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phylodox posted:

I read it as Peter really, really wants to impress everyone, so he pretends he doesn't know what Empire Strikes Back is because that's a nerdy movie for nerds and he's a cool dude who would totally make an awesome Avenger, guys, like, seriously.
STEVE: I think the prequels were flawed but I found the first and third one enjoyable.

TONY: [silence]

TITLE CARD: CIVIL WAR

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
"And the Avengers? They went home."

"Vengeance has consumed you. It's consuming them. I am done letting it consume me."

It's actually pretty remarkable how well Holland and Boseman sold their solo films in Civil War. And that both turned out pretty great.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

If Steve and Tony don't reconcile before one of them dies, my eyes are gonna water pretty heavily.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
"There are no men like me!"

"There are always men like you."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Did you like Chris Hemsworth's foray into comedy?

Did you like his chemistry with Tessa Thompson in Ragnarok?

Well, I have news just for you!!

Looking like they'll be fresh recruits and Will and Tommy will hopefully be their mentors and take them through training

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 21, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Koalas March posted:

Looking like they'll be fresh recruits and Will and Tommy will hopefully be their mentors and take them through training

lmao okay im in

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Koalas March posted:

I mean, Chris Hemsworth I get, but Tessa Thompson as Jonah Hill kind of baffles me.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I mean, Chris Hemsworth I get, but Tessa Thompson as Jonah Hill kind of baffles me.

clean and rad and powerful.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Koalas March posted:

I want him to be playing the exact same character from Ghostbusters.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Disney to Help Open STEM Center in Oakland After Black Panther’s Success

It's no vibranium-laced playgrounds, but this is kinda nice.

SonicRulez posted:

"Vengeance has consumed you. It's consuming them. I am done letting it consume me."
This whole sequence, capping off with this line, is probably what elevated the Civil War from "This is a great comic book film" to "This is some of the best stuff being made these days, period" in my eyes.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
"Thank you, Captain. Pretty sure this guy's a war criminal now, but whatever"
"Good ollll' Spiderman"
"Spiderman, do a flip!", and every other part of that montage.

I like Homecoming a lot. :shobon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"I had a date."

:cry:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Koalas March posted:

Will and Tommy will hopefully be their mentors and take them through training

This isn't happening. Neither has any interest in returning to the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've said before that while Avengers is the crossover and Civil War is a solo film that also managed to throw all the action figures in a box, Homecoming is the movie to me that feels like it takes place in a fully realized Marvel universe. It doesn't have to set up anything at all, there's nothing for it to build. It's just this already fully-realized thing because of the previous 20 movies or however many there are. There are few sequences that make me grin like that guy with the funny high voice.

"Hey, you're that guy on Youtube!"
"Call me Spider-Man!"
"Okay Spiiiiiiider-Man.....do a flip!"

Also, right before Get Help "Loki I thought the world of you."

• Locked thread