Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The two or three videos I watched were recent and did not give me an impression that he gave a poo poo about children watching his videos
One of them was the one of Akiba Red who is a red ranger from an adult-aimed sentai parody series. The character is anime-obsessed shutin and his anime waifu becomes armor and weapons, so of course that's not really a kids toy. but Jobby kind of went too far in an unfunny way when talking about "waifus" including a dirty picture of Judy loving Hopps and telling viewers to look up Onaholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My new thread will be up on friday around 20:00 GMT+1. Feel free to lock or cooldown this one till then.

I'm also going to try to be nice with rephrasing the posting guidelines because while I myself really don't like to associate with (alt-)right people either I do agree that sometimes posts go from 0 to 100 fast in both the good and bad ways.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jim Sterling's new video Would Be Perfect On The Switch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-3eSYGKy0

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think you misunderstood my point, I am not on KJs side here. I am mainly against the use of a Right Wing talking points she keeps using as a defense. Those are insane.

sry, my bad

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i'm going to start delivering powerful suplexes and armbars to everyone in this thread

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would just like it if we could talk without erupting into all out war every two days. It was nice when content creators used to hang out here but more and more they keep away, and with good reason.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The two or three videos I watched were recent and did not give me an impression that he gave a poo poo about children watching his videos
One of them was the one of Akiba Red who is a red ranger from an adult-aimed sentai parody series. The character is anime-obsessed shutin and his anime waifu becomes armor and weapons, so of course that's not really a kids toy. but Jobby kind of went too far in an unfunny way when talking about "waifus" including a dirty picture of Judy loving Hopps and telling viewers to look up Onaholes.

Probably would have been more effective to lead in with that.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I would just like it if we could talk without erupting into all out war every two days. It was nice when content creators used to hang out here but more and more they keep away, and with good reason.

I don't really recall any hostility in this thread.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

Yo Kim I'ma share advice that's helped me:

If someone calls you out in a way that you don't think is fair, and it gets under your skin and you feel really upset about it, don't respond. Close the window, get away from the computer if you need to. Go do something that makes you feel better. If you're in a particularly bad place, just take a break from the thread for a while.

Nine times out of ten, this poo poo will just blow over, nobody will remember it later, and you will feel a lot better having not waded into another fruitless argument. We don't tend to remember the people who say something that someone disagrees with and then just sits on their hands. We remember the people who feel the need to Get Into It for multiple page arguments. (And after like a week you probably won't remember what the gently caress the callout was even about.)

Like yeah, if you're feeling attacked, you'll feel the instinct to respond. But in venues like this, it's actually much, much better to just let it go and let other people be wrong. Both for your rep and for your stress levels.

Thanks. :)

There are times when I shouldn't come in here. Yesterday was one of those times (and no, it's not because of drink or anything. Yes, that makes me sound like an alcoholic). I'm getting a lot of nasty poo poo right now which I'm not going to give the oxygen of publicity to, simply for defending friends of mine. So what do I do? Come in here, get into a fight and get MORE poo poo. It's really stupid.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Augus posted:

i wonder what average sales is on steam, ignoring the big budget aaa games. it'd be interesting to figure out how cheap your game needs to be, on average, to actually make money.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.
Hi Kim,

The "documentary" Jim did has resulted in the worst harassment I have ever gotten in eight years of being a web content producer. This includes gamergate, which he also had a hand in starting. This started in October and has barely abated. They follow me across platforms, parroting Jim's nonsense. I've gotten hundreds of variations on "kill yourself" since October, which I've had to stay silent on because bringing attention to it only increases their numbers. They called my mother at my house to let her know that I was a drunk and an abortionist. At her loving house, Kim. I could go on, but the point is, after years of being a lady on the internet, only jim has been so successful at whipping up his followers into such a targeted frenzy. I do not say anything about it, because these people cannot be reasoned with. Their raison d'etre is to cause their targets pain and misery. They are in it, as they say, "For the lulz", and mere acknowledgement of their tactics is in and of itself a win.

And before you get defensive about this, and to maybe contextualize this, downplay it or even suggest that maybe I deserve this targeted harassment, because hey it was my decision to put myself out there (I've had to cut ties with a few because they believed this very thing), I ask you to please consider for a moment to not react in the heat of the moment, and instead to perhaps consider why Dan and I get so upset when you try to play "both sides" with Jim. Either you are willfully ignoring his harassment brigades, or you simply did not know. Well, now you know, and as the occasional victim of harassment yourself, perhaps you might be able to empathize with why trying to play "both sides" with a person who has been the locus for so much fear and misery for not just us but many, many others might arouse some upset feelings. I, personally, was pretty upset at how it was more important to you to give people like Jim the benefit of the doubt than to feel for his victims, so I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you simply do not know how bad his harassment brigades get, because if you don't travel in the circles of his audience, how would you know? I'm just here to clarify - it's really, really bad. And now you know. Stop giving people like Jim the benefit of the doubt.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pirate Jenny posted:

even suggest that maybe I deserve this targeted harassment

Hey I know I'm just some random on the internet and I'm not familiar with the events we're referring to here, but I just wanted say that I'm sorry these things happened to you and you didn't deserve any of this poo poo, they're just lovely and bad people. :sympathy:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Pirate Jenny posted:

Hi Kim,

The "documentary" Jim did has resulted in the worst harassment I have ever gotten in eight years of being a web content producer. This includes gamergate, which he also had a hand in starting. This started in October and has barely abated. They follow me across platforms, parroting Jim's nonsense. I've gotten hundreds of variations on "kill yourself" since October, which I've had to stay silent on because bringing attention to it only increases their numbers. They called my mother at my house to let her know that I was a drunk and an abortionist. At her loving house, Kim. I could go on, but the point is, after years of being a lady on the internet, only jim has been so successful at whipping up his followers into such a targeted frenzy. I do not say anything about it, because these people cannot be reasoned with. Their raison d'etre is to cause their targets pain and misery. They are in it, as they say, "For the lulz", and mere acknowledgement of their tactics is in and of itself a win.

And before you get defensive about this, and to maybe contextualize this, downplay it or even suggest that maybe I deserve this targeted harassment, because hey it was my decision to put myself out there (I've had to cut ties with a few because they believed this very thing), I ask you to please consider for a moment to not react in the heat of the moment, and instead to perhaps consider why Dan and I get so upset when you try to play "both sides" with Jim. Either you are willfully ignoring his harassment brigades, or you simply did not know. Well, now you know, and as the occasional victim of harassment yourself, perhaps you might be able to empathize with why trying to play "both sides" with a person who has been the locus for so much fear and misery for not just us but many, many others might arouse some upset feelings. I, personally, was pretty upset at how it was more important to you to give people like Jim the benefit of the doubt than to feel for his victims, so I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that you simply do not know how bad his harassment brigades get, because if you don't travel in the circles of his audience, how would you know? I'm just here to clarify - it's really, really bad. And now you know. Stop giving people like Jim the benefit of the doubt.

I can only apologise., Lindsay.

Truthfully I didn't know how bad things got, and really didn't mean to make light of it in any way.

I'm truly sorry.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zedd posted:

My new thread will be up on friday around 20:00 GMT+1. Feel free to lock or cooldown this one till then.

I'm also going to try to be nice with rephrasing the posting guidelines because while I myself really don't like to associate with (alt-)right people either I do agree that sometimes posts go from 0 to 100 fast in both the good and bad ways.

Might I suggest two updated semi-serious entries to the rules for the sake of maintaining the peace?

1) No BravestOfTheLamps
2) No Kim Justice

Thank you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kim Justice posted:

Thanks. :)

There are times when I shouldn't come in here. Yesterday was one of those times (and no, it's not because of drink or anything. Yes, that makes me sound like an alcoholic). I'm getting a lot of nasty poo poo right now which I'm not going to give the oxygen of publicity to, simply for defending friends of mine. So what do I do? Come in here, get into a fight and get MORE poo poo. It's really stupid.

thats how I ended up making and deleting three separate twitter accounts :v:

corn in the bible posted:

i wonder what average sales is on steam, ignoring the big budget aaa games. it'd be interesting to figure out how cheap your game needs to be, on average, to actually make money.

$5 or less, probably. Steam Sales kinda hosed up the entire concept of monetary value on there.
I should totally pick up Blossom Tales speaking of which. I adore top-down Zelda and games that take inspiration from it.
The Switch really is doing great poo poo for Indie games as Steam steadily goes down the shitter. Celeste was freaking amazing and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that it would've been overlooked entirely if not for being released on the Switch, where it became one of the best selling games on Nintendo's digital marketplace and got picked up by many of the big youtube "influencers". Hollow Knight will probably be getting a big bump in sales when it gets to Switch later this year, as it rightfully deserves.

There is still shovelware on Switch but its in controlled amounts. The eshop's new releases are at a steady pace, not the tedious dripfeed that it was in the Wii U years and far from the constant barrage of poo poo that steam's "New Releases" are, with hundreds of near-identical games flooding out constantly. Not to mention when I'm trying to actively search for a certain kind of game and have to click past every single microtransaction for battlerite or some poo poo.

The eshop is in a wonderful place right now and apparently Nintendo has plans to make it even easier to find games.

EDIT: Didn't see Lindsay's post while I was typing this. Man that is just horrible.
Just want to say that you're good people that have been an inspiration. All the thread drama in the world doesn't change how much of a positive force your work has been in a very negative time.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 21, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Might I suggest two updated semi-serious entries to the rules for the sake of maintaining the peace?

1) No BravestOfTheLamps
2) No Kim Justice

Thank you.

Please, no.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Probably would have been more effective to lead in with that.

hey, I never heard of the guy until he was posted here, he's never even been mentioned in the forum's dedicated Transformers thread where he'd be relevant.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Augus posted:

thats how I ended up making and deleting three separate twitter accounts :v:

$5 or less, probably. Steam Sales kinda hosed up the entire concept of monetary value on there.
I should totally pick up Blossom Tales speaking of which. I adore top-down Zelda and games that take inspiration from it.
The Switch really is doing great poo poo for Indie games as Steam steadily goes down the shitter. Celeste was freaking amazing and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that it would've been overlooked entirely if not for being released on the Switch, where it became one of the best selling games on Nintendo's digital marketplace and got picked up by many of the big youtube "influencers". Hollow Knight will probably be getting a big bump in sales when it gets to Switch later this year, as it rightfully deserves.

There is still shovelware on Switch but its in controlled amounts. The eshop's new releases are at a steady pace, not the tedious dripfeed that it was in the Wii U years and far from the constant barrage of poo poo that steam's "New Releases" are, with hundreds of near-identical games flooding out constantly. Not to mention when I'm trying to actively search for a certain kind of game and have to click past every single microtransaction for battlerite or some poo poo.

The eshop is in a wonderful place right now and apparently Nintendo has plans to make it even easier to find games.

No, I mean I want to know how cheap to MAKE a game must be in order to profit.

All these people on the internet approach Steam from a consumer's perspective and it's like, "I hope xyz gets ported to Steam!!" etc but I bet the price of doing so is more than games actually earn, on average.

Maybe I'll do some analysis and make a video about it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

No, I mean I want to know how cheap to MAKE a game must be in order to profit.

All these people on the internet approach Steam from a consumer's perspective and it's like, "I hope xyz gets ported to Steam!!" etc but I bet the price of doing so is more than games actually earn, on average.

Maybe I'll do some analysis and make a video about it.

Last I checked, Steam takes a 30% cut of every sale.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Zedd posted:

Nah, I've seen the thread be way worse.

So my understanding is the new thread will mainly be a PYF / proto-RSS feed of new stuff, rather than a discussion about content/creators?

If it's just going to be this thread, but v4.0 with some better rules, I'll lock this thread on the way out. Otherwise, I'll keep this one open so when/if people start stuff in the other thread, they can be told "Take that poo poo to 3.0".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if, statistically, the ONLY way to make guaranteed money is to do an asset flip. Or work for free, of course.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

lornekates posted:

Nah, I've seen the thread be way worse.

So my understanding is the new thread will mainly be a PYF / proto-RSS feed of new stuff, rather than a discussion about content/creators?

If it's just going to be this thread, but v4.0 with some better rules, I'll lock this thread on the way out. Otherwise, I'll keep this one open so when/if people start stuff in the other thread, they can be told "Take that poo poo to 3.0".

I vote against two threads just because the discussion is really good here about 20-30% of the time, when my particular hobby-horses and bugbears bubble up to the surface.

I’ve honestly had and read better cultural politics discussion here than most other places I go for that, even though I don’t really like the anime and video games and The Troubles. I ‘m guessing it’s the same but inverted for lots of others.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

business hammocks posted:

I’ve honestly had and read better cultural politics discussion here than most other places I go for that

Thank you :)

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Whatever you do with the thread I'm likely just going to continue mostly lurking and posting on occasion if a review catches my eye. I see no need to ban people or have two threads, but maybe step in if a discussion goes on for pages and gets people riled up? That's my two cents.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The problem is less price and more exposure. Blossom Tale was released on Steam with zero fanfare or push by the devs while on the Switch Nintendo featured it in one of their directs and was featured in the new releases alongside only a couple other games when it came out.

Steam's pile of games every day is absolutely murdering devs who can't market for themselves.

Lightning Knight posted:

So do most publishers and platform owners. I'm sure the Nintendo indies are paying at least 20%.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's no chapter on Nero though, which is a real disappointment.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I also vote against two threads, even if my opinion is worth gently caress all right now.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I’ve honestly had and read better cultural politics discussion here than most other places I go for that, even though I don’t really like the anime and video games and The Troubles. I ‘m guessing it’s the same but inverted for lots of others.

Yeah the high points of this thread have been worth it despite the BS. One thread and one alone!

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

We've already have a second thread and nobody really posts in it so any new threads may as well just be 4.0.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Augus posted:

EDIT: Didn't see Lindsay's post while I was typing this. Man that is just horrible.
Just want to say that you're good people that have been an inspiration. All the thread drama in the world doesn't change how much of a positive force your work has been in a very negative time.

This lunatic internet culture war is going to have strange, weird reverberations in all kinds of unexpected places for the next generation or so, and I’m so glad that, if it had to happens all, there are voices pushing back against the tide of selfish, slovenly, cruel minds pumping out videos.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the video-producing lines have broken down not necessarily along explicit political lines (in terms of video content), but with a consensus among the 4chan crowd that people making thoughtful, analytical videos valuing honesty and a desire to do better are on a deep level a threat to and the enemy of the narcissistic and self-soothing viciousness of zero-edit, three-hour rants by greasy-haired Carl Benjamin or one of twelve-dozen identical white boys hiding behind a cartoon drawing with the Dreamworks smirk.

I don’t want to overstate anything, but there probably are children learning how to think and pose questions because of Lindsay and everybody else, and without the video essay form being pushed and refined by minds that care, those kids would be drinking in Armored Sceptic or somebody, simply for want of an alternative.

It was passé or unforgivably naive for a while to think that there was anything humane or ethical about criticism, but that’s clearly wrong and I hope the work is able to continue.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It was my understanding we just wanted a 4.0 and opened it up a bit from from "internet critic" to "internet critics, personalities and reviewers". So basically the current content with more Toys and less worrying over if it belongs in here or not. :v:

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Paladin posted:

Yeah the high points of this thread have been worth it despite the BS. One thread and one alone!

Yeah, despite the bad rep this thread gets -and a lot of it is deserved to be fair- its introduced me to a lot of interesting media and things.

Like I forget who it was but someone in the thread recomend the Satyricon a Roman bawdy sex comedy. I can now honestly gloat that I have read a classic of antiquity. :smugdog:

Also thanks to whoever first shared Cinema Nippon. I finally found a non Anime focussed Japanese cinema outlet. I've also become a research assistant for some of there future videos which was a cool surprise.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

lornekates posted:

So my understanding is the new thread will mainly be a PYF / proto-RSS feed of new stuff

For all this thread's faults, it's still to its immense benefit that it is not just an RSS feed of Youtube subscription notifications. Having a thread that is just "[x] released a video on [y], let's proceed to not talk about it!" is pretty much pointless, IMO. ...But that said, I'm pretty sure no one was asking for that anyway, joking or otherwise, of course. :v:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
there was a PYF thread for internet critics that disallowed "drama" as a response to this one, and it died pretty quickly. Just putting that out there.

I'll also say, despite my opinion not being worth much, that while I have criticism about critics in general, Lindsey Ellis remains one of the best on youtube and what I wish more of them would be like.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Zedd posted:

It was my understanding we just wanted a 4.0 and opened it up a bit from from "internet critic" to "internet critics, personalities and reviewers". So basically the current content with more Toys and less worrying over if it belongs in here or not. :v:

Whatever we do, can we please bar BotL from this space finally.

Dragonatrix posted:

For all this thread's faults, it's still to its immense benefit that it is not just an RSS feed of Youtube subscription notifications. Having a thread that is just "[x] released a video on [y], let's proceed to not talk about it!" is pretty much pointless, IMO.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

there was a PYF thread for internet critics that disallowed "drama" as a response to this one, and it died pretty quickly. Just putting that out there.

Yeah, that's why split-off threads of this kinda thing often do nothing but shrivel up, it's kind of hard not to factor thoughts of politics and social issues into criticism and critics today more than ever.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 21, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah, despite the bad rep this thread gets -and a lot of it is deserved to be fair- its introduced me to a lot of interesting media and things.

Like I forget who it was but someone in the thread recomend the Satyricon a Roman bawdy sex comedy. I can now honestly gloat that I have read a classic of antiquity. :smugdog:

I'm reading Caligula: Divine Carnage and it surpasses antiquity.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lindsay you've had a wonderfully positive influence on my life and I'm disappointed in myself that I can't vocalize that enough to drown out all of that loving bullshit.

Zedd posted:

Yeah that's really the only thing a new thread would bring besides a clean slate, more opportunities to talk about other people who don't fall under the already broad net of "internet critics".

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the video-producing lines have broken down not necessarily along explicit political lines (in terms of video content), but with a consensus among the 4chan crowd that people making thoughtful, analytical videos valuing honesty and a desire to do better are on a deep level a threat to and the enemy of the narcissistic and self-soothing viciousness of zero-edit, three-hour rants by greasy-haired Carl Benjamin or one of twelve-dozen identical white boys hiding behind a cartoon drawing with the Dreamworks smirk.

I don’t want to overstate anything, but there probably are children learning how to think and pose questions because of Lindsay and everybody else, and without the video essay form being pushed and refined by minds that care, those kids would be drinking in Armored Sceptic or somebody, simply for want of an alternative.

It was passé or unforgivably naive for a while to think that there was anything humane or ethical about criticism, but that’s clearly wrong and I hope the work is able to continue.

This is pretty much exactly why I don't mind the derails into political talks. There's value in criticism, not only in criticizing something but in how you criticize it and how you present your criticism.

I just wish those derails wouldn't turn into personal attacks as well.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Augus posted:

Yahtzee released a review of Hunt Down the Freeman today and he ended it with a rant about the current state of the game industry, a big chunk of which being about Valve and Steam. It definitely seems like the game industry could be on the brink of a 1983-style collapse if the major platforms don't get the shovelware/asset flip problem under control. Consider that right now the economy is doing pretty well (by many measures, I know that that doesn't necessarily mean everyone is doing well), what will happen in the next recession? How many game studios, both big and small, will go out of business? Will "AAA" games with budgets over $100 million continue to be viable?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Lindsay you've had a wonderfully positive influence on my life and I'm disappointed in myself that I can't vocalize that enough to drown out all of that loving bullshit.

:same:

If nothing else (and there is a lot else), in that video about the three-act film, you finally articulated what "theory" means in media studies in a way I just wasn't getting before. It clicked!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I would like to humbly request On Cinema get mentioned in the new threads OP. They're pretty much tops when it comes to online film criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQl8zBB7bPvIooDTYwY7v_V12KJfQueXZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I'm pro removing BotL.

I'm anti removing Kim, since she does contribute meaningfully most of the time.

PS I hope things get better for you, Kim! It's definitely hard to have a lovely time in real life and then stumble into more stress in a place that's normally more fun.

Also +1 on the Lindsay praise.

• Locked thread