Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

You'll note that modern tanks don't use "national insignia" for the most part.

When I was in the USMC our tanks had "tac marks" - stenciled numbers painted with black spraypaint - but no star. I think the US Army uses a small black star, but again, it's relatively small and stenciled on with spraypaint.

You're trained to recognize silhouettes and shapes, not to look for opportunities to "shoot the ones with the big red stars."

I'll admit it seems a bit silly - once you're seeing the insignia you've already seen the tank - but the big white stars of WWII seem to be asking for trouble. I can understand using prominent markings to keep "friendly fire" at a minimum, like the white stripes on Soviet tanks in 1945 or the "inverted V" from the 1st Gulf War, but these are generally used when you've got a big advantage anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bewbies posted:

Both sides in the Civil War had significant SIGINT and EW efforts. The CSA had a whole giant organization in the north who just sat around trying to pirate telegraph lines.

I don't know why but I find this endearingly quaint.

There was the Culper ring during the American Revolution.

I know that before recently that spies were hated above all and executed when captured. Popular culture, Le Carre books, etc. tells us that in the Cold War foreign agents were captured and kept to be traded for allied spies. Was that true? When did it change exactly? I know that domestic spies that were caught were often executed {the Rosenbergs), but did NATO or WP execute foreign agents?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

zoux posted:

I know that domestic spies that were caught were often executed {the Rosenbergs), but did NATO or WP execute foreign agents?

Well, the Rosenbergs were the only Americans executed for espionage by the US in the Cold War. Most American spies for the Soviet Union were given prison time. The Soviets were more execution happy, though.

But no, foreign agents tended not to be executed. Imprisoned, but not executed. They were more valuable alive, because they could be traded back, and executions tended to invite retaliation.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

What about Soviet infantry casualties at Kursk, tho?

I'm just tired of Wehrabooing at my FLGS. Everytime you say something about Germans, thry will agree before turning around and saying that <flaw> didn't matter, because <kill count>

Sure, there were 12 Ferdinands at Kursk, but they had a good K/D!

My archeologist friend discovered an MG post which had a layer of brass half a meter deep!

Human waves!

Read back on what I wrote earlier. It covers Manpower losses as well.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 21st Mar 1918 posted:

Two patrols left our lines in the early morning the first starting at 2.15 am composed of L/C Coppin and 3 other ranks whose task it was to locate any work of the enemy and to reconnoitre the broken down pill-box east of JERICHO. The patrol proceeded in a South Easterly direction for about 70 yds from where sounds of digging were heard. The pill box was reconnoitred and found to be unoccupied but several coughs were heard from the trenches which was about 30 yds in rear of the pill box. The patrol returned at 4 am.
The second patrol, consisting of 2/Lt HARRIS, C.S.M. BERTOUCHE and 1 other rank left our shell hole position at 2.30 am to obtain information on the South side of the REUTELBEEK. A party of Bosches in extended order were seen to appear and commenced wiring, whereupon the patrol returned and Lewis Gun fire was brought to bear on the party. The patrol returned at 4 am.
About this time considerable gas shelling - chiefly counter battery work on the part of the enemy was noted. Many shells fell near Bn. H.Q. and precautionary action was taken. At roughly 5.15 am. and S.O.S. was put up on our right and our Artillery replied. At 6.30 am a counter preparation barrage was put down on our front.
At 2 pm 2/Lt HALE and 4 Officers of the draft reported at Bn. H.Q. and were posted to Companies. The three who were killed last night in the JOPPA JERICHO system were carried down during the day to Bn. H.Q. and from there were taken to the Cemetary at BURR CROSS ROADS for burial tomorrow.

13th KRRC War Diary, 21st/22nd Mar 1918 posted:

SPECIAL REPORT
A message was received from G.H.Q. that an identification was urgently needed from our front - this was received at 8 o'clock. Plans were immediately made for two fighting patrols. It was decided to have a big drive on the left up the POLDERHOEK CHATEAU slope and a fighting patrol consisting of 2/Lieuts. MARSHALL, YATES, HARRIS, C.S.M. BARTOUCHE and 20 other ranks, their objective being
(a) A suspected light M.G. night position.
(b) The wiring party of 40 reported by 2/Lt. HARRIS on the previous night.
(c) a ruined pill box reported to hold a machine gun.
(d) To follow any scout they might be able to pick up during patrol.

After throughly searching NO MANS LAND without result the patrol returned at 5.30 am.

Another patrol was to operate on the right consisting of 2/LIEUTs. HADDOW & CRAIG and 10 other ranks to cut out the post behind the concrete block North of JERICHO.
The patrol surrounded the post perfectly but found that the enemy had gone. It was decided to continue next night. Accordingly a patrol got up very close; the group stood to and started throwing bombs among the patrol. 2/LIEUTs. HADDOW & CRAIG led a rush but were prevented entering the post owing to wire on their parapet. 2/Lieut HADDOW was wounded in the neck by a bomb and owing to the heavy rifle and bomb fire the objective was not attained. A second drive on the left was arranged and carried out by 2/Lieuts. MARSHALL, YATES and DEMUTH and 15 other ranks. The patrol returned at 5.30 am. The patrol left our outpost system at 10 p.m. They came under heavy M.G. fire and were forced to take cover. It was then decided to attack but gas forced the patrol to return.
The Divl. Commdr wished it to be converyed to all ranks of the patrol his appreciation of the enterprise and determination shown by them and also his regret that they had not better luck.

March 21st 1918 was the start of the German Spring Offensive - Der Kaiserschlacht - further to the south. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Michael

Having a look at Birr (not Burr) Cross Roads Cemetary, I could only find two 13th KRRC entries for around this time, not three:
18th
W J R MYERS Rifleman King's Royal Rifle Corps 13th Bn. A/201285

21st
B J EMBLETON Rifleman King's Royal Rifle Corps 13th Bn. A/205484

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Cessna posted:

When I was in the USMC our tanks had "tac marks" - stenciled numbers painted with black spraypaint - but no star. I think the US Army uses a small black star, but again, it's relatively small and stenciled on with spraypaint.

You're trained to recognize silhouettes and shapes, not to look for opportunities to "shoot the ones with the big red stars."

I'll admit it seems a bit silly - once you're seeing the insignia you've already seen the tank - but the big white stars of WWII seem to be asking for trouble. I can understand using prominent markings to keep "friendly fire" at a minimum, like the white stripes on Soviet tanks in 1945 or the "inverted V" from the 1st Gulf War, but these are generally used when you've got a big advantage anyway.

IIRC for the western allies in particular the primary utility for the markings was to protect against friendly airstrikes-when you've got P-47s and Typhoons loaded with bombs and rockets overhead looking to blast anything that moves, a giant-rear end white star on the engine deck is going to be your best protection against an Unfortunate Incident.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

Eh, there was a lot of feeling in the German army at the time that something has decisively changed at Kursk. Don't forget that the Operation Citadelle part was immediately followed up by a huge series of successful summer offensives by the Red Army (which the Soviets count as part of Kursk but the Germans don't, which is a big part of the disparity in casualty figures). Part of the planning for Kursk was based on the fact that this was likely the last great chance for Germany to seize the strategic initiative in the East, and when it failed that was reflected in the views of the German high command.

In addition it was the first time that a German offensive had failed to acheive an operational breakthrough, which was a huge deal and a massive blow to morale at the time because it was an indication that the Soviets were getting more sophisticated, and it was no longer going to be possible to carry out the kessel encirclements that had been the bread and butter of German campaigns to that point.

It's been a few months since I read Showalter's Armor and Blood, but the big thing I took away from it is that the German high command collectively succumbed to a sort of myopia. By the end of the battle, entire SS armor divisions, which had started out as these lavishly equipped monster units, had turned into batallion-sized or smaller improvised units. Instead of moving on large fronts, those improvised units were only able to attack a single strongpoint, or maybe a closely knit complex of them. At that point the battle was obviously a joke - even if those remnant forces somehow won all their battles, it wouldn't be enough to blow the Soviet defenses wide open and create a battle of annihilation. Nonetheless, the high command was pushing forward, and watching those attacks as though they held the same military significance as a division-scale breakthrough. It was a monstrous delusion, driven by a fear of admitting defeat, and a misplaced confidence in Soviet ineptitude.

Sure, those German troops were some hard-bitten tough bastards, going right into some of the most lavish defenses ever built, and making it work. Their equipment and tactics worked for them. None of that matters because at the strategic level, they were screwing up by the numbers. It's more interesting, to me, to look at the cold-blooded way the USSR was handling the operational level of the battle, carefully rationing out reinforcements to prevent a breakthrough with minimal impact on their plans to take the offensive. Wank over the Tiger and Panther all you want, the Russians had already factored all that stuff into their plan, and knew exactly how to win anyway.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I always feel bad for the frontline units in a defense in depth strategy. Must have been fun motivating them.

“Yeah you’re going to be massively outnumber and inevitably overrun but your job is to be a speed bump for the enemy so that they run out of steam 30 miles behind your position. Any questions?”

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Two amazing things about the battle of Kursk from the German side:

1. They were attacking into 1:2 numerical disadvantage which uh :stare:

2. Even if they made a breakthrough there were 5 whole Soviet armies the Germans didn't know were there, waiting in the rear.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Tomn posted:

Reading the official history of MI5 right now, and it got me curious - does anyone here have any reliable information about how pre-industrial espionage and counter-espionage worked? Even in WW1 it seemed like a complete amateur-hour shitshow, and that was with the benefit of centralized government, a well-developed bureaucracy, and well-organized funding. How did espionage work before that, as far as we know?

How far back do you want to go because there's plenty of examples here such as Jesuits and the protocols outlined in the Arthasastra. Keep in mind the Arthasastra is not nearly as old as it claims, but still pretty old. The idea for a successful spy operation is usually the same though, informants, lots and lots and lots of informants. Several of which exist only to spy on your other spies. Basically, just have everyone snitching on everyone else through an anonymous network that you sit at the center of. This takes no small amount of time and effort in your day, but it's considered worth it to keep you alive and aware of what your neighbors are planning to do.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I always feel bad for the frontline units in a defense in depth strategy. Must have been fun motivating them.

“Yeah you’re going to be massively outnumber and inevitably overrun but your job is to be a speed bump for the enemy so that they run out of steam 30 miles behind your position. Any questions?”

I dunno, it seems to me like the frontline gets chewed the gently caress up by any sort of major offensive and them's were the breaks. I think media and the current American mil-tech hegemony has warped our notion of how many people get churned up in total war.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's always been that for the guys at the front of the line, middle front of the column or the forlorn hope during a siege.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

"Rifle" rather than "fusil"? Get the hell out.

Also, while we're posting memes, check out this sweet, sweet OC:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's not like every part of the frontline will be attacked. And ideally they'll be cycling the troops around so maybe nothing will happen while you are at the front.

It's not as bad as being sent on a recon-in-force.... (aka "run forward knowing nothing about what's ahead trying to make some noise so the bad guys shoot at you") That's gotta be the worst job.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 21, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Boo you guys and not engaging me in discussion about small arms.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Boo you guys and not engaging me in discussion about small arms.

But enough about Kaiser Wilhelm.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fangz posted:

It's not like every part of the frontline will be attacked. And ideally they'll be cycling the troops around so maybe nothing will happen while you are at the front.

It's not as bad as being sent on a recon-in-force.... (aka "run forward knowing nothing about what's ahead trying to make some noise so the bad guys shoot at you") That's gotta be the worst job.

RIF is not what you describe.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The tl;dr is that it varied, a lot.

Cool, thanks. I'm building a tiny M4A3 (76)W and I wanted to do some of the crap you typically see on Shermans, and it got me wondering about it once you see lumber, tank tracks, scavanged armor, and even elaborate sandbag trellises how much of it was morale, and how much of it was really practical.

Geisladisk posted:

This guy is not loving around.

:omarcomin:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
According to Geneva conventions, captured enemy vehicles that have no national insignia can be executed on spot as spies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

According to Geneva conventions, captured enemy vehicles that have no national insignia can be executed on spot as spies.

How thick of a rope do you need to hang a tank?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

Could you crush a tank in one of those machines that turns cars into cubes? Take the ammo out first, obviously

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Gaius Marius posted:

They're executed by firing squad on a testing range, obviously.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
One anti tank gun is given a blank so that it can comfort itself with the uncertainty.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cessna posted:

I think that tank identification by model would have been much less reliable in WW2 than the modern world. Optics were way worse, there were a lot of nations involved which all produced a handful of original tank chassis, and the armies were exclusively conscripted.

Without easily recognizable insignia you would have a lot more instances of, for instance, American troops seeing a British Comet for the first time, panicking, thinking that the mysterious boxy tank is a Tiger, and blue-on-bluing them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

are you seriously suggesting that conscripted combat veterans are worse at war than an unbloodied professional force

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victor Hutchinson's POW Diary

Friday 16th March-Wednesday 21st March, 1945

Spring is here – daffy-down –dilly. March refuses to go out like a lamb. Coming into the home stretch.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you seriously suggesting that conscripted combat veterans are worse at war than an unbloodied professional force

I don't think that this is a matter of "worse at war..."

In peacetime (in the 90's) we spent a lot of time learning about tank recognition. We'd look at pictures of tanks and have to ID them. We did this regularly. Hell, they had flash-cards for training. ("What's this?" "T-64.") After a few years of this you get to know your AFVs. I distinctly remember one class where the instructor called out how to ID a tank based on a feature of a front-view facing tank revealed by the shadow on the ground. ("That's a T-54, not a T-55, look at where the bore evacuator is placed.")

I don't know if wartime conscripts had this level of training. They probably got to know what their own vehicles looked like (obviously, through exposure) and got a crash-course on potential threats, but I doubt that they spend months - years - building the in-depth knowledge.

This is not a matter of "worse at war," but of having the time to develop specialist knowledge.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have no idea how that was what you took away from my post.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If the Sherman got tracked, could they use the improvised track armor to fix the tank?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Geisladisk posted:

I think that tank identification by model would have been much less reliable in WW2 than the modern world. Optics were way worse, there were a lot of nations involved which all produced a handful of original tank chassis, and the armies were exclusively conscripted.

Without easily recognizable insignia you would have a lot more instances of, for instance, American troops seeing a British Comet for the first time, panicking, thinking that the mysterious boxy tank is a Tiger, and blue-on-bluing them.

Tank recognition, as well as aircraft recognition, were both taught. Tank chassis are unique and unknown until they are accurately described by anyone, or an example is captured.

And printing presses werent slow, so dissemination of information on new types could spread somewhat rapidly.

National markings were always a more secondary thing, and seemed to be more important when tanks were still relatively new for people, or when friendly fire incidents were to be minimzed

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

golden bubble posted:

If the Sherman got tracked, could they use the improvised track armor to fix the tank?

Assuming that the crew survived, had the tools, had enough track and track pins, they didnt sink into the ground or otherwise get stuck, and werent getting shot at while doing so? Probably

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cessna posted:

In peacetime (in the 90's) we spent a lot of time learning about tank recognition. We'd look at pictures of tanks and have to ID them. We did this regularly. Hell, they had flash-cards for training. ("What's this?" "T-64.") After a few years of this you get to know your AFVs. I distinctly remember one class where the instructor called out how to ID a tank based on a feature of a front-view facing tank revealed by the shadow on the ground. ("That's a T-54, not a T-55, look at where the bore evacuator is placed.")

I'm curious. . How much time do NATO forces spend learning to identify not-their-own-country NATO armour? I mean, American A-10s shot up British light armour more than once in the Gulf Wars iirc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Comparing reports to actual documentary evidence, tank recognition seemed spectacularly bad, especially on the Eastern Front.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fangz posted:

Comparing reports to actual documentary evidence, tank recognition seemed spectacularly bad, especially on the Eastern Front.

Especially in a conflict in which you didn't already have huge amounts of intel on your opponent. You go to war with Iraq in 2003, you already have a long list of weapons that Iraq has and can train your whole drat army on it if you want to. With WW2, every side was still developing and rolling out radically different equipment as the conflict went on. Your average trooper probably wouldn't see a Tiger for the first time until he saw it broken down on the side of the road.

And then because he can't really tell a Tiger apart from a Panzer IV with a long-barreled gun, he'd probably call every vaguely similar tank he sees "a Tiger" and tell horror stories to war correspondents of how they're just all over the place.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Dmitriy Loza talks about a couple of friendly fire incident in his tank corp which was composed of all foreign vehicles, Matildas, valentines, shermans etc..

quote:

- Did you ever have to fire on our own soldiers or tanks?

- Fellows, anything could happen in war. Such an occurrence took place west of Yukhnov. Our brigade had reached that location and stopped in a forest. A battle was being fought three kilometers in front of us. The Germans had captured a bridgehead across some stream and had begun to expand it. Our corps command ordered the company of Matildas from our neighboring brigade to counterattack the Germans. The Germans had no tanks; the Matildas managed to liquidate the bridgehead, and the Germans retreated across the stream. Now our Matildas were returning from the fight. A bit earlier, fearing a breakthrough by the Germans, our command had moved up and deployed an antitank artillery battalion. They deployed 300 meters in front of us and were digging in. Our artillerymen did not know that our tanks were here, or that they were foreign vehicles. Therefore, having never seen Matildas, they opened fire on them and destroyed three or four tanks. The remaining tanks quickly turned and sought cover. The battalion commander, an artilleryman, ran over to one of the destroyed tanks, looked inside, and there saw our own soldiers. One of them had a chest full of medals. The artilleryman was beside himself.

On another occasion, when 1st and 2nd Ukrainian Fronts linked up in Zvenigorodka and closed the encirclement ring around the Korsun-Shevchenkovskiy pocket, the 5th Army equipped with T-34s approached from the south and our Shermans came in from the north. Our troops on the T-34s had not been warned that there were Shermans in the area, and they shot at the tank of my battalion commander, Nikolay Nikolaevich Malyukov. He died in his tank.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

feedmegin posted:

I'm curious. . How much time do NATO forces spend learning to identify not-their-own-country NATO armour?

Constantly. It was all part of the mix. AMX-30 and VABs, Chieftains and Warriors, Leos and Marders - and Type 90s and 96s, and K-1s and K200s, you name it.

feedmegin posted:

I mean, American A-10s shot up British light armour more than once in the Gulf Wars iirc.

Tank identification is tough when you're roaring along at 400 mph and trying to weave around. You've got maybe a second to ID something..

The one I always felt nervous about was the "Fox" NBC vehicle we picked up a few weeks before the Gulf (I) started. There was one attached to our battalion HQ. I think we were all a bit worried that a plane would mistake it for a BTR:

Cessna fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 22, 2018

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tevery Best posted:

I assumed this was something like "I die for the emperor, I live for memes" at first and tbh I prefer it that way

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cessna posted:

I don't know if wartime conscripts had this level of training. They probably got to know what their own vehicles looked like (obviously, through exposure) and got a crash-course on potential threats, but I doubt that they spend months - years - building the in-depth knowledge.

This is not a matter of "worse at war," but of having the time to develop specialist knowledge.

they also did have flash cards during WWII but your point is taken in that in a standing army you have more hours to devote to such activity, but i'm not sure the results are necessarily superior considering all of the friendly fire incidents in GW1

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tevery Best posted:

"Rifle" rather than "fusil"? Get the hell out.

I do not like these translations. They reek of Google. Especially the Japanese.