Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, not as a leader. even mra's have some standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, not as a leader. even mra's have some standards.

I know this is just poo poo posting, but I cannot view a trump as radically different than Paul Elam but with money

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Doesn't follow the letters of this thread, but I feel it follows the spirit

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/973286757130055684?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/davidsylvia7/status/975751158055735298

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The racism in the official tweet responses is cool for the MHearald

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Burt Sexual posted:

The racism in the official tweet responses is cool for the MHearald

I'm the ex slave-owning cuban families mad about being exiled for owning slaves

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

say hello to senor guillotine

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

deleted?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

it was this one i believe (swiped from trumpgret reddit)

Dixie Cretin Seaman has issued a correction as of 15:31 on Mar 20, 2018

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

I'm crying after throwing up into a toilet and posting on SA because I know no other outlet at 1am for the sadness after watching a gay Trump voter rip into someone over they skin color

We are going to hell

Your friend should attend a Trump rally. Or not, I don't want to hear about what happened to her on the news.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit wrong thread

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jose posted:

what aboutntrump voters too stupid to realise?

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/...genumber%3D2534

https://twitter.com/gavinmuellerphd/status/976178315189944320

Neolibs: "Well we gave tax credits to private schools in economically depressed areas, I guess miners must just be too stupid to live"

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

VitalSigns posted:

"miners must just be too stupid"

this part sounds fairly accurate

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
retraining is a good idea, but teaching middle-aged coal miners how to program is idiotic. there are other fast-growing jobs in the trades that would come a million times more naturally to someone used to heavy machinery. alternately, nursing and related medical jobs take 1-2 years of training, pay very well, and are in high demand thanks to all the demented old ppl. but unlike mythical programmer jobs, these jobs might require leaving your lovely coal factory town and moving someplace better. gov't should also provide help with that aspect if there's demonstrated commitment from the worker.

either way there's also plenty of precedence for the idea that coal miners might be too dumb

2005 op-ed posted:

There has been fierce competition among states hoping to attract a new Toyota assembly plant. Several Southern states reportedly offered financial incentives worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

But last month Toyota decided to put the new plant, which will produce RAV4 mini-S.U.V.'s, in Ontario. Explaining why it passed up financial incentives to choose a U.S. location, the company cited the quality of Ontario's work force.

What made Toyota so sensitive to labor quality issues? Maybe we should discount remarks from the president of the Toronto-based Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association, who claimed that the educational level in the Southern United States was so low that trainers for Japanese plants in Alabama had to use "pictorials" to teach some illiterate workers how to use high-tech equipment.

But there are other reports, some coming from state officials, that confirm his basic point: Japanese auto companies opening plants in the Southern U.S. have been unfavorably surprised by the work force's poor level of training.

Dixie Cretin Seaman has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Mar 21, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Works

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

retraining is a good idea, but teaching middle-aged coal miners how to program is idiotic. there are other fast-growing jobs in the trades that would come a million times more naturally to someone used to heavy machinery. alternately, nursing and related medical jobs take 1-2 years of training, pay very well, and are in high demand thanks to all the demented old ppl. but unlike mythical programmer jobs, these jobs might require leaving your lovely coal factory town and moving someplace better. gov't should also provide help with that aspect if there's demonstrated commitment from the worker.

either way there's also plenty of precedence for the idea that coal miners might be too dumb

Then these retraining programs need to be focusing on functional illiteracy. Bonus points for addressing innumeracy too and training electricians or something.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I love every response to retraining that includes "why dont they just move"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Control Volume posted:

“just move” is good advice for anyone unfortunate enough to exist in west virginia tbf

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
trump voters realizing they're going to be moving to the next plane of existence

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Control Volume posted:

otoh if the mine was the basis of the entire local economy, and now it's gone and there's no reason for a town to exist there, what else can you do? sell your 6-week programming course skills on fiverr?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duscat posted:

otoh if the mine was the basis of the entire local economy, and now it's gone and there's no reason for a town to exist there, what else can you do? sell your 6-week programming course skills on fiverr?

Are you going to give them money to move?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well I guess they could take the other option of moving to a completely new place with no job connections and hope their 6-week electrician course gets them an apprenticeship before drowning in crippling debt.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they'll fail the math portion of the test to become an apprentice.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Control Volume posted:

There are many towns right now that are just economically finished. They were built around a particular industry that just no longer exists or has been outsourced. Like Detroit except a lot smaller and emptier. These towns will never be revived because there's no point. At some point you have to take stock of your situation and understand that there's no choice but leaving for greening pastures.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

all the data mines are in cali

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

There are many towns right now that are just economically finished. They were built around a particular industry that just no longer exists or has been outsourced. Like Detroit except a lot smaller and emptier. These towns will never be revived because there's no point. At some point you have to take stock of your situation and understand that there's no choice but leaving for greening pastures.

Wait so does your advice also apply to the entire city of detroit?

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

it would make more sense than giving them money to stay unemployed and on opioids

i mean, ideally, there'd be programs to encourage these towns to find other reasons to exist, but instead we have programs to close down any hospitals that still operate nearby, so welp

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

hobbesmaster posted:

paying to shut down a dead coal town and move the residents to some suburb might be cheaper than not in the long run. all that narcan doesn't come cheap

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Why dont these gormless hayseeds bootstrap themselves into a successful career in the city?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shut the gently caress up libs retraining failed

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Control Volume posted:

detroit is not at the level of a dead coal town despite the rhetoric. we're talking about towns of a couple thousand ppl in the middle of nowhere that existed solely for coal and are now just a small town with no industry and whose surrounding land has been devalued and poisoned by mining runoff. you can't lure new investment to that, that's why these ppl are so fixated on bringing back coal

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09mVotXmHI

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Control Volume posted:

imho it should apply to the white flight subs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hobbesmaster posted:

yes

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The white flight subs dont have the excuse of not having any job prospects so those neighborhoods should be relocated into lake michigan

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
"gently caress you, move, no we won't help you do it, booooooooooooootstraps" vs "I have a secret plan to give you a job, MAGA"

gee how did Democrats ever lose :iiam:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

imho it should apply to the white flight subs

I hate the suburbs as much as any Detroiter, but the suburbs of Detroit are the political and economic seat of the whole state. I'd prefer those fuckers paying the system they leech off of rather than them move even further out to rustic mansions.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should unincorporate Warren and make them Detroit north.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

VitalSigns posted:

"gently caress you, move, no we won't help you do it, booooooooooooootstraps" vs "I have a secret plan to give you a job, MAGA"

gee how did Democrats ever lose :iiam:

im in favor of generously helping them, bc i'm a bleeding heart like that, but lets be real. "take a government handout so you can leave the only town you've ever known and drastically change your way of life" wouldn't have won many votes with these people either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
hillary wanted to retool those areas to produce solar panels or something iirc