Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

microsoft has unveiled a new kancho arcade controller: https://www.roadtovr.com/microsoft-shows-new-research-haptics-claw-vr-controller-prototype/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the video game sea of thieves releases today and there are live events scheduled at the microsoft stores in my area

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
all the kids you have ever seen playing kinect or minecraft or whatever in the window of a ms store have always been the kids of the managers.

they get paid in first party xbox games and gold memberships lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

all the kids you have ever seen playing kinect or minecraft or whatever in the window of a ms store have always been the kids of the managers.

they get paid in first party xbox games and gold memberships lol

holy poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

for a while I couldn't figure out why my notepad++ files weren't saving and it turns out ms decided my user folder required top secret security and was just silently denying access for months

ms is absolute garbage

congrats on using a lovely program that doesn't honor integrity levels

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

reminder the update after hebdo shooting notepad++ would automatically type je suis charlie into the first document opened when launching it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

reminder the update after hebdo shooting notepad++ would automatically type je suis charlie into the first document opened when launching it

....the gently caress

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

....the gently caress

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/news/hacking-npp-site.html

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

they also complained about the tsunami in Japan getting coverage

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
notepad++ has real bad for years and you should have been using sublime text or vs code

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lomarf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anthonypants posted:

notepad++ has real bad for years and you should have been using sublime text or vs code

yeah. id love to use vs code but i sometimes need to open really heavy text files and vs code is not cut for that

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
When was the last time you tried vs code with a large file? Improvements have been made...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

weren't they hacked by an assad-supporting group for one of these?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fiedler posted:

When was the last time you tried vs code with a large file? Improvements have been made...

a few gigabytes large tsv files my dude, though i havent tried it in a while (i think even before x64 release, ill give them that)

the time i remeber vscode failing me it was a 300 mb csv file

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fiedler posted:

the stable release gets updates monthly and so far they've been mostly positive. the one change i liked the least was when it decided it would turn on git integration and popped up a thing if you didn't have git installed. but it let you turn that off easily, so it wasn't a big deal.

carry on then posted:

weren't they hacked by an assad-supporting group for one of these?
the charlie hebdo blog post linked earlier comments on this and links to an image of what their site looked like

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
can someone help me understand why saying je suis charlie is bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

brap posted:

is this a dogwhistle?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
nope, I’m just a person asking in good faith about something I don’t really have context about

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

brap posted:

nope, I’m just a person asking in good faith about something I don’t really have context about

the actual problem is not "je suis charlie" (which is a shitstorm of its own), its that the update had it automatically type poo poo into your real documents, with no way to control that behaviour, which should be understandably undesirable.

other than that, though, the much spicier take is the tsunami thing. your product page is product page not your personal stream of believes, shut the gently caress up and keep your social ineptitude and lack of non-technical education to yourself

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

brap posted:

despite charlie hebdo's claims of being anti-racist, they liked to publish anti-muslim cartoons

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol @ windows central's logo being a sinking ship version of the windows logo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Last Chance posted:

You see a sinking ship, I see the silhouette of ground zero

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i think it's safe to say that nobody on the visual studio team uses a hidpi monitor. after the latest update the text in the normal editor windows is ok, but the text in the debug panels is microscopic and the controls in some message dialogs (eg the find and replace dialog) are 2x as large as they should be

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol like microsoft is going to buy 4k monitors for employees

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

lol like microsoft is going to buy 4k monitors for contractors

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.

pram posted:

pram posted:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

high dpi mode pasts all unit tests, doesnt break the code. WONTFIX

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Last Chance posted:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Remember Windows RT folks? It's back, in pog form

quote:

Leisurely. Is the only possible word one could use to describe the performance of Windows 10 on ARM today. That the HP Envy x2 user experience suffers as a result is undeniable. So the question is whether this problem is fatal, or whether the platform’s other benefits—stellar battery life and standby, plus seamless connectivity—are good enough to render the performance issues moot.

quote:

For example, the first time I opened the Windows Features control panel, it took about 30 seconds for the window to draw the list of installable system features.

quote:

Writing this post in MarkdownPad is mostly OK from a performance perspective, and the HP’s Surface Pro-like keyboard cover is working well and offering a normal typing experience. But there is the slightest, almost not noticeable delay between the time I press a key and the letter appears on-screen. And when I opened the app’s Options dialog for the first time—which I do to adjust the font sizing—it took so long to appear that I thought I had mis-clicked in the menu. What’s “so long”? 3 or 4 seconds. That’s an infinity when you’re used to the normal instantaneous response time.

lol in 2018 it still can't keep up with typing

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Remember Windows RT folks? It's back, in pog form

lol in 2018 it still can't keep up with typing

tbf the win10 machine at work with office 2013 lagged noticeably in typing in outlook until i turned off some weird graphics acceleration one of the windows settings

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's an honest to goodness cursor delay setting in office 2013

i can't for the life of me imagine why, but it's a thing

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

LastInLine posted:

tbf the win10 machine at work with office 2013 lagged noticeably in typing in outlook until i turned off some weird graphics acceleration one of the windows settings

i think this is the animation they added which has the cursor smoothly glide over to the next letter for some reason. office being office this behaviour is obviously not present in any other part of the os.

presumably some middle manager somewhere thought that it would be a cool feature to make the act of typing words into a document cool and whiz-bang, that was somehow not stopped before it got put into the final product when someone realised that it might be a bit of a waste of time for everyone working in every office, everywhere, to see this animation thousands of times a day

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i'm imagining some manager proclaiming that things can't just appear, they have to ~flow~ because that's more ~natural~

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Generic Monk posted:

i think this is the animation they added which has the cursor smoothly glide over to the next letter for some reason. office being office this behaviour is obviously not present in any other part of the os.

presumably some middle manager somewhere thought that it would be a cool feature to make the act of typing words into a document cool and whiz-bang, that was somehow not stopped before it got put into the final product when someone realised that it might be a bit of a waste of time for everyone working in every office, everywhere, to see this animation thousands of times a day

thats exactly what it was

i know i had to disable that in excel settings because it was literally making me nauseous. i thought i had to do the text thing in the windows settings but it may have been in outlook

why its called hardware acceleration i have no idea why not name it after what it does?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
disabling hardware acceleration may disable that, but that's not specifically the hardware acceleration setting. you can disable the cursor animations without disabling hardware acceleration

although if you have intel video drivers you probably want to disable hardware acceleration anyway because it's broken as poo poo with the IGP drivers

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

disabling hardware acceleration may disable that, but that's not specifically the hardware acceleration setting. you can disable the cursor animations without disabling hardware acceleration

although if you have intel video drivers you probably want to disable hardware acceleration anyway because it's broken as poo poo with the IGP drivers

its a work computer and im not paid to janitor it and its working fine enough as is. it just needs to spreadsheet and email

although if there is a specific cursor animation setting i guess i would be interested in knowing exactly where that is because good christ how did that ever become the default setting in an office program?

honestly i have to say after getting rid of those animations win10 is much nicer than i thought it would be. ofc whatever my company did completely disabled all the tiles and poo poo in the start menu and all of the new style apps so i guess im not seeing most of the poo poo people complain about. im much happier to use it at work but i sure am glad i dont have to know anything about it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

iirc it's not a gui setting, because gently caress you, it's gpo only. in 2013 at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

or not. it's an accessibility setting, because of course it is

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/turn-off-office-animations-9ee5c4d2-d144-4fd2-b670-22cef9fa025a

e: there is of course a reg hack to do it too, but hopefully y'all know better by now