Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Jonny 290 posted:

Every newbie that shows up asks "but why don't you have `domain.ly` considering that your name is literally domainly?"

"Because Libya" is Legal's answer every time.

People are so oblivious about how this whole interwebs work.

FCKGW posted:

what I always find terrifying about Facebook is when those “Facebook is listing to your microphone!” stories pop up. it’s been debunked by multiple security researchers but people still believe it because if you explain that “no, they’re actually just that drat good at mining you and your friends data and habits that they can predict your thoughts when you think them”, they can’t wrap their heads around that level of privacy erosion that they’d rather believe the phones are bugged.

well I vaguely remember that for a good while the FB iOS app had a "bug" that allowed it to retain access to the mic, GPS and other stuff after the user "closed"/switched focus and Apple needed to "gently" remind them of their AppStore ToS and gave them a deadline to patch it out.
So the concern is not totally unfounded, even if it's not the case anymore.
there are some apps that mine mic data from android (might no longer be possible) devices and marketers can include sound patterns not recognizable by the human ear to check if you were exposed to their commercial.
Amazon has also used audio fingerprinting to set up Nielsen like panels without the need to hook up an extra box. they just sent them a phone with an always on mic.

there's also a good chance your smart tv with a built in mic is using it to gather data about your non-smart media usage. Samsung was mining all data like Crazy until they got caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Jimmy Carter posted:

a reminder from earlier this page: the data recorded from the mic is almost certainly more damaging than what the camera can pick up and nobody covers up the mic port

hell, I don't even know where the mic is on this MacBook. maybe under the speaker grill? who the hell knows

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Media Bloodbath posted:

there's also a good chance your smart tv with a built in mic is using it to gather data about your non-smart media usage. Samsung was mining all data like Crazy until they got caught.

find the mic, then point a speaker that constantly plays "whats new pussycat" by tom jones at it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Improbable Lobster posted:

find the mic, then point a speaker that constantly plays "whats new pussycat" by tom jones at it
theres only one tom jones sample that should be constantly played at a microphone and its not "pussycat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPAZvxmLfcQ

FMguru fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 22, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FMguru posted:

theres only one tom jones sample that should be constantly played at a speaker and its not "pussycat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPAZvxmLfcQ

this is the first time that ive noticed goatse in that video :eyepop:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is the first time that ive noticed goatse in that video :eyepop:

whats amazing is youtube has never noticed it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

whats amazing is youtube has never noticed it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
saw a good one the other day :nws:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lol if you reply to posts but the thing that makes social network profiling insidious is that your grocery reward program doesn't know you use racial slurs in your private messages but facebook does and will gladly sell that information to people with a remarkably low barrier to entry

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i wonder if i can make my safeway rewards profile a racial slur somehow

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i wonder if i can make my safeway rewards profile a racial slur somehow

I'm sure you could

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i sexually harass anyone looking at my location data with the length and girth of my route when plotted on a map.

Edit

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

hell, I don't even know where the mic is on this MacBook. maybe under the speaker grill? who the hell knows

under the grille, the two dots on the side near the other ports, or the dot by the camera, depending on which model you have.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 21, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/20/linkedin-video-filters/ lol

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
do they choose food adevertisements based on the volume of my farts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Have any facebook defenders logged on ITT yet?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jonny 290 posted:

our algorithms aren't racist, but

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Tangential but I found this guy

Tumble posted:

well there is only one death, so the statistics still get safer as time goes on. Plus, those statistics probably include tractor-trailer trucks which average way more miles per death than regular cars driven by non-commercial drivers. If you were to focus on miles-per-death in the areas that Uber will be operating first, like urban/suburban areas (where there are far more people out walking around) then I bet you'd find that already self-driving cars are quite safe even with their 1 single fatality.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Here's my problem with self driving cars

if youre not in one, and you're not on this light rail, im laughing
if you're in one, you're obviously not on this train, and im still laughing

GET THE gently caress OUT OF YOUR lovely CUCKCAN AND GET ON THIS 182,000 POUND DEATHTANK THAT HAS ITS OWN DEDICATED PATHWAY

mass transit owns

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Here's my problem with self driving cars

if youre not in one, and you're not on this light rail, im laughing
if you're in one, you're obviously not on this train, and im still laughing

GET THE gently caress OUT OF YOUR lovely CUCKCAN AND GET ON THIS 182,000 POUND DEATHTANK THAT HAS ITS OWN DEDICATED PATHWAY

mass transit owns

I'm on light rail right now actually!!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jonny 290 posted:

cremnob has been posting some hot takes on twitter but that’s about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

i can pay $5.20 and ride 95% of the interesting denver transit, both bus and rail, for 24 hours

slap down your fiver and you can just cruise downtown, get drunk, bus out to a dispensary and then slump home in a cushy huge light rail seat
no lost cars, no DUIs, its so good

its the best

i meet cool people on there too, if anybody wants to chat i have a nice convo (otherwise i respectfully leave them alone!)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

getting railed lightly?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
video of the car crash is out and nope the car didn't try to brake at all despite a human in plain sight

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/976587029390663680

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Suspicious Dish posted:

video of the car crash is out and nope the car didn't try to brake at all despite a human in plain sight

theyre so lucky they have video footage of the human driver reflexively grabbing the wheel just before impact. They're clean

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
btw if anybody thinks that the reason taht this video surfaced is for anything but exoneration of uber's dorkcoders, i have a bridge to sell u

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

as we all know radar doesn’t work in the dark and therefore

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so the car can only see what it headlights are illuminating?

great job guys

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
turns out "move fast and break things" isn't a good plan when you're talking about things with real consequences instead of fart apps

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

headlights in modern cars are so loving awful

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
pretty sure id hit them too, tbh there's basically a quarter second of visibility

how much of that is the contrast of the recording though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah theres not really much debate that a human would have hit them but the car's supposed to have sensors to prevent it. forward collision sensors aren't even a self driving car thing.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Bhodi posted:

pretty sure id hit them too, tbh there's basically a quarter second of visibility

how much of that is the contrast of the recording though

you don't have 360 degree lidar and radar though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bhodi posted:

you're outdriving your headlights. fix that (there are two solutions)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

you don't have 360 degree lidar and radar though

woah woah woah let’s not make careless assumptions here

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
maybe we should mandate spinning blades on the front of all autos to at least make it a clean kill

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i literally stopped hammering the accelerator on my v8 bmw because i stupidly raced a person on an supposedly-abandoned road in arkansas and just so happens a cyclist was using it that day. there is nothing like driving 3800 pounds of steel at 105ish mph less than 3 feet from a bicyclist to put the loving fear of god in you, and now i drive like a goddamn grandpa and there's nothing you can do about it. it still gives chills on the back of my neck thinking about that moment i came over the hill

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The camera is being washed out by the streetlights shining directly at it. A human driver (who knows that the road is what it needs to pay attention to, not the streetlights themselves) can see a lot more of the road than you can see in the video. An attentive human driver would absolutely have seen the lady in time to avoid the collision.

(Not to mention the fact that lidar absolutely did see her regardless of lighting levels, and the computer chose to ignore it)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

yeah theres not really much debate that a human would have hit them but the car's supposed to have sensors to prevent it. forward collision sensors aren't even a self driving car thing.

a human would have also hit the brakes

like that's probably the most damning thing imo, not that it hit a woman in an "unavoidable" situation or w/e but that it didn't even detect the woman, even after the human in the car obviously did

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yall know that stupid thing ppl do when theyre right behind you in stop and go traffic and they think a panic stop is coming up and they at least swerve right onto the side or whatever? Stupid auto cuckcar isnt even that smart. Brain genious of the roads. Literal loving donald trump on the highways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
and it'd still probably kill less people than humans do

cars are a disease

kinda a shame you had to brush death to slow down, we should hire stunt men to dive in front of student drivers and get that poo poo in early because every single person needs to touch the hot stove, humanity is awful that way