Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

canyoneer posted:

Agreed.
If you take an average skilled player, they're going to win a lot more games with 4x wookies than they would with 4x scouts.

But average skilled players don't create metas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Of course they do. There are probably plenty more degenerate lists out there that don't see play because they're too hard for an average player. Easy to fly and win makes the meta lists propagate. As I predicted, looking at last weekend's results, Ghost Fenn was a bit of a flash in the pan, and the average players running them have been largely dismantled by a few tweaks to existing meta staples.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Wasn't there a guy a few months ago who won a big tournament with 4 wookies who had only started playing the game 2 or 3 weeks earlier?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

canyoneer posted:

Agreed.
If you take an average skilled player, they're going to win a lot more games with 4x wookies than they would with 4x scouts.

There are already 3 people going to the NSW regional this weekend trying to buy used J5Ks. That just what I can see. Pretty sure Jostero/Nym/Torani would eat that list alive.

I will be very happy to face someone who has only had a couple of days to practice flying 4 J5Ks.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Seems like the jump list is really only possible now that Dash/Poe has been pushed out of general meta by Ghost Fenn.

Raged, I'd probably say that 4 jumps are a strong match up vs your list. Low agility, arced ships with few passive mods, seems like it'd be an uphill battle for you. if your alpha doesn't go off perfectly then it's easy for them to cycle injured ships out.

OTOH 4 jumps looks like a brute force list, but it's much more of a finesse list. You gotta be able to read the movements on the map a few turns ahead and plan accordingly. People jumping on the list a week before the regional are unlikely to be able to play the list to its strengths.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 20, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've run triple bumpmasters before and it's super finesse-y.

And, on the topic of Ghost/Fenn, the problem isn't that it's unbeatable. It's not. The problem is that it's so goddamned efficient that it pushes a disproportionate number of lists out of the meta. It also runs on autopilot, more so than /x7 or palp or Dengaroo or anything that was nerfed in the massacre FAQ last year, where all of those were changed because there were no meaningful decisions or counterplays.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What lists/ships are getting pushed out of the meta that werent already garbage...or that arent also pushed out by harpoon spam or Fenn/Lowrick/X or Rey/Lowrich..or...or

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Miranda Nym :v

I don't think it's fair to single out Ghost Fenn though. 3/4 wookies is just as annoying, as is the latest Ego iteration. I think it's just that Ghost "feels" worse but honestly Miranda/Low/Ezra is more degenerate (infinite bombs and regen yay).

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 20, 2018

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

Raged, I'd probably say that 4 jumps are a strong match up vs your list. Low agility, arced ships with few passive mods, seems like it'd be an uphill battle for you. if your alpha doesn't go off perfectly then it's easy for them to cycle injured ships out.

I agree it would be a tough matchup against a competent player, but the people running it at this weekends regional will only have a couple of days practice at best. Without practice, those 4 J5Ks are going to be bumping into each other more than their opponent. Unless I screw the pooch or the dice gods really hate me I will kill one the first turn of combat and if the dice gods and mods fall in my favour I will have the shields of a second gone or nearly gone.

Of course, I will screw it up.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Still playing around with Rho Boats. I got clobbered last night due to very bad positioning on my part. I'm also not sold on QD, and I really don't think tooled up gunboats are going to get to use all those missiles before they get killed. I'm thinking of going with this instead:

99 points

PILOTS

Rho Squadron Veteran (28) x 2
Alpha-class Star Wing (21), Deadeye (1), Extra Munitions (2), Harpoon Missiles (4), Guidance Chips (0)

Test Pilot “Blackout” (43)
TIE Silencer (31), First Order Vanguard (2), Push the Limit (3), Advanced Sensors (3), Advanced Optics (2), Autothrusters (2)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/789817/alpha-strike-2

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Went poking around FFg forums for homebrew, found this mountain of salt

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I really don't understand the hate for "power creep."

Starting in Wave 8 (and I could make a case for Wave 7 with TLT/K-Wing), the design paradigms of X-Wing changed. What most people see as power creep I see as an inevitable evolution of a game that, while robust, had a surprisingly limited design space.

There's only so much you can add to the game when there are so few "valid" values for various stats. When every ship can only have 2-3 attack dice (with 4 being almost broken and heavily restricted), when every ship only has three possible agility values, when every ship falls within a specific range of health, when every ship only has so many maneuvers available...you run out of "new" things you can do. Ditto dice mods; only so many things you can to do dice that have three possible values.

Wave 8 is when the designers started to push out of that space. Whether accidentally or on purpose, ships like the Jumpmaster redefined what a ship could do at a given point cost. This instantly put it on a level above other ships.

Since that time, every wave has had multiple ships and upgrades that are tuned towards THAT level of ability, not the level of ability established early in the game. This results in cards that are just flat-out better than the closest previous equivalent. Wookiees are better than B-Wings. Gunboats are better than Bombers. Harpoons are better than other missiles. Rey (crew) is better than Moldy Crow. Shadowcasters are better than Firesprays. Protectorate Starfighters are better than Kihraxzes.

The list goes on.

And yet those new cards, which are almost universally better than their old counterparts, are almost universally competitive with each other. Exceptions obviously exist, but the trend is equally obvious.

At this point the "fix" for power creep is to bring the old ships up to the new level in the expanded design space, rather than the other way around. That or release an X-Wing 2.0.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

At this point the "fix" for power creep is to bring the old ships up to the new level in the expanded design space, rather than the other way around. That or release an X-Wing 2.0.

I expect that's what most people really want. I don't care that new things are really good, I care that older stuff is mostly worthless (with a few exceptions). The not-Biggs T-65 has been benched from competitive play for 80% of this game's lifespan.

I can see why people pine for the good old days, because some of the new mechanics suuuuuuck (autodamage, infinite bombs, hyper accurate turrets and ordnance)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Off topic but goddamn Bo Shek was a handsome devil, give that man a cigarette and a Star Wars Story.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So what are people doing to counter Ghost/Fenn hijinks? That 4 TLT shots per round is just obnoxious.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Funzo posted:

So what are people doing to counter Ghost/Fenn hijinks? That 4 TLT shots per round is just obnoxious.

Expertise and other actionless dice modification. Having 4+ ships with 3+ die attacks and a decent health pool. A way to get 2-3 evade results against every shot, reliably.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Funzo posted:

Kill Fenn in 1-3 shots, then use anything over PS 3 to out maneuver the Ghost. Seriously, take Fenn out of the battle, and the Ghost isn't that bad (unless you get that 5 dice, range 1 shot on you, then that sucks). I feel like so many people go for the Ghost first, which is the wrong thing.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Lots of stuff works to reduce the effectiveness of the Lothal/Fenn list: Autothrusters, using M9-G8 defensively, Rex's ability. And yeah, killing Fenn first should be the goal.

When I run Lothal Fenn, I tend to send the Ghost in a round before Fenn and I'm fine with it losing some shields. It's crazy how many times people will then spend the next few rounds continuing to go after the Ghost, even though Fenn is in range, because spreading out damage is usually not what you want to do. But now Fenn is HotCop'ing focus tokens and using his ability to cut their offense.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm looking to sell my collection, if anyone is interested. I got into the game briefly but its been siting in my closet ever sense.

These are all opened and played with like twice, all of this fits into the original box nicely, with original plastic 'case' shells still with each ship-- everything in mint condition with all cards and stuff.
- Original starter box
- Extra dice
- Y-wing expansion
- X-wing expansion
- TIE fighter expansion
- TIE Interceptor expansion

$70 shipped for the above?

Others, still sealed:
- TIE advanced expansion $10
- Original starter box $20
- Force Awakens starter box $20

I can make a separate SA-Mart thread if requested.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone catch that minefield fortress game on the Canadian stream a couple of days ago? Never seen it before so it was very interesting.

Looks like an absolute nightmare to play against though.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

That sounds cool. Do you have a link?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I think a couple people at my FLGS are miffed at me. I don't play epic and am not interested in it at all and they held a 500 pt Epic tournament and they were unhappy I did not want to play. I didn't bag out anyone for playing. I just said it's not my thing, but if people like it then I hope they have a good time (not sarcastically)

Now they want to have a tournament between 3 towns within a hours drive. That sounds fun to me, but they want to run scenarios and that is not something I am into. Not at all. I politely decline and now I am getting "why aren't you a team player?" even from the store owner. Which is honestly kind of a slap in the face. Before I started playing none one at the shop had won more than 1 game at a big tournament. After I dove face first into X-Wing last year and really dug into the meta and mechanics and helped the other players with lists and drilled them on how to fly competitively we have had people go 4-2 and a few wins at smaller tournaments. Heck, the running joke used to be that if you want an easy tournament win you come to our town now it's a much different story.

We have a group of 5-6 going to a regional this weekend and except for one list, every list is one I built or picked out for a player to fit their style. I have also spent a bunch of time teaching them how to fly it properly when I could have spent time on vassal playing against lists I need to practice against.

Baahhhh sorry for the rant. Just really insulted.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Raged posted:

I think a couple people at my FLGS are miffed at me. I don't play epic and am not interested in it at all and they held a 500 pt Epic tournament and they were unhappy I did not want to play. I didn't bag out anyone for playing. I just said it's not my thing, but if people like it then I hope they have a good time (not sarcastically)

Now they want to have a tournament between 3 towns within a hours drive. That sounds fun to me, but they want to run scenarios and that is not something I am into. Not at all. I politely decline and now I am getting "why aren't you a team player?" even from the store owner. Which is honestly kind of a slap in the face. Before I started playing none one at the shop had won more than 1 game at a big tournament. After I dove face first into X-Wing last year and really dug into the meta and mechanics and helped the other players with lists and drilled them on how to fly competitively we have had people go 4-2 and a few wins at smaller tournaments. Heck, the running joke used to be that if you want an easy tournament win you come to our town now it's a much different story.

We have a group of 5-6 going to a regional this weekend and except for one list, every list is one I built or picked out for a player to fit their style. I have also spent a bunch of time teaching them how to fly it properly when I could have spent time on vassal playing against lists I need to practice against.

drat dude, gently caress those guys. I'm lucky, I started playing with some people who were pretty keen to get good at the game and now we are known as the store to come to if you want to get crushed and try to git gud. Ignore them, keep building up the competitive community if that's what you're into especially because it seems like you have a number of guys who are into it with you.

e: Good luck on the weekend too. Beat the Foss brothers for me will you.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Good luck on the weekend too. Beat the Foss brothers for me will you.

Would love too. I could go 1-5 and If I beat Travis or Jaren I would feel like I accomplished something. The most likely outcome is just having a beer with them at dinner after getting whooped. They are ridiculously good at the game, but they are friendly as hell and willing to teach.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

uncle blog posted:

That sounds cool. Do you have a link?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/239765049 First game here.

Raged posted:

I mean it's a good thing people want you involved though.

Haha, in the Canadian Nationals the players forgot a harpoon on QD that would have killed him and someone rang one of them up to tell them but they seem to be playing on with QD still alive, people don't seem happy about that one.

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 21, 2018

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Funzo posted:

Seconding on killing Fenn first. I am trying to make the Kanan/synced turret version work and once Kanan looses that coordinate boost action, an opponent can just dance at range 3 and plink away at Kanan. If it is the TLT version, just get in its face at range 1 and murder it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Raged posted:

Don't be insulted. It's just games involving plastic spaceships. If anything it's coming across as them just really wanting you included because you're an important part of their group and competitive gaming experience thus far.

If you don't want in, politely decline every time it comes up and joke with them about how everyone is giving you a hard time about that bullshit.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CODChimera posted:

Haha, in the Canadian Nationals the players forgot a harpoon on QD that would have killed him and someone rang one of them up to tell them but they seem to be playing on with QD still alive, people don't seem happy about that one.

Not just anyone called them in the middle of the game but the one and only Paul Heaver lol

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CODChimera posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/239765049 First game here.

I mean it's a good thing people want you involved though.

This list owns haha I love it.

That someone who called in was Paul Heaver, three-time X-Wing World Champion.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

lazerus06 posted:

Seconding on killing Fenn first. I am trying to make the Kanan/synced turret version work and once Kanan looses that coordinate boost action, an opponent can just dance at range 3 and plink away at Kanan. If it is the TLT version, just get in its face at range 1 and murder it.

What are you putting on Kanan? My synched turret version is Tactician and Recon Spec, along with FCS and Engine Upgrade. I think you have to kill ships like Dash while Fenn is still alive, otherwise yeah they'll just stay at r3. Double stressing with Tactician or triple stressing with Tactician and R3-A2 can also give you a couple rounds to finish them off without Fenn.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

canyonero posted:

What are you putting on Kanan? My synched turret version is Tactician and Recon Spec, along with FCS and Engine Upgrade. I think you have to kill ships like Dash while Fenn is still alive, otherwise yeah they'll just stay at r3. Double stressing with Tactician or triple stressing with Tactician and R3-A2 can also give you a couple rounds to finish them off without Fenn.

I am using recon spec/rey with EU, FCS and synched turret. I use the stressbot on Fenn.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Would love it for someone to print this out and use it in game.

"Uh actually, unless three time world champion Paul loving Heaver is on the phone...."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haha I just watched that Minefield Mapper Skurrg list on my lunch break, and I think I'm in love. It looked awesome on paper and it's even better in action. That poo poo is janky as gently caress.

It's got some real weaknesses (just melts to mass TLT spam), but it's solid.

Only thing I'd reconsider is changing Debris Gambit on Nym for something else.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Jake with Intensity goes: Focus, free boost or roll, free focus or evade, correct? Not sure if it's worth it without PtL, and probably isn't worth it at all.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Jake with Intensity goes: Focus, free boost or roll, free focus or evade, correct? Not sure if it's worth it without PtL, and probably isn't worth it at all.

You missed something. Focus, free boost/barrel roll, free focus, free barrel roll/boost.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

You missed something. Focus, free boost/barrel roll, free focus, free barrel roll/boost.

Right, yes that. VI does look better then.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is the Plano case in the OP still the zeitgeist opinion on storage? I received a free Plano 5231 from a local collection-buyer-reseller dude and it's sufficed nicely, but it's at its storage limit for expansions. Specifically, under no circumstances will it fit a large base.

I carry each expansion in the ziploc bag that came with it, I use the upper clear part to house ships + their base cardboard parts + their pegs, as well as extra tokens. The top row holds dials and dice. The bottom red part holds everything else, including outsize ships that won't fit in the top cells (XG-1s, TIEs, and now IG-2000s).

My locals are not far from where I work in Manhattan, so I'd really like to upgrade to some kind of storage that has a shoulder strap or just a good-sized handle to make commute schlepping a little easier. The 5231's handle is a molded part of the bottom half, so it's a bit awkward on PATH.

I don't mind a solution where each ship has its little cell like mine - plastic is fine, foam is acceptable but not necessary. Looking to keep it below $40ish if I can.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This is what I use.

https://smile.amazon.com/Plano-1374...3KSZPTM7EVDT1AE

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I use these from Harbor Freight, plus the MicroHangers for the ships. I have my entire collection, plus all dials, pilot board things, bases, and tokens in 3 (2 normal, 1 tall) and still have room to spare.

https://www.harborfreight.com/19-bin-portable-parts-storage-case-93928.html

http://sirwillibald.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'll second the sirwillibald microhangars but doing that much arts and crafts isn't everybody's cup of tea.

I store 'em in these snapware stackable carryable containers (or something close to that specific size anyway, look around your local craft stores)--you can add more as your collection grows. Mine's six trays tall now and is admittedly pushing the bounds of what the top handle will hold, structurally--but I also don't need to move my WHOLE collection to the FLGS every time I go. Most of the weight is in the cards, so if you split off just the ships and tokens it's only like 3 trays tall and much more movable.

I also use a crafting bead storage thingy with a ton of little wells to store all the tokens I've ever got.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 22, 2018

• Locked thread