Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TheParadigm posted:

I am not a lawyer, but in this situation, here's what I'd recommend:

Make sure your grievances get recorded by HR, and then file for unemployment if they fire you. Subpeona the feedback as part of the process and/or demand a copy for your own personal records. During said legal proceedings, it becomes part of the public record.

This sounds like a huge problem. Sorry you have to go through it.

I'm really hoping I can transfer to that other department before Overseer gets his wish. I don't even have any good words to add to it beyond that. At least literally everyone but Overseer and his boss sees how bad he is. His boss only seems to side with him because he's technically correct, which is usually the best kind of correct, but there's just so many little "ah hah! Gotcha!" moments that he's hit me with in the last 6 months that even if they do fire me, yeah, I'll make their lives a living hell as much as I can from a legal perspective, but I'd just be relieved to not be under a microscope anymore. I'm just so numb to it all now that it takes all my effort just to get out of bed in the mornings these days. Weekends aren't even fun anymore. Friday's great, Saturday's usually ok, but Sunday's just hell, because I know from the moment I wake up that the next day, I'll be back at work.

I originally heard it as a comedy thing, but it really means a whole different thing now to me to hear stuff like "thank god it's Friday". Like, you hate 5/7ths of your life so much that all you can do is try to push through it till the weekend, where you can just try to have some iota of something resembling fun and happiness again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bring a voice recorder, or find a recording app for your phone. Check your state law to see if you have to make other participants aware that you're recording. Most of the time you don't as long as you're one of the parties in the conversation being recorded.

Just another CYA thing.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

My work really, really likes Google Docs. And I understand why, real time shared editing is very useful for our environment. Things that are not useful and that really piss me off, however, include:
  • Not being able to change the scale of an axis on a chart.
  • Not being able to "Keep with Next" so a table stays on one page.
  • Not being able to un-italicize or otherwise change font in the equation editor.
  • No sensible means of adding captions.
  • lovely cross-referencing in general.
I'm working on SOPs that could use most of these things and I don't understand why Docs is so lovely at this. I was cheating and using Word and copy/pasting the end result, but then my boss is grumpy that he can't see the entire version history. :negative:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Doesn’t really help you, but office 365 supports live multi user editing in desktop applications now.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

The Fool posted:

Doesn’t really help you, but office 365 supports live multi user editing in desktop applications now.

Huh! Somehow I didn't know that. Might be worth bringing up since I know we have Office as well. Thank you!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm really hoping I can transfer to that other department before Overseer gets his wish. I don't even have any good words to add to it beyond that. At least literally everyone but Overseer and his boss sees how bad he is. His boss only seems to side with him because he's technically correct, which is usually the best kind of correct, but there's just so many little "ah hah! Gotcha!" moments that he's hit me with in the last 6 months that even if they do fire me, yeah, I'll make their lives a living hell as much as I can from a legal perspective, but I'd just be relieved to not be under a microscope anymore. I'm just so numb to it all now that it takes all my effort just to get out of bed in the mornings these days. Weekends aren't even fun anymore. Friday's great, Saturday's usually ok, but Sunday's just hell, because I know from the moment I wake up that the next day, I'll be back at work.

I originally heard it as a comedy thing, but it really means a whole different thing now to me to hear stuff like "thank god it's Friday". Like, you hate 5/7ths of your life so much that all you can do is try to push through it till the weekend, where you can just try to have some iota of something resembling fun and happiness again.

The way you describe your mental state sounds a lot like me in my final months at my last job. Shockingly, I also had a boss that clearly considered me the enemy, came down on me over technicalities, and was obviously, laughably concerned with exercising power over anybody he could. He once wrote me up for being on time (we had a punch clock that salaried employees had to use), because while I punched in at 8:30, I wasn't technically at my desk until 90 seconds later. This was a programming position, I wasn't leaving a shift uncovered, and I was not late for the 9:00 morning meeting or anything.

He also ran a security audit on me once, to prove that for that week, I was a whole 6 minutes under 40 hours. A security audit - you know, when security guards scan through an entire week's worth of security camera tapes, looking for one person, and record all movements of that person - when they arrived and left, when they went to lunch and took breaks, basically any time they went through a doorway. Never mind that this process probably took longer than 6 minutes, or even three times that, making it more costly than the 6 entire minutes that I "stole" from the company; this was almost certainly an abuse of his position, since he didn't have any reason to suspect any security violations on my part. He just wanted to press his thumb down on me a little harder, let me know he was in charge.

Being under someone like that for any length of time is incredibly toxic and damages your health more than you probably realize. The day I quit that hellhole was so glorious; I hope you can get out of there soon.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ah, yeah, during my review, Overseer told me that between October and early March, the amount of time i was late added up to a full day of work. Again, nevermind the amount off time i stayed late. Anyway, here i go. This is going to be the longest work day of my life.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

Ah, yeah, during my review, Overseer told me that between October and early March, the amount of time i was late added up to a full day of work. Again, nevermind the amount off time i stayed late. Anyway, here i go. This is going to be the longest work day of my life.

Good luck!

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Che Delilas posted:

Being under someone like that for any length of time is incredibly toxic and damages your health more than you probably realize. The day I quit that hellhole was so glorious; I hope you can get out of there soon.

Another story from my current job. Manager gave us the old "computers are to be turned off at the end of each shift" which is fine.
But the reason we leave them on is it takes time to login to all our tools, network devices, ticketing systems, email.

I did it because, who cares and I'm usually at work early anyway, I leave a good window to account for traffic and I generally like to settle in.

Then at the same time because other people arrive without time to do this dropped the "you are required to be ready to work at your start time" , which I was doing anyway. But gently caress you.
For two weeks I'd hang out in the kitchen or play on my phone until my exact start time, and then start my computer.

Eventually after a few attempts and questions about what the gently caress I was doing, it started to get formal. At which point I pulled out a bunch of examples, cases where other employers tried this poo poo and proved "prep time is paid time" According to Australian law. And *poof* like that my manager and wider company lost interest in the whole issue.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh cool we had a little spate of :yotj: there but now we're back to stories of dysfunction and depression? Because I've got one!

The last 2 weeks have been a loving trip, let me tell you. First a brief history: We moved the office from two floors to one about a year and a half ago and the process was loving terrible and I pretty much checked out of the job because we were tasked with making hundreds of patch cables by hand and literally moving the same pile of literal trash between the same three areas multiple times per week. Led to a very contentious mid-year review that year where I told my manager and the SVP that I was just going to look for a new job because clearly this wasn't working out. The SVP actually talked me off the ledge and brokered a kind of reset with my manager and ever since then it's been smooth sailing, I got a promotion to System Admin and a raise to go with it last year, etc.

So back to current events. Our self-evals were done earlier this year and my manager told me and my coworker to rate ourselves highly because we've been doing a great job (that's pretty much a direct quote.) I had my review two weeks ago and was told that my performance bonus was approved in full, told to keep up the good work and given a handshake. Then it gets announced that our company is being bought. Last week my manager pulls me into an office and informs me that at his review the CTO told him that I don't do any work and apparently has an entire log of incidents where I refused to help people. This is loving baffling to me because I assume the CTO had to approve my bonus (it goes me > manager > CTO.) It's also baffling because we're a three-man department and I've closed over 58% of all tickets that have been opened since I started working here. My coworker has said he doesn't know how he'd get things done without me.

The only specific information I was given was that I "watch baseball all the time instead of working" which loving there hasn't been a baseball game on during business hours for 6 loving months and I've watched a grand total of maybe 2 spring training innings during my lunch breaks. I do watch games during the season sometimes when they're on during the day but I have 2 monitors and I have never, ever blown somebody/something off because of it. This is a technology company, the idea that I have to sit actively what...typing into a command prompt 8 hours a day is lunacy. Sales has a TV that plays ESPN all day every day and if something happens to it we get tasked with loving priority tickets to get it back up and running.

More importantly about this though is that nobody loving said anything about it for a year?! I have apparently "done everything except work" for a full loving year without a warning, without a disciplinary write-up, without going on a PIP, without being fired? What the gently caress is this poo poo.

As if that wasn't enough, our manager informed us that the sales director has told the C-suite that our entire department is too toxic and we should be cut loose in the buyout. Which loving fine, I understand that IT is almost always redundant in these situations and the buyer gets discretion, that's business. But when they downsized an entire department they thanked them all for the work they did and gave them a severance package and I feel like I'm getting loving railroaded out of here for bullshit reasons that are backed up by not a single loving iota of any backing evidence.

I loving hate job searches. I like this job, I like the people I work with, I'm pretty decent at it, and the people here like working with me from every single interaction I've had. Why the gently caress can't I just keep doing it. gently caress.

I asked my manager if I could schedule a meeting with the CTO to discuss what he told my manager, just to be polite because I didn't want to just go in and say "Well so-and-so said you said this..." and he told me not to do it and we'd have a department meeting about how to rehab our image. Which ended up being do nothing different but we'll run a report on tickets in a month? Add to that me putting in a couple of PTO requests and being told that PTO approval was being put on hold by him to make sure there was no "abuse" happening, which I asked for clarification on and pretty much also got nothing back. Should I just unilaterally go talk to the CTO?

(Also joke's on them I already have plane tickets for one of the PTO periods I requested so I'm sure as gently caress not gonna be in the office.)

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 21, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who was it in this thread that had an Avaya system put in for their call center and couldn't get any useful reporting out of it? I finally managed to download the DevLink 3 documentation and code examples so PM me and I can get them to you, if you still care.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You probably didn't acknowledge him properly one time in the hall and he decided you're scum of the earth and need to be removed because he's an insecure piece of poo poo who's been given a little bit of power.

Or maybe his wife's banging the landscaper and he's lashing out.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Smells like the manager figures the only way to save his job is to cut the entire department underneath him. He bought the biggest bus he could find and claimed the driver seat.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Smells like the manager figures the only way to save his job is to cut the entire department underneath him. He bought the biggest bus he could find and claimed the driver seat.

Even glory-hounding doesn't make sense at this point, for reasons I've thought better of keeping in a public post right now.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 21, 2018

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Good luck man, I hope you :yotj: out of that role soon!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Huge steaming pile of crap.

They don't want to pay you a bonus, and are looking to fire you so they don't have to pay severance.

:yotj: time, as you said :)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Steakandchips posted:

They don't want to pay you a bonus, and are looking to fire you so they don't have to pay severance.

:yotj: time, as you said :)

They already gave me the bonus. None of the usual underhanded money-saving stuff applies to this which is part of why I'm so baffled.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 21, 2018

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Good luck man.

Also, it sounds like you're gonna need it. IF this manager is nagging you and only you, or to the point where other people in the company are surprised and not getting the priviledge, isn't that textbook harassment?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Did you guys know that sometimes computers behave in ways you don't expect?

Our appops team was having an issue with a server. I fixed the issue. netsh http add urlacl to the rescue.

I am now being stalked by that member of appops who won't let it drop that those url reservations should have already been there and it shouldn't have been necessary to add those, what could be wrong with the server?

Dude. A thing wasn't there. I put a thing there. The thing does the thing now. How is this a topic? Move on with your loving life, kid.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Inspector_666 posted:

I asked my manager if I could schedule a meeting with the CTO to discuss what he told my manager, just to be polite because I didn't want to just go in and say "Well so-and-so said you said this..." and he told me not to do it and we'd have a department meeting about how to rehab our image.

gently caress "our" image. You have been directly accused of doing x y z.
Don't let poo poo like that fester. Meet and defend or it becomes context to gently caress you over with later for poor performance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am now being stalked by that member of appops who won't let it drop that those url reservations should have already been there and it shouldn't have been necessary to add those, what could be wrong with the server?

Do they use configuration management? Because if they don't, if a thing wasn't there it's guaranteed someone forgot to do it.

People who configure services manually need to die.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Who was it in this thread that had an Avaya system put in for their call center and couldn't get any useful reporting out of it? I finally managed to download the DevLink 3 documentation and code examples so PM me and I can get them to you, if you still care.

Oh hey thanks for thinking of us! Company finally decided to spend a whopping 6000 on an actual supported tool instead of trying to roll our own! Also the yearly support cost is seriously loving peanuts, I think with our base purchase we get 2 years of support and after that it's like 1000 a year lol, drop in the bucket.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
loving windows permissions.

I migrated a file server to a windows domain using ADMT and of course if hosed up all kinds of poo poo, so I ended up removing it from the domain and added it to a work group, which killed all domain permissions. I then added it to the new domain, and now permissions are all hosed up.

What's pissing me off is that domain admins that are members of server\Administrators with full access at the root level and all subordinate objects don't actually have access.

I have user1@newdomain as a member of newdomain\Domain Admins and newdomain\Domain Admins is a member of server\Administrators and server\Administrators has full access to the root of both data volumes.

What in the everloving gently caress?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What does the effective access thing say on the files/directories that are having issues? It should tell you where the permission is coming from.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

What does the effective access thing say on the files/directories that are having issues? It should tell you where the permission is coming from.

It says full access. But all I can create are folders.

keseph posted:

Legitimately curious how local response caching is not good enough, if you're up for sharing.

wolrah posted:

As with keseph I'm curious how local caching didn't negate the difference after a single pass

Their problem was the cumulative delay as a new node joined and performed a lookup for each of the other nodes was deemed an unacceptable performance hit. I think it was a cumulative effect of using DHCP Options Sets within a VPC that had incorrect settings for the cassandra ring and the perceived performance impact of DNS queries. Personally I think it might be a holdover from early Hadoop times and the cargo cult mentality of some greybeards, but I can't be bothered to set up a large cassandra ring myself to check one way or another.

:effort:

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 21, 2018

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Agrikk posted:

Is inheritance actually enabled?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Yup.

But even if it wasn't, then I'd be able to create new files on the root of the drive but nowhere else .

Fuckit. Ima gonna bite the bullet and remove/re-add and wait the fifteen minutes as it parses all of the files on the disk.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are the permissions applied to "This folder, subfolder and files"?

Sounds like it's just the top level

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Not in my family.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Inspector_666 posted:

I asked my manager if I could schedule a meeting with the CTO to discuss what he told my manager, just to be polite because I didn't want to just go in and say "Well so-and-so said you said this..." and he told me not to do it and we'd have a department meeting about how to rehab our image.

Call it out. Get HR on the phone with manager in the room with you and say "we have something to discuss, Manager, can you please let HR know what CTO has said about me?" and ask for mediation with the CTO.

"Don't verify my claim by talking with the person i told you said this" sounds highly suspect to me.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

neogeo0823 posted:

She scheduled it for tomorrow at 3pm, with Overseer, myself, Overseer's boss, herself, and our certified mediator. My big concern here is that I'm gonna lay out all my issues with Overseer, express how he gives me insomnia, anxiety, and has honestly been the reason my alcohol intake has gone way up, and he's going to just interrupt me at every opportunity to correct minutia and his boss will back him up the whole way.

:siren: :siren: DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ALCOHOL INTAKE GOING UP IN THIS MEETING :siren: :siren:

You'll give your manager all the weapons in the world, he can now say "Dude's a drunk"

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

:siren: :siren: DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ALCOHOL INTAKE GOING UP IN THIS MEETING :siren: :siren:

You'll give your manager all the weapons in the world, he can now say "Dude's a drunk"

I did not, no. The meeting went.... Eh? I'm still employed there. Overseer's boss and HR both played up how him being extremely by the book is a good thing, and in very diplomatic and politically correct terms basically told me that it's all in my head, and to talk to Overseer even if I think he's unapproachable. Really, this would've gone more in my favor if Overseer's boss wasn't there, as he thinks the guy's a golden boy. I'm not happy with how the meeting turned out, but at least Overseer now knows for sure there's issues, as does his boss and HR, and hopefully he will at least make efforts to not be such a- gently caress it, I can't even finish that sentence.

In better news, HR also told me that they got my transfer application. Considering Good Supervisor's request to push the transfer through asap, as well as poo poo that's going on now, they said I'll likely be able to skip the mandatory interview phase. So hopefully by the end of the week or Monday, I should be in another department. So... sort of a half-:yotj:?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
There's your weekly reminder that HR NEVER exists to help you. Their sole and primary purpose is to protect the business at almost any cost.

I would be seeking other employment opportunities, regardless of your perceived outcome of this situation, if I were you.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Agrikk posted:

Is the full access applied to the administrators group or domain admins? Explorer can't elevate and grab the admin kerberos ticket per UAC so it'll just say you don't have access if you try to do something instead.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hihifellow posted:

Is the full access applied to the administrators group or domain admins? Explorer can't elevate and grab the admin kerberos ticket per UAC so it'll just say you don't have access if you try to do something instead.

Be careful about accessing folders through uac prompts, your account will get added with explicit permissions regardless of group membership.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

neogeo0823 posted:

I did not, no. The meeting went.... Eh? I'm still employed there. Overseer's boss and HR both played up how him being extremely by the book is a good thing, and in very diplomatic and politically correct terms basically told me that it's all in my head, and to talk to Overseer even if I think he's unapproachable. Really, this would've gone more in my favor if Overseer's boss wasn't there, as he thinks the guy's a golden boy. I'm not happy with how the meeting turned out, but at least Overseer now knows for sure there's issues, as does his boss and HR, and hopefully he will at least make efforts to not be such a- gently caress it, I can't even finish that sentence.

In better news, HR also told me that they got my transfer application. Considering Good Supervisor's request to push the transfer through asap, as well as poo poo that's going on now, they said I'll likely be able to skip the mandatory interview phase. So hopefully by the end of the week or Monday, I should be in another department. So... sort of a half-:yotj:?

You haven't gone out and bought either a bottle of vodka or a bumpstock, so I'd call it a win.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

spog posted:

You haven't gone out and bought either a bottle of vodka or a bumpstock, so I'd call it a win.

I joke with my department that, while I need to cut back on grocery costs, I will not cut back on my tequila consumption. It's like bread, eggs, and milk at this point; A pantry staple.

SeaborneClink posted:

There's your weekly reminder that HR NEVER exists to help you. Their sole and primary purpose is to protect the business at almost any cost.

I would be seeking other employment opportunities, regardless of your perceived outcome of this situation, if I were you.

I am absolutely doing this. There's a metric rear end load of problems with the company that I haven't even touched on yet. Remember how I called them the Harbor Freight Tools of aerospace? I meant it. Aside from the policy issues I've touched on via Overseer complaints, they don't do pay reevaluations at your 90 day review. Same for temp-to-hire positions where they hire you on from temp. They pay, median, $11/hour, which here, is the same pay as Burger King, Arby's, Walmart, and most other retail and fast food locations. Hell, if I were able to get the same hours, I could go to Target and get a $1/hour raise. Meanwhile, down the street, their direct competitor pays $17/hour on average to new employees, but won't even look at you unless you have at least a year of experience here. While I do have that experience, if I were to go there, I'd be put into a contract position for a few years, and honestly, this type of factory work just isn't really something I want to do for the foreseeable future. I don't want to make 150 units a day for 5/7ths of my life for the next X years. I want to create new things, solve problems and puzzles, help people, and feel valued in what I do, not just be another cog in the machine.

So for now, I'll keep putting my resume out there, keep looking, and enjoy at least being with a sane supervisor till I find a better job.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Call it out. Get HR on the phone with manager in the room with you and say "we have something to discuss, Manager, can you please let HR know what CTO has said about me?" and ask for mediation with the CTO.

"Don't verify my claim by talking with the person i told you said this" sounds highly suspect to me.

The HR situation right now is a mess, but I reached out to the CTO directly and this will likely be resolved one way or the other by the end of tomorrow since apparently we're all getting our offers from the buyer company then.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

You have to face it, man, Overseer wants you gone. He's found his technicality to fire you for cause, and has just been building the paper trail to deny you unemployment benefits. Go to Good Supervisor and tell him exactly this and that his ASAP needs to be tomorrow or the next day, because now that your issues are laid out with HR, he's going to make sure you're gone within the next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Motherfucker. After 10 days of our internet being lovely and with BT actually knowing it's their fault, they still haven't fixed it.

They had an appointment booked yesterday, cancelled it because some idiot had the bright idea to check the line and went "oh, its ok now" and cancelled it.

The issue is literally labelled "intermittent". I'm now guilty of telling a helpdesk person "look, i'm not angry at you, but whatever loving moron you employ who can't read needs to be fired".

I've become what I hate. This is stupid.

Appointment rescheduled for tomorrow, another 24 hours of not really being able to call clients. SLA is "on availability". gently caress.