Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Novum posted:

Getting punched on a piercing is also very bad, amigo

I won't be sparring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Then you have my blessing

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hey guys, I'm a machinist/cafeteria worker, and I'm thinking of growing my hair down to my waist. Any suggestions?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Also grow your pubes up out of your waistband.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Chest Pubes + Ballfro need to be on point

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wing Chun works, according to this nerd who got completely (and not surprisingly) hosed up:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/03/15/she-found-a-dating-app-on-her-boyfriends-phone-then-she-bought-a-samurai-sword

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wow everyone in this story is awful and bad at fighting.

has sword; loses fight to sleeping man.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Every quote from this clown is amazing:
“I’ve been preparing my whole life for something like this.”

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Its so good. My favorite part is "she just couldn't stand letting anyone else have me. Me. A semiprofessional player unknown's battleground player.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
*100 lightning speed straight punches to my deranged girlfriend's brain*

Finally, all my training has lead to this

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

"I wasn’t a sweaty nerd, more of an Ethlete,"

New thread title PLEASE

edit - I wish he would have died by sword
https://twitter.com/abiggielove/status/970511453462523904

JaySB fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 16, 2018

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I think he's done quite well for himself there, worth it.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I'm a well respected Ethlete. No, with an E instead.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

"“I was able to wing chun my way to survival,”

New thread title.

quote:

samurai wannabe crazy lady with hate in her heart

:allears:

Frandicterus
Mar 17, 2018

Novum posted:

*100 lightning speed straight punches to my deranged girlfriend's brain*

Finally, all my training has lead to this

Hohoho, speaking of which

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

I stand corrected, he got his blue belt in December apparently. But training MMA doesn't earn you a jiu jitsu belt, you actually have to put the gi on.

In talking about CM Punk being a white belt still, it bought up an interesting thought. I never train with a gi, I have done it once or twice and I don't like it. I don't want to start a gi vs no gi debate but are people who train without a gi ever, in mma style training, who get good, can they call themselves blue belt level? Blue belt level in no gi? What if they go to a comp, destroy the no gi blue belt division and even do alright in a gi at blue belt comp level? Are there guidelines?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

willie_dee posted:

can they call themselves blue belt level? Blue belt level in no gi? What if they go to a comp, destroy the no gi blue belt division and even do alright in a gi at blue belt comp level? Are there guidelines?

1) You can call yourself anything you'd like.

2)I don't think there is anything actually stopping anyone from buying a color belt and entering a Gi competition at any level except IBJJF which requires registration for purple, brown, and black , which requires getting the belt from an IBJJF instructor.

3) I don't believe there are conversion time in no gi to belt level. Which would make sense, because there are some pretty bad blue belts out there that have been doing BJJ for three or four years and world beater white belts who've been wearing the gi for way less than that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
There is that video of galvao clowning the guy who had a black belt in some non Brazilian jiu jitsu style.

That could be you!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I know that collegiate wrestlers or people with high levels of experience in other grappling arts aren't allowed to compete at white belt in level in IBJJF.

I'm not sure that if you had a blue belt level's worth of wrestling/grappling and you tried to compete in gi you'd do very well *edit* outside of Judo/Sambo experience

JaySB fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 21, 2018

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

There's the fun video of Lavell Marshall, who competes at a high level of Shuai Jiao, in a bjj white belt tournament and it was a little one-sided: https://streamable.com/vbu0e. His opponent was also something else.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I was given a blue belt before ever wearing a gi. 10 years later I’m still a blue belt and probably have only done 3-6 months of gi, I think.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

I was given a blue belt before ever wearing a gi. 10 years later I’m still a blue belt and probably have only done 3-6 months of gi, I think.

First part seems odd. 2nd part, what's your point exactly?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

JaySB posted:

First part seems odd. 2nd part, what's your point exactly?

Basically you’ll find people belting in no-gi and that’s becoming more common but it’s probably far from the norm. And Brazilians will probably never support that.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Basically you’ll find people belting in no-gi and that’s becoming more common but it’s probably far from the norm. And Brazilians will probably never support that.

No gi grappling should quite frankly be a different sport than Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It operates under a different ruleset and the skillset required is much different.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Are there other grappling sports that have a split based on clothing?

v As in how no/gi are still both considered bjj.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 22, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Neon Belly posted:

Are there other grappling sports that have a split based on clothing?

Judo and Greco are parallel with clothing being the largest difference.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Know what's awesome?

This loving sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBlCf-QBPCo&t=160s

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Good stuff ^^^

Holy poo poo this was fast. Almost looks sped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBlCf-QBPCo&t=215s

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Good stuff ^^^

Holy poo poo this was fast. Almost looks sped up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBlCf-QBPCo&t=215s

Oh yeah that was the one I rewound like 12 times to figure out what happened. At first it looked like a whip-cracking sumi otoshi. It took me a while to see the sweep.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Wing Chun, Wing Chun is the be...oh
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/3/...troversial-news

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is like the mentally ill guy who challenges random people to sparring matches until he gets beaten up by Detonay Wilder but funnier.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

quote:

Ding squared up to Xu again, but was punched, kneed, and then thrown head first into a dragon-wrapped column. By this point Ding had a bloody face, but still seemed game to continue fighting. He squared up to Xu one final time and ate a load more punches before the fight was finally called off.

Taiwan News reports that the referee declared the fight a draw.

:lol:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I love that those fake self-defense nonsense gyms are being exposed.

I trained with Nick Osipczack that was mentioned in that article originally but seems to have now been edited out. He left the ufc to do Thai Chi and thought it was amazing, got all spiritual, came back to the UK and took a Bit league fight, came out in this bizarre Thai Chi stance and got blasted in the face with a straight tight down the pipe. His mma instincts quickly kicked in and all the Thai Chi went out the window, he flat out sprawled and brawled and won.

Then he credited his win to Thai Chi. How do you even argue with that? He's mentioned as being someone who has accepted to take up the challenge on the traditional side of things, yet he's an ex ufc fighter and uses mma to win fights, at the same time, it wouldn't really be fair to restrict him to certain movement's.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1361

"Osipczak, who used his Tai Chi training to help him gain 6 professional MMA victories, including 2 in the UFC"

Bullshit, Thai Chi was never mentioned once, he trained at New Wave MMA academy and another non London based gym.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There's a school in England called Oxford Wudang that has students competing in sanshou and offers sparring classes. Sparring is always good, even if it's limited.
I agree with Nick that there are subtleties that you can pick up from taichi, but by and large, all the success you see in their application videos are standard sanshou sweeps, even if they have some ancestral relationship to taichi moves.

There're plenty of fighters who bill themselves as having this or that background and never use specific elements / moves from those styles in MMA fighting. I think partly cuz it helps to promote something different and partly to sucker their opponents into assuming they'll have a different style than they actually do.
Take this Z-league fight between two debuting fighters. The "Wing Chun" guy who gets a whole video promo about Wing Chun keeps the WC stance for the first minute, and does a lovely chain punch. After that, he has a pretty conventional (and lovely) style, but manages to get mount and choke his opponent out after having claimed no desire to go to the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3E6RmzXrnc&t=280s

When two masters face off in some dojo challenge and fight incredibly terribly, you gotta wonder how those students don't break down from the cognitive dissonance of their masters' performance compared to the widely widely available video evidence that other fighters are way more efficient and skilled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtsKqQRi-c8&t=38s

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

When two masters face off in some dojo challenge and fight incredibly terribly, you gotta wonder how those students don't break down from the cognitive dissonance of their masters' performance compared to the widely widely available video evidence that other fighters are way more efficient and skilled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtsKqQRi-c8&t=38s

What style was the bald white guy doing? The sequence dance movement looks ridiculous and I thought he was the one going to be knocked out.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

What style was the bald white guy doing? The sequence dance movement looks ridiculous and I thought he was the one going to be knocked out.

It is in the title of the video....Wing Chun

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Those are some of the worst punches I've ever seen, and I've watched CM Punk fight in UFC.

The second video is great. Boxer's fighting one handed, southpaw, and not even bothering to duck and weave.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

willie_dee posted:

I love that those fake self-defense nonsense gyms are being exposed.

OTOH 1993 was 25 years ago and I weep silently because people talk about their non-sense kung fu and street combat "too real for the cage" bullshit all. the. time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I love watching these kinda fights on Youtube. It puts my training in context (very coarsely) and reinforces what I want to get out of it.