Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
The more I think about it, the more Guardians 1 is my favourite. The characters are great, it still feels fresh, funny and visually interesting, the opening with Peter getting the orb just sets up the film perfectly. Hell, the dance off by itself has like 4 of my favourite moments in the whole MCU: Ronan genuinely wondering what the gently caress Peter's doing; the musical sting when they control the stone ''You said it yourself Bitch'; The ending montage kicking into The Jackson 5 so you finish with a big grin on your face. gently caress that films good.

Cap jumping on the grenade though. I don't think you can understate how good a job they did making Captain America the best character in the MCU. It's really loving hard to make cookie cutter good guys like that interesting, and they managed to do it without once selling out the character or turning him cynical/ironic/evil/sarcastic.

Favourite moment that no ones mentioned:

Widow: 'Thor, report on the Hulk?'
Thor: 'The gates of hell are filled with the screams of his victims :) :black101:!'
Banner: (loving kill me now)

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

One of the best parts of Ragnarok is just how Done Thor is with Loki. Like. The guy has done so much awful poo poo and undercut this moment that was actually significant to Thor when he died, and it was all a big fat lie that ruined everything for everybody. He acknowledges Loki isn’t something he can ever really be rid of, but he’s not going to show the worm any sympathy whatsoever anymore. Even by the end when he’s earned a tiny bit of esteem back, Thor is really just more “well you sure are here brother.”

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Timby posted:

This isn't happening. Neither has any interest in returning to the franchise.

They've said that before though. I wouldn't pin it down one way or another until offers are actually tabled.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Koalas March posted:

They've said that before though. I wouldn't pin it down one way or another until offers are actually tabled.

I wouldn't bet on it. The only franchise Will Smith has the slightest interest in revisiting is Bad Boys, and the reason the entire time-travel plot exists in MIB3 is because Tommy Lee Jones said he'd only show up for a few days on the set because he hated making MIB2 so much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
TLJ is also like a thousand years old.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Look, you can destroy my dreamcatcher but you can't destroy my dreams!!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I asked my wife her favourite MCU moment and she said “Piss off, ghost!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

He could be the new Zed since Rip Torn is even older and maybe demented

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Phylodox posted:

I asked my wife her favourite MCU moment and she said “Piss off, ghost!

My gfs is the hulk smashiblng loki in Avengers followed by loki crapping himself when he see Hulk again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t wait for Star Lord to get to Earth and find out there are more than 3 Star Wars films :allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t wait for Star Lord to get to Earth and find out there are more than 3 Star Wars films :allears:

Yeah but it's not like that's a good thing.

Edit: We're watching Civil War and giant Paul Rudd is my spirit animal.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 21, 2018

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why would you wish this on anybody?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What’s it like to be completely joyless people? :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hopefully GotG3 is set entirely on Earth and has Peter discovering how horrible our culture is and it makes him want to leave asap.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The greatest tragedy is that Tommy Lee Jones will never play Norman Osborn in the MCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

The greatest tragedy is that Tommy Lee Jones will never play Norman Osborn in the MCU.

Why? Because an artist used him as a base when drawing comics?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Well yeah literally the first thing you see is "A long time ago"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Rhyno posted:

"I had a date."

:cry:

Yeah, that's delightfully bittersweet.

As far as the triumphant, crowd pleasing fist-pump moments go, Thor lying there dead and Jane all weepy and music's all mournful, then Hopkins VOs about whosoever holds this hammer and its KRAKOOOOOOOOOM and the downright frickin' majestic Asgard/Yggdrasil theme kicks in as Thor kills the absolute crap out of the Destroyer is far and away my favourite of the lot.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Rhyno posted:

Hey, worked for Sam L Jackson

Iron Man 1 still has a lot of great lines that hold up:

'You've been called the Da Vinci of your time, what do you say to that?
'Absolutely ridiculous, I don't paint'
'What about your other nickname, the Merchant of Death?'
'...That's not bad'

' ...'
'Well let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing'

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Pussy Quipped posted:

Why would you wish this on anybody?

quill uses the reality stone to make sure the prequels never existed

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rhyno posted:

It's more than that. He not only looks the part, I think he could play the part effectively and he doesn't get to play enough villains.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

It's more than that. He not only looks the part, I think he could play the part effectively and he doesn't get to play enough villains.

He looks the part? Of a comic book character that has been drawn by literally hundreds of different artists?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Nodosaur posted:

But how can he top this?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I want Peter Quill to go to a planet ~35 lightyears away from Earth that has been receiving our tv and radio signals are going through the same trends as when he left

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

The final moment between Vision and Ultron is definitely worth a nod.

Vision: You're afraid.
Ultron: Of you?
Vision: Of death. You're the last one.
Ultron: You were supposed to be the last. Stark asked for a savior and settled for a slave.
Vision: I suppose we are both disappointments.
Ultron: Heh. I suppose we are.
Vision: Humans are odd. They think order and chaos are somehow opposites and... try to control what won't be. But there is grace in their failings. I think you missed that.
Ultron: They're doomed.
Vision: Yes. But a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts. It's a privilege to be among them.
Ultron: You're unbearably naive.
Vision: Well... I was born yesterday.

This is definitely one of mine.

But probably number one for me is either Cap at the end of Civil War calling back to the first Cap movie with "I can do this all day" or in Winter Solider with his speech "The price of freedom is high. It always has been. But it's a price I'm willing to pay. If I'm the only one then so be it, but I'm willing to bet I'm not" because that's like a quintessential Captain America speech.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am writing in Chris Evans at the next election.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CommaToes posted:

But how can he top this?

Easily

Rhyno posted:

He looks the part? Of a comic book character that has been drawn by literally hundreds of different artists?

I mean, there's a reason that one artist settled on TLJ. From what I understand people had liked the idea for a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodosaur posted:

Easily

I mean, there's a reason that one artist settled on TLJ. From what I understand people had liked the idea for a while.

I recall more people saying Deodato was lazy and a tracer but whatever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nodosaur posted:

One of the best parts of Ragnarok is just how Done Thor is with Loki. Like. The guy has done so much awful poo poo and undercut this moment that was actually significant to Thor when he died, and it was all a big fat lie that ruined everything for everybody. He acknowledges Loki isn’t something he can ever really be rid of, but he’s not going to show the worm any sympathy whatsoever anymore. Even by the end when he’s earned a tiny bit of esteem back, Thor is really just more “well you sure are here brother.”

Wow, that is the exact opposite of what I got from those scenes. My read was closer to, "you know, brother, I still love you dearly, but I've just gotten so tired of this schtick you have. It's like, I was a one-dimensional meatheaded himbo once. And then I went on a journey of discovery and grew as a person, and now I'm a likeable, useful himbo. And it would be nice if you could do that, too. Like, whenever you're ready. Maybe you could please start now?"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Either way, I really just want Norman in the MCU. Any other people y'all think'd be good?

Rand Brittain posted:

Wow, that is the exact opposite of what I got from those scenes. My read was closer to, "you know, brother, I still love you dearly, but I've just gotten so tired of this schtick you have. It's like, I was a one-dimensional meatheaded himbo once. And then I went on a journey of discovery and grew as a person, and now I'm a likeable, useful himbo. And it would be nice if you could do that, too. Like, whenever you're ready. Maybe you could please start now?"

Well, I mean. He was saying it'd be better if they went their separate ways. I can see that fitting at the end, but Thor was pretty willing to leave him behind on Sakaar.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm not sure I'm ready for the normal Non-Ragnarok Thor to return :(

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Nodosaur posted:

Either way, I really just want Norman in the MCU. Any other people y'all think'd be good?

Well, I mean. He was saying it'd be better if they went their separate ways. I can see that fitting at the end, but Thor was pretty willing to leave him behind on Sakaar.

personally id like the spidey movies to stay away from green goblin as long as possible, im just so done with seeing that story

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Hey, worked for Sam L Jackson

Iron Man 1 still has a lot of great lines that hold up:

'You've been called the Da Vinci of your time, what do you say to that?
'Absolutely ridiculous, I don't paint'
'What about your other nickname, the Merchant of Death?'
'...That's not bad'

' ...'
'Well let's face it, this is not the worst thing you've caught me doing'

Proof that Tony Stark has a heart was pretty great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the "okay we're gonna start this off at 10% thrust" *launches straight into the ceiling* was a pretty great moment in im1 as well imo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rhyno posted:

I would vote for Chris Evans if he ran on an all-Captain America platform.

he really is one of my favorite characters in any fiction series, played to perfection

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I can understand not wanting them to be all about the goblins again, but like. Norman is THE Spider-man villain. His complete absence would feel like Thor without Loki. And I feel like we've never really gotten a definitive version of him; Defoe is good, but he's not exactly the character I've loved from the comic.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’m trying to think of who could play Norman Osborne and my mind keeps circling...Walton Goggins, maybe?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Phylodox posted:

I’m trying to think of who could play Norman Osborne and my mind keeps circling...Walton Goggins, maybe?

Too bad then that he's going to be in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm trying, but I honestly can't think of someone who could convincingly pull "Hitler never had this kind of trouble. People just did as he told them. Must've been nice." while being ridiculous and menacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bring back Dafoe.

Michael Shannon would be good for that business like but also completely unhinged mix too.

• Locked thread