Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bhodi posted:

how much of that is the contrast of the recording though

not even 7 bits of contrast in that area of the video frame so its completely due to the way the video is delivered

i'm also guessing thats not from the cameras used for driving. i'd be shocked if they didn't have 16 bits of resolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like as teenagers we learned the trick of dragging a $1 dollar store lifesize baby doll on a 50 foot rope behind my friend's Buick as a way to Keep Driver Awareness Up

they dont even have the fuckin rocket surgeons needed to think up ideas like this to do baseline tests on "is this loving retarded poo poo or not"

hire me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

even if the lidar and radar were broken how did the camera not try to slam on the brakes when even the slow meaty human in the car had enough time to react to her coming into view

i'm gonna go ahead and take a wild guess that it recognized an object there using one of the sensor methods but misidentified it in some way and then set some "nah ignore that it's fine" flag that effectively masked all the other sensors

e: not that uber would ever admit that it detected a woman and then decided it was okay to proceed rather than "it just didn't see her at all, she just leapt out of the darkness and spooked the car!!!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bhodi posted:

and it'd still probably kill less people than humans do

cars are a disease

kinda a shame you had to brush death to slow down, we should hire stunt men to dive in front of student drivers and get that poo poo in early because every single person needs to touch the hot stove, humanity is awful that way

self driving cars have demonstrated themselves to be significantly more dangerous than human drivers already

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quote:

i'm gonna go ahead and take a wild guess that it recognized an object there using one of the sensor methods but misidentified it in some way and then set some "nah ignore that it's fine" flag that effectively masked all the other sensors

solid theory i expect that stack ranking and all other sorts of sociopathic valuation garbage has wormed its way into the code driving this poo poo

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

my mom and sisters got into a serious car accident because they were stopped at a stoplight and the person behind them wasn't paying attention and hit them going 50, never even put on the brakes.

what i'm saying is cars are a bad idea regardless because they are big murder machines that go very fast.

e: i ubered to work this morning because it was raining.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Bhodi posted:

kinda a shame you had to brush death to slow down, we should hire stunt men to dive in front of student drivers and get that poo poo in early because every single person needs to touch the hot stove, humanity is awful that way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

crabrock posted:

my mom and sisters got into a serious car accident because they were stopped at a stoplight and the person behind them wasn't paying attention and hit them going 50, never even put on the brakes.

what i'm saying is cars are a bad idea regardless because they are big murder machines that go very fast.

e: i ubered to work this morning because it was raining.

my car was rearended with a 40mph differential in rush hour traffic and I still have PTSD from it and basically freak out any time a car comes up behind me a little too quickly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
probably the scariest moment of my life, my glasses flew off so i was instantly basically blind, its 7:45 am, a drunk person just immobilized my BMW which is now totaled and i have to get out of the danger area but i can't see. do i keep looking for my glasses or bail into the median

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
gently caress. did you see the car coming in your mirror before it smacked you?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that wreck was metal af though, a state trooper rolled up with "yo we gotta get your car out of the fast lane"

"she's dead boss. Push it?""

"stand back"

and then i got to see a loving highway patrol car rev up and bash his push bar into my GERMAN DRIVING MACHINE and then bulldozer it off of the road, cop car tires squealing the whole time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah it was very much a "he's pushing the phase" thing. like he was braking and accelerating late, i didn't ahve a good vibe about it at all, and then traffic Went and Stopped and i just knew he was gonna assjam me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
funniest cop quote of the incident: "You say you lost your medication? We can take you to then hospital and then to jail, or we can take you to jail"

he chose hospital-then-jail

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

so who from Uber goes to jail over this?

I got t-boned by a drunk driver who ran a red light into my driver side door and I at least got the satisfaction of seeing the poo poo head who did it go to prison

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jabor posted:

The camera is being washed out by the streetlights shining directly at it. A human driver (who knows that the road is what it needs to pay attention to, not the streetlights themselves) can see a lot more of the road than you can see in the video. An attentive human driver would absolutely have seen the lady in time to avoid the collision.

(Not to mention the fact that lidar absolutely did see her regardless of lighting levels, and the computer chose to ignore it)

not to mention that even if the car could only see what its headlights were illuminating, traveling so fast that it only has 1 second to react to and dodge obstacles coming into view is clearly and obscenely dangerous. just because the speedlimit is 35 doesn't mean you get to go 35 in all conditions, especially low visibility ones. most loving humans would've rectified this problem by turning on their brights, but oops, guess the autonomous vehicle wasn't trained to do that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

the independent contractor dozing off

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ludwig van Halen posted:

what on earth gave you any idea there would be even a hint of civil consequences, much less criminal ones

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bhodi posted:

maybe we should mandate spinning blades on the front of all autos to at least make it a clean kill

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
helen walton literally just loving drove over an employee at a frozen food factory and they said "woops unavoidable. youre good" and she went on to get 3 more DUI's

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

what on earth gave you any idea there would be even a hint of civil consequences, much less criminal ones

i mean after all if the car weren't driving itself it probably would have hit three people instead of just one, because they're inherently safer and save lives :downs:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Bhodi posted:

it might not make it to civil litigation, but i bet there’ll be a big rear end payment made.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That video confirms that the woman had crossed a full lane of traffic, had passed in front of the car, and was on the far side at the moment of impact

So what this establishes is that Uber's self-driving car somehow cannot see a human-sized target next to a 30 lb steel tube structure of approximately equal size when the target is one lane off to the side and a few dozen feet ahead.

Let's ignore for now that the car didn't brake at all. Do you think a human being could see an obstruction the size of a person with a bicycle standing in the lane next to the one they were driving in, approximately 50 feet ahead of them, at night?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

video of the car crash is out and nope the car didn't try to brake at all despite a human in plain sight

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/976587029390663680

it's kinda impressive how hard the Tempe police are working to try to make this look good for uber

delayed the video a day or two to let the big headlines dissipate, then released a video where the "interior view" showing the driver dozing is three times as long as the "exterior view" showing the car straight-up plowing down a pedestrian in the middle of the street

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

helen walton literally just loving drove over an employee at a frozen food factory and they said "woops unavoidable. youre good" and she went on to get 3 more DUI's

i will never get why someone with more money than god drives themselves places

she could take a fuckin helicopter everywhere all the time for her entire life and not even notice the money is gone

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

she could take a fuckin helicopter everywhere all the time for her entire life and not even notice the money is gone

you can't just land helicopters anywhere, you'll hit power lines and poo poo

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Bhodi posted:

naive I know

but you would think any politician associated with the permits for this would have at least considered the question of criminal liability :downs:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ate all the Oreos posted:

she got a DUI in texas 5 years ago (where she lives, because gently caress Arkansas Despite All That Walmart Propaganda) and the local PD 'made a decision to let the 3 year statute of limitations run out' like that was reported in the paper

lol

rich people dont have to deal with Laws

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and of course theres a whole shitload of DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM in the police transcript and court records lmao

turn em into horse food or w/e

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

she got a DUI in texas 5 years ago (where she lives, because gently caress Arkansas Despite All That Walmart Propaganda) and the local PD 'made a decision to let the 3 year statute of limitations run out' like that was reported in the paper

lol

rich people dont have to deal with Laws

i guess the trick is to not do this in LA because they do throw celebrities in jail for pulling that poo poo

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

probably the scariest moment of my life, my glasses flew off so i was instantly basically blind, its 7:45 am, a drunk person just immobilized my BMW which is now totaled and i have to get out of the danger area but i can't see. do i keep looking for my glasses or bail into the median

Yeah same but it was an f450 utility truck. My front end looked even worse than the back since I was plowed forward in to 5 more cars.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

President Beep posted:

it might not make it to civil litigation, but i bet there’ll be a big rear end payment made.
oooor now this is crazy but hear me out, absolutely nothing will happen because the police are bought and paid for by corporate interests and even if they weren't this is no different than the literal thousand pedestrians struck and killed every year with no charges filed except that the car is even more incompetent than your average person

plus, since when has uber paid for anything it doesn't absolutely legally have to, when has it ever obeyed a law it can straight up ignore, and when has it ever opened a checkbook without a long protracted court case forcing it

e:

The Chief of Police posted:

“it appears that the Uber would likely not be at fault,”, “It’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode” — self-driving or human-driven — “based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway,” Moir told the Chronicle.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 22, 2018

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah same but it was an f450 utility truck. My front end looked even worse than the back since I was plowed forward in to 5 more cars.

i got crammed into the lady in front of me and they tried to give me poo poo about "you didnt leave enough follow distance" and i came back with "you just said audibly that the guy behind me was drunk. should i get my lawyer" and they zipped up immediately

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

eh, you very well might be right. i absolutely don’t expect any criminal charges, but given the unique nature of the incident—a lot of folks are already on edge about autonomous vehicles, and it’s clear that this isn’t a case of human negligence that’ll easily allow them to pass the blame—i bet they end up shelling out a lot of money to try and mitigate a pr/political disaster.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this is just michaels solution to the trolley problem.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

eh, you very well might be right. i absolutely don’t expect any criminal charges, but given the unique nature of the incident—a lot of folks are already on edge about autonomous vehicles, and it’s clear that this isn’t a case of human negligence that’ll easily allow them to pass the blame—i bet they end up shelling out a lot of money to try and mitigate a pr/political disaster.

nobody in power is on the edge about AVs though

a bunch of powerless people like you and me are hollering. Nobody on a board of directors or a regulatory board gives a gently caress. theyre some idiot 58 year old guy on a statin diet still thinking about that einstein bagel's waitress from 3 days ago. we are being run by lizard brains

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have litearlly zero hope for the future of america and i know that some of you have had kids so this is super scary, but we all need 2 b wiped

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

nobody in power is on the edge about AVs though

a bunch of powerless people like you and me are hollering. Nobody on a board of directors or a regulatory board gives a gently caress. theyre some idiot 58 year old guy on a statin diet still thinking about that einstein bagel's waitress from 3 days ago. we are being run by lizard brains

yeah. when i say that bhodi might be right i don’t mean that rhetorically. i just have a hunch that this is going to cost them something. :shrug:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

President Beep posted:

yeah. when i say that bhodi might be right i don’t mean that rhetorically. i just have a hunch that this is going to cost them something. :shrug:
what, you mean in the court of public opinion? like, when people read about it in the paper or watch the 6'oclock news? here's the news today that it's fighting for eyeball time with. this is literally one day of news

SKULL.GIF posted:

okay 7 PM EST seems like a safe time to drop this

Wednesday 3/21
Things that Happened Today:
  • Steve Bannon was in charge of vacuuming up personal data from Facebook
  • More HUD - discovered plans to establish microcities (charter schools, but for neighborhoods) in America by selling off land to private interests
  • Nor'easter hits the Eastern Seaboard and shuts down DC and NYC. Largest spring snowstorm in NYC history
  • Austin police tracks down suspected bomber, a 24 y/o white male, after reviewing store receipts and internet searches. Bomber flees SWAT, commits suicide via exploding truck
  • Powerful storm advances onto SoCal, expected to create huge mudslides, multiple counties face evacuations
  • Trump furious at DO NOT CONGRATULATE leaks. Information leaked suggests high-ranking official close to President. All public events cancelled today. Paranoia bigly in the White House, "rattled"
  • GOP runs bona fide Nazi for Congress
  • Funding bill completes, does not include DACA deal, ACA stabilization, or Mueller protections. Includes money for Wall. HFC urges Trump to veto. Shutdown looms
  • Mulvaney & Acosta buries Labor Dpt report showing estimated impact of Trump administration new rule allowing businesses to steal hundreds of millions in tips from workers
  • NRA more unpopular than popular, support dropping among white women, urban residents, and moderate/soft Republicans
  • Israel admits to 2007 bombing of Syrian nuclear reactor (built in secret with assistance from North Korea), warns Iran against developing nuclear weapons, threatens strikes
  • Tucker Carlson shifts from latent white supremacy to overt fascism, rants about shadowy cabal of leaders engineering an autocratic mass replacement of whites
  • Sessions "strongly encourages" federal prosecutors to apply death penalty
  • Drug-resistant strain of HIV that rapidly progresses into AIDS surfaces in Philippines. Infection rate jumps 140% past few years, despite worldwide HIV infection rate dropping
  • Joe Biden threatens to "beat the hell out of" Trump for disrespecting women, calls him "fattiest, ugliest S.O.B. in the room"
  • Fox News analyst abruptly quits, calls network "propaganda machine"
  • Trump administration ends expedited processing for H1-B visas
  • Ben Shapiro forced to cancel lectures, owned by snowflakes
  • Asked whether a new Cold War, a 4-star general responds "We are in a warm war."
  • Palm trees are expanding into the Northeast because of climate shifts
  • EU approves the $63B Bayer merger with Monsanto
  • Morale at Facebook Co craters as panic spreads about users leaving Facebook. Employees feel responsible for Trump's electoral victory
  • Gohmert calls for Mueller to be fired
  • Baltimore cops carry toy guns to plant on murder victims
  • More Trump officials - Zinke and Pruitt - exposed by House Oversight Committee on wasting loads of money on vacations and security
  • Trump demands Lavrov/Pompeo to fast-track summit with Putin
  • Mueller asked Cambridge Analytica in December -- four months ago -- to hand over emails connected to Trump campaign
  • Trump considers vetoing funding bill. Ryan attempts to argue him down
  • Fed hikes interest rates to 1.75%, anticipates 5 more rate hikes before 2020
  • Trump rants at associates about how GOP owes him wall after fundraising, tax cuts, Gorsuch, etc
  • Trump caves on the wall - WEAK - after his handlers (Pence, Ryan, McConnell, Kelly) convene to shout at him
  • Trump immediately scuttles "was not briefed" narrative on DO NOT CONGRATULATE, insists he deliberately called Putin to congratulate
  • Trump claims Russia will help with "problems" North Korea, Syria, Ukraine, ISIS, and "even the coming Arms Race", then drops fascist slogan "PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH!"
  • Significantly, listing Ukraine as "problem" is yet another stark indicator Trump enthralled by Putin
  • Cambridge Analytica had access to emails of Heads of State (Nigeria, St. Kitt & Nevis), obtained from Israeli hackers
  • Former FBI director McCabe authorized criminal probe of AG Sessions, and Sessions knew about it before firing McCabe
  • Mohammed bin Salman brags Jared Kushner is "in his pocket", fed MBS information from Presidential briefings that MBS used to purge disloyal people from his kingdom
  • Fox News deeply shook over analyst resignment and declaration that the network is a "propaganda machine"
  • FEMA drops "climate change" from its strategic planning and websites
  • HHS strips lesbian, bisexual health content from women’s health website
  • George Nader, child pornography felon, heavily influenced the White House to act against Qatar in UAE interests, attempted private meeting between Trump and Emiratis, urged Trump to fire Tillerson, and funneled millions in foreign money to grease wheels of above. Nader seized by Mueller and FBI, now acting as witness
  • Austin bomber was member of R.I.O.T., Righteous Invasion of Truth, Christian group where they train children with weapons and chemical mixing
  • Another tower in the UK Ireland is on fire
  • Peru's President resigns a day before impeachment
  • Mueller to ask Trump about Russian Trump Tower meeting, firings of Comey and Flynn
  • Paul Ryan to join Fox & Friends Thursday morning to persuade Trump to sign the funding bill

tomorrow and friday scare me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that doesn't seem to include kush passing presidential daily briefings to the crown prince of KSA. that information was used a week later to start his purges

edit: 6th from the end....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i definitely get your point, bhodi, and it’s a valid one.

on a related note, my boss came into my office yesterday to ask me if i’d gotten the brochure that came in the mail about some conference over on the east side of the state about planning “smart cities” for poo poo like autonomous vehicles. she was all jazzed about it because she thought it sounded cool. i felt kind of bad when i told her that i’d already pitched mine into the recycling bin.