Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This has not been my experience, there's a ton of asian and middle eastern techbros but yeah emphasis on bros.

It depends on the market too, because there's plenty of south Asians represented in certain segments. But it is almost always men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I would love to see a mandatory year of intro-level humanities/social sciences tacked on as a transitory period between high school and post-secondary. A grade 13, if you will.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Stickarts posted:

I would love to see a mandatory year of humanities/social sciences tacked in as a transitory period between high school and post-secondary. A grade 13, if you will.

I was going to suggest something like this as well, I think it's a good idea.

Or make high school in its current form less of a cakewalk. The thing that fucks up some people -- especially people who need to have part time jobs, or have more responsibilities and often less money -- is that there's a fuckton of busywork that's essentially pointless. Rip that poo poo out and get to some challenging material, goddamn.

I'm still bitter about what a heinous waste of time high school was, and how little it prepared me for university-level work.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chillyrabbit posted:

I think most of us understand that our free speech in Canada isn't unlimited, the courts have consistently ruled that there are limits especially around hate speech and the like.

In that vein an interesting "free speech" case was resolved yesterday

Maybe. I just don't see it in the general arguments and politics of people who claim to be standing for free speech against whatever group they've decided is censorious and tyrannical.

Stickarts posted:

I would love to see a mandatory year of intro-level humanities/social sciences tacked on as a transitory period between high school and post-secondary. A grade 13, if you will.

It's funny because there was a science degree requirement for my wretched humanities undergrad degree. I really enjoyed it and appreciated how the philosophy of science has evolved over time, and how it can create cool and beautiful things (I took a physics of music & sound course and another course touched on chaos theory).

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 21, 2018

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Probably the best thing to happen to me in my engineering degree was that I was a lazy rear end in a top hat and failed to apply for the "English for engineers" class before it filled up, so instead ended up getting my English credit from a Comp Lit class of english writings from non-western countries (South Africa, Egypt, Japan and somewhere in South America, iirc). The readings were very horizon-expanding and did a lot to enhance my understanding of race, class and cultural differences. Way more fundamentally useful than learning how to write technical reports for 4 months. It also encouraged me to take a Science and Society and a Philosophy of Science course, which I now think should just be mandatory for every BSc or techbro degree.

Then again my parents were poor public-sector hippies so I probably had some social-consciousness priming from that.

Square Peg fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 21, 2018

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

PT6A posted:

I was going to suggest something like this as well, I think it's a good idea.

Or make high school in its current form less of a cakewalk. The thing that fucks up some people -- especially people who need to have part time jobs, or have more responsibilities and often less money -- is that there's a fuckton of busywork that's essentially pointless. Rip that poo poo out and get to some challenging material, goddamn.

I'm still bitter about what a heinous waste of time high school was, and how little it prepared me for university-level work.

As we ate a probie together I am now spiritually obligated to disagree with you at every turn. Therefore, I now think we should go the other way and reduce the number of grades, and create lower standards for teaching on a nation-wide scale. Abolish post-secondary education as an institution. Way easier to achieve equality of opportunity if there is no opportunity, suckers!

Dreylad posted:

It's funny because there was a science degree requirement for my wretched humanities undergrad degree. I really enjoyed it and appreciated how the philosophy of science has evolved over time, and how it can create cool and beautiful things (I took a physics of music & sound course and another course touched on chaos theory).

Yeah - I really enjoyed my science and maths requirements, even if I struggled with them. I took a "history of code breaking" course, which was pretty nifty, but oh jeez gosh golly did it wrack and/or wreck my brain on a daily basis. It's almost as if we should be... developing... well-rounded... citizens... who are aware of and concerned with a multitude of issues and involved with their community at large? Or just a consumer base for truck nutz. One or the other.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Square Peg posted:

Probably the best thing to happen to me in my engineering degree was that I was a lazy rear end in a top hat and failed to apply for the "English for engineers" class before it filled up, so instead ended up getting my English credit from a Comp Lit class of english writings from non-western countries (South Africa, Egypt, Japan and somewhere in South America, iirc). The readings were very horizon-expanding and did a lot to enhance my understanding of race, class and cultural differences. Way more fundamentally useful than learning how to write technical reports for 4 months. It also encouraged me to take a Science and Society and a Philosophy of Science course, which I now think should just be mandatory for every BSc or techbro degree.

Then again my parents were poor public-sector hippies so I probably had some social-consciousness priming from that.

At the U of M Engineering, Technology and Society is a mandatory course for most Engineering streams, it's kinda fluffy but it does give a different perspective.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah the flip side of this coin is that I absolutely think humanities and social sciences students should also get a better education in STEM subjects. My undergrad requirement was literally one science course (out of 40 total), and I and everyone else got it out of the way with one of the "X for non-X students" courses. I took physics for non-physicists, I know people who did astronomy for non-scientists, etc. It was a fun class but did very little for my actual knowledge of physics since most of it was a repeat of the physics classes I took in high school but with all the math removed.

I think the almost complete divorce we currently have between subjects harms all sides. Just as one example, we end up with techbros who don't understand politics and politicians who don't understand tech, so the techbros bristle at being regulated by people who don't understand how their industry works (and maybe develop an inherent hostility to any regulation at all in the process) and the politicians end up regulating the wrong things anyway because they don't actually understand how a certain technological innovation is going to affect society, or they end up relying on lobbyists' skewed presentation of the best way forward. It's not like they can turn to the civil service for advice either because no one would take a civil service tech job when they could go make money in Silicon Valley.

Stickarts posted:

I think this is an iffy solution because you would need to also significantly raise the quality of humanities and social science curricula in high school to make it worthwhile. There's a level of coverage and analysis that you get in a university history class, for example, that you just aren't going to get in a "grade 13" type environment, because you're not going to convince successful academics to teach glorified high school (insert your own joke about the academic job market here).

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This has not been my experience, there's a ton of asian and middle eastern techbros but yeah emphasis on bros.

Yeah this is absolutely true and an oversight in my post. I'd be curious if it holds true for people at the top (successful tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, etc., i.e. the people who have the most power to determine workplace culture from the beginning of a company or revamp it over time) or if it's more that we're producing a racially diverse (though almost universally male) set of coders but not a diverse set of tech millionaires and billionaires.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 21, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Good news! Zircon and titanium can be extracted from tailings ponds.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/titanium-oilsands-cnrl-titaniumcorp-1.4584513?cmp=FB_Post_News

Bad news: after extraction all the cancer poo poo still remains now with the addition of other solvents and is still pumped out in to a tailings pond.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

cowofwar posted:

Good news! Zircon and titanium can be extracted from tailings ponds.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/titanium-oilsands-cnrl-titaniumcorp-1.4584513?cmp=FB_Post_News

Bad news: after extraction all the cancer poo poo still remains now with the addition of other solvents and is still pumped out in to a tailings pond.

interesting, this was brought up a lot during my M.Eng about 10 years ago as a benefit of tarsands extraction. It's funny because at the time the biggest barrier was "regulations" so i wonder how many changes are technological vs regulatory.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

vyelkin posted:

I think this is an iffy solution because you would need to also significantly raise the quality of humanities and social science curricula in high school to make it worthwhile. There's a level of coverage and analysis that you get in a university history class, for example, that you just aren't going to get in a "grade 13" type environment, because you're not going to convince successful academics to teach glorified high school (insert your own joke about the academic job market here).

I guess this is a part of my more overall point - which also dovetails into PT6A's - that maybe there shouldn't be this staggering gap between secondary and post-secondary in terms of content and expectations. Also, I have to hope that most upper-level secondary teachers would be capable of teaching their way through introductory-level university courses within the field they received their non-Ed. degree in.

Realistically, a more achievable (beginning to a) solution would be the creation of mandatory and continuing civics and ethics courses at the high school level.

There would also, I expect, have to be a concomitant increase in teacher standards. Another idle day-dream, but I would love to see primary/secondary education become a little bit more "academic" in approach - in as much as teachers on continuing contracts would be expected to be actively involved in continuing research related to their field or practice and pursuing presentation/publication in some form.

I suppose the encouraging aspect for me is that, at least in SK, we seem to be trying to learn the lessons that Finland is trying to teach when it comes to public education success. That is, less direct student-to-student competition and mark comparisons, eliminate where possible standardised tests, increase individualised supports, and focus on learning how to learn, rather than emphasis on content. Of course, this only works with proper, serious funding. So lol I guess.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Grade 13 is bad. Graduating from high school at 19 is ridiculous. Quebec's CEGEP approach is good.

e: Given how often the techbros end up bullying lawmakers to make the laws fit the techbro needs, I think they understand politics quite well.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Often times, those who get everything they want are the least likely to understand how things works.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I am super thankful for Cegep. I wasn't a very good student in high school but made it into Pure & applied science in cegep and learned how to actually work hard. I actually failed a physics course in my first year and managed to turn it all around and get a BEng in University. None of that would have been possible without Cegep because high school just didn't work for me.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I think this overlaps with a lot of the issues that came up around the free tuition discussion and why investment in postsecondary education is often just too late to have much impact. In my case I was lucky enough to have a public school with the IB program(me) in my area, with excellent teachers (not even in a particularly affluent area -- the school was next to a strip club for a very long time). University was mostly a step down in rigor for myself and many of my classmates, and I graduated in 3 years (having received roughly a year's worth of university credit while in high school, including credit for first year English, History, Philosophy, etc). There are huge compounding effects from being in good educational environments early on.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

blah_blah posted:

I think this overlaps with a lot of the issues that came up around the free tuition discussion and why investment in postsecondary education is often just too late to have much impact. In my case I was lucky enough to have a public school with the IB program(me) in my area, with excellent teachers (not even in a particularly affluent area -- the school was next to a strip club for a very long time). University was mostly a step down in rigor for myself and many of my classmates, and I graduated in 3 years (having received roughly a year's worth of university credit while in high school, including credit for first year English, History, Philosophy, etc). There are huge compounding effects from being in good educational environments early on.
Port Moody Secondary School? Good school, built on a dump, next to a ravine, and adjacent to a strip club, and portables as far as the eye can see.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So many irate idiots.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/service-canada-gender-neutral-1.4585629

HOW DARE YOU ASK MY PREFERRED TITLE!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

blah_blah posted:

Yea primary grade levels are absolutely make or break in terms of establishing a relationship with learning. Arguably the best and brightest teachers should be deployed there.

Unfortunately, it ends up generally being the place where people who want to be teachers “but are bad at school” end up.

The elementary teacher ed. program where I got my degree honestly has a course where pre-service teachers had whole classes where they just... fingerpainted. It’s embarrassing. Maybe a little more focus on developmental psych and the way that intersects with learning and less on arts and crafts time? Which goes back to raising standards for in-service teachers.

But yea - post-secondary is getting more and more busted, but fix/fund public schools first.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

EngineerJoe posted:

I am super thankful for Cegep. I wasn't a very good student in high school but made it into Pure & applied science in cegep and learned how to actually work hard. I actually failed a physics course in my first year and managed to turn it all around and get a BEng in University. None of that would have been possible without Cegep because high school just didn't work for me.

I really like the CEGEP system in Quebec and I think it should be emulated elsewhere. The students who came out of that system were, by and large, prepared for university.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
For those of us who didn't go to school in Quebec, what's the difference between CEGEP and just having another year of "high school"?

Is it the fact that it's a different, bigger building that can offer a greater diversity in programs? If so, do you think it would make more sense to start that in grade 10-11 and have it last longer?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just a normal TA with normal, not at all extreme or racist opinions. all she wants is fairness and free speech for all. and an open fair hearing for "white racial consciousness"

https://twitter.com/BillyArmagh/status/976296754365673472

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Geese honk when flying so they can all keep track of each other. :colbert:

One time in a thick fog I heard a swarm passing overhead and one was separated off to the side, and you could hear them taking turns honking back and forth to redirect it. Kinda cool.

They still suck though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Geese don't suck, they're delicious!

...oh, you mean live geese? Yeah, I could do without those entirely.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

PT6A posted:

Geese don't suck, they're delicious!

...oh, you mean live geese? Yeah, I could do without those entirely.

Clearly you aren't exposed to hundreds of Canada geese on a daily basis. The speciesism is real. Also green poo poo everywhere.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

PT6A posted:

For those of us who didn't go to school in Quebec, what's the difference between CEGEP and just having another year of "high school"?

Is it the fact that it's a different, bigger building that can offer a greater diversity in programs? If so, do you think it would make more sense to start that in grade 10-11 and have it last longer?

I've experienced Quebec high school, american high school (including 12th grade), cégep, and several universities. That was more than 20 years ago so please correct me if things changed.

Cégep is an acronym for General and Professional Education College and that's exactly what it is. Cégeps provide pre-university or technical training (e.g. lab tech, nursing, dental hygiene, etc.).

In a sense it is like a college or a university because students must be much more autonomous. But the Applied/natural/pure science (STEM) curriculum and the humanities curriculum have a lot of rigidity in terms of course selection. For instance, francophone pre-university programs required French (including debate in the 4th semester), ESL, and philosophy. Electives were limited, but for STEM there would be a selection of non-STEM courses.

Which was great because I switched programs in uni and got the non-transferable courses credited as electives. 100% STEM curriculum from BSc to PhD. I am the STEMLORD

:ohdear:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Clearly you aren't exposed to hundreds of Canada geese on a daily basis. The speciesism is real. Also green poo poo everywhere.

Anyone who's ever been near a playground in Canada knows about Canada geese. Those things were a daily blight at recess.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It sucks that some of the upsurge of geese populations in urban areas is because of habitat destruction. Thing is that's just part of it, the rest is because parks and rec areas make great habitats on their own because they're extremely safe.

And now that the geese are coming back year after year and when those in charge of trying to service these park lands started resulting to disturbing nests, of course a ton of people got all weepy about it. So now they use dogs to chase the geese off, sometimes, but the geese know that the dogs are all bark.

Give it a decade or so and we'll be able to hunt geese inside city limits with a ketch-all pole.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

In Ottawa you can catch Canada geese with your bare hands.

Please don't try at home.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

just a normal TA with normal, not at all extreme or racist opinions. all she wants is fairness and free speech for all. and an open fair hearing for "white racial consciousness"

https://twitter.com/BillyArmagh/status/976296754365673472

Bahahaha I almost wrote a post today saying it's just a matter of time before she claims the antiracists drove her to the alt-right but I didn't want to seem like I was writing fanfiction and welp here we are

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I saw some fat Canada geese in Seattle and they didn't honk or chase after people and the ground wasn't littered with their feces. Are west coast geese better behaved or something?

Also the ANU campus in Canberra is overrun with loving rabbits (literally). I think there's an opportunity for international trade if the experts who got rid of UVic's bunnies go and have a look. Anyone got Chrystia Freeland's number?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I actually love geese and think they're pretty and funny when they go on top of buildings and start honking like crazy like they own the land and they're telling us all to gently caress off :allears:

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

TIL that the Canada geese honk isn't so bad.

Exhibit A:
https://youtu.be/v5WmX-rnn4A

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

TIL that the Canada geese honk isn't so bad.

Exhibit A:
https://youtu.be/v5WmX-rnn4A

Holy gently caress ahahaha

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Goose poo poo on MUPs is one of the biggest reasons why I keep fenders on my gravel grinder. Getting a little mud and water sprayed in my face is one thing but ew, gross.

I'd totally hunt geese with a cricket bat if it were allowed and I knew I'd be proficient enough to put em down humanely.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

Goose poo poo on MUPs is one of the biggest reasons why I keep fenders on my gravel grinder. Getting a little mud and water sprayed in my face is one thing but ew, gross.

I'd totally hunt geese with a cricket bat if it were allowed and I knew I'd be proficient enough to put em down humanely.

jesus it's just a goose, chill

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha its not like I get irrationally angry at the thought of a goose, it's just that the birds themselves are kinda annoying and their poop does do a massive disservice to recreational green areas in the city and they're also delicious, so hey why not. Give em a whack and then fire up the BBQ. Bacon wrapped goose bites are heavenly and goose smokies rule.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I grew up on a farm, gently caress all geese forever. Speed up when you see them on the road, folks, because the goose is the chosen bird of Satan himself and their sole motivation is to destroy all humans.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now this guy here, he REALLY hates geese.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Right beside route 90 in Winnipeg right before Waverley there is/was a big open field where all the geese would lay eggs in the spring. City workers would smash all the eggs to keep the population down within the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not anymore, that's exactly what I'm referencing when I talk about people getting weepy about workers disturbing nests.

The farms on McGillvray inside the perimeter are mostly actually outside the city limits and hunting is allowed there AFAIK. I might go knock on some doors to see if I can get permission to hunt some of those lands, there are a TON of well fed geese there all summer, mooching all that grain.

EDIT: aww yiss http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/wildlife/hunting/gamebird/migratory/gha38.html

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 22, 2018