Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

MK159 posted:

Speaking of which, anyone heard of ghostfeeder? They're the replacement on the Houston bill.

I thought they were pretty good when I heard them on Spotify before the Julien-K/PIG tour, but definitely became a fan once I saw them live. Great energy and set, and was able to chat with them for a couple minutes after the show. Nice guys and I'm excited to see them again.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Edit: I really wanted to go see Night Club but they're touring with Combichrist and for obvious reasons as well as a lack of musical interest, I'm not loving going to see Combichrist.

Same. I was excited to hear they were gonna be on the east coast but then saw it was with loving Combichrist. I've got a few old Combichrist songs in my gym playlist that I like, but I don't like them or the other bands enough to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

As criminally ugly as it is stupid.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

MK159 posted:

So Tim Van Horn just left Aesthetic Perfection's live lineup, which means Daniel doesn't have a live band anymore, and has to pull out of the Covenant/Grendel/Peter Turns Pirate tour. I know people here have some mixed opinions on him, but I have to wonder how likely this was to happen, considering a lot of the tour dates already have a replacement for AP in the bill.

Speaking of which, anyone heard of ghostfeeder? They're the replacement on the Houston bill.

I ordered the flyers last week :argh:
I'm trying to figure out if I should order another set and trash the original lineup or just cross out AP.

Also Andy from Combichrist made a post yesterday saying he can't be racist since his girlfriend is Chinese. :allears:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Konstruct posted:

Also Andy from Combichrist made a post yesterday saying he can't be racist since his girlfriend is Chinese. :allears:

anyone saying "I can't be racist because _____" is basically just proving what a loving racist they are.

Unrelated to that, I really cannot be arsed with bullshit alt scene egos and sensitivity. Schwefelgelb are playing here but all the goth/industrial scene types who happily dance to their stuff at a goth/industrial club are avoiding the gig entirely because it's part of a techno night. To hell with them though, I'm happy going on my own :v:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

extradite THIS! posted:

Are you somewhere in the video? I thought I saw you at some points but am not sure! That you at 2:28-ish?

Also, Spark! have just been confirmed for WGT this year. You should definitely go if you haven't been and can make it, WGT is a fantastic time. I'd love to go this year but have other stuff that week/weekend.

I'm the white dude wearing black clothing :v:

WGT looks great but unfortunately I have a business trip that week. I wish I could make it, that lineup is incredible!

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
From my mailers today: :woop:

FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY

WARMECH

LIMITED EDITION (100 COPIES) DYSTOPIAN FUTURE HALF-HALF 2LP!

GET IT ON BANDCAMP!

Artoffact Records is proud to present Front Line Assembly's all-new soundtrack for Carbon Games' latest creation, WarMech! Head of arsenal Bill Leeb is joined by Jared Slingerland, Sasha Keevil, Craig Johnsen, and the late-great Jeremy Inkel on a tour de force 12-track full-length album that is as much electronic masterpiece as it is game soundtrack gold. WarMech ranges from industrial to ambient to techno, and will blow the minds of fans of the earlier AirMech soundtrack, as well as long-time fans of Front Line Assembly.

The album will be released on double vinyl, including black and greasy-mess versions, as well as a strictly limited (100 copies) Dystopian Future half-half effect version with both brown and yellow. The vinyl comes in a gatefold sleeve designed exclusively by Dave McKean, and you also get a collectable, branded download card. Includes exclusive BONUS material (details below). CD digipak version also available.

AirMech Wastelands expands the AirMech universe through experiencing the journey from a scavenger to a commander in the war against the machines. After global conflict erased countries and borders, automated armies continued their mission by restoring production of WarMechs to finish their directive. Do you flee the advancing threat, or join the fight to put an end to the hidden source of this new assault? Discover parts to improve your collected AirMechs and use abandoned factories to build armies of your own to take down the machines. Join forces with other pilots from the waste for co-operative online play and save humanity!

AirMech Strike is a free Player vs Player action-strategy game available on PC and Steam where you battle other AirMech pilots to dominate contested territory. Using your AirMech, a transforming mech which can fight on the ground or fly in the sky and carry your armies over the battle. Build tanks, troops, artillery and more to hold your ground or push the fight forward. Each AirMech class has unique abilities, and teaming up with other AirMechs to enter battle lets you decide the type of commander you want to be. Intense combat action and complex strategic play is the path to victory!

Exclusive FLA-game Stuff, only with vinyl or CD purchase:

WARMECH includes a game code for EXCLUSIVE ingame content for both AirMech Strike (free) and AirMech Wastelands (available for purchase seperately).

* Frontline Striker - Exclusive "Striker" class variant (skin) designed with input from FLA
* Improvised Electronic Device - Exclusive sonic Mine alternate
* Tactical Neural Implant - Exclusive special part (Wastelands only)
* Hard Wired - Exclusive electronics part (Wastelands only)
* Artificial Soldier - Exclusive Infantry enhancement Item (Wastelands only)

BONUS: EXCLUSIVE content from the original AirMech Soundtrack, available only with the Dystopian Future half-half effect vinyl (or fanpack)!

* AirMech Wastelands full game code (Steam, retail $20)
* AirMech Command (VR) full game codes (one for Steam, one for Oculus, $20)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I knew I was going to regret agreeing to go to Combichrist and telling her to get tickets.

If I had bought the tickets I'd have procrastinated and would have a good excuse not to buy them now!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If I played Airmech I'd be unreasonably excited about parts named for FLA albums.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Suicide Commando is touring again and is also actually coming to Richmond. Between that and Grendel coming here my tiny mechanical heart is all aflutter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

13Pandora13 posted:

Suicide Commando is touring again and is also actually coming to Richmond. Between that and Grendel coming here my tiny mechanical heart is all aflutter.

Weird, Providence but not Boston or New York? I'll take it, but still, weird!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Weird, Providence but not Boston or New York? I'll take it, but still, weird!

drat it, i'll be in Austin for Dreamhack that day...Fete is a really nice venue

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I've always liked Ministry, and unlike a lot of fans I have favourites from across their discography: The Land of Rape and Honey, Psalm 69, Animositisomina and Rio Grande Blood are all great in my eyes. So despite how bad their last couple of albums have been, I finally got round to listening to Amerikkkant.

It's awful, of course, but it's also awful in really weird ways.

The intro track is OK although the edited voice clips sound a lot worse than the Bush ones did and there's cheesy DJ scratching all over the place, plus it goes on too long for an intro, which turns out to be a sign of things to come. Twilight Zone has a couple of decent ideas but it feels unfinished. For a 3 minute song. But it's actually 8 minutes of meandering repetition.

The third track is kind of the same thing - 8 minutes again - but this time there's almost a riff. Like, there's guitar sounds kind of in the shape of a riff but it feels like whatever it is that turns a guitar part into a riff has been surgically removed. TV 5/4 chan is a bunch of soundbytes about race over typical TV chaos, then We're Tired of It, Wargasm and Antifa feel a bit closer to classic ministry but all run into the same problem - individual elements feel recycled from previous Ministry songs and the songs as whole aren't structured well. If you told me that Al died halfway through making this album and they just stretched the songs out to fill the album I'd believe you without question. Also those awful generic DJ scratch sounds are all over this record.

Game Over is the big anomaly here - it's still not amazing, but it does have an OK verse, an actually good chorus and some great screamy vocals near the end. It's also the one place where the Trump samples are used pretty well. Unfortunately, we then get the title track. Once again we get an OK but uninspired riff with random DJ scratching over the top, and then we get 8 minutes of weird production decisions. Notably, there's some backing vocals that seem like they should have a kind of punchy Nightwish-esque feel to them but are buried too low in the mix and feel weak and some horrifically grating metallic cymbal noises that are really jarring. And then it ends on a pointless guitar solo.

It really does feel like Al just ran out of ideas halfway (or more like quarter of the way) through making this and then just decided that stretching 3 of the tracks out to 8 minutes would fill in the gaps, but it really doesn't. I wasn't really expecting to like this album much - in fact, I wasn't expecting to like any of it as much as I did Game Over, so that's something - but I also wasn't expecting it to sound so unfinished, lazy and boring in weird ways. An album full of generic riffs, yes. This mess? This should never have been released.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I almost felt compelled to defend Ministry when somebody said they hadn’t done anything good in the last 10 years but then I remembered what year Last Sucker came out and welp.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Youth Code were good as their support but Carpenter Brut were incredible tonight. The new album sounds so awesome live!

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/idie_youdie/status/972228795611586560
Feel like anyone saying 'Worst Album EVER' needs to go relisten to some of the other post Barker material. I didn't even finish it on Spotify but it's not bad, it's just there's far better options if ya need a fix of Uncle Al. :v:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Honestly I checked out of Ministry like 10 years ago after all that bullshit about farewell tours and breaking up the band for good.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I didn’t know From Beer to Eternity even existed until I stumbled across Change of Luck on YouTube last year and I looked up where the song came from. Change of Luck is a pretty catchy but I didn’t manage to make it through the entire album.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I gave up on Ministry on Animositisomina which was painfully bad (literally, IIRC it was mixed by Al and the high end was physically painful to listen to). Then they started making poo poo metal that was so bad I retroactively started disliking even their older material.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Youth Code were good as their support but Carpenter Brut were incredible tonight. The new album sounds so awesome live!

drat I should have posted about going! I was a touch disappointed that Youth Code didn't get a longer set. Brut have a good show though even if I wasn't all that fussed about their stuff going in.

Molestationary Store posted:

https://twitter.com/idie_youdie/status/972228795611586560
Feel like anyone saying 'Worst Album EVER' needs to go relisten to some of the other post Barker material. I didn't even finish it on Spotify but it's not bad, it's just there's far better options if ya need a fix of Uncle Al. :v:

Scrub the timestamp off this and you'd be hard pressed to identify which of their albums it was about.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Animositisomina is one of their best albums, you're all insane.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

il_cornuto posted:

Animositisomina is one of their best albums, you're all insane.
It is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdOxQ2iU-ys

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah Animositisomina takes a little bit to get into but you can say it’s the last “true” Ministry album before Nu-Ministry or whatever you want to call it post-Barker. It keeps the general sonic feel of Filth Pig / Dark Side of the Spoon while being actually good (Dark Side is easily one of the most disappointing albums I own). Filth Pig has a few highlights but mostly sounds like a really mediocre Godflesh album or something.

I actually like the Bush trilogy too; maybe I have a high tolerance for cheesy metal :shrug:

It’s undeniable that Al’s mixing skills got worse as his hearing degraded. Psalm 69 had excellent mixing but by Ani it was significantly degraded. The super-boosted treble is pretty textbook for someone dealing with tinnitus.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Come on, guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZfVidaSLe0

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Saw Schwefelgelb last night at a packed-to-the walls local techno night, and they were absolutely banging. There were maybe only 1 or 2 other local industrial scene folks there, but it was awesome seeing them live and going down a storm with folk who are full on techno scene types.

Funniest part of the night was that because I was a bit older than a lot of the punters, when I went to the toilet the folk there kept getting really nervous (since it was pretty clear they weren't there to answer a call of nature) and asked if I was a bouncer, since I was wearing black and apparently look like I work out #EBMbroproblems

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ok yeah

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

So i know The Soft Moon as this quiet ethereal post-punkish band.

I like this remix!

https://soundcloud.com/moris-blak/burn-moris-blak-vision

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

One of the last classic-lineup PWEI shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBZUPFd37aQ

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to the 2007 album Cruel Melody by Black Light Burns, one of Wes Borland's bands. It's catchy, well-made industrial-ish rock pop.

But then I suddenly got weird shades of Pig's last album, which Mark Thwaite did a lot of work on. They're not that similar but some of the guitar work rings a bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZ9m9iiI70

Maybe nobody else will hear it and it's just all in my head.

Anyways, Thwaite is not in Black Light Burns and didn't work on it. He is something of a hired-gun session and touring guitarist for various gothic and industrial rock artists. Well, he does good work, but also did a lot for The Mission, which is the most hilariously dramatic goth band IMO, which I'd liken to a gothic U2 and gothic Bono:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLwmJr6XpJk

I mean, that bellowing is really over the top.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 27, 2018

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm seeing Youth Code in just a bit :hellyeah:

Oh and I guess Carpenter Brut is also there.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

extradite THIS! posted:

:yosnice:

Enjoy!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

extradite THIS! posted:

Both outstanding! I'm quite jealous!

https://twitter.com/robmanuel/status/971811210290135046

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Youth Code was great and it was awesome to see that a lot of people had come in early to catch then. Not sure if a lot of them really got them, though, there was next to no movement in the crowd. Something weird apparently happened to Ryan's sampler during the show and he was going all :confused: :confused: at it for a while. I think we missed out on 1-2 songs because of that. Good poo poo anyway.

Carpenter Brut looked great and sounded good but the music just for whatever reason elicits no emotion or reaction in me other than :shrug: so I left after 40-ish minutes. I've tried listening to them several times before but it's like I'm listening to nothing. Everyone else was super into it, though, maybe I'm just broken.

However, their intro tape was AFRICA and that was very good.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Killing Joke will attempt to tour the US in September for their 40th anniversary tour

Only one date in the Midwest this time, lol. Lucky for me, I live in Chicago. Hope they don't play Thalia Hall again with the Soft Moon opening.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I don't know if this is the right place for this but I really like the new video from Rummelsnuff & Asbach so I thought that I'd share it with you fine people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SN0pSMsvpM

I mean, look at this beautiful thing:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kamrat posted:

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I really like the new video from Rummelsnuff & Asbach so I thought that I'd share it with you fine people.

:perfect:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Land of Rape and Honey, The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste and Psalm 69 are the only good Ministry albums, but Animositisomina is ok.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Hm, Twitch ain't bad and there's bits of the W trilogy that are good, but Land/Mind/Psalm is indeed the holy trinity of mainline Ministry projects.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Kamrat posted:

this.....is....incredible

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Kamrat posted:

I have had this in my head all day, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. That video is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure this belongs here :shobon:

Danheim released a new album.

https://danheim.bandcamp.com

quote:

A Danish viking music project, inspired by old scandinavian instruments and sounds blended with modern ways to enchance the experience and sound.

I'd say it falls somewhere between Dark Ambient and Martial Folk. They showed up in my Gplay feed and I've been pleasantly surprised with how good their albums are.