Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Homura and Sickle posted:

yeah this basically summarizes my assessment of the show. its got loving amazing tearjerker moments but also has hysterical comedic bits. just a masterfully done work all around

I'd say it's the best anime of the season but I haven't been watching a lot of shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
antarctica is ins anely good, its way better at the drama than the comedy. the final scene of this ep was constructed almost perfectly, the way it was paced out, the way it uses the audience's understanding of mundane activities, dont even need to say a word

the netflix aico show is also pretty deece, its pure sci fi, everything is constructed in a logical way, most characters are intelligent and understanding of one another regardless of their origins (except for the villain, who's easily the weakest part of the show, and needed to be included to have a rationale to shoot things)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I have a hard time picking a clear favorite just because there's also stuff like yuru camp and march lion S2 also airing right now and it's hard comparing them all, but it really is superb.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Yuru Camp is really good but at the same time it's exactly what I'd expect from the premise. Antarctica goes above and beyond.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yuru Camp, Violet, and Antarctica are fighting for my top 3 right now. Violet was pretty weak early on, but it's gone a real tear lately IMO. Could take number 1 if Antartica messes up the finale somehow and Violet just keeps hitting home runs all the way to the finish.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yuru Camp is the best because it doesn't mind if you pick something else: As long as you have fun, Yuru Camp is all "Cool beans, dude! Want some of this ramen?". It's the most-understanding show of the season, and for that alone, it beats Sora Yori. Also, the crying. Goddamn, the crying. :cry:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yuru Camp, Violet, and Antarctica are fighting for my top 3 right now. Violet was pretty weak early on, but it's gone a real tear lately IMO. Could take number 1 if Antartica messes up the finale somehow and Violet just keeps hitting home runs all the way to the finish.

Having seen exactly none of these but the first two eps of VE, I look forward to clearing this backlog.

Glad to hear it was a good season.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Wark Say posted:

Yuru Camp is the best because it doesn't mind if you pick something else: As long as you have fun, Yuru Camp is all "Cool beans, dude! Want some of this ramen?". It's the most-understanding show of the season, and for that alone, it beats Sora Yori. Also, the crying. Goddamn, the crying. :cry:

Wark, have you seen How to Keep A Mummy? I think you would like it.
|
I really should watch YuruCamp too...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So anyone else been watching B: The Beginning on Netflix? I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Also checked out A.I.C.O.: Incarnation and good loving grief, I haven't heard a dub that bad in a looooong time. It is some fan-dub quality terrible.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Yurucamp ended today and man it was pretty much the best. We must all hope to someday be as awesome as Rin's grandfather. Also that we get a season 2

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I put the first three eps of B on my tablet but who knows when I'll actually get around to watching them lol

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Meanwhile, on a poorly animated series...

These are just some of the QUALITY bits. If I were to post them all, it'd just be the whole episode.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah you just needed to look at the starting opening sequence to know that Marchen Madchen's production is hosed.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Nice post/av combo.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fangz posted:

Yeah you just needed to look at the starting opening sequence to know that Marchen Madchen's production is hosed.

They took 7 episodes to get the OP finished.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Hopefully this is the worst of it given that it just got back from a two week hiatus of fixing their poo poo. Chances are, this one was already in the can and they needed to better spend their time working on the next few episodes which are a lot more action heavy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xelkelvos posted:

Hopefully this is the worst of it given that it just got back from a two week hiatus of fixing their poo poo. Chances are, this one was already in the can and they needed to better spend their time working on the next few episodes which are a lot more action heavy.

You didn't see the twitter thread posted on the Spring Season thread?

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/976829455279771648

If people are starting to disown the project, I really don't see things improving.

Jackard posted:

Nice post/av combo.

Yeah I love this avatar :)

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 22, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
now i want to watch it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

now i want to watch it

At its core, it's an ensemble moe series like Girls und Panzer except instead of tanks, it's fables (though the American team has "Stardust Wars" and "Zombie" so :shrug: ). Unfortunately, production has pretty much gone to poo poo and the author's already dead so there's not really much else for this series and source material and will probably end up with all of the other forgotten series to only be remembered because of its production issues.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that's not quite how it's going down. the author died when this was in the planning stages, and the project continued after his passing, so the light novels are being written by one or multiple people under a pseudonym, kind of like how zero no tsukaima was finished posthumously.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Space Flower posted:

that's not quite how it's going down. the author died when this was in the planning stages, and the project continued after his passing, so the light novels are being written by one or multiple people under a pseudonym, kind of like how zero no tsukaima was finished posthumously.

Ah, I didn't know that. It's still very unfortunate.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So anyone else been watching B: The Beginning on Netflix? I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Also checked out A.I.C.O.: Incarnation and good loving grief, I haven't heard a dub that bad in a looooong time. It is some fan-dub quality terrible.

B is pretty good. The supernatural bits are not as great as the parts that focus more on the murder plot and Keith Flick, but it builds great characters that work well together.

A.I.C.O is...okay. That dub is super poo poo awful. Really bad. The story itself is fine, and there was some surprises. However it really felt like things sped up or went to slow and the “villain” was incredibly dull and the ending to his story was one of the biggest “wait, that’s how everything gets fixed?” reactions I’ve had. The story is better well built than B, but it doesn’t feel like anybody cared to put into heart into it.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I finished B today and I enjoyed it. It built an intriguing little world and even had a nice little twist at the end. Would watch more. AICO is on the ever-growing list...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Ah, I didn't know that. It's still very unfortunate.

yeah, it is rather unfortunate that znt got finished in any form.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Znt was a classic of my 13 year old anime experience please be nice

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Zero no Tsukaima was "Harry Potter but anime!". And with a harem.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Did he end up with the queen or was it a bad end?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
B is a bit of a mess but the detective side story is filled with some excellent characters. It also looks great through and through, I don't remember a single time where it went off-model.

AICO is a very straightforward story, most of the twists in the story are quite logical. Not as much heart, but there are a few good characters in there. It doesn't always look great, half the characters are wearing helmets and suits making them hard to tell apart, and their suits have a complex design, meaning that for some cuts their models go completely off as the individual animator can't quite work out how things are meant to bend or rotate.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Zero no Tsukaima was "Harry Potter but anime!". And with a harem.

You made me remember I watched Maburaho. :argh: I think that was the first time I watched an anime and was able to recognize it as "bad".
I didn't like ZnK but I can see why people liked it; Maburaho had no redeeming qualities.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

B is pretty good. The supernatural bits are not as great as the parts that focus more on the murder plot and Keith Flick, but it builds great characters that work well together.

It really does feel like someone mashed two different series together, and I'd dearly love to see a series that is just pure "Keith Flick and the RIS solve Crimes."

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It really does feel like someone mashed two different series together, and I'd dearly love to see a series that is just pure "Keith Flick and the RIS solve Crimes."

Yeah, that would make for an excellent show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
every time the hilarious edgelord kid showed up i could hear the kaidou shun musical cue

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sora Yori and Violet Evergarden are the clear stand outs of the season imo. They're just a cut above and I think between the two of them I've cried more this season than any other.

Franxx, Yurucamp, Kokkoku and Takagi-san are also really very strong shows are real stand outs in their genres. I thought Mitsuboshi Colors was kind of underrated too, I really like that show and those rear end in a top hat kids.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Also! Hakumei & Mikochi

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Sora Yori and Violet Evergarden are the clear stand outs of the season imo. They're just a cut above and I think between the two of them I've cried more this season than any other.

Franxx, Yurucamp, Kokkoku and Takagi-san are also really very strong shows are real stand outs in their genres. I thought Mitsuboshi Colors was kind of underrated too, I really like that show and those rear end in a top hat kids.

Huh. For some reason I thought that Violet Evergarden had been a disappointment.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

gmq posted:

Huh. For some reason I thought that Violet Evergarden had been a disappointment.

its a slow burn

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I think there was some weird edgy blowback to it initially when people wanted to say it was bland and overhyped. But then it actually lived up to the hype.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i just didn't, well, like the first episode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I just think Violet Evergarden is kind of bland. The visual style is very pretty but kind of hides a lot of the great character animation in some ways, and it feels a little plastic-y I guess. And I'm still not really invested in any of the characters and the show's nearly over. There's been a few solid episodes and I'd never say it was a bad show, but yeah, it all just comes across very lifeless to me. But then, its visual style - and even writing style - is basically the complete opposite of what I like in anime, so.

IMO i think its kinda weird to dismiss all criticism as 'edgy blowback.' I'm sure there was some since people get weird about KyoAni, but.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The first half of the show was pretty hit-or-miss for me and the visual style, while technically living up to the hype, isn't my absolute favorite, but the last....4 or 5 consecutive episodes or so have all been really good and really raised my opinion of the show overall. Plus I thought Antarctica kind of slowed down a bit after the trip actually started (until the most recent ep anyway), which gave Evergarden some room to catch up instead of letting Antarctica run away with it.

• Locked thread