Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Back to the tea again jesus.

Edit GOD drat IT CATTE TAXXE AGAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Adiabatic posted:

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

Hi hello please remember to discuss ideas and not people when talking about the worst possible topic ever: politics.

Acting as if your political opinion is the only relevant opinion will not be tolerated. Acting as if someone else is somehow not a good person, or is intentionally trolling you, because they share differing views than you will also not be tolerated.

When reading something you do not like, please stop and consider that you may be about to react without logical insight on a subject, or may be too emotionally charged about that subject, and may be about to devolve a conversation into a slapfight. If you do this I will be very angry.

If you think this incredibly general, bi-partisan post is singling you and/or your compatriots out, you are too emotionally charged and should take a 10 minute breather or a warm bubble bath or get some sleepytime tea.

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

Quoting for new page.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

epic bird guy posted:

Saab 9-5 Arc. Not super sporty but not a dog either. I drive pretty commuter-ey most of the time.

You're not going to get a hell of lot out of dedicated summers (that will wear quickly) compared to touring tires on something like that. Especially with commuter driving. Don't drop the cash on something you can't wring the last penny out of.

I'm still definitely saying get non-winter tires. Just not dedicated high performance summers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Treating people the same is now racist. Love you guys.

Oh yeah? so what were you trying to say with this post?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

Back to the tea again jesus.

Edit GOD drat IT CATTE TAXXE AGAIN

A good Catte Toll.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Motronic posted:

You're not going to get a hell of lot out of dedicated summers (that will wear quickly) compared to touring tires on something like that. Especially with commuter driving. Don't drop the cash on something you can't wring the last penny out of.

I'm still definitely saying get non-winter tires. Just not dedicated high performance summers.

and I'm of the mind that you want the best tires you can buy because tires are everything. Quick maneuvers, braking performance, all that comes down to tires and better tires = better time with emergencies.

Really though just buy good tires, it kinda sounds like we're past the point of diminishing returns here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A good Catte Toll.

He's a tricky lil jerk. He's like "oh yeah pet my belly HAHA I WILL BITE YOUR ARM TRICKED ARE YOU."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BraveUlysses posted:

Oh yeah? so what were you trying to say with this post?

gently caress it I'll eat the probe or ban.

That he's a racist piece of poo poo, who got the no politic chat thread implemented the last time. Last time it was about guns, which the current mod loves, so it just got politics in general banned.

In reality he's a small minded, racist gently caress who dog whistles his way through all of these threads each month whenever any of this poo poo comes up. His title is blank because he gets red texts or bans off his lovely posts, which inevitably piss people off.

Then he gets ozmiander to back him up and make it seem like it's okay, to see if the dogwhistle worked and anyone else will come onboard.

Then everyone but those two eat probes or bans off adi (who is normally a great mod) because they agree on one topic. Thankfully that topic isn't the one at hand. Which is the fact that ilkhan is a racist gently caress who continually posts as such with zero consequence in AI.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You seem kind of mad that I think your ideal are wrong.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah, since I walked in on a friend of mine beaten to death by skinheads at a show I tend to loving hate racists.

Funny how that works.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What makes you think I'm a racist?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

can we go back to talking about my lovely childhood?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Really though just buy good tires, it kinda sounds like we're past the point of diminishing returns here.

Yeah, I drive an econobox (literally a box) and getting summer tires woke it up quite a bit over the all seasons that were on it. To me it's worth the wear to have good performance tires, it's the easiest/best way to improve a car imo.

That's assuming the suspension and alignment is in order :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Re: tire chat for the bird individual. Get a dedicated set of winter tires (Blizzaks are my go to) and good all seasons. The best all season passenger car tire I’ve ever had are the Continental DWS. Great traction even in snowy salt lake winters and low road noise as they age. The ride is compliant and comfortable. A+ rating from me. I’ve got some on my beater Mazda6 and will be replacing them with the exact same thing later this year.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Rhyno, got any of your hot sauce to sell?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Rhyno, got any of your hot sauce to sell?

Uh, soon? The honeymoon tossed a wrench into sauce making.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Uh, soon? The honeymoon tossed a wrench into sauce making.

It should have increased it.

:v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If yours is that color you should see a doctor.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

That he's a racist piece of poo poo, who got the no politic chat thread implemented the last time. Last time it was about guns, which the current mod loves, so it just got politics in general banned.

In reality he's a small minded, racist gently caress who dog whistles his way through all of these threads each month whenever any of this poo poo comes up. His title is blank because he gets red texts or bans off his lovely posts, which inevitably piss people off.

Then he gets ozmiander to back him up and make it seem like it's okay, to see if the dogwhistle worked and anyone else will come onboard.

Then everyone but those two eat probes or bans off adi (who is normally a great mod) because they agree on one topic. Thankfully that topic isn't the one at hand. Which is the fact that ilkhan is a racist gently caress who continually posts as such with zero consequence in AI.
Real talk I am not even sure if you are racist, or talking about white guilt or what I can’t make sense of what you are saying. Not trolling really I ha e no idea what you are talking/arguing about. Can we just talk about cars and poo poo?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Anyway I ordered a TIG welder because welding thin Nissan flooring/transmission tunnel metal to thicker metal with a MIG sucks and I want to learn TIG.

I've been marveling at the pretty TIG welding but then I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKJTvfOH5B0

gently caress yeah, I don't care how pretty it looks as long as it's properly good.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I didn’t realize that dealing with racists using dog whistles itt was a political matter instead of fuckin awful shitposter issue so idk why adi is trying to pass the buck on this one

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
^^^^ you're alright TT :v:

Rhyno posted:

If yours is that color you should see a doctor.

I thought only red fluids were supposed to come out if your body?

gently caress.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

iwentdoodie posted:

Wait you think I banned politics because I like guns?

I banned politics because it does exactly what it just did here, turned everyone from friendly folk talking about eachothers issues and helping eachother, to ravenous dingleberries jumping at eachothers' throats. If it's just ilkhan and/or ozimander I'll make sure to ding them appropriately but frankly I'm concerned about the level of "this dude's a piece of poo poo because he doesn't agree with me" going on.

If ilkhan were to come in here and say something racist out of the blue I'd obviously ding him, but he was responding to nm's post about race with his own view and y'all jumped on him about it. Easiest way to make sure that doesn't happen is to ban the practice of talking about politically charged issues, but I want y'all to be able to do it, so be adults about it please.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I didn’t realize that dealing with racists using dog whistles itt was a political matter instead of fuckin awful shitposter issue so idk why adi is trying to pass the buck on this one

See this is the "your opinion is super wrong and therefore you're subhuman" poo poo I'm talking about.

Quit being emotionally charged about issues or don't respond to issues.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

If it's just ilkhan and/or ozimander

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

I banned politics because it does exactly what it just did here, turned everyone from friendly folk talking about eachothers issues and helping eachother, to ravenous dingleberries jumping at eachothers' throats. If it's just ilkhan and/or ozimander I'll make sure to ding them appropriately but frankly I'm concerned about the level of "this dude's a piece of poo poo because he doesn't agree with me" going on.

If ilkhan were to come in here and say something racist out of the blue I'd obviously ding him, but he was responding to nm's post about race with his own view and y'all jumped on him about it. Easiest way to make sure that doesn't happen is to ban the practice of talking about politically charged issues, but I want y'all to be able to do it, so be adults about it please.

See this is the "your opinion is super wrong and therefore you're subhuman" poo poo I'm talking about.

It's not "this dude's a piece of poo poo because he doesn't agree with me", it's "this dude has a pattern of varying levels of racist shitposting and it's ripping a hole in the community unabated".

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Adiabatic posted:

If it's just ilkhan and/or ozimander

Hey now you get it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Gingerbread House Music posted:

What makes you think I'm a racist?

:allears:

Adiabatic posted:

guess what it's not "politics chat" that went poorly, it's the usual shitposters doin what they do

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KakerMix posted:

and I'm of the mind that you want the best tires you can buy because tires are everything. Quick maneuvers, braking performance, all that comes down to tires and better tires = better time with emergencies.

I'm not talking about quality here.....we apparently agree on that. We're talking about purpose.

$500 a piece drag slicks are pretty obviously inferior to $150/pc touring tires when you are commuting. Price isn't everything here.

Adiabatic posted:

I banned politics because it does exactly what it just did here

What do I click on to make all of this go away? I have opinions on it, none are relevant in an automotive chat thread. So please gently caress the gently caress off and keep them out of here.

Kazinsal posted:

It's not "this dude's a piece of poo poo because he doesn't agree with me", it's "this dude has a pattern of varying levels of racist shitposting and it's ripping a hole in the community unabated".

And it would be over already if you and others didn't engage. It's not relevant. Let it the gently caress go. Nobody other than the people arguing cares. And the people arguing are the minority, ruining it for everyone else with their keyboard diarrhea. Seriously loving drop it. If you don't realize you are part of the problem because you are keeping this going you are an idiot.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

this

also

Adiabatic posted:

but he was responding to nm's post about race with his own view and y'all jumped on him about it. Easiest way to make sure that doesn't happen is to ban the practice of talking about politically charged issues, but I want y'all to be able to do it, so be adults about it please.

his view is literal dogwhistle racism, it's not some political point that separates the conservatives from the liberals, it's not something that congress argue about, it's purestrain "this is how fellow racists identify each other without using the n-word"

my post is naturally "your opinion is super wrong and therefore youre subhuman" because it was a loving racist post

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Things were a lot smoother ITT when politics were banned, just sayin

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't even know that there was a whistle that caused racists to assemble.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I think Nissan Pulsars are criminally overlooked and I want one let’s chat

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

The issue here tho is that the responses expressed by the posters in question were close to, if not actual, dog whistles that white nationalists use that seem like they are trying to hold a rational debate, when that is far from what they are trying to do.

Now wether or not they are racists I do not express an opinion on, but the language they are using is a concern. As I earlier said, it would have been wise to avoid using said language if they wish to speak on such issues - and I might also add as my opinion, an adult response is to jump on said loaded language, call it out and then be prepared to explain why it is a concern so others may be aware of it as in my experience, it is rarely used by mistake.

I think it actually reflects well on AI that posters already can recognize the loaded language and are prepared to question it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Things were a lot smoother ITT when politics were banned, just sayin

:emptyquote:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like do you put your fingers in your mouth and SEIG HEIL with the other hand?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Motronic posted:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Re: tire chat for the bird individual. Get a dedicated set of winter tires (Blizzaks are my go to) and good all seasons. The best all season passenger car tire I’ve ever had are the Continental DWS. Great traction even in snowy salt lake winters and low road noise as they age. The ride is compliant and comfortable. A+ rating from me. I’ve got some on my beater Mazda6 and will be replacing them with the exact same thing later this year.

Glad to see that my indecision is validated by varying opinions. I'm not ready too pull the trigger yet, just planning ahead for spring, not helped by the fact that I got a tire rack catalog in the mail.

My current set of winters are Blizzaks, so I'm in good shape there.

Adiabatic posted:

or get some sleepytime tea.

Going with throat coat since I have a cold :11tea:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Throat coat is good stuff. Feel better!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I didn't even know that there was a whistle that caused racists to assemble.

Lol it did the opposite and called everyone else to the loving thread.

Seriously, I understand some of you guys get pissed but you just make it worse, textbook feeding the loving troll come on.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The issue here tho is that the responses expressed by the posters in question were close to, if not actual, dog whistles that white nationalists use that seem like they are trying to hold a rational debate, when that is far from what they are trying to do.

Now wether or not they are racists I do not express an opinion on, but the language they are using is a concern. As I earlier said, it would have been wise to avoid using said language if they wish to speak on such issues - and I might also add as my opinion, an adult response is to jump on said loaded language, call it out and then be prepared to explain why it is a concern so others may be aware of it as in my experience, it is rarely used by mistake.

I think it actually reflects well on AI that posters already can recognize the loaded language and are prepared to question it.

Quite obviously you're a SJW and are racist against white males, who are the most oppressed demographic in every society ever. Furthermore,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So uh, onto other things.

My wife got a new job so we went out to celebrate and got hit-and-runed

Already filed the police report and going to start a claim with insurance tomorrow. There was a camera on an adjacent building but the security guard wasn't helpful. So hopefully police or insurance can convince them to give up the footage.

Fun night otherwise.

• Locked thread