Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

geeves posted:

Not downplaying this at all, but I think the horror episode at the Chatwin house Martin is raped. Eliot's response (then later juxtaposed with Julia) is when the show found its voice.

For me it was when "Top bitch in New York, for starters." was introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

geeves posted:

Not downplaying this at all, but I think the horror episode at the Chatwin house Martin is raped. Eliot's response (then later juxtaposed with Julia) is when the show found its voice.

It's a super super tricky subject to handle well, in particular in a show that's not always serious, but they've done it exceedingly well. It's the moment I went "Holy gently caress this show is not going to play this safe." Up until then I was thinking it'd be a 'how bad can this get?' situation where the worst that would happen would be accidentally killing the poor school mascot dog.

Then they make it real clear that no, this show is not going to stick to safe, in a really major fashion.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Maybe I’m just misremembering but I thought everybody in fillory had magic abilities before it all vanished. But the scene with the king/queen people suggested otherwise. Are the human looking people in fillory humans?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

User posted:

Bullshit. If he promised never to hurt another soul ever again in some kind of binding geas sort of way it wouldn't have reduced her thirst for vengeance an iota. Keeping him from doing it again is a nice bonus, but it clearly wasn't her motivation.

Agree to disagree. Doesn't change the differences between her situation and Alice's one iota anyway.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe I’m just misremembering but I thought everybody in fillory had magic abilities before it all vanished. But the scene with the king/queen people suggested otherwise. Are the human looking people in fillory humans?

I think it's the same as on Earth. Some people have the innate ability to do magic but they still have to learn how. Fillory had the knowledge of HOW to do magic, presumably because their kings/queens bring the knowledge from Earth. Other factions COULD have people do magic if they knew how. But I also thought the northerners did magic when they initially attacked Fillory, though I'm not certain.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

How are fairies weak without deals if they have magic? Seems like that would put them ahead of non-magic types like the Lorians.

Also, what do we think will happen to Irene, the lady who escaped the red wedding dinner?

recall that back at the beginning of all this questing business, in the convo between Eliot and the Great Cock, both of them seemed to take it more or less for granted that, armed once more with magic, the earthling monarchs would be able to resolve the faerie occupation of fillory in short order. from the available evidence, it looks like when human magicians and faeries butt heads it comes out much, much worse for the faeries

e:

ten_twentyfour posted:

I think it's the same as on Earth. Some people have the innate ability to do magic but they still have to learn how. Fillory had the knowledge of HOW to do magic, presumably because their kings/queens bring the knowledge from Earth. Other factions COULD have people do magic if they knew how. But I also thought the northerners did magic when they initially attacked Fillory, though I'm not certain.

back in the previous season the main characters really looked down on the mojo of the lorian magicians they had to deal with. i recall somebody explicitly making fun of how lorian magicians actually use wands

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming that fairy magic can be super powerful when combined with deals seeing as it was impossible to remove the collars before the Queen negated it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, I think that fairy deals are basically limitless, with them being capable of doing things like cleaning the wellspring but on their own they can't stand up to magicians dedicated to opposing them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I sorta assumed that the idea of them being "defenseless" was kind of just an exaggeration from history of being helpless. They've been oppressed and brutalized before so they fear it happening again. Even if they've got the power to fight it they still worry it will never be enough. There's real world examples of what I'm thinking but I feel weird drawing those comparisons.

But I guess it makes sense that their powers used for self might be more limited than their deal powers. Plus if they can be decapitated and mutilated it means even with magic they can get killed by a sword or gun.

And the queen just made a deal that made an entire land of people they're occupying able to see them. So that probably will have repercussions.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Crabby stabby

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah this seems to be leading to a compromise and peace between most people in Fillory with the Faeries given some land to mushroom up and chill in after they lose their key, Lorian being taught magic and chill because of that, and I think the floaters are the guys we'll see Margot and Eliot full on fingerbanging into oblivion once they have magic back because they just don't want to deal with their crazy bullshit, maybe with some backup from Lorian too. I mean there's no way we get a big ol' battle scene, but I'm betting on Margot coming up with a fun way to kill her unconsummated creepy husband and the smother.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
since fillory barely has an army i'm not sure what a 'big battle scene' would possibly be in this context anyway

i'm fine with something like Julia wrecking the forest of recalcitrant trees, a few explosions in the background and we're good

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, season 1 was rough; season 2 was a lot better.

So far season 3 is excellent. Communicating in code using pop culture references was inspired, and I just heard "as someone born in 1902, I find a heterosexual white male hero very relatable." Maybe it's because I'm drunk, but the writing and delivery on that line made it some of the funniest poo poo I've heard in a while.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I still don't love it like others do but it's learned to lean hard into the absurd and meta and smarmy (over the manic depression that was so much of the first season+) and that's produced some really great gags.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I found the series on Netflix and watched the first season expecting it to be terrible. I barely even try to bring the show up to friends since a brief description still sounds stupid. Like you have to include “...but it’s good though”.

I kind of group The Magicians with Fringe in my mind. They are both way better than they should be and it’s all in the details.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SLOSifl posted:

I kind of group The Magicians with Fringe in my mind. They are both way better than they should be and it’s all how sassy Margot is.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Fringe had a much better blonde.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Fringe had a much better blonde.

Your trolling is way too obvious here.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
I'd take Alice over Olivia any day. In terms of universes I'd rather live in The Magicians' universe. In terms of shows I'd take Fringe. I'm all over the place with my support.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Don't see the problem. Olivia was more fun as a redhead anyway.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Don't see the problem. Olivia was more fun as a redhead anyway.

Fauxlivia wore the gently caress out of her cargo pants.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just said "gently caress" really loud.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

muscles like this! posted:

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
I really want to join a radish smuggling operation now.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Guys we really need Tinkerbitch’s help to get the key.

edit: I jumped in here because the “previously on” made no sense. I’m only halfway through on DVR but alt-Josh just mentioned werewolves. Did they seriously give us an alternative timeline previously-on and if so that is drat good.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 22, 2018

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

RIP Dick Josh.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Margot is still the best

"Julia and the Fairy Queen are...kind of friends"

"loving what?"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SLOSifl posted:

Guys we really need Tinkerbitch’s help to get the key.

edit: I jumped in here because the “previously on” made no sense. I’m only halfway through on DVR but alt-Josh just mentioned werewolves. Did they seriously give us an alternative timeline previously-on and if so that is drat good.

Wait. That werewolf scene. You're saying that wasnt in previous episodes? Because I though I just forgot it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I feel like our Josh was bitten by a werewolf, he just lied to dick Josh.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Timeline 40 something Josh did acquire lycanthropy, he implied as much to Penny after 20 something timeline Josh died.

Were-Josh was pissing in the corner in a cell at the same time they locked Q up when Alice was trying the break out of his cacodemon hole last season.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Also this show continues to be way better than it has any right to be.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like our Josh was bitten by a werewolf, he just lied to dick Josh.

Our Josh has said a few times he slept with a werewolf of spring break, right? I’m pretty sure he bragged about that as soon as he was rescued.

He just hasn’t yet had a flare up of sexually transmitted lycanthropy yet. I don’t recall seeing him transformed previously aside from this episode’s recap.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Josh Lyman posted:

Also this show continues to be way better than it has any right to be.

At this point, I think it's maybe the best show currently airing. There are better shows, but they aren't on the air. I've thankfully been successful in convincing some friends to push past the rough season one, and they're now into it. But they're still not caught up, so I really can't talk about it with anyone.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Another awesome ep. This is probably my favorite show that's currently airing.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
It was definitely a fun episode. Mirror Universe eps can be done so well if given the chance.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
What's going to be interesting is that now we have two Pennys and an alive Miranda.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nihonniboku posted:

What's going to be interesting is that now we have two Pennys and an alive Miranda.

NuPenny is clearly a way for OG Penny to get a new body.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Rhyno posted:

NuPenny is clearly a way for OG Penny to get a new body.

Yeah, but will it be through incredible tragedy or will the incredible tragedy be the mind horror of having two souls inhabit one body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, but will it be through incredible tragedy or will the incredible tragedy be the mind horror of having two souls inhabit one body?

Why not both?