Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Grim Up North posted:

Does the no rentals rule also apply to demonstration cars? The one I'm eyeing has 8000km on it and is 10 months old.

What kind of car is it, out of curiosity? That will determine whether this is a bad idea or an awful idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What kind of car is it, out of curiosity? That will determine whether this is a bad idea or an awful idea.

Hellcat? :getin:

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That bad, huh? I'm looking at Opel Astra's and Insignia's which are I guess small and medium family cars.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
That's wasn't a demo, that was either a journalist car or the lets get lunch car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Considering groupe PSA will pay you to buy an Opel I don't see why you'd subject yourself to a demo

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Never buy a demo ever. Demos are the nut low. A loving salvage title would be a better gamble.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A demo Hellcat? :pwn:

So it's already on the third set of rear tires.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gently caress yes buy a demo hellcat, and then dump the clutch at every light. That's what its life has been for the last year anyway.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How much damage can you possibly do in 8000km..........

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

shovelbum posted:

Challenge accepted!

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

shovelbum posted:

I'm not sure if this is a joke post or not, but if it isn't, and for the benefit of anyone who is not car knowledgeable reading this thread: even with modern engine controls limiting RPM and managing temp, you can totally destroy a brand new car in minutes much less thousands of miles.

Some damage is obvious and repairable, like tires, brakes, ect. But once you overheat the engine and damage the piston rings, or damage the transmission or differential doing burnouts or whatever, or smoke the clutch, it's not only difficult to determine, but massively diminishes the value of the vehicle.

And if you're curious if this poo poo really happens to rental vehicles, absolutely:

https://youtu.be/8k58Hs4aqs4?t=5m2s
https://youtu.be/8k58Hs4aqs4?t=10m25s

https://youtu.be/oLt_v4zlgMQ?t=1m15s

https://youtu.be/qe-F4KEKyvQ

https://youtu.be/5iLIZ08eC7k

https://jalopnik.com/5932640/why-a-rental-car-is-the-fastest-car-youll-ever-have

Unload My Head fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 16, 2018

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wait, that jalopnik article is talking about basically wrecking rentals for fun, does this not hit your own actual insurance?

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Only if you don't pay for the CDW.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I have nothing specific yet, but can I get a run on what cars have an elevated ride height? My mother-in-law is going to be in the market for a used car (or new depending on price) and prefers a sedan with an elevated ride height. I'm pretty sure that leaves Buicks.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Sedan" plus "ride height" equals crossover.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Another good article to file away for the "you don't need AWD, you need winter tires" conversation - https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/03/car-safety-tech-has-never-been-better-but-winter-driving-remains-all-about-tires/

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Sedan" plus "ride height" equals crossover.

No, it equals outback sus you unsophisticated clod.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

No, it equals outback sus you unsophisticated clod.

Volvo S60 Cross Country!!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Internet Explorer posted:

Another good article to file away for the "you don't need AWD, you need winter tires" conversation - https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/03/car-safety-tech-has-never-been-better-but-winter-driving-remains-all-about-tires/

im nice and flobbery

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

I like winter tires as much as the next guy but don't they break down rapidly at/above 45? Like the idea that you need winter tires anywhere that sees the forties regularly seems like very expensive overkill

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I ran winter tires in North Carolina and the wear wasn't too bad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shovelbum posted:

I like winter tires as much as the next guy but don't they break down rapidly at/above 45? Like the idea that you need winter tires anywhere that sees the forties regularly seems like very expensive overkill

Some do most somewhere above that.....which is why they are WINTER TIRES, meaning you need a different set of tires/wheels for non-winter.

Turns out, this works out in the long term because you don't put all of your miles on both sets of tires at the same time.

Winter wheels and tires hell yeah:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, it's not like they literally melt into gumballs once it gets warm out.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Yeah driving around in winter tires when it's warm is a great way to waste money because they will wear out faster. Plus they are flobbery. Having two sets is the way to go and the extra expense of dedicated wheels (steelies) is pretty minimal if spread out over their lifetime.

Sits on Pilster fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 21, 2018

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The problem is in many parts of the world you have wide seasonal temperature swings, especially now thanks to global warming.

In New England for instance, from October thru April it can be 10 degrees one day and 55 the next.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah but occasional 55 isn't what will wear out your winter tires much faster, it's steady 85 that does that

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah but occasional 55 isn't what will wear out your winter tires much faster, it's steady 85 that does that

in NC it can be 10 for a week and then 75 for a week lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The problem is in many parts of the world you have wide seasonal temperature swings, especially now thanks to global warming.

In New England for instance, from October thru April it can be 10 degrees one day and 55 the next.

there are really not that many days that are going to do significant harm to your winter tires in New England

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I want to go driving off-road around Southern California. Not trying to rock crawl, but mainly overland stuff, exploring, camping, etc.

I want to bring other people as well as stuff, so something with four doors. Pickups are okay too.

4WD with a real low range gearbox sounds like a good idea, but how necessary is it? Ground clearance and good tires are a must, but will AWD cut it?

Looking for four door 4WD puts me in a situation - there aren't a ton of models that do this, or any that depreciate how I'd like them to.

Budget is under $5k/200k miles for a second vehicle, or under $20k/75k miles as a daily driver. Under $5k would include parts to get it running safe and reliable, not necessarily counting off-road upgrades (tires, skid plates, etc.)

A 4Runner probably isn't going to fit those constraints.

I'm not sure I could daily drive a Wrangler Unlimited. I just don't like the ride, and have reliability concerns.

Where am I at here? XTerras and Pathfinders under $5k? Jeep Cherokee? I don't think there's anything modern with real 4WD that's going to fit my daily driver rules?

Am I getting unrealistic expectations? Is anything worth it over 200k miles?

Or do I just trade my car in on a slightly used Outback?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 22, 2018

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Proposed Budget: 25k
New or Used: used (certified pre-owned?)
Body Style: 4-door, probably a crossover
How will you be using the car: Daily driver (20ish mile commute each way), carrying all sorts of sports equipment around that basically never leaves my car (I'm a coach), semi-regular excursions, often outdoorsy (but not offroading, and almost never snow), occasionally carry a few extra passengers
What aspects are most important to you: Needs to last a good while, not look or drive like poo-poo.

For the last 5 years, I've been driving a 2001 Toyota Camry that was handed down to me from my grandmother. It's got 150000 miles on it, and a host of relatively fixable issues have arisen in the last 10k miles or so. The brakes need work, the suspension needs work, there are some minor cosmetic issues (and somebody decided to knock off my left sideview mirror last week, awesome). Looking at all that, and considering that it's likely not worth more than a couple grand, seems like possibly a good time to get a new ride. I also happen to be in a decent place to do so financially, with no outstanding debts, low costs of living for the time being, and a stable income.

The leader in the clubhouse as a replacement is a Mazda CX-5, which it seems everybody loves. The CX-3 is nice but too small, I think. I am not into most of it's direct competitors, like the CR-V or the RAV4, mostly from an aesthetic standpoint. Used versions of luxury crossovers (BMW X1/X3, Volvo XC60) are interesting but I imagine the costs of maintenance are much higher.

Let me know what I'm missing, what questions I should be asking. Thanks!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I want to go driving off-road around Southern California. Not trying to rock crawl, but mainly overland stuff, exploring, camping, etc.

I want to bring other people as well as stuff, so something with four doors. Pickups are okay too.

4WD with a real low range gearbox sounds like a good idea, but how necessary is it? Ground clearance and good tires are a must, but will AWD cut it?

Looking for four door 4WD puts me in a situation - there aren't a ton of models that do this, or any that depreciate how I'd like them to.

Budget is under $5k/200k miles for a second vehicle, or under $20k/75k miles as a daily driver. Under $5k would include parts to get it running safe and reliable, not necessarily counting off-road upgrades (tires, skid plates, etc.)

A 4Runner probably isn't going to fit those constraints.

I'm not sure I could daily drive a Wrangler Unlimited. I just don't like the ride, and have reliability concerns.

Where am I at here? XTerras and Pathfinders under $5k? Jeep Cherokee? I don't think there's anything modern with real 4WD that's going to fit my daily driver rules?

Am I getting unrealistic expectations? Is anything worth it over 200k miles?

Or do I just trade my car in on a slightly used Outback?

I'd recommend looking at the trails you actually want to run down and see what kind of condition they're in, and go from there. If they get graded on a regular basis, anything AWD with some skid plates for the occasional errant rock would be fine. If they have anything remotely considered an obstacle, you'll want more suspension travel, not just clearance.

Biased as hell here but I like the WJ Grand Cherokee a lot. It's far from the most reliable vehicle I've owned, but it also hasn't left me stranded yet. It still has solid front and rear axles, it has four doors, and it doesn't have a Wrangler price tag. They do have more than their share of issues - some of the 4.0s have the crack prone head, 4.7s like to drop valve seats when hot - but enough of them make it to 200k+ to not worry me too much. Plus the aftermarket is picking up a lot for them now that they're cheap enough to look like a good alternative to the XJ.

If you go the WJ route, OME springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks, and new stock style bushings in all of the joints will make it drive a million times better both on and off road.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

:words: about 4x4's

How narrow are your trails? If you've got room for it take a look at a Tahoe or something. That will save you the Jeep/Yota tax, although obviously you wouldn't daily it due to fuel usage.

Otherwise I'd say XJ all the way.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd recommend looking at the trails you actually want to run down and see what kind of condition they're in, and go from there. If they get graded on a regular basis, anything AWD with some skid plates for the occasional errant rock would be fine. If they have anything remotely considered an obstacle, you'll want more suspension travel, not just clearance.

I've been down some with my Impreza - wish I had more clearance, nothing like feeling like you're rock crawling on a fire road. Down others with my wife's Edge - oh poo poo better not scratch the pearl white paint. Not entirely sure AWD was even necessary in either case, but I'd like to travel with less effort, and be prepared in the case of an obstacle - like that time I made my wife get out and spot as I was on three wheels crossing the tiniest washout in my Impreza.

I don't know if I need lockers for the types of roads dudes in Guatemala are driving down every day in overloaded Kei trucks, but I'm sure they help a bit.

And I know the WJ - my friend drove a 1999 in highschool and we did a lot of dumb poo poo. Anything to look out for besides the rear main seal?

Unload My Head posted:

How narrow are your trails? If you've got room for it take a look at a Tahoe or something. That will save you the Jeep/Yota tax, although obviously you wouldn't daily it due to fuel usage.

Otherwise I'd say XJ all the way.

Some of these are two way one lane streets on the side of a mountain, would like to avoid anything full size wide.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 22, 2018

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

FogHelmut posted:

Not entirely sure AWD was even necessary in either case, but I'd like to travel with less effort, and be prepared in the case of an obstacle

Yeah, this is key. You're hardly ever driving down the trail with the 4x4 engaged, you lock it on when you need it to get over (or out of) something.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

And I know the WJ - my friend drove a 1999 in highschool and we did a lot of dumb poo poo. Anything to look out for besides the rear main seal?

Oil leaks, cracked heads on early 4.0s. At least on that the later factory head fixes it for good. The 4.7 valveseat problems are only solved by aftermarket heads, but they also can't really exist in any sort of 'partly failed' state. Once they drop, at the very least the engine is going to run like poo poo. More likely it will damage a cylinder / piston.

HVAC blend doors are poo poo, but aftermarket parts that properly fix them exist, and you can get the job done easily by cutting a hole in the heater box. Window regulators are also poo poo, but cheap and easy to swap. Aftermarket ones are just as bad as OEM.

Front suspension is prone to death wobble when worn, as are all coil spring live axle Jeeps. Parts to rebuild it are cheap, so just plan on doing that. Even if the bushings seem tight now, once you flex it at all offroad, they'll start failing because they're 15-20 years old.

Front brakes are known to warp rotors. The early Teves front calipers are worse than the late Akebonos.

Most of them come with some form of rezeppa front driveshaft, which won't accept much of a lift at all. You can convert to double cardan joints with either factory or aftermarket parts.

Kevin's Offroad makes some really loving solid skid plates and rock sliders.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

BeefSupreme posted:

Proposed Budget: 25k
New or Used: used (certified pre-owned?)
Body Style: 4-door, probably a crossover
How will you be using the car: Daily driver (20ish mile commute each way), carrying all sorts of sports equipment around that basically never leaves my car (I'm a coach), semi-regular excursions, often outdoorsy (but not offroading, and almost never snow), occasionally carry a few extra passengers
What aspects are most important to you: Needs to last a good while, not look or drive like poo-poo.

For the last 5 years, I've been driving a 2001 Toyota Camry that was handed down to me from my grandmother. It's got 150000 miles on it, and a host of relatively fixable issues have arisen in the last 10k miles or so. The brakes need work, the suspension needs work, there are some minor cosmetic issues (and somebody decided to knock off my left sideview mirror last week, awesome). Looking at all that, and considering that it's likely not worth more than a couple grand, seems like possibly a good time to get a new ride. I also happen to be in a decent place to do so financially, with no outstanding debts, low costs of living for the time being, and a stable income.

The leader in the clubhouse as a replacement is a Mazda CX-5, which it seems everybody loves. The CX-3 is nice but too small, I think. I am not into most of it's direct competitors, like the CR-V or the RAV4, mostly from an aesthetic standpoint. Used versions of luxury crossovers (BMW X1/X3, Volvo XC60) are interesting but I imagine the costs of maintenance are much higher.

Let me know what I'm missing, what questions I should be asking. Thanks!

The Mazdas are well regarded. You won't have a problem with those. I'll let someone more AI chime in with other options.

To cover the BFC portion of the thread: You seem like you're in a good financial place to get a new car, and that you want to, but just so someone has said it, a 150k Camry still has plenty of life, and fixing that stuff (and the other stuff that will start to pop up from time to time) would still be way cheaper than getting a new car. That said, as long as you're honest with yourself that you're doing this because you want a new car, not because it's financially ideal, go hog wild.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oil leaks, cracked heads on early 4.0s. At least on that the later factory head fixes it for good. The 4.7 valveseat problems are only solved by aftermarket heads, but they also can't really exist in any sort of 'partly failed' state. Once they drop, at the very least the engine is going to run like poo poo. More likely it will damage a cylinder / piston.

HVAC blend doors are poo poo, but aftermarket parts that properly fix them exist, and you can get the job done easily by cutting a hole in the heater box. Window regulators are also poo poo, but cheap and easy to swap. Aftermarket ones are just as bad as OEM.

Front suspension is prone to death wobble when worn, as are all coil spring live axle Jeeps. Parts to rebuild it are cheap, so just plan on doing that. Even if the bushings seem tight now, once you flex it at all offroad, they'll start failing because they're 15-20 years old.

Front brakes are known to warp rotors. The early Teves front calipers are worse than the late Akebonos.

Most of them come with some form of rezeppa front driveshaft, which won't accept much of a lift at all. You can convert to double cardan joints with either factory or aftermarket parts.

Kevin's Offroad makes some really loving solid skid plates and rock sliders.

Did they make these in RWD only trims? I'm seeing a few without the 4WD gear lever, so it must be?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Quadra-trac I doesn't have a selector. Also this is a good guide to WJs: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/ultimate-wj-grand-cherokee-buyer-s-guide-1271979/

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

powderific posted:

Quadra-trac I doesn't have a selector. Also this is a good guide to WJs: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/ultimate-wj-grand-cherokee-buyer-s-guide-1271979/

This 2004 Overland is actually listed as 2WD

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/ultimate-wj-grand-cherokee-buyer-s-guide-1271979/#post12259917 posted:

2WD Overland models are exceedingly rare and were only produced for the 2004 model year.

Of course I find one.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, 2WD WJs exist, as do the no-low-range NV147 WJs that powderific mentioned. In theory it's not the end of the world to convert one since they still have a beam-style front suspension, but I'd just buy a 4WD one instead.

I've never actually seen a NV147 WJ, though. I suspect the take rate on those must have been minimal, since if you're buying a Jeep and you want 4WD, you probably want low range. That would be an even easier swap (though again I'd rather just buy The Right One) with just a transfer case swap out and a shifter.