Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

I don't wanna talk to a computer. I don't want a computer talking to me. I don't need help opening the app I need to do the thing I'm going to do. I'm just not sure what the point of assistants are after that.

Imagine how the computer feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Obsurveyor posted:

I don't wanna talk to a computer. I don't want a computer talking to me. I don't need help opening the app I need to do the thing I'm going to do. I'm just not sure what the point of assistants are after that.

Same but I also don't want to receive any emails, text messages, or notifications of any kind.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I really only want to spend $200 on a new phone, but I'd have to settle for the 3gb ram versions of the Nokia 6 and the Moto g5s plus. Its totally worth it to shell out for the extra gig, so I will have to live with that.

Has the consensus of the thread shifted to the Nokia, if so what's the best place to buy it? I need good battery life and want to take good pics of my kid.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The 2018 Nokia 6 sounds the best on paper, but it's not out yet in the US for a few more months. Don't buy the older one.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The 2018 Nokia 6 sounds the best on paper, but it's not out yet in the US for a few more months. Don't buy the older one.

poo poo, I figured, what do phones at this tier cost when they come out?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Best Buy is pulling the plug on Huawei.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/03/21/best-buy-allegedly-cease-sales-huawei-smartphones/

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think I've got some sort of malware on my brand new Pixel 2. I don't know how, since I didn't load any apps from outside the play store.

Randomly, when I visit a website in chrome, I instead get redirected to some weird page and a synthesized voice reads out that I need to "upgrade my mobile cleaner". The worst part of this is that from what I can tell, the voice doesn't respect the volume settings of my phone. Even in alarms only it still blares.

Is there a way to figure out what's causing this to happen and fix it? I could factory reset and hope it goes away I suppose but installing all my apps again would kind of be a pain

E: what's especially weird is that after the first few times this happened I told chrome to mute sites that play sound, but it just happened again and still played the sound

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I think I've got some sort of malware on my brand new Pixel 2. I don't know how, since I didn't load any apps from outside the play store.

Randomly, when I visit a website in chrome, I instead get redirected to some weird page and a synthesized voice reads out that I need to "upgrade my mobile cleaner". The worst part of this is that from what I can tell, the voice doesn't respect the volume settings of my phone. Even in alarms only it still blares.

Is there a way to figure out what's causing this to happen and fix it? I could factory reset and hope it goes away I suppose but installing all my apps again would kind of be a pain

E: what's especially weird is that after the first few times this happened I told chrome to mute sites that play sound, but it just happened again and still played the sound

They own root on your phone and you need to reinstall tbh.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

They own root on your phone and you need to reinstall tbh.

Well, poo poo. Any ideas what I might have done wrong for this to have happened?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Did you install any weird apps from the play store? Comfortable sharing what you've installed?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

VostokProgram posted:

That's modern web ads for you. Do you have Chrome 65? I'm curious if this is with their built-in obnoxious-ad blocker.

And now that AdHell for Samsung's browser is a mess, I guess have fun with Firefox for Android and uBlock Origin?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dont be mean to me posted:

That's modern web ads for you.
No, it isn't.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Did you install any weird apps from the play store? Comfortable sharing what you've installed?

I didn't think I did, but after looking through my list there were some apps I don't care about so I got rid of them anyway.

Entire list of installed apps, with annotations on ones that I think need explaining: https://pastebin.com/iUw4rgR8

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I vote pixiv

:oh or that other anime one

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 22, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

VostokProgram posted:

Check Chrome itself to see if you have any extensions that shouldn't be there. Malicious extensions are a thing and they can be a pain in the rear end to clean up since Chrome 'helpfully' installs them on every device sharing the account and they'll persist through device wiping as a result.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

isndl posted:

Check Chrome itself to see if you have any extensions that shouldn't be there. Malicious extensions are a thing and they can be a pain in the rear end to clean up since Chrome 'helpfully' installs them on every device sharing the account and they'll persist through device wiping as a result.

Chrome can't run extensions.

Skarsnik posted:

I vote pixiv

:oh or that other anime one

I mean, yeah, it's gotta be. Sorry, dude, but it really looks that way from here. You know, maybe not. Seems like both of those would be a lot sketchier if they were the culprit. 500,000 downloads would definitely show up in the reviews if it was malware.

A few you thought were Verizon bundleware are actually Pixel apps or core services (ARCore, AR Stickers, Allo, Duo) but everything else is clean.

What sites are you going to? Could it be bad ads on a particular site?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 22, 2018

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

VostokProgram posted:

The worst part of this is that from what I can tell, the voice doesn't respect the volume settings of my phone. Even in alarms only it still blares.

Alarms only doesn't mute media volume afaik, so stuff like YouTube and web pages will still play sounds, but all notifications should be quiet

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've gotten spells of random redirects on popular sites like the Verge or ESPN. This wasn't long after I reset my phone either. It's been happening to a friend's Pixel as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you tried upgrading the mobile cleaner?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Is this happening on both mobile and WiFi? Also, have you checked proxy settings?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Is this happening on both mobile and WiFi? Also, have you checked proxy settings?

Either. I've never touched proxy settings and not sure why I'd have to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I'm a bit confused. I'm on an S9+and I guess there are both bixby and google assistant on the phone. I've heard the obvious things about bixby so, can I use google assistant to do stuff like play Spotify playlists or send text messages from voice command while I'm driving? I used Siri for this and it worked pretty well.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Google Assistant is pretty much Android Siri.

Bixby is Samsung's attempt at the same thing without having the same access to your apps and poo poo.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Bixby is Samsung's attempt at the same thing without having the same access to your apps and poo poo.

You sure? Anyone can write an assistant app and then make it the phone's assistant and they get access to the same context info as Google Assistant. Google Assistant is just an app from the Play store.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Honestly I was being a bit reductive, but Bixby and Google do different things. Bixby is better at doing the crap that Google's assistant doesn't do well (phone management) and Google Assistant is better at doing the rest. The bitching about Bixby comes from Samsung's insistence on forcing you from tweaking their hardware to ignore their new feature.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Obsurveyor posted:

Google Assistant is just an app from the Play store.

This is a bit of a misleading statement. If your phone doesn't have the Google Assistant, you can install it from the play store. But most every new phone that has the Google services installed from the factory will also have the Assistant.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This really sucks. I'm a huge fan of the Huawei hardware, and unlike other value-focused Chinese OEMs like Xiaomi they actually have gone through the effort to sell in the USA. My mom has an Honor 6x that has been a pretty freaking great phone for the year she's had it, to the point where I'm considering moving to an Honor 7x/Huawei Mate SE from my G5 Plus. Better camera, 18:9 screen, fresh battery for $200 ain't bad.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

nimper posted:

This is a bit of a misleading statement. If your phone doesn't have the Google Assistant, you can install it from the play store. But most every new phone that has the Google services installed from the factory will also have the Assistant.

Right but I meant it's not baked into the OS so it has no more access to "your apps and poo poo" than you could give to a non-Google app.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Obsurveyor posted:

Right but I meant it's not baked into the OS so it has no more access to "your apps and poo poo" than you could give to a non-Google app.

No, let me be clear: it *is* baked into the OS.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

nimper posted:

Oh, that sucks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

To what extent? Google Assistant installed from the Play Store on my Note 8 did the same stuff as Google Assistant that was integrated into my Pixel 2 XL.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CLAM DOWN posted:

To what extent? Google Assistant installed from the Play Store on my Note 8 did the same stuff as Google Assistant that was integrated into my Pixel 2 XL.

To the extent that "Google play services" is a vital part of the OS

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Chrome can't run extensions.

Chrome absolutely does have "site settings" and if a malware site gets itself enabled in there, there's a shitload of annoying things it can do. My mother-in-law got hit by this.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/114662?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=1

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Twerk from Home posted:

This really sucks. I'm a huge fan of the Huawei hardware, and unlike other value-focused Chinese OEMs like Xiaomi they actually have gone through the effort to sell in the USA. My mom has an Honor 6x that has been a pretty freaking great phone for the year she's had it, to the point where I'm considering moving to an Honor 7x/Huawei Mate SE from my G5 Plus. Better camera, 18:9 screen, fresh battery for $200 ain't bad.

It wouldn't be so bad if your carriers aren't POSes and using weirdo LTE bands

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Palladium posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if your carriers aren't POSes and using weirdo LTE bands

You're saying that the US needs different radios than the rest of the world, so if we grey-market import phones we get a worse experience? Yes, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I'd say this would be different when 5G rolls out, but it looks like our government will pass laws to prevent US carriers from using Huawei infrastructure.

I'd bet the rest of the world standardizes on Huawei 5G infrastructure, but the US will do its own weird thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any goon-approved USB-C cables on amazon? Looking for fast charging capability.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Anker or amazonbasics probably

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Any goon-approved USB-C cables on amazon? Looking for fast charging capability.

I'm p sure the Amazonbasics one is a good choice, although I'm scared to use it in the stock Pixel 2 charger

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Woah Amazon Canada finally has Basics usb C cables? Took long enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ended up getting some Anker qc compatible port and wireless charger. Thanks.