Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Serephina posted:

Is it more or less of a shitshow that Civ6's combat? I'm talking single player here.

I didn't play the game for very long and I'm sure there's some redeeming features to it, but it might be the worst strategy gameplay I've ever experienced. You input commands as if you control units directly (I.E. use offensive abilities on this enemy, or use a support ability in this area), but it's up to the whims of the AI whether your units will do as they're told. Combat is slow as hell, and the semi-automation doesn't actually do anything to speed it up. I think there's also some kind of reinforcement system, which lets you pull in units from way off, so there's always a chance of getting hosed over because the enemy had loads of units somewhere deep in the FoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

twistedmentat posted:

Is the patch that came down the one that fixes the Polders?

Polders got "fixed" in the previous patch.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I didn't play the game for very long and I'm sure there's some redeeming features to it, but it might be the worst strategy gameplay I've ever experienced. You input commands as if you control units directly (I.E. use offensive abilities on this enemy, or use a support ability in this area), but it's up to the whims of the AI whether your units will do as they're told. Combat is slow as hell, and the semi-automation doesn't actually do anything to speed it up. I think there's also some kind of reinforcement system, which lets you pull in units from way off, so there's always a chance of getting hosed over because the enemy had loads of units somewhere deep in the FoW.

Sorry I was being facetious, I've played the everloving crap out of EL and I love it. It's main fault is that the AI isn't competitive, with a host of other small grumbles. It's still a great game imo! I'd actually mis-read StraightWhiteShark's post as "Endless Space 2" which I'd completely agree is a bit odd.

But EL? The combat is fine. It's very reminiscent of AoW. You can always insta-combat, or turn the speed up to 4x and semi-automate it and have it be done in 15s. Which is fine for a game about extremely expensive stacks. It's actually completely unfair to compare the two; units in EL have like 6 different stats and interact exotically; Civ units have 2 stats and just bump into each other. Different games, apples and oranges.

karmaconfetti
Dec 22, 2009

Wie vuur eet, schijt vonken.

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, I was expecting it, but we should probably do something about Byzant. They're the only one with a religion and have already converted 3/5 people. And somehow all the Great Prophets are gone, which I only just noticed because the religions tab still says 1/4 founded so I didn't even pay attention to the Great Person screen when looking at religious stuff, so my plan of trying to get an emergency religion together and making inquisitors to defend myself and stop a religious victory isn't actually an option. Unless someone's planning something clever, Byzant dies ASAP, or every religious unit that comes for the last two of us gets stomped, the game's already over. There are already apostles in my lands, too, and I sent almost all my military units down to defend against you, so I'm not sure how much my efforts here will amount to.

Also wow, this game's only on turn 112. Autumn started a few months later but reached 117 and ended a few days ago. Though it looks like they're going to end at a similar number of turns, and for similar reasons (only one person who didn't die putting real effort into religion).

Yeah, that's a good point, let's see if we can do something about that issue. :)

Also, yes, mistakes were made. I like to take turns during my breakfast, which does not always include a coffee, so I definitely feel that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I found EL's combat long and tedious without the depth to really justify it. In practice it didn't feel that much different from Civ 5 or 6's combat, except that it removed a lot of world clutter since groups of units were represented by a single unit.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

I found EL's combat long and tedious without the depth to really justify it. In practice it didn't feel that much different from Civ 5 or 6's combat, except that it removed a lot of world clutter since groups of units were represented by a single unit.

Yeah, everything had like 12 stats and 6 equipment slots and none of it mattered because the AI was just as bad. Either you rammed things together and hit automate and the stronger guys won, or you abused the hell out of the AI and you won but it took forever to do it. Also the random starting positions could gently caress you over by sticking one of your units on the other side of a mountain or something.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The tactical combat is surely the second worst thing about EL (#1 being the AI)

It is a lot better in AoW 3, but to me it also got boring pretty fast and then I was just using auto-combat. But I guess AoW is just not for me. Ive being trying to like it since shadow magic, but it always falls flat on me. I love HoMM and I love Civ-like games for very different reasons, I always seems to me like AoW is trying to do both and fails on both: the tactical combat alone is not that fun and interesting, and then the city building and expanding and diplomacy is very shallow and not very exciting either

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Serephina posted:

Sorry I was being facetious, I've played the everloving crap out of EL and I love it. It's main fault is that the AI isn't competitive, with a host of other small grumbles. It's still a great game imo! I'd actually mis-read StraightWhiteShark's post as "Endless Space 2" which I'd completely agree is a bit odd.

But EL? The combat is fine. It's very reminiscent of AoW. You can always insta-combat, or turn the speed up to 4x and semi-automate it and have it be done in 15s. Which is fine for a game about extremely expensive stacks. It's actually completely unfair to compare the two; units in EL have like 6 different stats and interact exotically; Civ units have 2 stats and just bump into each other. Different games, apples and oranges.

Is semi-automated combat different from the one where you give complete orders and the AI decides if it wants to obey? All I remember is that and instant combat, the latter of which would always result in my stack losing tons of units or wiping entirely.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I actually really enjoyed the combat in EL but it sure did slow the game down and I don't want it anywhere near my Civ

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

Is it more or less of a shitshow that Civ6's combat? I'm talking single player here.
Much, much more.

Civ 6's combat is pretty weak and tends towards unit carpets (same as 5; not ensuring complete kills always so they could have "true" ranged combat mechanic was a mistake). EL's is much worse balanced and also takes forever to resolve. The EL AI is also pretty comparable in terms of competence to Civ 6 AI because there are too many rules it doesn't know how to exploit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe just steal the combat from Call To Power 2 or something.

Elias_Maluco posted:

It is a lot better in AoW 3, but to me it also got boring pretty fast and then I was just using auto-combat. But I guess AoW is just not for me. Ive being trying to like it since shadow magic, but it always falls flat on me. I love HoMM and I love Civ-like games for very different reasons, I always seems to me like AoW is trying to do both and fails on both: the tactical combat alone is not that fun and interesting, and then the city building and expanding and diplomacy is very shallow and not very exciting either
I had the exact same experience with it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
If your units are running off being weird in EL, it's because you've given them an order they're not able to follow, ie attack something outside of their move range. So after the order failure, they check their behavior, aggro/defensive/hold pos, and the default is aggro, so they wander over and hit whatever they can. Paying close attention to initiative order and not letting the melee units run ahead willy nilly will generally result in units following your commands pin-point. You can queue move&attack with ctl. You can have the AI play for you, but it's dumb, and you can quick-combat if you vastly outnumber them. I play at 4x combat speed, just to speed things up since the animations are pretty, but slow.

The tactical combat is fine, functional, and probably a lot more tense in multiplayer. EL has been built around it, it's part of the game and it's appeal. If people think it's too much effort, and rather would have combat be a more abstracted function of a 4X's empire's industrial power, with straightforward number-bumping to keep things simple, that's fine also. Civ has it, I like civ, there's nothing wrong with it (AI issues aside).

I'm sorry for this derail, back to civ6 talk.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So did the game actually get patched today? I didn't see any updates in my logs or Steam downloads.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Apparently it was an erroneously pushed patch, lmao.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lol what a poo poo show.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That would explain why, when I went to check my Steam updates after seeing people here talking about a patch, I found the game in my list of games that require updates but aren't queued (had to deal with a bad connection for a long time so between that and other stuff I disabled automatic updates), but when I queued it it downloaded nothing and finished instantly instead of giving one of the 3 GB patches people mentioned.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The combat in EL felt like an afterthought yet you still needed to be vaguely engaged in it. I just auto calculated the whole lot.
At least Age of Wonders (by the way, number 4 is being announced in May I think) had a much bigger focus on the combat.

Either go whole hog or abstract it, don't go halves.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
EL combat is.. interesting, but tolerable because it had the automate combat results button. The unique tactics approach was fun the first few times / in early game if you need to kite to survive. After that it just drags and makes MP turns take far too long in my opinion. Haven’t done much pvp mp so I could see that being more fun maybe..?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Roland Jones posted:

This is a bit of a tangent, but jeez. Every time I load up my turns in the Midsummer and CSRV games I'm struck by how bad my decisions were. These games started over half a year ago so I've improved a lot since then, but still, wow. What the hell was I thinking?

I mean, I wasted so much time trying to retake Dion instead of cutting my losses and expanding more heavily on other fronts.

Um, also, you know that last prophet? I may have forgotten to switch my wildcard from great prophet points for a while is all I’m sayin’. Guess I can try to spam as many missionaries as possible soon and try to stem the tide.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
What's everyone's dumbest mistake in their MP game

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Let's see. In my first MP game I picked a fight with Alexander, who wasn't even my direct neighbor, instead of going for one of the two people next to me who I'd have easily crushed as I was Cyrus, because my talking with them made me feel bad about attacking them. While I actually was winning at first, I soon got destroyed, eventually dying when one of the two people I decided to not attack backstabbed me and stole my last city. That was pretty dumb.

Also, in CSRV, for some reason I took Stewardship on my religion despite it being on an island map where I will never, ever build a commercial hub. My first choice was already taken and this was before the patch that added more good beliefs, but still, what the hell.

ibntumart posted:

I mean, I wasted so much time trying to retake Dion instead of cutting my losses and expanding more heavily on other fronts.

Um, also, you know that last prophet? I may have forgotten to switch my wildcard from great prophet points for a while is all I’m sayin’. Guess I can try to spam as many missionaries as possible soon and try to stem the tide.

Yeah, the fight over Dion was pretty bad on both our parts really. Both of us could have put our efforts towards far more productive things. And I should have conquered Vilnius first, but for a long time I had an aversion to conquering city-states, even what might be the most useless one in the game.

Also, I had a feeling someone had to have a Great Prophet lying around; even if the AI took one of them and died with it, there still should be two others somewhere. I have a couple holy sites I made before I realized the prophets were gone despite not being used, so if you can convert the cities they're in I'll try to help fight back there.

karmaconfetti
Dec 22, 2009

Wie vuur eet, schijt vonken.

I settled near some pigs in the tundra. There is no redeeming quality about the location. I think I made a settler by accident and felt sorry for having them just stand around.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Not opening the religious tab in the Autumn game as Kongo because, ‘I don’t need to worry about religion yay!’ Only to have Roland win just the other day unimpeded!

I probably could have taken him out if I noticed that, but I honestly don’t know if I had the time. Regret is definitely bulking up and planning for another 30 turns+ before the game ended,i nstead of just sniping the nearest civ to me in Science output soon as I got Infantry researched. I probably already waited to long at that point, so really ignoring religion and playing as Kongo.

Also, that was a fun game overall, congrats Roland! Definitely crushed us. I got rather distracted by Egypt for our 20-turn war, I should have counterattacked but honestly thought I could win a space race so was amping up for that. I didn’t even meet Gorgo until the final 5 turns due to how the map was split, which was a weird experience I have to say. I probably should’ve sent scouts out before the free Apostle’s Roland’s religion printed for me. fwiw I didn’t use any of the charges, so I knew enough about religion to know not to help him win, just not to check if he needed a good ole’ crusade sent his way.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 22, 2018

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Anyone playing with Quo's Combined Tweaks?

Looking for ways to make the game more interesting given the AI kind of kneecapping it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Also, that was a fun game overall, congrats Roland! Definitely crushed us. I got rather distracted by Egypt for our 20-turn war

Attacking Kongo immediately after smashing Poland was a bit optimistic.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Worst mp mistake:

Dominating a game and my friend kept cryptically telling me "if you can win you should just win" and I was like "naahh instead of science victory in gonna settle a beef with The Spanish by dropping a nuke on them THEN winning science next turn."

I drive my carrier within range hit end turn and dump to score screen and my friend stole the science victory from under me.

He had been buidling 3 parts at in 3 citied and constantly worker sacrificing to get production up while I was lazily building the last bit to finish it up lmao. We looked at it and I had been tall poppied by the AI that it is possible due to sabotage attacks I may not have even been able to beat him but I didn't even put up a fight I thought I was so ahead.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

At what difficulty does the computer start getting advantages? Is it still anything above prince?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Byzantine posted:

Attacking Kongo immediately after smashing Poland was a bit optimistic.

Oh yeah, I remember that. Having played Kongo in a previous game and had their UU tank crossbow attacks like it was nothing after they got both Tortoise and Battlecry (which is pretty easy, since they can probably survive up to that point and promote through the damage they take), while you were relying on your unique ranged units mostly, my personal estimation of the battle was "if Kongo gets their ngao mbeba out in time they survive, if they don't they don't," basically. Without being extremely far ahead, an army dependent on ranged units just can't deal with those things.

chaosapiant posted:

At what difficulty does the computer start getting advantages? Is it still anything above prince?

Yep.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, I was a very late adopter since I had a hunch that release-day Civ would be a mess, so I got it in the Humble Bundle a small while ago and did a playthrough, documenting all of my first impressions as they arose. My first run was as Rome, planted near a desert with fertile food tiles. I thought this was fine, so I played it out, not knowing that food-sans-production is useless. I gave up around when I saw how long it was going to take to build an industrial district. My second game was as Germany, and it planted me one tile away from having 3 stone resoures in my starting 8 tiles. So yea, different games.

Civ6 impressions posted:

Game is hard to read the terrain; "Ugly", but not aesthetically
The fog of war "map aesthetic" makes this problem so much worse.
Why the gently caress is production so goddamn slow
And yea, increasing prices?
Scouts are useless, spend most of their time moving at speed1 in bad terrain.
Barbarians aren't as bad as advertised.
Just researched feudalism- can't get 50% bonus to roman legions anymore, THANKS
--Restarted as Germany--
This City state, on price, is turning out an archer every other turn...
..Less of an issue, since I forgot he had no walls and can't shoot back. BUT STILL!
Why can't I raze my own cities? Civ5's method was plenty balanced.
The drat tech tree keeps opening to the extreme ancient era, instead of where I am
Dear god I love observation baloons
The tutorial/advisor is SO BAD. It keeps telling me the same poo poo about traders/etc 500 times, but not important stuff like air battles or how tourism works
I looove nukes - not just the animation, but the mechanics behind making&deploying them
Spy got captured, and guy won't trade it back for anything. No option to cut him off and build a new one?
Australia declared war on my city-state, so my causus belli gave me his ENTIRE EMPIRE RAZED for zero warmonger?!
This culture victory tab is useless

There where a few along the lines of "WHERE IS X??" that I deleted when I found what I was looking for. In retrospect, I shouldn't have deleted them since it showed some UI issues.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, all that sounds about right. I like the map design (outside of districts), but I'll pop into strategic view if I actually need to parse the map.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"Just researched feudalism- can't get 50% bonus to roman legions anymore, THANKS"

I mean, that's accurate, the development of feudalism in the late empire crippled the old legionary system.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

turboraton posted:

Wait there's a web version of diplomacy? That board game is cool.

Slightly shameless self-promotion: You may be aware of the Game of Thrones board game, which is heavily inspired by Diplomacy. Some of us (including myself) consider it strategically deeper, though it does come with a rather large rules overhead. Should it appeal to you, you might want to join the pbf that I organize (currently two turns away from a game ending, so you won't have to wait too long).

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Let's see. In my first MP game I picked a fight with Alexander, who wasn't even my direct neighbor, instead of going for one of the two people next to me who I'd have easily crushed as I was Cyrus, because my talking with them made me feel bad about attacking them. While I actually was winning at first, I soon got destroyed, eventually dying when one of the two people I decided to not attack backstabbed me and stole my last city. That was pretty dumb.

I think your confidence that you would have "easily crushed" the legions of Rome is a bit misplaced :colbert:

And hey, considering what happened in the Autumn* goon game, I think you definitely learned your lesson. I won't be quoting Thucydides to anyone in a multiplayer game again.

*summer? I don't know. The second one we played. You know the one.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Serephina posted:

So, I was a very late adopter since I had a hunch that release-day Civ would be a mess, so I got it in the Humble Bundle a small while ago and did a playthrough, documenting all of my first impressions as they arose. My first run was as Rome, planted near a desert with fertile food tiles. I thought this was fine, so I played it out, not knowing that food-sans-production is useless. I gave up around when I saw how long it was going to take to build an industrial district. My second game was as Germany, and it planted me one tile away from having 3 stone resoures in my starting 8 tiles. So yea, different games.

Barbarians are only bad in quite specific circumstances. They're one of those things that either totally and utterly dominates your early game (meaning: you're near horses) or they're meaningless.

Actually a small provisio to that - when it's end game and your army is miles away and suddenly a barbarian musketman turns up and starts burning everything from that one tile of fog of war in the tundra.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

Actually a small provisio to that - when it's end game and your army is miles away and suddenly a barbarian musketman turns up and starts burning everything from that one tile of fog of war in the tundra.

how DARE you not listen carefully for the barb camp spawn sound on every interturn. some nerve on this guy

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Byzantine posted:

"Just researched feudalism- can't get 50% bonus to roman legions anymore, THANKS"

I mean, that's accurate, the development of feudalism in the late empire crippled the old legionary system.

Get your history out of my game mechanics :colbert:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Prav posted:

how DARE you not listen carefully for the barb camp spawn sound on every interturn. some nerve on this guy

Hey now, I hear it every time. I just have no idea where it is and am not spending ages trying to work it out!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Darkrenown posted:

Get your history out of my game mechanics :colbert:

One day I'm gonna post my idea for stacks and you'll be livid

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TipTow posted:

I think your confidence that you would have "easily crushed" the legions of Rome is a bit misplaced :colbert:

And hey, considering what happened in the Autumn* goon game, I think you definitely learned your lesson. I won't be quoting Thucydides to anyone in a multiplayer game again.

*summer? I don't know. The second one we played. You know the one.

That was Summer, me being Kongo and you England. Autumn, I was Indonesia and you weren't in it. At least, not the Autumn game I was in.

Also, fair point, though I really waited too long to attack too. I should have gone for you or Gandhi's throat immediately and tried to overwhelm you with the surprise Fall of Babylon blitz. Or killed Lisbon, then gone for one of you two.

Topic of Persian stuff, in at least one game I'm in, Immortals are broken. Now they seem to be unable to make melee attacks, but they seem to use their melee strength for those attacks still? I'm not entirely sure what's going on, but in a game where I conquered several cities with them I've been forced to just sit around their final city and wait while a scout I bought outright in my nearest city runs over for the capture because they lost the melee attack they had.

I was planning on attacking Kongo next, too; if they have their ngao mbeba and the attacks still count as ranged for those purposes too, that might not work out as well as I had hoped. Unfortunate, and very annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Yet another PYDT game here: Rise and Fall: Classical Era Start All DLCS

The password is Who wants to live forever? Well, me for starters

Roland Jones posted:

Also, I had a feeling someone had to have a Great Prophet lying around; even if the AI took one of them and died with it, there still should be two others somewhere. I have a couple holy sites I made before I realized the prophets were gone despite not being used, so if you can convert the cities they're in I'll try to help fight back there.

I'll make those my priority once I get some missionaries cranked out.