Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The calendar the employee is holding is clearly June 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
RePrey: So That's Where All That Kickstarter Money Went

I'm stoked for any Prey-related news, and for anything that Arkane might come out with. They do great stuff.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Basic Chunnel posted:

In the latest group pic on the Prey twitter feed (it’s “Prey Day”) there’s someone holding a calendar with June 10 marked. That’s a Sunday

Yeah it's Bethesda's E3 conference.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2WeFMXhYDM

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They are making a sequel to this game right? The ending pretty much showed that another game is possible.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tenzarin posted:

They are making a sequel to this game right? The ending pretty much showed that another game is possible.

I'm sure Arkane would love to, not so sure Bethesda would be interested. Though I wasn't expecting DLC either.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

48 Hour Boner posted:

Moonshark!!?

Moonsharks man. The perfect predator.

Think about it. There's no air in space, so you can't hear Jaw's theme song before it strikes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

evilmiera posted:

Moonsharks man. The perfect predator.

Think about it. There's no air in space, so you can't hear Jaw's theme song before it strikes.

It would be much scarier if they used telepathy so you only heard the Jaws theme

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Blattdorf posted:

I'm stoked for any Prey-related news, and for anything that Arkane might come out with. They do great stuff.

The best possible future is the one where Arkane's next game is their take on Deus Ex.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

My only real misgiving is that I wasn't a big fan of the Dishonored DLCs for various reasons, chief among them that they changed / slimmed down mechanics (I also found Death of the Outsider's scavenger hunt vision exhausting and dull). I want more of what I'm getting with Prey, not more-from-less.

My hope against hope is that they'll at least patch in a survival mode for the core game (a real one, unlike the mod hacks out there now). They did much the same with Fallout 4 but, obviously, F4 probably made more money in its first few hours of release than Prey has in the 9 months it's been out.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Why would anyone want a Survival mode in Prey?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Kibayasu posted:

Why would anyone want a Survival mode in Prey?

If you remember the handful of status effects in the current game, there were originally going to be a lot more of those and their mechanics were more in depth.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I mean, it'd been nice to have a use for the stacks and stacks of bananas and candies and green tea I had by the end of the game. :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

but you already eat through an entire buffet every 10-15 minutes, how would hunger add anything?

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

double nine posted:

but you already eat through an entire buffet every 10-15 minutes, how would hunger add anything?

Include the need to poop. Adds two new Typhon:

1. Mimics that can emulate toilet paper.
2. When a Typhon Weaver encounters some poop, it creates a Poop Phantom.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

double nine posted:

It's not hunger, it's traumatic injuries that require treatment more elaborate than just medkits. Radiation and fear are examples still in the game, but bleeding, blindness, concussions, fractures and burns are all more or less implemented and just need to get plugged in to work.

They sound kind of annoying at first, but when I played with the mod that reenabled them I actually liked it a lot. They can put you in incredibly dicey situations and drain your inventory of organic material that would otherwise be spent on medkits. That stretches out the span of the game where you're just barely scraping with resources for much longer, which means you end up approaching certain situations much differently.

The number of break rooms in Talos 1 also begins to make much more sense.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 16, 2018

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I never encountered fear, although I got a bunch of chipsets mentioning it :thunk:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It happens when you shoot a Weaver without nullwave / psychoshocking it first. Your aim goes all wacky.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Basic Chunnel posted:

It happens when you shoot a Weaver without nullwave / psychoshocking it first. Your aim goes all wacky.

That's the same thing that makes the screen go white and grainy, right? I just figured it was mad weaver brains

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

3Romeo posted:

That's the same thing that makes the screen go white and grainy, right? I just figured it was mad weaver brains

Oh I guess I encountered that, actually. But I killed 90% of all weavers with my deathray gun before they could actually shoot me so I guess that's why I barely noticed.

Voltaic phantoms and technopaths were the bane of my existence if I hosed up and got hit by their electric attacks, though :haw:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ugh just give me this DLC already. gently caress!

:wrong:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

3Romeo posted:

I think that white/grain is radiation.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
fear also makes it so that if you attempt to move you'll move directly away from whatever used it on you which was pretty cool when i ran into it

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Morgan Yu: shooting a weaver while necking a bottle of bourbon.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

President Ark posted:

fear also makes it so that if you attempt to move you'll move directly away from whatever used it on you which was pretty cool when i ran into it

This is a really cool idea that I never noticed because shotgun-shotgun-shotgun-dead was my experience from about the 30% mark onward

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
I never noticed fear either, though I did plenty of panicked flailing on my own. Might have been hidden by that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm pretty sure Mimics can inflict fear on you too after they reveal themselves. Both the real kind and the in-game kind

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

They bump the contrast of the image if you're close to them but they don't induce the actual condition like the Weaver's glow shell does.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah if it doesn't have the Edvard Much Scream icon then it's not Fear with a capital F.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

President Ark posted:

The first time i did this was in GUTS and I just flew away at rocket speed in the opposite direction not knowing what was going on.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

I got Fear when I first encountered a Nightmare and got in close with it. I also got it when I tried to Psychoscope the Apex Typhon - that defeated the fear-immunity chip and also put me at death's door.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of that awful contrast increase whenever you enter combat, has someone made a mod to turn it off yet?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

So all that teasing and build up, only to announce an announcement in three months?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Game devs don't just announce things anymore, it has to be an arg leading up to an announcement and then another arg leading up to the release of the thing. Thanks Portal 2 :geno:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s so they can read social media and get a feel for their audiences general response and then they know which direction to push in

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

But this just seems horribly paced if there's no follow up. You don't usually drum up buzz only to go radio silent as things are getting interesting. Especially not when you're this niche.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well the other half of that is they probably can’t release it early, so if they announce the DLC now 3 month’s before we get it, they’ll eclipse their own hype. If hey wait until it’s a month away to announce it, we’ll care more at the right time and pre-order something we otherwise might have already forgotten about.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
there's gonna be a dlc?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

fridge corn posted:

there's gonna be a dlc?

There's going to be something. Maybe just dlc, or a standalone like Death of the Outsider, or even a full sequel (probably not), but there is definitely something in development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

So all that teasing and build up, only to announce an announcement in three months?
They haven’t announced anything