Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I imagine her dad talking in the voice of the "put it in H!" guy from the Simpsons, even though he probably doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Man, what's up on webcomics twitter today...

:munch:

:stare:

:catstare:

(Pretty much everything involving Audrey Redpath, although she's taken most of her tweets down at this point. Earlier she had been furiously tweeting back at everyone who mentioned her.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kruxy posted:

How important do you all find an RSS button? I'm not sure if it's important enough to include on my site.

I stopped using RSS feeds when Apple dropped it from Mail in Mountain Lion 6 years ago.

I don't use RSS, and I didn't like it much when I tried, but it doesn't seem like too much of an issue to keep one updated.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Man, what's up on webcomics twitter today...

:munch:

:catstare:

(Pretty much everything involving Audrey Redpath, although she's taken most of her tweets down at this point. Earlier she had been furiously tweeting back at everyone who mentioned her.)

She locked her twitter down. What happened?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
audrey redpath failed to pay out bonuses and comp copies of books for an anthology kickstarter she headed for years, worked at hiveworks and did her job so badly and so carelessly most of us thought we were being treated this way deliberately and exclusively, threatened to take away jobs from comics artists dropping big name indie artists she worked with for leverage, then got hired at kickstarter as "comics outreach" despite seemingly having floated through life having accomplished nothing at her actual jobs. they are not good.
e: the locked twitter is because their apology did not include the words "im sorry" anywhere and claimed she lost her job due to a a mass of coordinated jealous, angry comic artists working together to destroy her and imply her sexuality is fake.

having experienced audrey personally, and the sheer number of people coming out to tell their stories of how audrey screwed them over. well.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 22, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
:catstare: Are they still working at kickstarter then???

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

:catstare: Are they still working at kickstarter then???

ahaha no they got fired. a blessing in these cold times.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
I keep track of comics that update *daily* (or at least every weekday) using bookmarks (7 currently). Everything else I use RSS for.

In Scary Go Round news, I would read like 10000000000 strips that were just Georgia and her father bantering.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

fun hater posted:

audrey redpath failed to pay out bonuses and comp copies of books for an anthology kickstarter she headed for years, worked at hiveworks and did her job so badly and so carelessly most of us thought we were being treated this way deliberately and exclusively, threatened to take away jobs from comics artists dropping big name indie artists she worked with for leverage, then got hired at kickstarter as "comics outreach" despite seemingly having floated through life having accomplished nothing at her actual jobs. they are not good.
e: the locked twitter is because their apology did not include the words "im sorry" anywhere and claimed she lost her job due to a a mass of coordinated jealous, angry comic artists working together to destroy her and imply her sexuality is fake.

having experienced audrey personally, and the sheer number of people coming out to tell their stories of how audrey screwed them over. well.

Huh, I had no idea there were problems with her. I backed Oath and got it in December of 2016, though there are some 'didn't get my stuff' comments on Kickstarter, there's not too many.
Was it Oath she's screwed creators over?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

Huh, I had no idea there were problems with her. I backed Oath and got it in December of 2016, though there are some 'didn't get my stuff' comments on Kickstarter, there's not too many.
Was it Oath she's screwed creators over?

thats the one.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i should use rss but i just manually visit sites of webcomics when i remember them

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I used to use RSS but then stopped when I could just subscribe to the tumblr for the comics instead.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Tumblr is like the worst medium for comics? A joke..?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For bulk reading. For receiving updates it works.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Getting a Tumblr to read comics is probably a bad idea, but if you already using a Tumblr it's a nice way to keep track.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I read tumblr comics with the autoRSS feed they provide.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So what's a good RSS feed aggregator? I should probably get around to doing this one of these days.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

iospace posted:

So what's a good RSS feed aggregator? I should probably get around to doing this one of these days.

i've been using NewsBlur lately, I think someone in this thread suggested it. Works well enough now that apple seems dead set on murdering any native rss support

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I used to have dozens of webcomics' rss feeds when Google's was a thing, but when they killed it and I tried to move to Feedly it never quite felt the same. I gave up after a few weeks and have around a dozen or so regularly updating comics I just check manually now.

It turns out when you have to keep track of stuff yourself it pairs what you're willing to put up with the gently caress down. There were a lot comics I was following that were incredibly mediocre but I put up with because rss made following them easier. I still throw interesting comics into a bookmark folder for later reading but don't usually find myself coming back to them. Just don't have the free time I used to, I guess. :shrug:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
i say, get the surgery where you upload your brain information into the cloud, killing you, so your conciousness can absorb all web comic content constantly and continuously, forward and backward through time.

The most powerful being on earth, the human computer, took over the internet in microseconds. "MORE SCHLOCK MERCENARY" it booms "THEY WILL KNOW THE ADVENTURES OF THESE CHARACTERS FOR ALL TIME" having seen all events past and future, the human computer understands it is nothing more than an agent acting outside its own free will, but this does not stop it from enslaving man and machine kind in the service of continuing drawing webcomics and webcomics characters for the next 1000 years.

a child, dressed only in a tattered homestuck troll t-shirt from the textile mill he was born in, darts across an abandoned alley. he stops at a puddle of water and drinks. the mist rises and the sky booms, sending him running. he, at least, is free now.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

another question, since the webcomic thread in CC is basically dead.

I have a facebook page for my comic and have just been updating it on publication days with a thumbnail and a link to the new comic.

But I was wondering if you all thought it would be a good idea if I started posting the actual comics there too, but like a month behind. So that the page has content, but if you want the current comic then you need to visit the website. It's all gag-a-day so there's no story or continuity that people have to keep up with.

Or will this just result in everyone being a month behind on my comics cause people are lazy. Or people complaining that the comics I'm posting are old. I only have 30ish followers right now, but wanted to put together something that could be shared.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Depending on your main platform there's a bunch of utilities that will automatically repost your stuff to social media, some may feature delay options. I don't think it'd be worth manually reposting a month behind, especially for a gag-a-day comic where people who are literally too lazy to click out of Facebook aren't exactly gonna be desperate to find out what happens next.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Kruxy posted:

another question, since the webcomic thread in CC is basically dead.

I have a facebook page for my comic and have just been updating it on publication days with a thumbnail and a link to the new comic.

But I was wondering if you all thought it would be a good idea if I started posting the actual comics there too, but like a month behind. So that the page has content, but if you want the current comic then you need to visit the website. It's all gag-a-day so there's no story or continuity that people have to keep up with.

Or will this just result in everyone being a month behind on my comics cause people are lazy. Or people complaining that the comics I'm posting are old. I only have 30ish followers right now, but wanted to put together something that could be shared.

I'd say the more places where people can view your work the better, Its another opportunity to snag someone's attention. Don't have to post like every comic there (not that doing so would be bad, at worst it couldn't hurt) but you could just post like single panels or whole pages you felt were particularly good too instead of just the thumbnail on some days.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

i say, get the surgery where you upload your brain information into the cloud, killing you, so your conciousness can absorb all web comic content constantly and continuously, forward and backward through time.

The most powerful being on earth, the human computer, took over the internet in microseconds. "MORE SCHLOCK MERCENARY" it booms "THEY WILL KNOW THE ADVENTURES OF THESE CHARACTERS FOR ALL TIME" having seen all events past and future, the human computer understands it is nothing more than an agent acting outside its own free will, but this does not stop it from enslaving man and machine kind in the service of continuing drawing webcomics and webcomics characters for the next 1000 years.

a child, dressed only in a tattered homestuck troll t-shirt from the textile mill he was born in, darts across an abandoned alley. he stops at a puddle of water and drinks. the mist rises and the sky booms, sending him running. he, at least, is free now.

Meanwhile no matter how much he is tortured, Aaron Diaz bravely refuses to update.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I use feedly. The default is kinda ugly, but you can set it to be a lot more useful (IE, look like the old Google Reader), and then it syncs between the desktop version and the phone/tablet app, so you check on various devices throughout the day without looking at the same thing twice.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FunkyAl posted:

ah, of course, Megatokyo's Basilisk

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bobulus posted:

I use feedly. The default is kinda ugly, but you can set it to be a lot more useful (IE, look like the old Google Reader), and then it syncs between the desktop version and the phone/tablet app, so you check on various devices throughout the day without looking at the same thing twice.

I use feedly but rarely go to the feedly site. I mostly get my updates through the chrome extension Feedly Notifier which gives you a little number on the plugin tile when there's new updates and lets you open the updates from a popup window. This sets them as read in feedly so you're up to date if you open the feedly app or whatever:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/feedly-notifier/egikgfbhipinieabdmcpigejkaomgjgb?hl=en

I've had it bug out before and fail to load anything but usually going to feedly and logging in again fixes it.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Weapon Brown: Aftershock managed to Drum up $8k in 2 days, and got funded. It even added over 200 backers in the last 4 days, so it wasn't Death Ray just being sneaky.

Band vs Band fell $3k short of a V1 reprint, but they say they'll try for a reprint-only kickstarter in the nearish future.

Least I Could Do also managed to get funded, sadly. It was generally just consistently adding more people and pledges day-by-day, and didn't have a big jump in support in the end like many Kickstarters manage.

Back volume 2 has 6 days and $5k to go.

The Mare Internum train is still going strong (though it's slowing), and is $18k from a cool $100,000.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

iospace posted:

I use The Old Reader, since I never got over Google Reader dying. It's nothing fancy, but if you're just using it to follow webcomics it's very functional.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
first sort-of onscreen death in paradise. it's pretty brutal. this specific sort of violence always does something to twist my gut unlike anything else. certainly establishes what kind of a fucker monty lebruce is, though. what with the reference to his dressing down by the bossmanguy earlier:unsmigghh:

also is king literally ahegaoing in that one panel lmao

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
thanks to whoever mentioned Scurry earlier, it's rad. love the foxes who are just having the time of their lives loving with people during this grim armageddon.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looks like questionable content has swung back into the contrived soap opera part of its cycle

i love this stupid loving comic lmao

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like, im not being sarcastic, i genuinely love hipster marmaduke

jeph tries so hard and this is the best he can do lmao

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That bit with the robot cop dating and having a bread fetish was good.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I have to appreciate the fact that the wacky misunderstanding subplot is the result of Brun being legitimately super weird.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nerd guy and big guy should gently caress

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Tollymain posted:

nerd guy and big guy should gently caress

It honestly seems inevitable if only because Jacques is pretty meticulous about filling in the inclusivity bingo card, and there are currently no male-male pairings living in the same state as the main cast.

I'm guessing they seal the deal on September 7, 2019.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm guessing they seal the deal on September 7, 2019.
You're kidding, right? Jeph, bless his heart, can't hold his wad for a month without throwing a deus ex machina at the problem.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Love the inclusivity of creating "diverse" characters only to discard them 10 pages later. Like that non-binary PA who was introduced, made the catalyst of a conflict they had no agency in, and then promptly shot into space. But you knew their pronoun was they!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Typical Pubbie posted:

Love the inclusivity of creating "diverse" characters only to discard them 10 pages later. Like that non-binary PA who was introduced, made the catalyst of a conflict they had no agency in, and then promptly shot into space. But you knew their pronoun was they!
Nonbinaries in refrigerators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Since we're talking about terrible comics, holy poo poo in Strong Female Protagonist the main character just called the many coping mechanisms a guy built up in his psyche due to parental abuse "childish", smashed through all of them without his consent, and seems to be in the right about all of this being a good quick fix.

I can't believe what a new low point this is for a comic that before this couldn't decide if there was a problem with indiscriminate murder so long as there was a chance the target was guilty of a major crime, and used very blatant rape language to force a guy to use his powers against his will for the betterment of humanity.