Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nah theyre just mad that there are simple massage techniques that don't make pharma companies and surgery industry those sweet sweet profit dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

Is this Qigong for bros?

No just regular Chinese medicine.

Re: groinchat:

I had something similar a couple months ago. My stance was fine but I was pushing my knees out too hard. My coach had me drop the weight and experiment with a narrower stance until I found something that didn't aggravate my groin as much. We settled on front squats and I did those for a few weeks until the pain eased up and I was able to start back squatting again. I still feel it occasionally but it's not nearly as intense or frequent.

Mine is more adductor than hip flexor, fwiw.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
trap bar more like crap bar

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Anybody ever start on any anti-depressants while lifting? I'm curious if it'll affect it other than diet/appetite. I got put on Effexor today which is like both a SSRI and SNRI(i think). There's probably no reason it would strongly affect it other than mood/motivation/appetite, right? Honestly if it gets my dumb brain to work right I'm sure it'll probably have benefits that make up for it.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Bah, wanted to reach a new DL PR and now my lower back is sore again... (it wasn't even an impressive PR)

It's good that I already had this once and know it is just sore and not hopelessly hosed up. Just got to foamroll/lacrossball/stretch the gently caress out of it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
what was it? all deadlift prs are good. I went for 315x3 last week and got it, but just barely. I mostly just get sore in my hamstrings though from deadlift.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
352x6 at 204 bodyweight.

Someday I will be able to DL over 400 again (with good form) but that day won't be soon.

Also I'm maintaining/cutting so I am a bit dumb trying to force new PR's.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Any tips for improving overhead press beyond tensing abs and flutes?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol if u think that anyone has any idea what is going to happen when you take experimental drugs that they use on fuckups who are willing to down them

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Pesmerga posted:

Any tips for improving overhead press beyond tensing abs and flutes?

Strenghening your oboe and trumpets helps.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Helios Grime posted:

Strenghening your oboe and trumpets helps.

Saaaaad trombone.

Damned brass section.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i feel like i'm stronger with suicide grip on OHP. And i don't think it's as risky as with bench, you could feel if the bar starts to slip but it's never happened to me.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
my gf is gonna make me buy lululemon gym shorts and i'm a woman now

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
my sister gave me some lulumon tights and apart from them being a bit too tight for my huge manly thighs they are okay. Asos is the good poo poo for bears tho.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Anybody ever start on any anti-depressants while lifting? I'm curious if it'll affect it other than diet/appetite. I got put on Effexor today which is like both a SSRI and SNRI(i think). There's probably no reason it would strongly affect it other than mood/motivation/appetite, right? Honestly if it gets my dumb brain to work right I'm sure it'll probably have benefits that make up for it.

You'll possibly feel high the first day or so. Your testosterone will possibly get depressed and you will most certainly have sexual dysfunction.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
here is Brian Shaw trying some lululemon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5byHxIhDe4

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i feel like i'm stronger with suicide grip on OHP. And i don't think it's as risky as with bench, you could feel if the bar starts to slip but it's never happened to me.

Might be rolling your wrists backwards when you do full grip. I'm getting away from suicide grip on all presses since I don't want to die.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you drop a strict overhead press on yourself from lock out you were too stupid to live anyway. Humanity is better off without you.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Guyver posted:

If you drop a strict overhead press on yourself from lock out you were too stupid to live anyway. Humanity is better off without you.

:agreed:

Suicide grip on every lift other than curls and heavy deadlifts.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nux_GQk6lsI

Potential :nms:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I feel like suicide grip on Overhead press is safer than Bench. I don't really know why :shrug:

I guess you can't get stuck under it and im only ever gonna Overhead press tiny baby weights, but still thinking about it I could drop it on my skull

Not much would be lost there

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Have some gymspiration for today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1AjtX3C5j8

YEAH BUDDY!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Bench in the power rack

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Good

If there’s one thing I hate at the gym form-wise, it’s this loving stupid grip which has no upside at all

I feel bad for the guy but that trainer/spotter is an idiot for allowing him to do that

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

this loving stupid grip which has no upside at all

lol ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOBKGesyFwk

I would never use it myself but "no upside at all" is just hilarious

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

feelix posted:

lol ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOBKGesyFwk

I would never use it myself but "no upside at all" is just hilarious

Ok first of all that guy obviously doesn’t know anything about lifting let me tell you

But seriously, I’ll take lifting a few less lbs in exchange for the benefit of not severing my loving head from my body when the bar slips accidentally

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
you are about as likely to get struck by lightning overly safe goon sir

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

what about a bulldog grip

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I discovered the most amazing thing this week: popcorn

I have this ancient air popper someone gave us way back when and I finally opened it because I have a 2 year old and I figured, correctly, that this would entertain the poo poo out of him. I also now have a popcorn coupon that expired in 2009. Yes, I will try to pass it off at the store.

25g of carbs from un-oiled popcorn takes up considerably more space that the equivalent in rice, takes much longer to eat, and quiets children for 20-25 minutes. This really takes the edge off when youre limited to 40g a day.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is your kid keto, bro?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

KyloWinter posted:

You'll possibly feel high the first day or so. Your testosterone will possibly get depressed and you will most certainly have sexual dysfunction.

my t is already low anyway and i'm probably going to get some t shots for it soon anyway so gently caress it. I just want to enjoy things again. Anyway, so far so good on the first day.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

my t is already low anyway and i'm probably going to get some t shots for it soon anyway so gently caress it. I just want to enjoy things again. Anyway, so far so good on the first day.

Okay good luck, man. Long-term (>12 months) antidepressant use can lead back to depression so I'd recommend keeping a log of your mood. Also look into combing the treatment with other therapies (you are already exercising so that's good).

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Tuesday was nsun day 2, squats / sumo DL / accessories. Was running low on time so I figured I'd throw out accessories and get some sweat in with 300lb yoke carries

My groins, my rear end, please stop hurting

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

KyloWinter posted:

I stayed alkaline all last week and had a myofascial release. My cum has actually flowed into my brain and muscles as is the objective of gua sha

you went full gorilla mindset

you never go full gorilla mindset

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Use the meds to learn how to live life when not taking meds, if that makes sense. My doctor wanted me on the poo poo for life and when I thought i was mentally ready to get off I just stopped seeing her and quit on my own.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Fallows posted:

Use the meds to learn how to live life when not taking meds, if that makes sense. My doctor wanted me on the poo poo for life and when I thought i was mentally ready to get off I just stopped seeing her and quit on my own.

that makes sense. I'm kind of hoping once I get my T levels fixed, that will help. From what I understand it's possible that could have had a lot to do with my depression. Worse case scenario if I can't wind up getting it from the Dr which i should, I'll just procure my own TRT, although that's a last resort.

e: Also for what it's worth my mom went on Zoloft about 18 years ago and it was crazy the positive effect it had on her life. AFAIK she's been on it this whole time and seems to be doing pretty good. My doctor said people in the same immediate family tended to react similarly to stuff like this, although it's no guarantee. Not sure how right she is about it though. Either way, I'm sure it's better to not need it. Honestly my first focus should be getting off suboxone.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 23, 2018

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yo, hip pain squat guy, I just ran across this which may be helpful.

https://squatuniversity.com/2017/10/07/fixing-hip-flexor-pain/

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Have you tried doing max weight quarter squats???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfXrsi1mknQ

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

yo, hip pain squat guy, I just ran across this which may be helpful.

https://squatuniversity.com/2017/10/07/fixing-hip-flexor-pain/

Thanks Dad, that looks like exactly what I have, including the cause (no stretching). It’s getting better but I definitely will take it light in squats for the next few weeks, maybe with no weight.

With the sore hip, now I can tell it was because of using a wide stance, lack of flexibility, too much weight, going too low...

Sucks, but live and learn I guess, just hope it goes away completely eventually, at my age it seems every new injury decides to stick forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The limber 11 fixed my hip pain. I only bother with like 6 of the exercises, but the one where you kneel on the floor and push back like you're taking a big dick up your butt is great.

E: it's called a rocking frog stretch apparently