Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
these damned toxic 30k players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

panascope posted:

see if he can teach you left vs right too

:vince:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

see if he can teach you left vs right too

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'll never really understand why "No 8E evarrrrr reeeeeee" became such a shibboleth in 30k. I guess the lack of xenos and deep format fuckery hides a lot of the lovely brokenness of 7?

It's the D&D 4th of 40k

D&D 4 was good, 8E is also real good.

8E transition was the will of Alan Bligh as well. :(

E: Not even here, as much as in The Other Place (the site that dare not speak its name).

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 21, 2018

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
I was a huge whore and have no loyalties for 30k the last couple of years (please no slut shame). I started with Night Lords after reading the trilogy just as 30k was kicking off in my area

I then quickly jumped ship after reading the first two black books detailing the World Eaters being awesome as well as Kharn being a top guy

With the heretic love deep within my bones I then dabbled in Dark Angels for a local double event with a bro of mine as “loyalists” but the Heresy books on the Dark Angels turned out uninspired and a bit meh so I quickly moved on

This then lead to some brief but intense Word Bearer days, ah the sweet embrace of deep reds and pointy conversions

Then my true love arrived.. my soul mate of heresy.. giant fucken heretic murder bots Mechanicus + Scoria

I did then of course go full bug chaser in the end and finished with some Death Guard. Total degeneracy is a slow fall to the bottom.

I then promptly got out of the hobby after the bait and switch of 8th edition and got a life for a time.... now I’m getting back in and this time I think it will be a loyalist flavor Fisting!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Killer_Bees! posted:

Then my true love arrived.. my soul mate of heresy.. giant fucken heretic murder bots Mechanicus + Scoria

Them's some purdy robot bad bois.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Schadenboner posted:

I'll never really understand why "No 8E evarrrrr reeeeeee" became such a shibboleth in 30k.

Because 8th removed a lot if the coolest/most fun things that exist in the current HH ruleset? :shrug:

Challenges, running squads down, directional wounding, vehicles with proper facing, etc. etc. are all great parts of the game, that make it feel tactical, which don't exist in 8th Ed: Age of Auras and Abstraction.

I'll take the movement stat, AP changes, and variable damage, but the rest of 8th isn't nearly as cool as the existing HH ruleset.

/toxicity

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I saw those murder robots last year at Briscon, and they were amazing. It was surprising (to me) how many people were fielding fully painted 30 armies.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

8E transition was the will of Alan Bligh as well. :(
This is apparently over-hyped. It's from a comment Bligh made at a Weekender or something and there's actually a little rant about it from ADB floating around the internet. It's been treated as gospel by a lot of people and that's not really the case.

My personal dream is a hybrid of 7th and 8th. I like 8th's AP system, simplified cover (I'd prefer modifiers to hit, but cover saves are bullshit and always have been), damage characteristics, vehicles switching to toughness, etc. I could go either way on losing initiative for the alternating activation system. It's fine, but I'm also used to the older system. However, I don't like that characters can't join units and basically all of their targeting interactions are screwy as hell. Speaking of targeting, I don't like that they went back to the old, dumb version and I miss directional wound allocation. It made flanking and positioning actually matter and now that's mostly gone from 8th. I really dislike the new leadership system too. First and foremost though, I hate the layout. Keep USRs or at least consistent names for the same rule across factions and keep points in the unit entries, holy poo poo. We don't need 50 variants of Deep Strike that all do the same thing.

8th is fine, 8th is fun, but there are a bunch of things I'd change about it. It's obvious AoS was used as a beta test for 8th and they kept a lot of dumb garbage from that system.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm happy we're decoupled from 40k entirely at this point and HH is it's own 1st edition.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

xutech posted:

I saw those murder robots last year at Briscon, and they were amazing. It was surprising (to me) how many people were fielding fully painted 30 armies.

Fully painted is for closers my man! The guys I used to game with would all encourage fielding painted mans only and it really pushed us all to up our hobby game which is fantastic because hams are usually lazy procrastinators.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm happy we're decoupled from 40k entirely at this point and HH is it's own 1st edition.

:same:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m kinda glad the rule sets can diverge and develop for their own particular themes and styles of play independently.

I do still hope HH gets the AP rules from 8th ed at some point though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Keep your mits off me templates though

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I can’t believe the only shitposts in this thread are from diehard 8thers

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Endman posted:

Keep your mits off me templates though

You filthy 7.5 schismatics cling so feebly to your blast markers, the very instruments through which you are enslaved.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I didn't feel that the loss of templates was that bad... until I played in an Infinity tournament, where I felt the true kiss of blasts. Templates 4ever.

Now, I have a long list of grievances I have with 8e as well as a few compliments. Here it goes!

8e cons, in no particular order:
1. lovely rule writing in general - they should have playtested it better before the release, w/r/t things like how do you measure charge to dudes on 2nd floor.
2. IGO/UGO is still a system where your opponent can go to sleep during your turn. Alternating activations or rolling for activation like in Epic would have been much better.
3. Mortal Wounds is a horrible patch to deathstars - there are units that negate MWs already, and if the power bloat remains anything like it was in 7e, soon they'll get out of hand.
4. There's really nothing to represent chain of command outside "commander dead, you lose the aura and enemy gains 1 VP"
5. The new morale system is horrible and I hate it with a passion.
6. A shootmanz game without pinning baked into the rules is a bad game (conversely, VisV/TacStrike is super good)
7. Random Number Of Hits is a poo poo replacement for templates.
8. Psychic powers have been nerfed to be totally boring, and yet some armies are still aiming to be OP in Psychic phase.
9. Melee armies either getting a first turn charge, or getting cut to ribbons is not good game balance.
10. New hero targeting rules and auras is not a great way to solve the issue of 5e-7e heroes.
11. Rerolls after modifiers are trash
12. Making rules shorter somehow resulted in endless FAQing.
13. Vehicles without armor facing are pig disgusting
14. Command Points are the new "Roll for your WT/Psychic powers." Are some things hard to balance? Give them a CP price. Creating a new mode of battle, like Cityfight? Put all the fun stuff behind CPs. Don't have a kit for Command Chimeras or Commissar tanks? Hide them behind CPs.
15. Chapter Tactics FOR EVERYONE ended up with "chapter tactics" being super bland and some of them being obviously superior (-1 to hit over 12" vs. 6++++ save)
16. There might have been too many USRs previously, but giving out snowflake USRs to each and every unit is a bad idea, especially once it comes to balancing poo poo.
17. Outside of manpacked mortal, artillery should not be placed on the table in any 28mm game.
18. Infantry can charge fliers in flight.
19. Fliers are still a thing, instead of being an abstraction/representing drop off like drop pods do.
20. The game still takes forever, partially because the armies always fight till near mutual destruction.
21. Too many lovely itty bitty armies getting their own dexes while some entire factions aren't getting updated (Orks!).
22. The stupid long dex development cycle will result in power creep and already does.
23. Previously, you had some chance of defending from psykers even if you had none. Now you're poo poo outta luck.
24. Tanks draw line of sight from any part of the hull, which sucks hard.

8e Pros

1. Challenges and Look Out Sir, also known as Cancer and Cancer II: More Cancer, are gone. Challenges were never interesting, being a way for character to both whack a unit leader (and whatever dudes die out of sympathy) without fear of retribution.
2. Vehicles don't really explode from one shot.
3. Damage spillover is dead and gone.
4. The keyword system lessens the possibility for death stars, unlike previously, where you could put Azrael into a 50 man blob of Conscripts, give them a priest, boost them with a psyker and end up with an invisible, fearless murder mob. This was so bad, HH rulebook axed invisibility.
5. Vehicles are no longer inferior to MCs.
6. Glancing hits are dead and gone, though you could argue that the new wounding system works the same.
7. No more random warlord traits or psychic powers; making them random was an obvious ploy to avoid careful balancing. You don't have to worry about players always taking the Good And Powerful Powers when the players don't get the choice.
8. High end units are no longer functionally immortal when faced with hordes of say Guardsmen.
9. AP modifier is cool and good,
10. The old formations and detachments aren't back... yet.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
That sure is a lot of words about 40k in the 30k thread

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
8th is a garbage fire written by and for smooth brains. Sorry about your issues.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

That sure is a lot of words about 40k in the 30k thread

Hmmmm I wonder why. Real big mystery we have on our hands here

SRM posted:

Hurrrr I’m an idiot

Oh

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hixson posted:

Hmmmm I wonder why. Real big mystery we have on our hands here

yeah JC shouldn't be wasting his time trying to explain a superior game to a bunch of broke-brained toxic fucks who prefer to spend their days cleaning release agent off models and jerking off to templates

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

yeah JC shouldn't be wasting his time trying to explain a superior game to a bunch of broke-brained toxic fucks who prefer to spend their days cleaning release agent off models and jerking off to templates

Wow I’m owned.

go shitpost in the idiot thread

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Hixson posted:

Wow I’m owned.

see you thought I was gonna zig, and then I zagged

for the record, I'm busting your chops. I think it's fine and cool that 30k has its own ruleset

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Universal rules are dumb as gently caress, it’s better to have the same rule with 18 names.

Bad: “what do these guys do?” “they deep strike”

Good: “what do these guys do?” “Scarnhorst corridor” “what’s that?” “Oh it’s deep strike”

Much more streamlined.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

Wow I’m owned.

ban imo

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

these damned toxic 30k players

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I wasn't posting about Necromunda tho

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

a bunch of broke-brained toxic fucks who prefer to spend their days cleaning release agent off models and jerking off to templates
Please don't talk about poor BULBASAUR like that. He's suffered enough.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

Please don't talk about poor BULBASAUR like that. He's suffered enough.

Every Bulbasaur post carries clear indications of someone who is seething with rage over templates

e: Look at this post. Clear markers of insensate rage:

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 22, 2018

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

see you thought I was gonna zig, and then I zagged

for the record, I'm busting your chops. I think it's fine and cool that 30k has its own ruleset

Yeah man. I’ve played a lot of editions of 40k, and HH just got it right. There’s some stuff that should be fixed but it’s a good game.

I have a huge eldar army collecting dust, and I’d like to build a CSM army. 8th just doesn’t do it for me

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

I guess the lack of xenos and deep format fuckery hides a lot of the lovely brokenness of 7?

Seriouspost: this is it for me. 7th was ruined by bad codexes, formations, etc. The core is passable. HH avoids those pitfalls.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the 8e morale system is still better than the morale system of 7e 40k, aka "what morale system?"

No clue how 30k deals with morale, so I cant comment on that.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Neurolimal posted:

the 8e morale system is still better than the morale system of 7e 40k, aka "what morale system?"

No clue how 30k deals with morale, so I cant comment on that.

It's the standard 7th Ed system, but without any modifiers. Marines run, they get run down; they die. All the time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Sounds okay then. 40k is always going to be messy in a Windows way (i.e literal decades of models and factions to support/work in), that I imagine 30K can dodge irregardless of editions.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

get help

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I like non-abstracted gunships, although I agree that some of the smaller faster flyers feel inappropriate in standard 28mm games.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

JcDent posted:

I wasn't posting about Necromunda tho

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'll be honest, I love love love the fluff/setting and the Solars Aux, etc. etc.

It's just that 7E hurt me too loving hard and too loving bad for me to ever go back to it. I'll freely admit it's my own damage.

:shrug:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

I'll be honest, I love love love the fluff/setting and the Solars Aux, etc. etc.

It's just that 7E hurt me too loving hard and too loving bad for me to ever go back to it. I'll freely admit it's my own damage.

:shrug:
7th edition 40k sucked. It was awful. Formations completely ruined the game and list building was a horrible mess. You'd have armies made up of multiple formations with a ton of unique rules with no way to tell which tactical squad was part of which formation, etc.

30k managed to avoid all of that. Mostly because it was still stuck in 5th edition to a degree. :v: Armies are all locked to the same FOC and while there are ways to alter it, they tend to be fairly limited. Marines have Rites of War which are kind of pseudo-formations, but, again, are locked to the FOC and are basically ways to get additional army-wide rules or additional options in exchange for more limitations, some which can be quite heavy. Leadership is a huge deal in 30k and melee can be very important; sweeping is an excellent way to wipe out squads. Fearless and Stubborn are very rare with chaplains being the only widespread source. And They Shall Know No Fear does not exist here.

However, 30k is stuck with a legacy system for the foreseeable future and that can be a little frustrating. I'm fine with the game as-is, but there are definitely some changes I'd like to see (AP modifiers and cover, mostly). It is also suffering from a bunch of balance issues since Inferno released which have yet to be addressed after over a year. Prior to that, it was the best iteration of the 40k ruleset. Now? I'm hesitant to recommend it to people because it's been adrift for a while and we won't be sure of anything until the next black book releases, supposedly by the end of the year. The recent Weekender was pretty promising, release-wise, but it's going to take a new book to get things truly back on track. And an Inferno FAQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
God, Inferno was a hot mess, with bonus tourists!