Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

Takara gave everyone ample time to raise the 250 US dollars they'll need to buy it...which if TFW2005 was any indication, nobody who buys MPs wants to pay more than a 100 bucks for a toy.

You say that like everybody in this thread doesn't say "I'LL WAIT FOR THE KNOCKOFF!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lepecard posted:

If you end up not wanting the little Combiner Hunter Arcee that comes with Onslaught then you should hit me up!

Sorry, I think my mom's gonna steal her for her deskbots. Honestly, she'll probably try to steal the whole team.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Gimmie MP God Ginrai and G2 Megatron, please. I mostly just want guys from Beast Wars and G1 season 3 honestly.

Are they really doing Rhinox next? I mean, I like Rhinox okay, but I'd really want Rattrap, Megatron, or Waspinator.

I like Car Robots but I have a third party Black Convoy \ Scourge so I think I'm probably good. Fire Convoy \ Ultra Magnus would be cool but I can live without. I'm not too wild about the Unicron trilogy and the only MP figures from that I'd really want are from Galaxy Force. Maybe Optimus, Megatron\Galvatron and Starscream. And even then I don't really need them that bad.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The only time I'll buy a real MP is if they give me giant green tank Megatron.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gammatron 64 posted:

Are they really doing Rhinox next? I mean, I like Rhinox okay, but I'd really want Rattrap, Megatron, or Waspinator.

We have gotten zero word on what they're doing next, other than that the next goal is Megatron, and no that doesn't mean he's next - he's just the next goal.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

War Giant arrived and he rules... EXCEPT that one of his antenna was snapped in half in the box.

Back to TFSource customer service. I can probably fix it myself but I shouldn't have to!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They’ll pass it onto IF, who are glacially slow about customer service, apparently. Still waiting for TFS Express to hear anything about my Brawl issue from IF.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Ugh. Guess I'll brave the snow to get some kind of adhesive. Any recommendations?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Rhyno posted:

Megatron will be huge, jesus christ.

Megatron's about the same size as Dinobot. He'll have more bulk on him but that's about as big as the BW characters get until Rampage shows up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keldroc posted:

Megatron's about the same size as Dinobot. He'll have more bulk on him but that's about as big as the BW characters get until Rampage shows up.

Screw that, move directly to MP Optimal Optimus.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

Ugh. Guess I'll brave the snow to get some kind of adhesive. Any recommendations?

You might get lucky? Definitely raise the complaint to them. But also, Gorilla Glue.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So one problem with Transformers sales of late, and I profess no knowledge of how they could FIX this exactly

Basically it seems like the toylines they put the most effort into are ones without any real backing behind them.

Like, the whole reason why Transformers caught on the way it did was because of the TV series. The people behind it KNEW that going in.

Yet since Prime, it feels like the TV show related toylines are an afterthought at best, while most of the love and effort goes to the non TV related lines. Even during Prime, honestly, though Prime got hit hard by the early 2010s.

Of course the problem is that kids watch TV less and less and they don't really have a big channel to promote their new show TO. Their shows have also skewed a bit younger in recent years than, say, Prime or Beast Wars.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Man, there are a ton of 3p legends Decepticons and nowhere near as many Autobots. My collection is going to be pretty lopsided since it's going to be a while until I start getting the dinobots.

So far I've picked up:

Decepticons - Seekers, Coneheads, Shockwave, Scourge
Autobots - Ratchet, Ultra Magnus

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Burkion posted:

So one problem with Transformers sales of late, and I profess no knowledge of how they could FIX this exactly

Basically it seems like the toylines they put the most effort into are ones without any real backing behind them.

My own suspicion is that post-PoTP toyline might have a more Hasbro-controlled comic than IDW's current continuity, but that's just a bet I'm taking.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Rhyno posted:

Screw that, move directly to MP Optimal Optimus.

I would buy an MP of literally any other BW character over an MP Optimal Optimus. Frankly the original toy is close enough to an MP as it is.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

I would buy an MP of literally any other BW character over an MP Optimal Optimus. Frankly the original toy is close enough to an MP as it is.

The monkey's paw closes a finger, and Takara announces, next year: MP Armordillo

who am I kidding I'd be on that like white on rice

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some dude in Florida is claiming to have found Voyager Inferno at retail.

Edit: Nevermind, it was a cropped and rotated picture from NYTF.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 22, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yo i just got the last two dinobots from BBTS and i love them i love my metal dinosaur children

i'd combine them but a) i'm lazy and b) i dont want to have to take it apart in a week when i move, i'll just do it when i move into the new place

also chromedome is my new favorite car guy. he sits on my desk so i can transform him repeatedly

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 22, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

If it's true I'm not surprised by PotP being a 12 month line. Won't be surprised if Generations goes on hiatus either.

they've already announced the name of the next line

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

they've already announced the name of the next line

This was fragmented, I was saying I wouldn't be surprised if this happened after the next line. That is, if TFs are that bad of a performer for Hasbro.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Like, the whole reason why Transformers caught on the way it did was because of the TV series. The people behind it KNEW that going in.

Yet since Prime, it feels like the TV show related toylines are an afterthought at best, while most of the love and effort goes to the non TV related lines. Even during Prime, honestly, though Prime got hit hard by the early 2010s.

Of course the problem is that kids watch TV less and less and they don't really have a big channel to promote their new show TO. Their shows have also skewed a bit younger in recent years than, say, Prime or Beast Wars.

I really don't get why they haven't just made a deal with Netflix or maybe Hulu to do a show for them yet

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You have to work off of the janky popup images, yes.

Reprolabels progress: I should not have started with Crasher. And since I did anyway, I should not have started with the big foil-backed decals. Goddamn, they're a bastard to work with. Doesn't help that they're not scored quite the whole way through, and I'm not the world's steadiest hand with a hobby knife.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

DoctorWhat posted:

Sorry, I think my mom's gonna steal her for her deskbots. Honestly, she'll probably try to steal the whole team.

No problem, I went ahead and got the Onslaught that comes with the bonus Arcee with an Ebay coupon.

I guess from there, i'll decide if I want to finish the team or not.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

You just discovered the problem with selling toys in the current day. Hasbro doesn't know how to fix this either, and nor do I.

It is probably smarter to have the cheaper, simplier toys tied with the shows as they typically have a younger audience. Certain collectors might have loved the complexity of things like the ROTF line, but for kids and parents, those toys were a nightmare.

I've heard plenty of articles how Star Wars toy sales are down the toilet, I wonder how Transformers compares? With Star Wars they kind of overproduced their toys plus made figures nobody wants like Mr. Not in the Movie Constable Zuvio and Admiral Holdo.

drrockso20 posted:

I really don't get why they haven't just made a deal with Netflix or maybe Hulu to do a show for them yet

Well.... they tried Machinima... yeah. We know how that went.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
With this Toys R Us going out of business thing may mean some good prices on bots. If anyone knows anything spill the beans! :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who are you to doubt Constable Zuvio?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

You just discovered the problem with selling toys in the current day. Hasbro doesn't know how to fix this either, and nor do I.

It is probably smarter to have the cheaper, simplier toys tied with the shows as they typically have a younger audience. Certain collectors might have loved the complexity of things like the ROTF line, but for kids and parents, those toys were a nightmare.

I've heard plenty of articles how Star Wars toy sales are down the toilet, I wonder how Transformers compares? With Star Wars they kind of overproduced their toys plus made figures nobody wants like Mr. Not in the Movie Constable Zuvio and Admiral Holdo.

Well.... they tried Machinima... yeah. We know how that went.

I also think Hasbro overestimate how many army-builders are among Star Wars toys buyers. Black Series Stormtrooper figures always shelfwarm, and I don't even think they had a standalone figure of the most popular trooper, that guy who fought Finn in TFA. The Star Wars toyline was so successful initially because of their 3.75 inch figures, anyway.

And Netflix is certainly a better bet for Hasbro. I can already watch Robots in Disguise and Rescue Bots there, in addition to MLP:FiM. Netflix would be jumping at a chance to produce more shows with their IP. Many kids nowadays watch cartoons online on a tablet rather than TV anyway. Cartoon Network encourage kids to use their app instead of watching them on the TV, which is why only Teen Titans Go in aired on the channel.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

A Netflix show seems to be doing ok for Voltron too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gammatron 64 posted:

They're also back to 1980's levels of articulation for most of them. I sure do want a giant weapon that fires out a dart or some poo poo and combines with the grabber and the jetpack of those other two figures to make a super weapon! That really compensates for my figures not having knees but still costing the same.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The MSJ posted:

I also think Hasbro overestimate how many army-builders are among Star Wars toys buyers. Black Series Stormtrooper figures always shelfwarm, and I don't even think they had a standalone figure of the most popular trooper, that guy who fought Finn in TFA. The Star Wars toyline was so successful initially because of their 3.75 inch figures, anyway.

And Netflix is certainly a better bet for Hasbro. I can already watch Robots in Disguise and Rescue Bots there, in addition to MLP:FiM. Netflix would be jumping at a chance to produce more shows with their IP. Many kids nowadays watch cartoons online on a tablet rather than TV anyway. Cartoon Network encourage kids to use their app instead of watching them on the TV, which is why only Teen Titans Go in aired on the channel.

Yes, Hasbro would be smarter to go for Netflix over Cartoon Network. Their idea of a streaming show was on Machinima, which was a bad idea.

Arquinsiel posted:

They're also back to 1980's levels of articulation for most of them. I sure do want a giant weapon that fires out a dart or some poo poo and combines with the grabber and the jetpack of those other two figures to make a super weapon! That really compensates for my figures not having knees but still costing the same.

I wonder how much kids care about articulation? I really don't know. I don't think a kid needs a SUPER articulated figure with ankle tilts and whatever, but maybe vintage G.I. Joe levels of articulation might be nice. Just with, you know, no rubber o-rings holding the torso together. Those are horrible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As a kid I always liked the figures with elbows and knees more than the ones without. Sample size of one, but :shrug:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I guess this is only tangentially related but the more I look at the diaclone reboot toys the cooler they get.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
From my own sample size of one

When I was actually playing with toys age, as in pretend fights and the like, it didn't SUPER matter so long as the core joints were there. Move the head, move the legs at the hips, move the arms as the shoulders, maybe a waist joint. Though from my fuzzy memory, proper leg joints (hips and knees) were much cooler than elbow joints.

My favorite toys in the world basically had functional legs but frozen arms below the shoulder. Though those same figures were also a nightmare to get to stand up, it didn't matter because you could do cool kicking poses and poo poo. Though I also remember enjoying figures like the Extreme Dinosaurs, even though they only moved at the shoulders, waist, and hips, (and some times head) entirely because of how big they were.

Basically kids will forgive a lot of things so long as the final product is fun and enjoyable.

Also probably the biggest problem with the Series Black figures, for this SPECIFIC discussion, is that they're way more prestige than Sally 8 Year Old would care or want. The parents are less likely to get those because they're easier to damage and are expensive.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Elbows and knees made a huge difference for me. My G2 laser rod (I had Jolt) was automatically my best toy when I got it. The articulation he had relative to my other toys was amazing.

Until the leg joints started to get loose and the waist rubberband crumbled, he was my favorite.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They should just redo the original series, in generally the same style. Same goofiness, though less carbombistan and more purple gryphon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had lots of Joes growing up, so like, anything less articulated than an early-90s Joe seems pretty regressive to me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There was one line of figures that had some pretty amazing articulation for the time period that I remember owning- the 7-8 inch MMPR figures. I forget if they had a specific name, but they came in the prestige boxes. They had odd proportions but the head was on this super nice ball joint at the base of the neck and it basically had the same kind of joints you'd expect to find on a 20-30 dollar figure nowadays, only missing an ab crunch and sideways ankle tilts. You could tilt the feet back and forth though. I've lost most of the ones I had though I still have my Blue Ranger from the time. Shockingly he's still able to stand up on his own without much issue.

So it's not like figures with that level of posability didn't exist back then, you just were more forgiving.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Grimlock was my favorite toy when I was a kid by virtue of
1. Ostensibly having knees and elbows
2. Owning Grimlock

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So various people on FB and TF sites are reporting in (many who work at TRU). The liquidation is on hold, the manufacturers want the product that TRU didn't pay for returned to them. So if this is true there won't be much worth grabbing when they do liquidate.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/2018-03-22-toys-r-us-liquidation-sales-delayed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

So various people on FB and TF sites are reporting in (many who work at TRU). The liquidation is on hold, the manufacturers want the product that TRU didn't pay for returned to them. So if this is true there won't be much worth grabbing when they do liquidate.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/2018-03-22-toys-r-us-liquidation-sales-delayed/

Does TRU still do December 10 billing? I don't blame manufacturers / distributors if that's the case.