Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I just started listening to Rob's Basement and the literal first attack roll of the game kills a PC. Which is really just not a good way to sell the system imo. Level 0 stuff is fun in theory, but I think cutting it out and going straight to level 1 is good. Or maybe doing a level 0 adventure prequel/whatever with disposable PCs to learn the system or get introduced to the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Serf posted:

I just started listening to Rob's Basement and the literal first attack roll of the game kills a PC. Which is really just not a good way to sell the system imo. Level 0 stuff is fun in theory, but I think cutting it out and going straight to level 1 is good. Or maybe doing a level 0 adventure prequel/whatever with disposable PCs to learn the system or get introduced to the setting.

Lol I remember that but I forgot it was literally the first attack. People say they want gritty dangerous combat, but if you put even five minutes of thought into a character, they shouldn't get iced in the first session.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I treat the level 0 stuff as being there to appease OSR idiots, and just start everyone at level 1.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

Lol I remember that but I forgot it was literally the first attack. People say they want gritty dangerous combat, but if you put even five minutes of thought into a character, they shouldn't get iced in the first session.

In theory rolling up another level 0 character takes less than three minutes. Which I'm sure appeals to OSR type people, but its a bit at odds with how most people I know play games.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
both times i've played a level 0 my char was the first target of an attack, both times by zombies, and managed to survive

the first time was a pretty good character development moment too, convinced me to make that char a priest of father death

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
I kinda want to design a bunch of level 0-appropriate monsters that apply some of the "soft move/hard move" philosophy from PbtA. Like, instead of a zombie that just bites you for 1d6+1 damage or whatever, a zombie that has a 0-damage grab attack, then a special bite attack that it can only use against grabbed characters. Stuff to give level 0 characters a little more time to react to danger and save their asses.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Level 1 and 2 is as weak as I'd really go with PCs for the aforementioned fragility of level 0. Levels 2-4 feel like they hit an awesome spot of "you have the capacity to fight back but a few bad moves can wreck you," which I think is ideal for a more grounded and intense setting.

Level 0 appropriate enemies should take cues from DnD 4e minions: fixed damage on a successful attack, and only a single hitpoint (or 5 at the most). Other than that, moves which are telegraphed or require setups and triggers would work to give disempowered PCs the ability to plan and mitigate their own weaknesses.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

When I do my upcoming game I'm thinking I'm just gonna use lv0 as a build up of suspense/mystery until the end of the session where if they encounter enemies they will be overwhelmingly outnumbered and hope they are smart enough to run and then face a single enemy that they can try taking on. Which hopefully is the catalyst that has them teaming up for future adventures storywise.

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

I dunno, I like level 0 games. After Serf ran a bunch of lvl 0 one-shots on Discord and introduced me to it, I ran a few of my own for my RL group. I was using the pre-made adventures, some of which are a wee bit overtuned (to the tune of TPK on the first encounter), but they had fun. From these one-shots, plus the beginning of the proper campaign I started earlier this year, the players' general though processess could be summed up as "this world is a gently caress; we're the underdogs so unless we're careful and clever we'll die like dogs." Levelling up felt more like getting more tools to be careful/clever than flipping the script, but then at the end of the previous adventure (lvl 5) they finally met a proper demon. After the first round, when it had aptly demonstrated all its abilities, their reaction was "this is bullshit, we gotta run or we're all gonna die." They managed to get some breathing room, heal and prepare, and when they rejoined battle 2 of the players did 60 damage to the 80 Health demon. They were amazed and ecstatic, and the same dude who said the previous quote just looked at the other players and said "Are... are we the bullshit?" I don't think they would've had quite that reaction if we had skipped the first couple levels.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah it's very much a by-group thing. Some people want a Dark Souls thing where they struggle for every scrap of survival and then can feel amazing when they're demonstrably more powerful than before, and some people would like to not have their noses ground into the stone before they can accomplish stuff. Not really a situation where one is better, just that by default the system supports a "die until you don't die" style.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Secretly, stopped being willing to kill my players around level 5. The whole game is based on them Now! I'm not making new plots damnit, liiive!

Edit: to expand on this, I don't need to kill my players now because they have goals and friends and family I can take from them. Death isn't the worst thing that can happen to you irl, and it's not the worst thing you can do to a well established PC.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 22, 2018

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's more interesting to drive the PCs insane or corrupt them than to just outright kill them. But I won't pull punches.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Secretly, stopped being willing to kill my players around level 5. The whole game is based on them Now! I'm not making new plots damnit, liiive!

Yeah, the secret reason GMs pull punches that they don't say outloud is "I already planned too much poo poo based around your character, like hell I'm doing all that work again."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Level 0 games are fun, but it's kind of a gimmick session everyone has to be into upfront. Like puzzle-heavy dungeons.

And the best implementation of the gimmick is found in Dungeon Crawl Classics: everyone rolls four entirely random characters (no stat swaps, no takebacks, no nothing) and whomever survives the fantasy vietnam session becomes an actual character. It's particularly fun when the players start strategizing around putting their least desirable characters on door-opening, chest-touching duty and so on.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm slowly working on a 0 level adventure where the PCs work their way through an area, hopefully getting more horrified with everything they find on the way, including some already dead creatures, then eventually an actual demon or devil that tries to convince them to let him go. If they do, he goes to town on the creatures that imprisoned him, the same ones the PCs have seen, then vanishes to reappear at some later date and harass the party. Only one smallish fight near the end, might only bring people to near death, depending on how lethal everyone wants to play.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What does OSR stand for?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tias posted:

What does OSR stand for?

Depends on who you ask, but I go with Old School Rules. Just aping older editions of D&D and poo poo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tias posted:

What does OSR stand for?

Old School Renaissance/Revival, which started out as a movement to ditch D&D-style simulationist design in favour of going back to more rules-light dungeon-crawling in the vein of OD&D or Basic, but pretty much immediately got co-opted by Gamergate/Neo-Nazi types into a movement about how if you don't like chainmail bikinis or baby rape you're the real bigots, games that aren't AD&D are cultural Marxism looking to destroy RPGs, and not murdering two PCs per fight is directly responsible for the decline of Western civilisation.

(There are of course people who associate with the OSR because they're AD&D grogs who don't know about the lovely people, without necessarily being lovely themselves, and that's who I was referring to rather than the first group, but the movement as a whole is tainted by association. :v:)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 23, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Nah man, the OSR has a ton of chill folks in it nowadays who are genuinely interested in designing rad games and who aren't awful. Kevin Crawford, the Goodman Games folks, the guy who does Dark Dungeons, etc. Most like old games and just want to play simple D&D.

You'll have the regressives, but hell, there's plenty of them in D&D and Pathfinder circles, too. But Raggi isn't representative.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Lemon-Lime posted:

Old School Renaissance/Revival, which started out as a movement to ditch D&D-style simulationist design in favour of going back to more rules-light dungeon-crawling in the vein of OD&D or Basic, but pretty much immediately got co-opted by Gamergate/Neo-Nazi types into a movement about how if you don't like chainmail bikinis or baby rape you're the real bigots, games that aren't AD&D are cultural Marxism looking to destroy RPGs, and not murdering two PCs per fight is directly responsible for the decline of Western civilisation.

(There are of course people who associate with the OSR because they're AD&D grogs who don't know about the lovely people, without necessarily being lovely themselves, and that's who I was referring to rather than the first group, but the movement as a whole is tainted by association. :v:)
Lol I love baggage this place has. You see, neo-nazis play dnd like *this*. Us upstanding citizens play sleek modern systems. *drowns baby in urine*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I have been to a *lot* of Klan meetings (420 chapter blaze it) and no one there has ever been playing OD&D - they're all pathfinder snobs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, whenever some goon went grogmining on Stormfront for grogs.txt, it was invariably some dude's d20/3.5/PF hacks.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hell, just the other day I was in a Blades in the Dark discussion when one guy brought up how great the Confederacy was and how SJWs are ruining games, so...

There is, imo, an overrepresentation of those voices in OSR stuff because those particular people are incredibly loud and annoying. Stuff like Beyond the Wall and Kevin Crawford's entire oeuvre are pretty cool. I've even seen SotDL pitched as an OSR game, even though its really not.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol I love baggage this place has. You see, neo-nazis play dnd like *this*. Us upstanding citizens play sleek modern systems. *drowns baby in urine*

Yeah, that's exactly the point I was making and not the fact that Pundit/Trollman/ZakS/Raggi all claim to be part of the OSR.

Thanks for your valued input.

Serf posted:

I've even seen SotDL pitched as an OSR game, even though its really not.

It's D&D-but-streamlined in a way that's sort of oldschool (it measures ranges in yards instead of squares and doesn't have power blocks or keywords), it has a setting where PCs aren't presented as important heroes from the get-go, and it has the level 0 stuff so everyone can remember how great it was to get one-shot by pretty much anything. It definitely has oldschool elements, not that all of them are automatically bad.

e; there's some decent stuff that ended up coming out of the OSR design-wise (Beyond the Wall and Red Tide have some neat ideas, and I count SotDL as something that's inspired by oldschool design) but as a ~movement~ it's pretty poisoned by the fact that its most vocal proponents when it started out were the tabletop equivalent of Gamergate, and they haven't gone anywhere.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 23, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

yeah i'm teasing you because there's approximately a 0% chance that someone asking "What does OSR stand for?" wants to hear about 5-year old SA drama regarding internet rpg personalities

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also the image of neo-nazis getting serious at their nazi meetup over which edition of D&D to play is funny to me. Most chapters prefer Powered by the Rapture-based systems.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, that's exactly the point I was making and not the fact that Pundit/Trollman/ZakS/Raggi all claim to be part of the OSR.

Thanks for your valued input.
No, it really looks like you're saying that the entire OSR oeuvre should get tossed out because those are the OSR and how it's all tainted by association with those dudes. Which is a rather hot take!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
OSR is a mixed bag, but I like it more than the PbtA stuff where every character is very similar mechanically and your RPG goal is, I dunno, reliving high school.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

No, it really looks like you're saying that the entire OSR oeuvre should get tossed out because those are the OSR and how it's all tainted by association with those dudes. Which is a rather hot take!

Most of the OSR ~oeuvre~ should get tossed out because Crawford and Goodman Games are the 10% of it that consists of a handful of people designing games with some neat ideas but which are let down by the fact that they're tied to garbage 80s game design, and the other 90% consists of reprinting AD&D rules with one or two changes.

The fact that it was co-opted by Gamergate in its infancy just doesn't help its legitimacy as a ~design movement~.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 23, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

OSR is a mixed bag, but I like it more than the PbtA stuff where every character is very similar mechanically and your RPG goal is, I dunno, reliving high school.

PBTA is a mixed bag, but I like it more than the OSR stuff where every character is very similar mechanically and your RPG goal is, I dunno, dungeon crawling.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white wizards.

- Gandalf

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

- Gandalf

Gandalf died after the mines of Moria, which is how he came back as an Imperial Wizard instead of a Grand Wizard.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 23, 2018

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

- Gandalf

if you find the idea of fantasy nerds who are also massive racists this funny then I have great news for you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

A black man is elected president of gondar while the two competing KKK wizards squabble over whether orcs should roll for stats.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Serf posted:

PBTA is a mixed bag, but I like it more than the OSR stuff where every character is very similar mechanically and your RPG goal is, I dunno, dungeon crawling.

Dungeon crawling good, high school bad.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Dungeon crawling good, high school bad.

Good thing both sorts of game can do all kinds of things then.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm not sure how you can look at a Gunlugger and a Maestro d' and conclude those two characters are similar.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Serf posted:

Good thing both sorts of game can do all kinds of things then.

If someone willingly plays a high schooler they must be destroyed for the good of gaming, inshallah.

Serf
May 5, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

If someone willingly plays a high schooler they must be destroyed for the good of gaming, inshallah.

I am definitely down for all anime to be wiped from the face of elfgaming. Co-signed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Serf posted:

I am definitely down for all anime to be wiped from the face of elfgaming. Co-signed.

As someone who is presently rewatching Record of Lodoss War, I have to take umbrage with this proposal.