Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Eopia posted:

Old lockboxes will be adjusted as well, so any they gather now will get the decreased sparkler rate.

I thought they specifically said otherwise? If old lockboxes will also be fixed then I'll stop turning them in and feeling increasingly irate that I don't have the trex yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bolow posted:

Oh loving boy

Same.

I'm gonna sell the poo poo out of this materia.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thundarr posted:

I thought they specifically said otherwise? If old lockboxes will also be fixed then I'll stop turning them in and feeling increasingly irate that I don't have the trex yet.

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/361599-What-s-your-first-impression-of-Eureka?p=4616728#post4616728

quote:

Please be advised that the lockboxes obtained prior to this hotfix but opened afterwards will be affected by the above changes.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

Are bards actually in demand? I figured since they got the rework to be mobile that the game would be flush with them.

So I got to level 60 and finished up HW (it owned) as a dragoon, which was a good choice because it fit the story well. But I've never been a melee dps in games and generally enjoy playing healers and ranged dps. This seems like a good time to boost a 60 and continue the story on a class I plan to play at endgame. How are WHM's at leveling and doing solo stuff?

BRD has plenty of players since it's apparently in a really enjoyable spot and is better at the 'support' role than MCH.

Every job can do solo stuff. Healers will do it slower but that's just because they have less DPS.

I don't have a 70 WHM but my understanding is that it's the best for dungeon running since you can chain-spam Holy for shittons of DPS and damage mitigation (you get 10 seconds total of stun on the mobs if you do it right). Out of the healers and ranged DPS (not sure if you're including casters in this, since people generally distinguish between SMN/BLM/RDM and BRD/MCH) the only one I'd actively avoid is MCH, since the gameplay is just really unpleasant to me at the moment.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Too much time playing this should have taught me already: If you want something done, just complain about it in chat somewhere and it will get done.

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/GYMJQgB2pw9XV6Lk/#fight=last&type=summary

Thanks for the help earlier.

We are never clearing O8s

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

vOv posted:

BRD has plenty of players since it's apparently in a really enjoyable spot and is better at the 'support' role than MCH.

Every job can do solo stuff. Healers will do it slower but that's just because they have less DPS.

I don't have a 70 WHM but my understanding is that it's the best for dungeon running since you can chain-spam Holy for shittons of DPS and damage mitigation (you get 10 seconds total of stun on the mobs if you do it right). Out of the healers and ranged DPS (not sure if you're including casters in this, since people generally distinguish between SMN/BLM/RDM and BRD/MCH) the only one I'd actively avoid is MCH, since the gameplay is just really unpleasant to me at the moment.

WHM have an aoe dot, which is great. I have no idea if other healers have that as well, but it does seem like WHM can just crank out aoe damage (although it’s pretty harsh on mana)

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Thumbtacks posted:

WHM have an aoe dot, which is great. I have no idea if other healers have that as well, but it does seem like WHM can just crank out aoe damage (although it’s pretty harsh on mana)

My favorite thing about WHM is just going ham with the Holy spam. It's even more fun when there's a BLM in the party who feeds you mana via mana shift, so you can spam Holy even more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thumbtacks posted:

SCH does, though it requires aetherflow stacks.

AST is just hosed on the damage front. It's my main class so far at 68, and AST's damage options are very limited. We have Combust, a single-target dot. We have Gravity, a targeted aoe that deals diminishing damage for every target beyond the first (unlike Holy), does not stun (unlike Holy), and deals less damage straight up than Holy. While costing about as much mana. Gravity also comes at level 52, so no aoe of any kind for ASTs in level 50 and lower content.

Theoretically we have the saving grace of our dps cards, but the RNG is hilariously unreliable and in groups we would never give a balance, spear, or arrow to ourselves. We also eventually have the minor arcana, which sometimes turns a card into a decent single target attack, whoopee.

I like playing AST, don't get me wrong, but it feels straight up weaker than WHM and SCH, especially in solo content. Our main clam to fame, +50%/aoe damage cards, is highly RNG dependent and can't be spammed.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 22, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AST seems undertuned compared to the others if hardly unplayable. I think that its flexibility is very helpful if you are doing a lot of roulettes, but I wouldn't complain if, for instance, Gravity gained some kind of debuff to give it utility nearer to Holy, especially as you get Holy earlier than ASTs get Gravity.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cythereal posted:

a targeted aoe that deals diminishing damage for every target beyond the first (unlike Holy),

All the healer aoes deal less damage for each target hit.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Cythereal posted:

We have Gravity, a targeted aoe that deals diminishing damage for every target beyond the first (unlike Holy), does not stun (unlike Holy), and deals less damage straight up than Holy.

Gravity and Holy have the same potencies, and the same diminishing damage. Only difference is that Holy has a stun, and costs more MP. (2400 vs 1920 for gravity)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Brainamp posted:

All the healer aoes deal less damage for each target hit.

Miasma 2 is the exception

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

hobbesmaster posted:

Miasma 2 is the exception

hell yeah buddy

love to scholar and out dps bad players in exdr

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cythereal posted:

We have Gravity, a targeted aoe that deals diminishing damage for every target beyond the first (unlike Holy), does not stun (unlike Holy), and deals less damage straight up than Holy. While costing about as much mana.

u wot m8

I don't mind you making your point, in fact, I agree, but get your loving facts right.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
AST comes into its own in 8-man content but it's definitely the worst 4-man healer. Also I hate playing it because of how its oGCD poo poo works but that's obviously a matter of preference.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

u wot m8

I don't mind you making your point, in fact, I agree, but get your loving facts right.

Looks like a big typo in that table, I'm pretty sure holy is 0 mp.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cards should be about 25% more effective in 4 man parties.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Finally beat God Kefka as a static tonight. A shame we were absolutely plagued with scheduling issues this tier.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Cythereal posted:

SCH does, though it requires aetherflow stacks.

AST is just hosed on the damage front. It's my main class so far at 68, and AST's damage options are very limited. We have Combust, a single-target dot. We have Gravity, a targeted aoe that deals diminishing damage for every target beyond the first (unlike Holy), does not stun (unlike Holy), and deals less damage straight up than Holy. While costing about as much mana. Gravity also comes at level 52, so no aoe of any kind for ASTs in level 50 and lower content.

Theoretically we have the saving grace of our dps cards, but the RNG is hilariously unreliable and in groups we would never give a balance, spear, or arrow to ourselves. We also eventually have the minor arcana, which sometimes turns a card into a decent single target attack, whoopee.

I like playing AST, don't get me wrong, but it feels straight up weaker than WHM and SCH, especially in solo content. Our main clam to fame, +50%/aoe damage cards, is highly RNG dependent and can't be spammed.

SCH also has Miasma 2 which is technically an AOE dot, but after you've baned and drop your circle of doom you can just spam miasma2 and it will do way more damage than if you let it tick.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

u wot m8

tbh it probably does proportionally cost as much mana when you consider that AST mana retention is poo poo anyways meanwhile WHM just swims in the stuff. But there is stuff to argue with in the post.

Cythereal posted:

Our main clam to fame, +50%/aoe damage cards, is highly RNG dependent and can't be spammed.

Before decrying the weakness of ast when it comes to the card game you may want to play it at level 70 for a bit because sleeve draw drastically changes how you deal with cards, and by making intelligent decisions on when to burn/discard cards and when to say "gently caress it" and do a slightly less good buff you can keep some pretty insane uptime numbers for your buffs running.

Now this was a particularly good run of phantom train where the heart of the cards was really with me but:

A 5% damage buff for over 75% of the fight is not anything to be sneezed at, especially since I know the tools to extend those buffs (Read the tooltip of your AOE stun ability sometime). When I ran that fight through the nifty shifty website that converts buffs to raid damage to tell me my real contribution I was both outdamaging and outhealing my WHM compatriot while also doing less overhealing because shields are frankly loving awesome in this game.

Note I've swapped to scholar, not because I hated the card mechanic, but because I really hated not having more AOE healing that was off the global cooldown, but that revolves around my WHM partners unwillingness to find his heal buttons because he has to stone harder, not because I disliked AST or because it was bad.

Oh and for the record? Never spread damage cards in 4 man content. Pick the highest DPS and give an extended or more potent card to him, then lightspeed etc to take the buff to "Lasts till the boss is almost dead" and enjoy the fruits of your labors.

I know who ya are in game so I'll poke you sometime and walk you through "Fishing fer cards" by the time I was really comfortable with it I could keep something like 65% or more of a fight with SOME damage buff running (Except spear which I would just feed to our bard who didn't mind a drat bit).

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 22, 2018

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

BrightWing posted:

Too much time playing this should have taught me already: If you want something done, just complain about it in chat somewhere and it will get done.

looking at your replay, it doesn't seem like you do anything terribly egregious. I think your players just need to improve on an individual level. Everyone is very low, esp your sam. maybe suggest people start browsing the balance discord and learning the basics of their rotations, or asking the mentors to point out bad habits. if you are able to do o7s then there is no reason you can't learn the mechanics of god kefka. just takes some elbow grease and an individual want to improve. my static was in a pretty similar place to yours a year ago. we all kept at it and tried hard and now, while we're not exactly good, we're much better than before and continue to improve.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrightWing posted:

Congratulations!

Looking at your logs and comparing them with a completely random pull of ours, the first thing that pops out to me is that you guys either aren't aligning your raidwide buffs properly, or someone is straight up botching the opener--your raid dps is noticably lower in the first minute and at the ~7:00 mark (where everyone unloads the cooldowns they were holding onto while doing virus). Is your Ninja aligning Trick Attack with your other heavy hitter burst windows? Is Chain Strategem lining up with Trick? How is that interacting with Wildfire?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
On the topic a page ago about healers DPSomg and only healing when they have to, it can suck sometimes but to an extent it’s unavoidable, you shouldn’t waste gcds so you’ll eventually need to damage so you’re not wasting heals

That being said my favorite moments as a WHM are times when I literally can’t dps and need to pull out all the stops to keep people alive. Those fights are fun but they’re both rare and resolved by gearing up more. Which is hood because that 24/7 would be exhausting

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you're gonna loving love 1:00 to 2:00 of god kefka then, hooooly poo poo

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah I'm not a raid healer by any means but I also enjoy 'oh gently caress everyone is dying oh gently caress oh gently caress' far more than 'welp, time to toss out a regen on the tank and spam my single DPS ability forever'.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Healing in high-tier content really isn't that much harder than regular content, it's mostly mechanic memorization like the rest of the fights in the game. Use single-target heals for single-target hits, use shields for party-busters, use HoTs to recover from party-busters (and/or AOE heals if people need to be topped off quickly), and line up your healing cast bars with the boss' cast bars (called "precasting"). All other timeslots should be occupied by damage skills simply because, if all is well, you should have nothing better to do.

As a maintank, the biggest problem I've seen most healers have in Savage is that they aren't expecting the bigger autoattack numbers coming out of the boss/adds and mistakenly think HoTs will completely cover it. Fixing it isn't even that hard, just swap one of your damage casts for a healing cast; it shouldn't even need to be a big heal unless something has gone terribly wrong.

e: This is all implying there are no bullshit mechanics in the fight specifically designed to make healing a chore, as stated by Reiterpallasch below, in which case now you know how we melees feel when we have to run away from the boss. You won't get anywhere crying about it though; figure the mechanic out, optimize the downtime, and keep on trucking.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 22, 2018

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
"he's right, it really isn't that hard," i say, nodding sagely, right before getting the whole raid killed because i used emergency tactics one gcd too early for heartless archangel

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Don't jump AST, new person! 72% Balance uptime is extremely unlikely!

On the topic of Gravity being cheaper than Holy, I want to say but not sure that Malefic was cheaper than Stone back in HW too. Of note, they cost the same now (and Combust costs as much as Aero) even though AST has virtually nothing native to get MP back. A lot of their heals are cheaper too, but not your single target hot. Basically, a lot of spells you use a lot don't benefit from the old idea of AST setup in which spells are cheaper at the cost of having no assize/aetherflow. You will hear people say that AST is the raid healer of choice, but for the current raid tier, that means budgeting an rear end load of piety for the final fight. There are still relatively few AST parses for o8s. So they're not even head and shoulders above WHM in raids!

No one is upset to get a WHM instead of an AST. They're great in basically all content, feel solid and aren't unintuitive to play. I'd definitely recommend for a jump.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
As far as I know, with average card luck AST struggles to generate even half the raid dps SCH does with just Chain Stratagem, a lot of which has to do with burst windows which don't give a poo poo about your uptime. Comparing to WHM is largely pointless since WHM is one big healing machine you use for prog because WHM can brute force things the other 2 healers just can't.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Also of note is WHM being able to semi brute with their OGCD healing suite while providing solid DPS

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Even outside of the ease of use WHM brings, which is its prog arguement, it hits like a truck. It's definitely worth comparing to AST damage wise, though certainly not easy. If your static does poo poo for damage or you're a pf merc, assuming you're a good player, WHM is probably going to actually be bringing more damage than AST. Even outside of prog.

AST exists as a good choice only in capable statics. That's not to say it's so far back that your group is suffering by having an AST (usually). But you yourself might be suffering depending on how bad your group is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

u wot m8

Fair enough, I remembered wrong and was at work and couldn't check.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Congratulations!

Looking at your logs and comparing them with a completely random pull of ours, the first thing that pops out to me is that you guys either aren't aligning your raidwide buffs properly, or someone is straight up botching the opener--your raid dps is noticably lower in the first minute and at the ~7:00 mark (where everyone unloads the cooldowns they were holding onto while doing virus). Is your Ninja aligning Trick Attack with your other heavy hitter burst windows? Is Chain Strategem lining up with Trick? How is that interacting with Wildfire?

No, we don't put hardly any thought to aligning buffs. That low point at 7 minutes is probably because despite my protests my NIN uses trick as virus is going out to align with my MCH wildfire right there instead of saving it for afterwards. Chain and hypercharge are also just used on cool down. And I'm the selfish BLM that switched off SMN because I was tired of wrangling Bahamut into doing what I wanted. It's insane to me that you guys are clearing minutes ahead of us, that clear run was by the skin of purr teeth.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
I'm leveling CUL up on my Balmungian alt right now, and I seem to remember reading that the large-scale levequests weren't worth the investment. They must have buffed them at some point, because...

The level up noise is pretty drat loud when it goes off three times at once.

Also, wow, goons soured on AST in a hurry. Earthly Star is so nice once you get the timings in a fight down, and it's still pretty good as a panic button. Plus there's a few tricks you can pull off to improve your useful-card uptime. With that said, it desperately needs Stella back as a crappy instacast damage spell, because weaving your card stuff in feels really clunky right now.

i'm the worst/saltiest healer alive though so take my opinions with a grain of salt

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Large Scale leves are still technically not worth it because MUH EFFICIENCY.

A Temple leve is worth about 6 regular Ishgard leves? It might be 5 but they're pretty bad efficiency wise, and it's not like you have to travel anywhere to turn them in.

Bolow fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 22, 2018

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The issue with leves is that you have a finite amount of them per day. If you're starting down the path of leveling every DoH/DoL to 70 you'll really start to wish you had more. So then it becomes about exp per leve, where the triple turn-ins are the most efficient.

Even being somewhat efficient with usage it was taking me on average between 30-40 leves to go from 60 to 70 for most of them. Towards the end I just started spamming red scrip collectibles to cover the gaps.

Also one thing to note, if you save your 50-70 class quests until you're about 68 they'll basically take you to 70.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also, wow, goons soured on AST in a hurry.

Aside from Earthly Star, they got no new impactful abilities, had one of their instants carved away, got an even clunkier rotation due to the addition of Minor Arcana/Sleeve Draw, dropped to the lowest DPS out of all of the healers by a fair margin, and had the one thing otherwise propping them up - Balance's damage buff - nerfed. No real surprise that people soured on them so quickly.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
The only time large scale leves may be worth doing is if you know you're going to be away for awhile and are near cap.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Vermain posted:

Aside from Earthly Star, they got no new impactful abilities, had one of their instants carved away, got an even clunkier rotation due to the addition of Minor Arcana/Sleeve Draw, dropped to the lowest DPS out of all of the healers by a fair margin, and had the one thing otherwise propping them up - Balance's damage buff - nerfed. No real surprise that people soured on them so quickly.

Also as stated the SCH buffs fits right into the "Godlike 10 seconds of trick attack + all buffs" meta, which also arguably helps WHM as they can use OGCD's to take part too. The fact AST can't reliably take part in this is a big issue without balance propping the class up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'm leveling AST to 50 at the moment and I'm having fun. The best/worst thing about AST is that it captures the feeling of playing card games: pumped when you get the cards you want or can use, absolutely depressing when you pull something completely useless. gently caress you Spire. Stop it.

SCH is fun too, but I can't shake the feeling I need to babysit the fairy the whole time just in case something goes catastrophically wrong while I'm dpsing.