Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I think it's lame that diplomacy and marriage are basically impossible with other religion groups. IRL wasn't it pretty common for Iberian Christians and Muslims to switch sides? And I'm pretty sure the Byzantines married off at least a handful of princesses to the Turks and Mongols. It should definitely be harder than with coreligionists but there should be some ways to interact with them other than having them as vassals (and revoking as soon as possible).

You can also use favors to marry into other religious groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Has anyone else had an Ibadi caliphate form in their game? In my Zoroastrian run, the Abbasid Emperor got overthrown by a vassal who was Ibadi caliph. I actually had the Ibadi, Sunni and Shia caliphs all wage war on me at the same time.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

You can also use favors to marry into other religious groups.

How?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve had this game on steam for a while now, and really want to get into it. Everytime I sit down to give it a try I immediately zone out and “nope” myself right out. Are there any recommend let’s plays or tutorials that are engaging?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Buy a favor (or get some other way, but usually just buy) with the relevant leader, then when you try to arrange a marriage, a little icon for "use favor" should appear towards the lower...left? of the window. Guarantees acceptance, even despite factors that would otherwise make it impossible like being part of a different religious group.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Buy a favor (or get some other way, but usually just buy) with the relevant leader, then when you try to arrange a marriage, a little icon for "use favor" should appear towards the lower...left? of the window. Guarantees acceptance, even despite factors that would otherwise make it impossible like being part of a different religious group.

A-mazing. Thank you!

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I’m getting so sick of quashing rebellions every year... but I also don’t want to concede any crown authority. Is this just an endless Catch 22, or is there a relatively permanent solution? My recent plans have basically just been to assassinate all those associated with the factions or attempting (often failing) to imprison conspirators. I’ve been fortunate enough so far that each vassal revolt from a failed imprisonment doesn’t call in all the other conspirators, but I feel like that isn’t meant to be and my luck will run out eventually.

EDIT: As I read up on things, it looks like maybe I should just go ahead and lower the crown authority? I was hoping to make a despotic power grab for absolute authority, but it looks like my vassals stay weakest under medium authority. If I bump down, are they all forced back into gavelkind? I have some dukes that blobbed up a bit and I’d be very happy to see them have to split up all that territory in a peaceful manner (IE their assasination).

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 22, 2018

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

I’m getting so sick of quashing rebellions every year... but I also don’t want to concede any crown authority. Is this just an endless Catch 22, or is there a relatively permanent solution? My recent plans have basically just been to assassinate all those associated with the factions or attempting (often failing) to imprison conspirators. I’ve been fortunate enough so far that each vassal revolt from a failed imprisonment doesn’t call in all the other conspirators, but I feel like that isn’t meant to be and my luck will run out eventually.

EDIT: As I read up on things, it looks like maybe I should just go ahead and lower the crown authority? I was hoping to make a despotic power grab for absolute authority, but it looks like my vassals stay weakest under medium authority. If I bump down, are they all forced back into gavelkind? I have some dukes that blobbed up a bit and I’d be very happy to see them have to split up all that territory in a peaceful manner (IE their assasination).

Failed-imprisonment vassal revolts only bring that individual vassal into the war. It's actually a great way of dealing with troublesome vassals, since you can handle them individually rather than waiting for them to team up and rebel. If they rebel and then lose the war, you can strip one title from them.

I'm guessing you don't have Conclave, so no council shenanigans. Do your vassals generally have poor opinions of you? If there's anything you can do to appease individual vassals, such as vassal transfers, it's often helpful.

How big is your territory? If you're an emperor, handing out some king titles is often a good way to deal with dissent - it's easier to placate a couple of kings than two dozen dukes, and handing out a title will buy you a couple decades of high opinion too. Dealing with vassals is a pretty major part of the game, so there's no permanent solution - although being a strong emperor with big retinues and a hefty personal levy is a pretty good way to keep factions permanently in check.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I don't have conclave so that probably adds some options but:

1. Raise the heirs of your most powerful vassals. Stop them from being ambitious or envious. Make them your culture and religion
2. Use your chancellor on one of your most powerful vassals, should get to +100 relations fairly quickly
3. Use your spymaster on another vassal to get him to leave factions
4. Send gifts to faction members if you have high diplomacy
5. Use seduction focus, get lots of bastards and use them to get non-aggression pacts with your vassals

That said you will still have the occasional civil war. Once you win you can put the imprisoned ones under house arrest (so they live longer) and they can't rebel for the rest of their lives.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Failed-imprisonment vassal revolts only bring that individual vassal into the war. It's actually a great way of dealing with troublesome vassals, since you can handle them individually rather than waiting for them to team up and rebel. If they rebel and then lose the war, you can strip one title from them.

I'm guessing you don't have Conclave, so no council shenanigans. Do your vassals generally have poor opinions of you? If there's anything you can do to appease individual vassals, such as vassal transfers, it's often helpful.

How big is your territory? If you're an emperor, handing out some king titles is often a good way to deal with dissent - it's easier to placate a couple of kings than two dozen dukes, and handing out a title will buy you a couple decades of high opinion too. Dealing with vassals is a pretty major part of the game, so there's no permanent solution - although being a strong emperor with big retinues and a hefty personal levy is a pretty good way to keep factions permanently in check.

Oh yeah, my vassals loathe me. I’ve gone through three four rulers in like the span of two years. I’m pretty sure the last two were both assassinated, so now I’m a short-reigned baby King.

My territory is fairly large, but not HUGE. I have all of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, and i believe a little bit of southern England. I went ahead and destroyed all the kingdom titles except for one (which I hold) because I don’t meet the requirements for the British Empire yet. However, since you mention it, I should double check to make sure my counts have the correct vassals beneath them. I had one king revoke a lot of land and redistribute it to family, so I might not have had him transfer the vassals with those counties.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Find some new dudes with your religion and culture who you can replace your revolting vassals with. The bonus from giving them titles should be enough to keep them happy for at least a generation.

If your new vassals keep revolting, that means you've got issues. It's been so long since I've played without conclave, I don't really remember how Crown Authority works, if I ever really knew.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gin_Rummy posted:

Oh yeah, my vassals loathe me. I’ve gone through three four rulers in like the span of two years. I’m pretty sure the last two were both assassinated, so now I’m a short-reigned baby King.

My territory is fairly large, but not HUGE. I have all of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, and i believe a little bit of southern England. I went ahead and destroyed all the kingdom titles except for one (which I hold) because I don’t meet the requirements for the British Empire yet. However, since you mention it, I should double check to make sure my counts have the correct vassals beneath them. I had one king revoke a lot of land and redistribute it to family, so I might not have had him transfer the vassals with those counties.

Delegate, make sure you are not over your vassal limit or demense limit. A large revolt when crushed should give a 15 point opinion boost to all vassals. Also scroll over an angry vassal and find out whats making them pissed. Also... do you hold every duchy title? vassals do not like you having more than 2 duchy titles, you can have as many kingdom/empire titles without an opinion hit but too many vassal titles and -10 per each beyond two. Giving out duchies will reduce the hate and also make whoever you gave it too love very very happy if you transfer over control of the counts within it to them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can also just destroy ducal titles, although counts in those duchies will not like you for it. If you've got a whole duchy that you own the territory of that you plan on keeping in perpetuity, then you should probably just destroy that title.

If you're riding up close to your vassal limit, that's probably time to just start handing out duchies either way. Powerful vassals are a pain when they hate you and threaten your power, but if you keep a powerful vassal who likes you, they can be great. They can go off and make their own conquests or you can transfer your more annoying lesser vassals to their control.

In my last game I had spent the longest time trying to slowly whittle down iconoclasm, but every time a viceroyalty transferred back to me, I couldn't tell the heretical counts to convert because there was a war going on, but I kept choosing zealous, faithful orthodox dukes, and when I finally instituted the religious revocation law, the entire empire broke out into a thunderdome of vassals revoking vassals with no effort from me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gin_Rummy posted:

Oh yeah, my vassals loathe me.

That's a big part of your problem then. Vassals that love you don't join factions. Sometimes just sending gifts is enough to make marginal vassals drop out of factions, but if they hate you it is probably too late for that.

One way out when everyone hates you is to arrest everyone. One at a time, of course, starting with the guys you have valid cause to arrest. You'll rack up tyranny, but since everyone already hates you that won't matter. Aim to arrest all the dukes and any count with more than one holding (or all the counts). Once they are in prison they can't do much as long as you never let them out. By the time their heirs inherit you won't be a new ruler and most of the tyranny will have run out the clock.

Or once they are under arrest you can revoke all or most of their titles. This leaves you with a huge pile of titles and tyranny that make everyone left hate you. Hand out those titles to people who don't hate you, people who weren't in court when you did the bad things. You can invite randoms from other places, but I prefer to create new men using the "invite holy man" decision for 25 piety -- they mostly suck but they are all your own religion and culture, which is nice. (Inviting commanders and noblemen cost gold, holy men only cost piety.) Nobody gets more than 1 county holding, even the dukes. If you are keeping any old counts around, make sure you transfer their vassalage to one of the new dukes -- they still hate you, but you aren't their direct liege anymore and they don't hate their new liege. All your new low-power vassals love you, because you gave them a title. It will take a couple generations for any of the new guys to accumulate enough power to be troublesome.

What to do with the old guys is tricky. If you kill/banish them their heirs may come back to haunt you as adventurers. You can leave them in prison with a single county, and then transfer vassalage of that county to one of your new dukes. The count will hate you for the rest of his life, but he is toothless in prison and you aren't his direct liege anymore anyway. If you are ever desperate for cash you can ransom them for 70 gold a pop. His sons will hang around their courts hating you, but only one of them will ever get a title, so they aren't a rebellion threat. However, they may join plots to kill you and your heirs, so having them around isn't completely safe either.

Works okay, you just have to be careful to do all your tyranny stuff before you invite the new guys, so they don't start with a tyranny malus.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can also just destroy ducal titles, although counts in those duchies will not like you for it. If you've got a whole duchy that you own the territory of that you plan on keeping in perpetuity, then you should probably just destroy that title.

Maybe I'm misreading this but if you hold everything in a duchy you shouldn't destroy the title, you can hold two at once without any penalty for holding too many.

You can also hold two of your highest titles with vassals in them (kingdoms in the original question's case) without a negative opinion penalty if you have your capital in one and your primary title as the other.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So far as I know, there's no real advantage to holding duke titles if you're a king unless either you want the de jure claim on the counties in the duchy or you want to give away the entire duchy easily. Destroying the title frees up those two duke slots for later.

Maybe there's some kind of prestige bonus? I usually ignore prestige if I'm not playing a pagan

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

My go-to way for dealing with troublesome vassals is to just marry off some spare relatives to get non-aggression pacts with them and keep them out of factions permanently. When my ruler gets old I always try to have a few close relatives available to use right after succession since that's when you're most vulnerable to factions.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Well I had finally settled everyone down and began to move on England with about 60 years left in the game... but then an English revolt rose up against their despotic liege, they won, and then swore fealty to the Mongols so now I don’t know what the gently caress.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

SlothfulCobra posted:

So far as I know, there's no real advantage to holding duke titles if you're a king unless either you want the de jure claim on the counties in the duchy or you want to give away the entire duchy easily. Destroying the title frees up those two duke slots for later.

Maybe there's some kind of prestige bonus? I usually ignore prestige if I'm not playing a pagan

It gives you a small prestige boost, yeah. I think it's .2 per duchy. It's small but if you can have it why not? I don't really try to do the conquer single counties to get a de jure claim on a duchy thing if I'm beyond count or duke anyway, it's better to go for inheritance claims on whole duchies or kingdoms if you can't holy war or whatever. If you don't have one yourself there's usually a nephew or something of the current holder sitting around who you can press it for.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

SlothfulCobra posted:

One reason to hold lower titles is that if you get ousted as king by a faction you still have a large power base to fall back on and retake your throne. If all you have is your demesne and the top level title then one lost rebellion can make you start from scratch.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Just picked up EU Rome at a thrift shop, is it any fun? Or did I waste my fifty cents?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

It's pretty old school but can be fun. Hopefully you got the expansion pack (Vae Victis) too because then you can play Wiz's mod (Reign of the Ancients) that makes it so much better.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It's really dumb that you can't usurp titles from characters that are at war, especially when you own all the counties in that title.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Titles need serious rework for CK3; things like conflicting titles (Why should a Pagan give a poo poo that a Christian or Muslim claims to be the Duke and vice versa?) non-hierarchal ones (so a duke can have a king vassal like ole Normandy), ways to get claims that aren't just random chance every year (Pay for them with prestige! Make modifiers for if they were in your family, let you make them cheaper if they never existed and so on)

Honestly, I'd hope for a lil bit like how EU3 -> 4 was in many ways just 3 with all the DLC integrated into a whole. Favours being a thing that is inherent to the system, more interpersonal drama, that sorta thing.

They need to have content designers sit and watch telenovelas or their historical equivalents really

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Decadence mechanics need a total reboot. The Mutatelite/Ashari split is great by the way, please keep something similar.

I would love more buildings for your holdings. Including megastructure equivalents like in Stellaris.

I don't need naval combat at all by the way, they can spend the development time on more important things.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Traits for penis and breast size. Duh.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some more traits would be cool. And perhaps more effects for traits, like the events you get when your character is a berserker for example.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Traits for penis and breast size. Duh.
I always remember one that apparently added a bunch of sex style ones too. Like, "Greek Love" expertise, which gave opinion bonuses but maluses to fertility

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A general trade system apart from only the Silk Road would be nice as well.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the dick size mod sounds unironically hilarious

e: it also adds vampires, which makes me want a legit good vampire mod for CK2. there's like a billion vampire mods, what's the least lovely?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the dick size mod sounds unironically hilarious

e: it also adds vampires, which makes me want a legit good vampire mod for CK2. there's like a billion vampire mods, what's the least lovely?

Geheimnisnacht

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
With CK3 I'm expecting a similar development towards historical particularity and specificity instead of genericness. This is what happened with EUIV, where different nations and regions are differentiated with every major update, which are even themed after specific countries.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
CK3 should just abandon this weird "Europe" setting and make After the End the default.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

bgreman posted:

CK3 should just abandon this weird "Europe" setting and make After the End the default.

Only if Paradox hires Ofaloaf.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
i'm gay but i keep having kids this is loving annoying

gently caress gavelkind

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
CK2: i'm gay but i keep having kids this is loving annoying

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
One of my gay rulers had 12 kids, another 7, all daughters, and then he finally sired a son... a dwarf.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

CK2: i'm gay but i keep having kids this is loving annoying

This is one of the few threads outside E/N where posting "im gay" doesn't get you probated. Instead, you get strategy advice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kill your wife, marry an old lady. There are often genius widows over 45 with great stats just hanging around waiting to die. If you still manage to father more children, then I regret to inform you that you have been cursed with a magic dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Kill your wife, marry an old lady. There are often genius widows over 45 with great stats just hanging around waiting to die. If you still manage to father more children, then I regret to inform you that you have been cursed with a magic dick.

Crusader Kings II: you have been cursed with a magic dick

• Locked thread