Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
What drags Borderlands 2 down is that they made a good game and then just made it suck for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Schneider Inside Her posted:

What drags Borderlands 2 down is that they made a good game and then just made it suck for some reason

Biggest offender being that ultimately, the game punishes the player for leveling up.

The enemy HP scales faster than weapon damage after hitting lvl 50 so more you play, the worse the bullet sponge effect becomes.

EDIT: And the BL2 Pre-sequel which fixes this problem and in general is the superior product, does not have enough content to level characters anywhere near the level gap. If I remember correctly, the Newgame+ starts somewhere around lvl 30, which is just a bit over half of the possible skill points.

So basically, if you skip sidecontent, you barely even unlock the first top-tier skill during the first playthrough. If you want to actually have enough points to play around with the character builds, you need to play through the game twice before that.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 12:59 on Mar 22, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
At the moment all sex scenes I've seen in videogames are hilarious and awkward, and I wish more games attempted this.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
The best sex in video games is in New Vegas - where you get pounded in the butt like your in a Chuck Tingle novel.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

BL2 Pre-sequel which fixes this problem and in general is the superior product
It doesn't, and it isn't.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think romantic relationships in video games can be well-written just like anything else, but not when done for the express purpose of getting the player's rocks off. Bioware romances always have that veneer of skeeze about them because the end goal is, let's be honest, to provide cheap thrills and titillation for the player rather than explore character in any meaningful way. That's not to say anything about the sex scenes, which are a whole other can of worms.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
At the time I really liked Gwendolyn and Oswald romance in Odin Sphere because of how many dragons each of them kills to stay together :black101:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Not really a bad thing but Subnautica is really fun if you don't play it on Survival mode (Which adds hunger and thirst meters). It's incredibly liberating to explore an alien ocean when you don't have to nip home every half-hour to scoff a Mars Bar. This is the long-lost sequel to Lego Rock Raiders I always wanted.

Actual bad things:

There are two islands in the game which for some reason aren't visible unless your a hundred metres close. Here the pop-in and draw distances issues become noticeable because they look absolutely hideous. On minute you're in a colorful Jellyfish biome, the next you're in the island from Proteus.

For some reason the game's framerate tanks when your walking around the Alien bases even though nothing technically demanding is going on.

Movement on solid-ground feels shite as well.

The gamepad controls feel buggy. There's no option to zoom-in on the menu when you're customising vehicles.

Yeah the islands are loving weird - you should be able to see them from your craft as they're huge and only a kilometre away or so, but if you swim towards them while keeping your head above water, you'll see that there are clouds that part as you approach, to mask the pop-in. It feels cheap, and a really annoying way to remove what could be some very useful landmarks.

It's also strange because the Aurora (while obviously bigger, yes) is visible no matter where you are.

But yeah they should've kept the whole game, except when you're in your own base, underwater.

I think they fixed the framerate issue recently, didn't they? I remember having a serious problem where the game would hitch every couple seconds in certain areas, especially in the Cyclops but then the most recent patch came out and it was fine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Things dragging Bloodborne and all the Dark Souls down is that I liked Boletaria more than the other game worlds.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I hate when a game will let you run indefinitely but your character will breathe heavy after 3 seconds.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I can run for pretty long distances and I don't like it when playable characters are more out of shape than I am.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

When you equip certain things in Yakuza 6, your stats decrease in exchange for more XP. Which would be fine, except that for some reason it also lowers your stamina, which only governs how much you can run around. You do a bit of running in combat, but very little - most of the time you're only running around town, and equipping two of these items will make it impossible for Kiryu to run more than ten feet without stopping to catch his breath. It's pretty dumb andteres really no reason for it to occur. Just let me be weak in combat!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

I hate when a game will let you run indefinitely but your character will breathe heavy after 3 seconds.

I hate when games will give you infinite fighting stamina but then have a 'run stamina' as well. Link can swing a sword around forever as long as it's not hitting a wall but if he has to run he'll get tired in fifteen seconds.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, it's a kiss and fade to black.

If SIE has her way with Mike, there’s some pretty funny poo poo through the last level. Your former boss yells at you because he saw it on the surveillance camera, and the end of game debriefing mentions world Intellegence agencies are desperately trying to figure out what the piece of security footage Mike downloaded to his phone and watched 198 times.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Been playing Tomb Raider's survival mode this morning and Lara Croft is truly a woman after my own heart. Can run for miles uninterrupted but gets hungry again five minutes after eating a whole loving deer. Never before have I felt such a deep connection to a video game character.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Been playing Tomb Raider's survival mode this morning and Lara Croft is truly a woman after my own heart. Can run for miles uninterrupted but gets hungry again five minutes after eating a whole loving deer. Never before have I felt such a deep connection to a video game character.

This except for the part where she can run for more than five minutes without collapsing into a sweating pile.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i've been playing a lot of Path of Exile after bouncing off of it hard the last few times i played; something clicked with me this time and I'm loving it, aside from a couple things

a) genderlocked classes is still horseshit
b) the Eternal Labyrinth is an endgame area that gives you the last couple ascendancy points, which are EXTREMELY important for any given build to function well. in order to access it, you need to find and complete six trials that spawn within maps (maps are basically rifts from diablo 3). there's no telling if a trial has spawned in your given map, you just have to stumble over it. also, it's very common that when you do find a trial, it's one you've already done. i'm at four out of six trials completed and it's been hell grinding maps to find the last two, to the point that the Eternal Labyrinth is monster level 75 and my character is level 85

ultra frustrating

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Borderlands 2: I got the goty version in a steam sale but apparently there's a second pass worth of DLC that's not included, though its just skins and filler missions.

The Headhunter missions are actually surprisingly good all things considered, but I also dislike of most of the core DLC, so YMMV.

The only difference between vault hunters is their skill trees and you can't use any skills until level 6. Why not have skills available at level 1? The shootings gameplay is pretty straightforward so there was no need to delay your options.

Maybe by the time we get to Borderlands 4 they'll have finally made it so skills unlock at level 1. Each game also shaves down the time it takes for the game to actually start, so maybe by then we'll also no longer have glacially slow, fully scripted tutorial segments either.

...OTOH BL3 is guaranteed to be a hosed up mess of a Destiny clone soooooo

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

John Murdoch posted:

The Headhunter missions are actually surprisingly good all things considered, but I also dislike of most of the core DLC, so YMMV.

Maybe by the time we get to Borderlands 4 they'll have finally made it so skills unlock at level 1. Each game also shaves down the time it takes for the game to actually start, so maybe by then we'll also no longer have glacially slow, fully scripted tutorial segments either.

...OTOH BL3 is guaranteed to be a hosed up mess of a Destiny clone soooooo

There's actually movement on a BL3?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
BL2 poo poo the bed on the second NG+ for me but there’s worse problems for a game to have. The Pre-Sequel blew chunks though. The constant backtracking was boring. The fact it didn’t give you an objective marker until the exposition was done, so you can’t even start heading out for a minute or two made it even worse.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Gearbox strikes me as developer that is very talented, hell Randy Pitchford can voice a pretty convincing redneck. But they keep loving up their reputation: The Colonial Marines lawsuit, their planned partnership with G2A, their 60-buck repackaging of Bulletstorm, finishing Duke Nukem Forever which would be admirable if the game wasn't poo poo, their AAA packaging of We Happy Few, and making Battleborn instead of Borderlands 3. They're like Crytek only they make occasionally successful games instead of tech-demos.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Aleph Null posted:

There's actually movement on a BL3?

Insomuch that they explicitly pulled the Battleborn team off of that to work on it. I take their continued silence to either mean they're taking the project very seriously OR it's been a non-stop trainwreck that's going to blow up as soon as it launches. Won't help that 2 "every game needs to print money like GTA Online, F2P monetization in premium games" K is publishing it.

Gearbox strikes me as developer that is very talented, hell Randy Pitchford can voice a pretty convincing redneck. But they keep loving up their reputation: The Colonial Marines lawsuit, their planned partnership with G2A, their 60-buck repackaging of Bulletstorm, finishing Duke Nukem Forever which would be admirable if the game wasn't poo poo, their AAA packaging of We Happy Few, and making Battleborn instead of Borderlands 3. They're like Crytek only they make occasionally successful games instead of tech-demos.

I do have a fondness for Gearbox as a developer (Randy Pitchford specifically far less so) but whoever is in charge of their business dealings is a complete and total dipshit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I think the Geralt/Yen romance works because there's already decades of backstory between the two of them, she isn't just someone you happened to meet, got to maximum Affinity by accident and then had a dragon tell you is your eternal soulmate before the ending cutscene uncomfortably implies that you bang them. They are a 3-foot-tall jester.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Insomuch that they explicitly pulled the Battleborn team off of that to work on it. I take their continued silence to either mean they're taking the project very seriously OR it's been a non-stop trainwreck that's going to blow up as soon as it launches. Won't help that 2 "every game needs to print money like GTA Online, F2P monetization in premium games" K is publishing it.
GTA Online is a game in which you can be banned for stealing someone's car, which I assume means shooting will be outlawed in BL3.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

GTA Online is a game in which you can be banned for stealing someone's car, which I assume means shooting will be outlawed in BL3.

GTAV is a great framework for a game, but both the story and online tend to try to punish people for playing a GTA game. It’s nuts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I want to like gearbox having met some
very cool gearbox folks IRL and with BL2 being one of my favorite games ever, but there’s no denying that it’s way easier to say what that game does wrong than what it does right, which makes it feel like a lot of its good parts outside of the humor and art style just happened by accident. more seriously, they have a lot to prove after DNF and ACM, and randy pitchford gives them a pretty awful public image. That man is utterly loving incapable of admitting that he or absolutely anyone affiliated with the company has made a mistake, ever. He was on twitter crusading against ACM criticisms after that whole shitshow, and throughout it all he refused to admit that there was anything even remotely wrong or misleading about what they had done. Before that, I recall when I was big into BL2 there was a bug following a patch that pretty seriously broke a popular build. It caused a bit of a stir among people who followed the game closely, and he actually showed up on their forums and wrote a pretty lengthy post about it all. At first glance it was sort of cool that he did that, but what I really took away from it was how many words he managed to write without ever once so much as implying that anyone had ever screwed up, at all. His attitude really makes him come across as disingenuous all the time and he gives gearbox a terrible image.

I feel like working under him has to be a lot like working in the White House right now. You quietly, desperately want your boss to get the gently caress off of social media and stop making you look terrible, but you can’t make him.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Mar 22, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Started playing Shadow of War and I'm kind of annoyed at how slow this story starts out, especially after all their marketing about big battles and commanding armies.

Also on the PS4 there's a really awful noise that plays from your controller after you kill a Captain and it is super loud too.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

You're supposed to put a bad example after mine

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I like exploring in Xenoblade 2 a lot - but boy do I wish these people could move faster.
To my knowledge, there isn't any speed boosting gems like there were in Xeno 1, where your guys could haul rear end pretty quickly.
I think I have one blade that supposedly makes you move faster (Boreas) - but I don't really notice a difference.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

GTA Online is a game in which you can be banned for stealing someone's car

is this real?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i've been playing a lot of Path of Exile after bouncing off of it hard the last few times i played; something clicked with me this time and I'm loving it, aside from a couple things

a) genderlocked classes is still horseshit
Yep

quote:

b) the Eternal Labyrinth is an endgame area that gives you the last couple ascendancy points, which are EXTREMELY important for any given build to function well. in order to access it, you need to find and complete six trials that spawn within maps (maps are basically rifts from diablo 3). there's no telling if a trial has spawned in your given map, you just have to stumble over it. also, it's very common that when you do find a trial, it's one you've already done. i'm at four out of six trials completed and it's been hell grinding maps to find the last two, to the point that the Eternal Labyrinth is monster level 75 and my character is level 85

It's trivial to get them all from other players if you're willing to, so it's either not so bad or doubly terrible depending on your perspective

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

im pooping! posted:

is this real?

Not exactly. But you can be banned for "griefing", which is loosely defined and strangely enforced. It does include blowing up someone’s car more than once.

In a GTA game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

GTA Online keeps changing stuff to make it harder to mess with other peoples cars assumably because someone high up is too attached to the whole car insurance thing.

Borderlands The Pre-Sequel makes the setting (the moon) so ugly that I can’t be bothered to finish a full playthrough.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's an ordeal enough to get to the lava zone in Subnautica, so why the gently caress do they put in those warper enemies in the way? I can't exactly get out of my power-armour into the boiling atmosphere and stun them. It would take half an hour to come here with the propulsion arm.

Oddly enough the reapers terrify me, but the big guy who eats reapers is adorable and looks like a sock puppet.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Mar 23, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Why aren't you in the cyclops? Just stick that prawn in the cyclops and drive it down there. I stored all the spare arms in the prawn itself so if I ever needed somethin gdifferent I just swapped em out.

The end game of subnautica is deeply flawed but I loved the poo poo out of it anyway, I found having a real actual ending to a survival game like that was very satisfying and I'm hoping more go that way in the future.

'survive until you get bored or die' is alot less interesting to me.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Morpheus posted:

Yeah the islands are loving weird - you should be able to see them from your craft as they're huge and only a kilometre away or so, but if you swim towards them while keeping your head above water, you'll see that there are clouds that part as you approach, to mask the pop-in. It feels cheap, and a really annoying way to remove what could be some very useful landmarks.

It's also strange because the Aurora (while obviously bigger, yes) is visible no matter where you are.
It's a deliberate design decision to keep them hidden from the player until the game points you to both (which it eventually does).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Not to mention, I feel like the game would be disarmed a good bit if you could immediately spot some nice dry land to go trundle around on for a while right off the bat. Getting out of the pod and seeing only water in every direction, barring the flaming wreck of the Aurora is a great "poo poo :smith:" moment.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's an ordeal enough to get to the lava zone in Subnautica, so why the gently caress do they put in those warper enemies in the way? I can't exactly get out of my power-armour into the boiling atmosphere and stun them. It would take half an hour to come here with the propulsion arm.

Oddly enough the reapers terrify me, but the big guy who eats reapers is adorable and looks like a sock puppet.

My playthrough of subnautica was enhanced drastically when I turned off enemy aggression.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

RareAcumen posted:

I hate when games will give you infinite fighting stamina but then have a 'run stamina' as well. Link can swing a sword around forever as long as it's not hitting a wall but if he has to run he'll get tired in fifteen seconds.

Maybe it's a laziness meter. Fight all day for your life, but gently caress, who likes running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I'm going to have to disagree on the outset because until they made Borderlands the only really noteworthy things they made were ports and spinoffs of half-life games and a tony hawk game. They kind of lucked in to borderlands making exactly what people wanted at the time and while I have opinions about borderlands - people like it so whatever.

What really, really stands out, however, is that Gearbox is unquestionably and hilariously greedy. Not only did they shove off development of a game onto a third party developer, but they embezzled the budget into their own project and tried to pin the entire blame solely on the people they offloaded their work onto. Later on they made several DLC for Borderlands 2 that straight up weren't covered by the Season Pass - and after the fact decided to make a second season pass. Something people bent over backwards to excuse because it's totally cool to lie by omission - since they didn't tell people there would be more DLC beyond what the season pass contained there was little reason to expect it. Their handling of the Borderlands 2 DLC is almost as bad as Capcom's "We'll sell you the second half of the story and ending" garbage.

Battleborn was, by all observation, an attempt to make the Borderlands magic strike twice. With Borderlands they got in ahead of the curve and struck gold with their game before a flood of clones could follow. With Battleborn, they were following the latest trend trying to do what games like Overwatch already did better. If it were made more recently, I wholly expect it would have been a Player Unknown's Battlegrounds style shooter instead.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

GTA Online keeps changing stuff to make it harder to mess with other peoples cars assumably because someone high up is too attached to the whole car insurance thing.

Car insurance was a dumb idea and GTA Online's obstinate decision to punish players for playing a GTA game like a GTA game really just kind of poo poo it up really, really hard.