Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ElizLanders/status/976847312000552966

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- They'd sell somewhat fewer goods that way.
- Also it'd be an admittedly somewhat handy revenue source for the US.
- Wal-Mart might move to other suppliers for things if the tariffs are intelligently targeted (lol).

The bigger issue is that China's going to engage in retaliatory tariffs, and might get us dinged by the World Trade Organization (who are already probably going to get real mad about the stupid, stupid steel and aluminum tariffs).

Well, that, and if we undermine the World Trade Organization, Trump's just discarded a tool of American hegemony for no good reason. :saddowns:

The third point is probably the most likely yeah. I somewhat forgot that China is not our only source of criminally low paid workers, there are plenty of other countries around there we can exploit.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

I thought we literally couldn't do this

also, wouldn't this effectively mean that this will have almost no impact on the price of steel in the US and probably won't even save the jobs it was supposed to save?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

also, wouldn't this effectively mean that this will have almost no impact on the price of steel in the US and probably won't even save the jobs it was supposed to save?

Yup. Its just more bluster.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

lol gently caress you Mexico, Russia (???), Japan

theflyingorc posted:

and yeah, it's also a bit tricky to keep the steel from just flowing into Canada instead

Vladimir Putin posted:

So Canada and Mexico still on the poo poo list

oh right i'm dumb

Canada is presumably because he thinks he can renegotiate NAFTA without, for example, agreeing to abolish right-to-work

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

He doesn't give a poo poo about actual jobs.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GreyjoyBastard posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

actually i misremembered that a bit, let me correct myself: the WTO Appellate Body will drop below the requirement of 3 members that is needed to operate very soon, possibly 2019, and as of now the US is blocking all replacements for members whose term is up. if they keep that blocking policy up, the Appellate Body will be in-operational by the time a challenge to the tariffs would have proceeded far enough to come before it.

here's an economist seriously advocating the EU prepare itself for a "post-WTO world":

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/03/u-s-steel-aluminium-tariffs-eu-respond.html

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CRISPYBABY posted:

Trump is very happy with his legal team, because he's the best and only hires the best.

His new shortlist for a replacement for Dowd, scrawled on the back of a golf score card:

Andy Griffith
Sam Waterston
Stephanie March
Bob Odenkirk

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vladimir Putin posted:

they were exempted already

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Vladimir Putin posted:

They already announced that the tariffs wouldn't hit Canada or Mexico. I'm assuming that tweet is talking about countries in addition to those two.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

botany posted:

actually i misremembered that a bit, let me correct myself: the WTO Appellate Body will drop below the requirement of 3 members that is needed to operate very soon, possibly 2019, and as of now the US is blocking all replacements for members whose term is up. if they keep that blocking policy up, the Appellate Body will be in-operational by the time a challenge to the tariffs would have proceeded far enough to come before it.

here's an economist seriously advocating the EU prepare itself for a "post-WTO world":

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/03/u-s-steel-aluminium-tariffs-eu-respond.html

this might actually be in the running for the most offensive thing about the Trump administration for me because it's so breathtakingly dumb

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

:toot:

okay, the concrete industry is probably calmed down now

wonder how Putin feels about being left off the friend list

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Seph posted:

They already announced that the tariffs wouldn't hit Canada or Mexico. I'm assuming that tweet is talking about countries in addition to those two.

So these are tariffs on Chinese steel is what you’re telling me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Vladimir Putin posted:

So these are tariffs on Chinese steel is what you’re telling me

China-Russia-Japan and smaller players.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So basically, he put out a super inflammatory trade sanctions to try to help Saccone win a House seat for a few months, then he lost, so they're just gutting the entire thing to try to appease our allies?

Art of the Deal

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Crow Jane posted:

He definitely thinks he's incredibly charming and handsome in addition to being right all the time

Honestly, Trump reminds me a bit of Chris-Chan in this way, although even Trump is more functional than Chris/Chrissy/whatever. They're both fat-rear end manbabies who think they're handsome and clever, and throw a tantrum at the slightest bit of adversity.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Honestly, Trump reminds me a bit of Chris-Chan in this way, although even Trump is more functional than Chris/Chrissy/whatever. They're both fat-rear end manbabies who think they're handsome and clever, and throw a tantrum at the slightest bit of adversity.

the word you're looking for is "narcissist"

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

China-Russia-Japan and smaller players.
Completely pointless. Just a typical Strong Man move from Trump.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kamsahamnida, Trump.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The only person Joe Biden ever beat up is Anita Hill.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

So basically, he put out a super inflammatory trade sanctions to try to help Saccone win a House seat for a few months, then he lost, so they're just gutting the entire thing to try to appease our allies?

Art of the Deal

Degrees of chess your puny human brain can’t even comprehend.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/phillydotcom/status/976539733168975872?s=20

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ought ten posted:

It’s a corvette actually, idiot

A corvette is merely a small frigate which, as everyone knows, is a kind of bird. Did I just invent flying cars? No... WE did.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm not entirely sure how that would work, the tarrifs are on things that we are importing from China, right? Wouldn't they just recoup the prices by making their goods slightly more expensive?

You aren't going to convince me that Wal-Mart is going to stop buying from them.

My wife is a buyer for a major home decor retailer, and yes both the suppliers and the retailers are operating on tiny margins so the tariffs will be directly reflected in the prices. While most of the things she buys are still from China they have been sourcing some items from other southeast Asian countries, and that may increase. Also many of those retailers have their own product development departments which get to decide where they manufacture, and this may cause them to manufacture more things outside of China (but still definitely not in the US).

Her team's biggest concern is the headache of traveling there. Right now the visa situation is easy, but during previous trade kerfuffles I guess China has made the process more tedious in retaliation.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Cable Guy posted:

Hasn't he got Harder working the case now... (probably payed for by Thiel or Mercers) Maybe he's cleaning the deadwood out. Cohen next..?

Harder and Cohen are on the Stormy Daniels case, they've never been involved with the Mueller investigation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Scorpion strikes again

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

Which is funny because we've already caught Chinese companies using Mexico to bypass aluminum tariffs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not sure if this has been brought up, but re: reddit post

https://freespeech.org/stories/ivanka-trump-now-sitting-in-as-secretary-of-state/

quote:

Ivanka Trump will sit in for now-fired Secretary of State Rex Tillerson at a meeting with the South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha, in the latest chapter of Ivanka Trump furthering her conflicts of interest and skirting anti-nepotism laws.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

InfiniteZero posted:

His new shortlist for a replacement for Dowd, scrawled on the back of a golf score card:

Andy Griffith Ben Matlock
Sam Waterston Jack McCoy
Stephanie March Alexandra Cabot
Bob Odenkirk Saul Goodman
Fixed that for you... Trump only thinks in TV.

CommieGIR posted:

NPR is running an article on John Bolton and his link to Russian Gun Rights videos

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/22/5958...ontent=20180322
The russian NRA is called The Right to Bear Arms...?
:ussr::tbear:

Arturo Ui posted:

Harder and Cohen are on the Stormy Daniels case, they've never been involved with the Mueller investigation.
kk... too many lawyers... so many cases.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 22, 2018

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nepotism doesn’t apply to daughter wives

Bing bong so simple

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

eyebeem posted:

He doesn't give a poo poo about actual jobs.

he cares about saving 200 jobs at a specific factory and acting like he saved US manufacturing a whole lot

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Trump doesn't even have the imagination to come up with something as derivative as Sonichu, though

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Vladimir Putin posted:

Pretty sure Canada and Mexico are still part of NAFTA and we actually cannot raise tarriffs against them, but maybe I'm wrong.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I can't wait until Matthew Perry plays John Dowd in the lifetime movie about this.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Where are we with the upcoming massive NK summit? Any word?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

NPR is running an article on John Bolton and his link to Russian Gun Rights videos

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/22/5958...ontent=20180322

Don't Russians have like zero rights to own guns? What is a Russian gun rights organization? Does it actually advocate for Russians being able to have guns? Are they able to appear in public and advocate for this in Russia, or advertise on TV and in print?

Or is it just some kind of sham to funnel money from Putin and Russian oligarchs to Trump, the GOP and the U.S. NRA?

Also, to the poster who asked "why oh why is Trump so deferential to Putin and Russia" I think most of us feel like it's a combination of:

-Trump's wealth is entirely derived from Russian oligarchs, money laundering etc. and he probably has huge debt to those same sources

-P tape (and probably other sexual stuff that is on tape) is real, and Trump is blackmailed due to this and financial shenanigans, giving Putin huge leverage over him

-All above leverage nonwithstanding, Trump honestly admires Putin and other powerful dictators who can do whatever poo poo they want, corrupt or otherwise, with their countries.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/976854950667055106
I guess something with a 5 looked nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Gonna grab some popcorn and watch the stocks crash

• Locked thread