Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Green Goblin, like the Joker, are villains that should be put out to pasture and just not be used. Yes they're the most iconic villains, but it feels like such a crutch for writers to use them. You don't have to do any work to introduce them or show why they're a threat. That's why the Vulture was such a brilliant choice for a villain.

[..]

Okay, with JL being a giant failure, I cannot imagine WB isn't looking at the DC movies and going to let them keep going in this form. Aquaman is going to come out and so is Shazam, of course Wonder Woman 2 is a shoe in, but outside of that. I really doubt the Flash or The Batman is going to happen, no is anything else. Like Suicide Squad 2? I really doubt that will happen, nor Gotham City Sirens. Batgirl is dead. Thing is, maybe Aquaman will be really good? Maybe Shazam is the hopeful happy story that DC should have been doing since the start, and maybe that will turn things around. I don't think the grimdark blue filter thing is popular anymore, I mean the world is lovely enough to go see movies that also feature a lovely world.

Suicide Squad made huge amounts of money, more net then BvS or JL, so if anything is safe it's that. The main reasons for that are Harley Quinn and the Joker... which is the actual reason the Joker is never going away: he moves product. He sells media that he's in, he sells shitloads of merch, by most metrics he's more popular then Superman, DC's iconic flagship character*. It doesn't hurt that he's easy to write for (he's batshit crazy, so his plans and motivations don't need to make sense) and his very appearance ratchets up tension even if he doesn't end up doing anything. So yeah, even if it would be good for Batman as a character, he isn't going anywhere.

*I suspect this is at least partially because Superman's recent appearances outside comics have mostly been limited to lovely movies, whereas Joker is occasionally in stuff that people don't end up regretting watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's actually one of the things I didn't like about GOTG2. It was cute for a minute or two but it just goes on ages and it wasn't even clever or interesting to look at. It didn't help that a ton of the marketing had this laser-sharp focus on Baby Groot. By the time the movie rolled around I was already sick of seeing him and then the first five minutes are just him dancing around while something more interesting is relegated to the background.

I thought the banter in that intro sequence felt really forced and fake too, like it was someone trying to copy the style of the first movie and missing the mark.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I would really like for GotG 3 to end with a dancing sequence if they wanna go full cheesy. In fact, they should have the villain of the movie actually accept a dance-off challenge, or otherwise have the villain defeated with the power of music, because come on, if any MCU movie is gonna do it it's gotta be GotG.

I have a lot of favorite MCU moments but the ones that made me feel are:
Iron Man: "You've just stepped into a bigger world."
Avengers: "There are always men like you."
AoS: "You jumped through a hole in the universe for me!" >:)
AoU: "I was born yesterday"
Civil War: "My father made that shield."
GotG 2: Father and Son

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
William H Macy as J Jonah Jameson
Michael Fassbender as Norman Osborn

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I thought the banter in that intro sequence felt really forced and fake too, like it was someone trying to copy the style of the first movie and missing the mark.

Honestly, almost the entirety of GotG2's attempts at comedy felt that way to me.

Like, there was a... sincerity? Some kind of quality that made the first movie so great that I felt the second one failed to get except for a few scenes.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I can't think of a single joke in GotG2 that landed for me the way "you actually got his arm!" or "my reflexes are too fast. I will catch it" or Yondu seeing the Troll doll and just grinning or "No, that doesn't follow. See, I want it more" did.

Which reminds me of what could easily be my favorite MCU moment: the prison break, when Rocket gives everyone something they need to do; and then while everyone else is fighting cut to Peter just politely asking that guy for his arm.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Deadpool 2 Trailer 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFpgIoYPGRc

So yea, it is going to be the X-Force.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

Deadpool 2 Trailer 2

This looks good. I wonder how well X-force will work though. I think the first Deadpool movie worked really well because of the small cast, so expanding it too much might make things a little messy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I shot all the gluten into the sun so it can't not hurt us anymore

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Who is that woman with the electric whip?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Samuringa posted:

Deadpool 2 Trailer 2

he hits that dude with a brick so hard

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm more excited than I should be to see that X-Force grey suit Deadpool costume on the big screen.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
All that aside, it looks kinda bad. Like usually they put the best bits in the trailer and that all seemed kinda terrible to me, aside from "man I wish I'd finished college."

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Hmmmm. I was hoping Deadpool 2 would be him protecting the kid (probably a young Apocalypse or other future villain) from Cable in a kind of adaptation of Rememder’s Uncanny X-Force run but this does not look great

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jagermonster posted:

Hmmmm. I was hoping Deadpool 2 would be him protecting the kid (probably a young Apocalypse or other future villain) from Cable in a kind of adaptation of Rememder’s Uncanny X-Force run but this does not look great
It’s still really hard to make out the plot from what we have seen so far

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ryan Reynolds got Tim Miller fired because he wanted to do more than just 2 hours of lame broad dick jokes. I wouldn't expect much from it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

We also haven’t seen the actual villain, apparently it’s Black Tom Cassidy

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I had a weird thought while on the bus: Steve is the youngest Avenger, aside from Peter and Wanda, right? He probably was what, 21 or 22 when Cap1 happened?

The Vision doesn't count.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
These last few pages have just reminded me how lucky as dumb comic book nerds we are right now and also how Cap is the best cinematic superhero. All three of his movies are great (the first one being the weakest but I love it) and Chris Evans just absolutely nails Steve Rogers. Winter Soldier is one of my favorite action movies period. My favorite moment, non action, in an MCU film is the Cap musical montage in The First Avenger. It's so 1940s and cheesy I love it.

BrianWilly posted:

This whole sequence, capping off with this line, is probably what elevated the Civil War from "This is a great comic book film" to "This is some of the best stuff being made these days, period" in my eyes.

Yeah. Civil War is great and I think a lot of the underlying themes and where the story zigs instead of zags are kinda under appreciated by a lot of people because they did the big standard superhero fight spectacles so well

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Samuringa posted:

I had a weird thought while on the bus: Steve is the youngest Avenger, aside from Peter and Wanda, right? He probably was what, 21 or 22 when Cap1 happened?

The Vision doesn't count.

Cap was born on July 4th, 1918, frozen in 1944 (IIRC), thawed out in 2011. So he’s probably around 33-36 depending on when Infinity War is set.

MCU used to take place in whatever year the movie was released but Homecoming explicitly states that it’s 8 years after Avengers 1, so it takes place in 2020. If Infinity War is 2021, Cap would be 36.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BlackJosh posted:

(the first one being the weakest but I love it)

It’s kind of weird how much better the Marvel movies have gotten. I absolutely loved them when they came out but the new stuff is miles ahead. I rewatched Iron Man a few weeks ago and it absolutely holds up, but that doesn’t mean it’s not totally surpassed by stuff like Civil War. Some of it is the decade (!) of character development, but it’s also the writing and directing and everything else.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Aphrodite posted:

Ryan Reynolds got Tim Miller fired because he wanted to do more than just 2 hours of lame broad dick jokes. I wouldn't expect much from it.

To be fair, that's about all Deadpool 'fans' outside of the comics really expect or want.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh man, just remembered one of my favorite things: the turing-machine supercomputer. God drat that reveal was incredible, and it's such a wonderfully pulpy concept.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Jamesman posted:

This looks good. I wonder how well X-force will work though. I think the first Deadpool movie worked really well because of the small cast, so expanding it too much might make things a little messy.

Rumor is that X-Force is treated as a joke and most of them are quickly killed off on their first mission.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/976866374738989056

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bit of a misuse of "official" there.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

:(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
cap gonna die

e: can't wait for sam cap

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Although it's sad - as Chris Evans is a great Captain America - I'd love to see Bucky or Sam step into the Captain America role. Bucky seems the most likely, as his story arc seems to be leading to that as the next step.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Why couldn't it have been rdj instead

Here's hoping for Sam cap

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

I didn't ask for this. I didn't ask for any of this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

cap gonna die

e: can't wait for sam cap

Uh if you read the article it says Cap is going to be sent to live on a nice farm upstate where he can play with other superheroes

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

zoux posted:

Uh if you read the article it says Cap is going to be sent to live on a nice farm upstate where he can play with other superheroes

yeah thor, iron man, vision and hawkeye's family are gonna be there too

it will be nice :unsmith:

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

site posted:

Why couldn't it have been rdj instead

Here's hoping for Sam cap

Why not Bucky?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gotta have time to run for President.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I can believe that A4 may actually be Evans' last film, but "for now, he has no plans" is not "official" and /film is exaggerating his remarks for clickbait purposes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I want Bucky and Sam to both take up the mantle and the next Captain America move to be called The Captains of America

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I want Bucky and Sam to both take up the mantle and the next Captain America move to be called The Captains of America

hawkeye also held the shield in the comics

i'm just saying, there's even more potential here

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

The Captains of The United States of America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Soul Glo posted:

cap gonna die

No, he’s gonna get time gemmed back to finally go on his date.

• Locked thread