Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only babysitting Eos/Selene really need are positioning them in a good spot at the start of a fight to avoid unnecessary movement and hammering the pet actions to get them to go off when needed. There's a small handful of encounters where you need to be careful that they don't get hit by boss attacks or poison, but they're rare and you learn what they are quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MelvinBison posted:

I'm leveling AST to 50 at the moment and I'm having fun. The best/worst thing about AST is that it captures the feeling of playing card games: pumped when you get the cards you want or can use, absolutely depressing when you pull something completely useless. gently caress you Spire. Stop it.

SCH is fun too, but I can't shake the feeling I need to babysit the fairy the whole time just in case something goes catastrophically wrong while I'm dpsing.

Hey, Spire's good royal road fodder. :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm really loving how great ADR is for levelling alts past 50. Between that and Squadron dungeons I basically haven't had to touch POTD since resubbing for 4.2 for my alt grinds.

Conversely, I really wasn't too impressed with MSQDR - it felt like it gave less XP then ADR for a greater time investment. 50/60 also still feels a bit lame XP-wise, but that might just be because I'm comparing it to LDRs that are giving my lower level characters 1-2 levels.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Vermain posted:

The only babysitting Eos/Selene really need are positioning them in a good spot at the start of a fight to avoid unnecessary movement and hammering the pet actions to get them to go off when needed. There's a small handful of encounters where you need to be careful that they don't get hit by boss attacks or poison, but they're rare and you learn what they are quickly.
I'll go ahead and tell the story that led to it: The first dungeon I ran as SCH was Hatali. We got to the levers portion and got to a mob with 2 snakes and assorted mantises. Eos was handling the tank (a GLD) fine, so I just did dps. Then our BLM pulled the nearby lever, spawning three lightning sprites. I had to heal the BLM or else he would die, only for the GLD to die because he couldn't handle the additional mobs. We had an aoe limit break available so it worked out, but our NIN still had to open his mouth and say it wouldn't have happened if we had constant healing. :smith:

Cythereal posted:

Hey, Spire's good royal road fodder. :v:
You're right. But RR Spire only to draw Ewer next? True despair.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Friend of mine bought me the game, wondering if it'll be worth paying the sub after the disk + lv 30 free days run out. I'm having fun so far, though I'm on Coeurl (na). Started as a lancer, but switched to conjurer since my friends needed a healer to not get stuck in queues, and I'm actually surprised at how fun it is.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Friend of mine bought me the game, wondering if it'll be worth paying the sub after the disk + lv 30 free days run out. I'm having fun so far, though I'm on Coeurl (na). Started as a lancer, but switched to conjurer since my friends needed a healer to not get stuck in queues, and I'm actually surprised at how fun it is.

It gets more fun the deeper in you go. I didn't think I'd stick with it past the trial but now I have full blown MMO brain disease.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Healers can feel a bit rough early on, but once you get Conjurer to 35 and unlock Regen, you begin transitioning to a green-icon DPS class that occasionally has to (ugh) heal someone. I spend 80% of any given dungeon hurling boulders and divine bombs at enemies, and the remaining 20% scraping the tank back into his armor so that I can go back to the first part. It's good.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

i did it. i got to 20 and killed pazuzu to make a relic

i just need to kill him once more to finish a second relic, and i'm done

i dont need to go back there again

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MelvinBison posted:

I'll go ahead and tell the story that led to it: The first dungeon I ran as SCH was Hatali. We got to the levers portion and got to a mob with 2 snakes and assorted mantises. Eos was handling the tank (a GLD) fine, so I just did dps. Then our BLM pulled the nearby lever, spawning three lightning sprites. I had to heal the BLM or else he would die, only for the GLD to die because he couldn't handle the additional mobs. We had an aoe limit break available so it worked out, but our NIN still had to open his mouth and say it wouldn't have happened if we had constant healing. :smith:

If the health dips faster than I can cast GCD heals at low levels especially then there is nothing I can do about it.

The same is true for high levels tho it is much harder for a cooldown utilizing tank to completely stress my healing unless he is in complete garbage gear.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wait WHM is stealth dps? That's interesting to say the least. It's great how quick we get into dungeons with me playing healer though.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Wait WHM is stealth dps? That's interesting to say the least. It's great how quick we get into dungeons with me playing healer though.

Everything is a dps

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Once you hit 50 its anything but stealthy, because you get the best and most obnoxious AoE in the game

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Every healer is stealth DPS, WHM is just the brute force approach. As you level up, you'll get more and more heal-over-time effects and instant-cast healing not attached to the global cooldown. This means that you can either spend the rest of your time sitting around doing nothing (bad) or slapping the enemies with big rocks and stuff (good).

Healer and Tank DPS in general are really solid and important in this game. I pretty much immediately notice if I get matched with a healer who just sits on their hands waiting for people to heal, because everything takes way longer to die.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Once you hit 50 its anything but stealthy, because you get the best and most obnoxious AoE in the game

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Well played healers put out about 1/3 as much damage as a DPS and tanks about 2/3. It's pretty significant.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Gotcha, I haven't really had time to do any of that because low level random tanks go out of their way to overextend themselves. So I'm always gluing my heals to the tank to make sure they don't die horribly.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

:negative:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The 2% impact is just measuring how much he affected that fight.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Gotcha, I haven't really had time to do any of that because low level random tanks go out of their way to overextend themselves. So I'm always gluing my heals to the tank to make sure they don't die horribly.

You can try out Scholar and literally never cast a heal yourself in low level dungeons since you have a fairy slave to do it for you.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

comingafteryouall posted:

You can try out Scholar and literally never cast a heal yourself in low level dungeons since you have a fairy slave to do it for you.

This isn't an exaggeration btw. In 2.x I didn't have to cast a heal until Brayflox.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

MelvinBison posted:

This reads to me like the BLM is at fault. Don't feel bad. That the NIN blamed you for not keeping the tank up and not the BLM for bringing in three new mobs that the tank without a job stone couldn't handle is also BS.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nomadic Scholar posted:

the mark of a good healer is how low you can let your tank's HP go, and how tightly you can make 'em clench their butthole, before flawlessly saving them

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The reason I play WHM is that I don’t like micromanaging fairies, the card system depresses me, and WHM is basically just raw healing power and seeing all the green numbers pop up and health shooting back up to full gives me an erection

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
AST is fine in 8-mans. It really needs a buff in 4-mans. Yeah, most groups will get better results on SCH + WHM but Noct is the best choice for solo healing/"solo healing", and Diurnal + SCH is the highest DPS compostion by a huge margin at 90+th percentile.

Not everyone should use AST but it has a legitimate place.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There's 2 fights in this game where you have to "micromanage" your fairy.

And by that I mean place it down when fight starts so it doesn't get murdered by aoes.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I still have healer anxiety but it's reduced thanks to the death of stance dancing. Good loving riddance, old Cleric Stance.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

MelvinBison posted:

True despair is having AoE RR, you do a Sleeve Draw, get double Spire, and Redraw into an Ewer.

AST needs a bit of a rework. I've been saying this for awhile, but I think it should follow in the footsteps of its PvP counterpart.

For those who never PvP, basically it replaces Draw with Sleeve Draw, you can't Draw useless cards (as far as Feast is concerned), and there's no Royal Road, Spread or Redraw. It also restores 5% MP, and the cooldown starts on initial use, not card use. Feast is such that you'll be forced to cast B1, and B1 makes your next spell instant, allowing you time to weave. Lightspeed also does not impact your damage.

I think PvE should basically be like this. Have Draw return 5% MP and have its cooldown work like PvP. Throw away Ewer and Spire in PvE, as well as Redraw and Royal Road (I'd keep Spread). Replace Draw with Sleeve Draw at 70. Bonus points if they also change the 68 trait to be like the SCH trait. Something like, using a card reduces the cooldown on Draw.

This would solve a number of issues with bloat and forcing chain use of oGCDs. Elimination of RR and therefoce AoE cards would also make it easier to balance AST between 4-man and 8-man content. I think some people would initially see this and say it makes things too easy, but I think it'd have its own appeals and intersting combinations in various content. More importantly, I think you're nuts if you think fishing for AoE Balance is actually challenging gameplay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ruta posted:

True despair is having AoE RR, you do a Sleeve Draw, get double Spire, and Redraw into an Ewer.

AST needs a bit of a rework. I've been saying this for awhile, but I think it should follow in the footsteps of its PvP counterpart.

For those who never PvP, basically it replaces Draw with Sleeve Draw, you can't Draw useless cards (as far as Feast is concerned), and there's no Royal Road, Spread or Redraw. It also restores 5% MP, and the cooldown starts on initial use, not card use. Feast is such that you'll be forced to cast B1, and B1 makes your next spell instant, allowing you time to weave. Lightspeed also does not impact your damage.

I think PvE should basically be like this. Have Draw return 5% MP and have its cooldown work like PvP. Throw away Ewer and Spire in PvE, as well as Redraw and Royal Road (I'd keep Spread). Replace Draw with Sleeve Draw at 70. Bonus points if they also change the 68 trait to be like the SCH trait. Something like, using a card reduces the cooldown on Draw.

This would solve a number of issues with bloat and forcing chain use of oGCDs. Elimination of RR and therefoce AoE cards would also make it easier to balance AST between 4-man and 8-man content. I think some people would initially see this and say it makes things too easy, but I think it'd have its own appeals and intersting combinations in various content. More importantly, I think you're nuts if you think fishing for AoE Balance is actually challenging gameplay.

Getting rid of Ewer, Spire, and Royal Road in PvE, though, eliminates our aoe card ability. Unless you're saying cards would be AoE by default, which I honestly think they should.

I think that conceptually, there should never be a reason to not have a card active as an AST. Bole is also pretty useless unless you're trying to compensate for a bad tank - and again, RNG.

I also think that the support cards (Bole, Spire, and Ewer) would be more valuable if they were more potent, and if they weren't directly competing with the dps cards for anything but Royal Road fodder - for which the aoe is so much better in my experience than the single-target effect buff, especially in 8 man content.

I'd probably do something like eliminate Royal Road, but make all cards aoe by default, and split the deck into offensive and defensive cards - probably eliminate minor arcana and fold those cards into this as well. Maybe be able to draw and keep a card in hand from both decks at once, and invoke them together or keep their cooldowns for drawing and using them separate.

I think AST also needs to let cards from multiple ASTs in a group stack. You do sometimes get two ASTs in a roulette, and cards from multiple ASTs overwrite each other. This can get really annoying if the ASTs aren't paying attention and, say, one AST pops aoe balance only for the other to pop aoe arrow seconds later.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Dr Snofeld posted:

I still have healer anxiety but it's reduced thanks to the death of stance dancing. Good loving riddance, old Cleric Stance.

What is cleric stance anyway? I started playing during 3.x but didn't pick up a healer class until after stormblood launched

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Cleric stance is just a lovely dps cooldown now.

It used to be an on-off thing that switched between your heal or damage spells working.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It used to be a button that lol server lag you just wiped.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I miss stance dancing. It gave me something to do. And you know, actually forced me to look ahead and anticipate healing, which probably made me a better healer.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

melodicwaffle posted:

What is cleric stance anyway? I started playing during 3.x but didn't pick up a healer class until after stormblood launched

Pre-4.0 it was a stance that could be toggled on/off (5 second CD) that swapped your Int & Mind stats and had a 10%(?) reduction in healing. Basically, your healing in it was terrible, but it was a decent boost to DPS. Outside of it, your DPS was not great and healing was normal. Knowing when it was safe to be in or out of Cleric Stance was the big thing that dishonest healers needed to know.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Of note: activating Cleric Stance to do DPS made it trigger the 5 second cooldown, deactivating it didn't. So if you switched it on, you're not gonna be healing poo poo for the next 2 GCDs, but you could switch it off and on again basically without delay (to throw out a quick tetra in between throwing rocks).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm still crossing my fingers that 5.0 brings about Dancer-healer/Blue Mage-tank.

I would drop my AST in a hot loving second for a dancer healer.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Chemist healer when. I want to pump people full of drugs to heal them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Also, after leveling a Dark Knight recently, the Warrior of Light is now canonically a Dark Knight forever for me. No other classes feel so "aware" story-wise.

So in my head canon, the WoL went through up to 2.55 as whatever class and after getting to Ishgard, they realized how hosed things were, met Frey and so the story goes from there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Meanwhile, the astrologian quests in Stormblood don't appear to be about astrologians at all and seem more interested in hyping up geomancers.

Then again, the AST story has never given me a clear sense of an identity for the class, and the PC is only ever "That lady who is also there."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mordiceius posted:

Also, after leveling a Dark Knight recently, the Warrior of Light is now canonically a Dark Knight forever for me. No other classes feel so "aware" story-wise.

So in my head canon, the WoL went through up to 2.55 as whatever class and after getting to Ishgard, they realized how hosed things were, met Frey and so the story goes from there.

Someone said it best when they said that the Dark Knight storyline is the only storyline in which the WoL becomes more of a fully realized character in their own right, and it makes the rest of the story the richer for it.

Basically I hope whoever's writing the DRK quests never stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ChaseSP posted:

Chemist healer when. I want to pump people full of drugs to heal them.

*Chucks potion at tanks face* "Don't mind the glass shards"