Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

For it to have been a true Telltale story, the death of Bea's mother would have been a direct consequence of one of Mae's lovely decisions.

"Mae will not remember this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

FirstAidKite posted:

"Mae will not remember this"

"Did... did you forget you killed my mom?"

"Ahm sowwie Beebee!!!"

"Get out of my car, Mae."

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Got it last week while home sick and just finished it. It caught the feel of returning to your lovely hometown really well, and I liked the characters and writing. The game part of it was a bit of a slog though, and as much as I want to see some of the bits I missed I don't think I can push myself to do another playthrough right away.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Yeah it's best to let it sit for a while, then you can come back to it a year or two later and it'll be even more like coming back to your doomed home town, haha.

Speaking of, finished my second playthrough yesterday and the people who recommended hanging exclusively with Bea weren't kidding, ouch. It really did feel like the most emotional, impactful route to go. The first time I tried to split my time between Gregg and Bea and while it was still excellent, it didn't feel like it had the same kick and sense of character development to it.

I'll have to come back and exclusively do Crimes with Gregg in a couple years.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's worth a replay just to get all of the embarassing stories Mae tells the weird teens

Took until my second time through to register how much the dialogue and hangout decisions you make subtly change later conversations to make it all flow together. The broad strokes stay pretty much the same but every conversation has a few words or some throwaway lines that follow up on stuff from before. Some of the changes are pretty funny in themselves, like my first time around Gregg was all gung ho about scouting for owls whenever he got the chance but the second time around after I did the historical society it wasn't cause he thought owls were cool anymore.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's worth a replay just to get all of the embarassing stories Mae tells the weird teens

Took until my second time through to register how much the dialogue and hangout decisions you make subtly change later conversations to make it all flow together. The broad strokes stay pretty much the same but every conversation has a few words or some throwaway lines that follow up on stuff from before. Some of the changes are pretty funny in themselves, like my first time around Gregg was all gung ho about scouting for owls whenever he got the chance but the second time around after I did the historical society it wasn't cause he thought owls were cool anymore.

from the weird teens meetup (incredibly mild spoiler)

"We'll all have tacos soon"

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Big wins for my favourite game of last year!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I'm pretty happy about that. All the major game award poo poo gave best game 2017 to the most loving overrated bullshit out there (Breath of the Wild) and constantly ignored Night in the Woods' existence. So it's nice to see the game recognized in this way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's good to see NITW receive some well-deserved accolades. My feeling on these awards ceremonies is that they should serve to recognize and uplift hidden gems that might not be huge marquee hits rather than celebrate the multiplatinum sellers everybody already knows about. With 2017 being such a solid year for games I prefer it when the winners are more carefully spread around rather than just one title taking everything.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/978169280767385600

Brief-ish twitter thread about Scott Benson's (artist and writer on NiTW) experience in GDC, the awards, and how the game's impacted the fans. Dude seems like a really cool chill person and his cat is awesome.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I grew up in the country in western PA so this really struck some chords for me. Super glad it got made.

I realized recently that for an institution intended to prepare newly minted adults for the rest of their lives, college does a really good job of screwing people up.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Scott Benson's talk about NitW from GDC:
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024984/Nuke-Possum-Springs-A-Night

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I just beat this and I'm still in its spell. Sorry for the thread necromancy!

Question: can you do anything with the acorns in the Selmer's part of town? I noticed if you kick an acorn offscreen, it will reappear where it started, so I assumed there was a game or secret with it?

Also, do we ever figure out who lives next to the Mallard rat sanctuary in that little apartment?

Also, if you haven't played this game BUY IT it's loving amazing and I can't stop thinking about it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The acorns mean nothing as far as I know (same goes for the yarn ball you can play with next to the subway), as for the other question I think there's a red bird reading a newspaper there you can talk to through the window in the Weird Autumn version (though I could be thinking of a different building).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 6, 2018

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Larryb posted:

The acorns mean nothing as far as I know (same goes for the yarn ball you can play with next to the subway), as for the other question I think there's a red bird reading a newspaper there you can talk to through the window in the Weird Autumn version (though I could be thinking of a different building).

I'm talking about the apartment inside the window you can enter where you can hide in the closet and you examine their fridge a bunch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mary had a little clam posted:

I'm talking about the apartment inside the window you can enter where you can hide in the closet and you examine their fridge a bunch

Oh. In that case no, I don't believe so.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I assumed it was the pastor lady but then something happened that made that not make sense but I forget what it was

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Been very busy finally finished I see I'm way behind everyone else! This was one great game but the ending stuff:

Why does Mae have a direct mental link to all this (the black goat god)? Where did that come from? I see no explanation for it. I would have expected some subtle hints. It's possible I just missed that explanation in my play through?

The giant cat not god warned about big blind bugs and even provided a picture. I was expecting to deal with large dangerous bugs or at least one at that cave. Was there a limited budget did something have to be cut? Which forced them to ignore Chekhov's gun? I'm definitely not a writer but this did annoy me.

I've read those could be "metaphorical" bugs but that's not a good excuse. In a game of all mediums action is expected when a major topic is mentioned.

Why even include a stupid cult and this other junk? The problem should have been human and mundane. Let's say her dad has a heart attack or someone gets in a major car accident. Draws everyone together and serves the same purpose.

I really loved it though shame that very end had to go off the rails. Had the last act just been cut it would have been perfect.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DropsySufferer posted:

Been very busy finally finished I see I'm way behind everyone else! This was one great game but the ending stuff:

Why does Mae have a direct mental link to all this (the black goat god)? Where did that come from? I see no explanation for it. I would have expected some subtle hints. It's possible I just missed that explanation in my play through?

The giant cat not god warned about big blind bugs and even provided a picture. I was expecting to deal with large dangerous bugs or at least one at that cave. Was there a limited budget did something have to be cut? Which forced them to ignore Chekhov's gun? I'm definitely not a writer but this did annoy me.

I've read those could be "metaphorical" bugs but that's not a good excuse. In a game of all mediums action is expected when a major topic is mentioned.

Why even include a stupid cult and this other junk? The problem should have been human and mundane. Let's say her dad has a heart attack or someone gets in a major car accident. Draws everyone together and serves the same purpose.

I really loved it though shame that very end had to go off the rails. Had the last act just been cut it would have been perfect.

Kind of hard to answer all of these questions, but broadly there's a literal monster because it's a metaphor for the capitalist system, which itself is a literal nightmare. Also, the game was billed from the start as a sort-of supernatural mystery, and it delivered on that.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I got the impression that they were not literal giant bugs, but Lovecraftian-esque entities outside the limits of human (cat) understanding.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Also this game is written explicitly as a modern Gothic piece and sudden abrupt endings with no real resolution is sort of one of Gothic's things.

If anyone likes Regular Car Reviews he actually liked Night in the Woods so much he did a literary analysis of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvX0Ua15uk

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, but I kind of like the theory someone proposed earlier that the characters are not actually animals, that's just the way that Mae perceives the world because of her disassociation (it's either that or there's some weird Goofy/Pluto type thing going on in this world, Mae does mention wanting to own a cat in one of the optional dialogues).

The only direct references to them being animals I can see are the yarn ball in the little stand next to the underground tunnel and I think Mae mentions coughing up a hairball at one point (though apparently there were a lot more references/jokes about it in the original draft of the script).

All the same, even if it's not a sequel I would like to see another game similar to this by the same developers one day. Hell, this game's plot probably would make for a decent animated miniseries/movie if they wanted.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 3, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

Also this game is written explicitly as a modern Gothic piece and sudden abrupt endings with no real resolution is sort of one of Gothic's things.

If anyone likes Regular Car Reviews he actually liked Night in the Woods so much he did a literary analysis of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvX0Ua15uk

Watched through this and it was pretty good, but I don't really agree with the implication that each character needed some sort of closure beyond what was given.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm a bit late to this game, but I picked it up a week ago and god drat. This game is fantastic. I love the art, the music, the writing. It's not perfect, but I've thought about this game so much since I started playing. It just captures the setting so drat well.

My first playthrough I was kind of all over the place, but went through with a guide the second time. I missed out on Germ and Lori hangouts the first time around, as well as so many other little things. I love all the little details and scenes that are in this game. 2nd playthrough was all Bae. Gonna probably go through a 3rd time to hit Greggs stuff. He rules, ok.

I thought it was an interesting choice to have almost every scene involve Mae running from right to left, when most games are left to right. Like Mae is always running backwards, back to the past, not progressing forward. It's like a metaphor.

Also, I played the poo poo out of guitar hero and rock band, so I found the music sections easy. Pumpkin Head Man was no sweat. But I've been listening to Die Anywhere Else covers a lot.

Good game.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Master Twig posted:

But I've been listening to Die Anywhere Else covers a lot.

I still do.

And Weird Autumn.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Fans do create a lot of neat things for this game but this is pretty impressive animation for a fan-project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-gwpATLp4

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Crazy Ferret posted:

Fans do create a lot of neat things for this game but this is pretty impressive animation for a fan-project.

Wow, this rules.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That animation serves as a great reminder of how sick the NITW trailer music is

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Crazy Ferret posted:

Pro-freakin' click.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

Crazy Ferret posted:

Very nice video, thank you for sharing :)

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

kidcoelacanth posted:

That animation serves as a great reminder of how sick the NITW trailer music is

It features something a lot of the music in the game featured, that I think is a really amazing touch. That is, that the piano is a bit out of tune, giving it that slightly off sound. It's perfect for making melodies that otherwise would be quite soothing, have a sense of disturbance, that amazingly matches the tone of the game.

And that animation is amazing. I would love a short animated series done like that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was great (in both animation and voice acting) though it makes me sad there's not more of it. Night in the Woods would actually make a pretty good animated series/movie if handled properly come to think of it.

I'd also like another game (or something similar by the same developers) at some point. It wouldn't even have to necessarily involve all the same characters to be honest, just make a game in the same universe featuring a brand new cast.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think by nature of how the dialogue works in the game and how much it digs into how this generation is used to text-based conversations, a fully voiced NITW would lose something in the process.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh poo poo I didn't know we had a NITW thread.

Best game of last year. Made me feel a lot of things I had forgotten about. Gorgeous, delightfully whimsical. gently caress I love this game.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
There was supposed to be a backer reward for four (I think) official animated shorts (about 1 minute each) that would tell a prequel story to the one in the game. Those were to be released before the main game. First to the backers, then edited together publicly.

Only one came out before game's release; it was ok. I don't think it had voice acting, just music. It was mostly about Gregg and Angus, but iirc and in hindsight it sort of indicated that the events would be about Mae's "incident".

I think post-game release, they said that Benson was still working on them, but that was quite a while ago. The team is still providing semi-regular updates but they don't seem to mention those anymore.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AbstractNapper posted:

There was supposed to be a backer reward for four (I think) official animated shorts (about 1 minute each) that would tell a prequel story to the one in the game. Those were to be released before the main game. First to the backers, then edited together publicly.

Only one came out before game's release; it was ok. I don't think it had voice acting, just music. It was mostly about Gregg and Angus, but iirc and in hindsight it sort of indicated that the events would be about Mae's "incident".

I think post-game release, they said that Benson was still working on them, but that was quite a while ago. The team is still providing semi-regular updates but they don't seem to mention those anymore.

Is the one they did release still available anywhere? This is the first I've heard of these.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think by nature of how the dialogue works in the game and how much it digs into how this generation is used to text-based conversations, a fully voiced NITW would lose something in the process.

I don’t think a game like NITW simply couldn’t be done without voice acting, but the major story beats and dialogue are so tailored around the idea that you’ll be reading instead of listening that you’d have to make significant changes to the script.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Larryb posted:

Is the one they did release still available anywhere? This is the first I've heard of these.

It is still available but you have to be a backer to view it. It's called "Night in the Woods: Spring (Part 1)" and hosted on Vimeo but they used some kind of embed code that only allows you to view it if you are reading the Kickstarter Update.
Their exact instructions in said backers-only update (Sep 9 2014) are:

quote:

you need to be on the actual kickstarter update page to view this video

They went in such trouble to keep in unlisted/ private only to backers so I don't feel ok sharing it, if the shorts aren't officially canceled.

Actually Scott just issued a short backers-only update today (Oct 4), which basically promises a full official update later in the month with "couple of things to show us". So here's hoping it's about the shorts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah too bad but good to know they haven't abandoned the project. Speaking of which, have the devs behind NitW done anything significant since the game launched? Like I've said before, I'd really like to see another project from them one day even if it's not a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I mean they made an extremely significant content update to NitW last December and they ported the game to switch this spring. That seems pretty significant

Unless you think they made a game in 6 months then maybe hold your horses on expecting something from them for a few years.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 4, 2018