Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Fister Roboto posted:

There's only one button for every manufactory in the macro builder, because manufactories all do the exact same thing. One of the best changes in the patch.

ah makes sense. thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So if I reform the religion off of some schmuck as a Native, can I send my institutions to the other prims? (Or could, rather, didn't get the content pack, which I suppose is a shame as it woulda been pretty cool)

I have to deal with Spain that's absorbed Aragon, Allied Austria and Portugal, with the latter being unusually swole, what with holding a swathe of N-Africa

Their Rivals are the Mamluks and English and I'm not terribly certain I can do gently caress all about them yet. Is the trick just building boats and waiting for colonial nations to form before stopping them at sea or what?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Man you have way more faith in people than I do because I just assumed that the largest part of the playerbase is English-speaking and white and they want to play the most powerful country that lets them fufil some kind of ethnonationalist power fantasy.

I have literally never played a single game starting in Europe west of the HRE (other than Burgundy) so I guess my brain is broken in the other direction.

Wait, you've never terrorized the world as France? You've never save scummed the Burgundian inheritance?
You don't know what you're missing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Moon Slayer posted:

Is this actually possible? I started a new game three or four times and every time Aragon starts with Portugal rivaled.

It's possible but definitely requires a bit of rerolling for favourable starts. Your ideal one would be a start where Aragon and France have Castile rivaled while France also has Aragon rivaled - though you're more likely to run into France only having Aragon rivaled which is fine, the important thing is just getting France allied asap after breaking with Castile for the trust which you'll need so they don't declare war once you have borders later (assuming you take the safe strat). Break with England and ally with Castile before declaring war on Granada and taking both their strait crossing and the closest province to Aragon once the treaty expires. Usually Granada is allied with Morocco by this point which also lets you complete the conquer Cueta(I think that is its name) while stiffing Castile on any conquest gains and breaking the alliance. Turn around and ally Aragon, wait until the break ally truce ends then take a huge chunk out of Castile while giving Aragon as little as possible - race for the best provinces and especially the ones that let you form Spain. It'll take a few wars but once you're done eating the most important bits of Castile and have good borders with Aragon you then stiff Aragon in the last war and break before allying with France. Declare asap and use France to crush Aragon. Two to three wars will let you eat the important bits of Aragon to form Spain. While waiting for Admin 10 you can then either just recover your armies or start poking about at your southern muslim neighbors to finish off trade nodes. After you form Spain finish eating Castile/Aragon then turn your attentions on France. If you want to play safe, then just stop here and enjoy conquering/colonizing everything in asia/new world/whatever. Otherwise it's time to say farewell to France and start looking for allies with your ideal choices being Austria and maybe Burgundy if they're doing well. Play the normal waiting game for France to get caught in a war - usually with England - before taking your allies and marching on France, prioritizing trade node lands and creating a land bridge snaking across through the Genoa trade node. Spend a few more wars conquering the rest of the node then sit back and watch the vast majority of the wealth in the world flow directly to you.

It's an incredibly fun game/strat and very satisfying to eventually pull off. Eventually once your overseas empire is large enough you can just pick on France/England to regularly take their colonies and completely lock them out of ever having colonial nations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
England is my go to nation when I want to chill out and build a power house economy without any realistic dangers.

I.e when I’m lazy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If you want a fun game at becoming a rediculous superpower within 50 years, the Timurids (and all the Timurid successor states) got a really strong mission set, in addition to getting permaclaims on everything from the Zagros Mountains to Delhi, one of the mission rewards is 20% RCC for 25 years which lets you get to minimum coring cost for a while (on some provinces).

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fister Roboto posted:

There's only one button for every manufactory in the macro builder, because manufactories all do the exact same thing. One of the best changes in the patch.

It was freaking annoying to press every single button to see what was most profitable so I had enough and fixed it. They are still different buildings because of archaic reasons but at least the interface is smart about it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mann trip report:

Pretty fun run so far, once you get the British Isles under your control it's like a world tour of beating up minors for their islands and also a lot of colonising, with Spain, France, the Ottomans, and Ming for end bosses.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 22, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I Feel Like a New Mann: Have a colonial nation that owns more provinces than you do.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

It was freaking annoying to press every single button to see what was most profitable so I had enough and fixed it. They are still different buildings because of archaic reasons but at least the interface is smart about it.
It's a great change and keeping the buildings separate is good. :)

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I kind of dislike the new missions system. The old system with its randomness wasn't perfect for sure but it also felt a lot less railroady.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 22, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ming Very East East Siberia

Disclaimer: May not belong to Ming. May also not be Siberia.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Lovin that swole Silesia.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I think they started out as Krakow, got swole, and formed Silesia :aaaaa:

Eastern Europe was pretty weird this game, even Wallachia took a couple of provinces before the Ottos ate them

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

This isn't something you see very often:

I guess it could be caused by an AI bug. Denmark wasn't particularly weak in this game. They had conquered Haburg, Danzig, Riga, and half the Livonian order, and Sweden was loyal.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

If you want a fun game at becoming a rediculous superpower within 50 years, the Timurids (and all the Timurid successor states) got a really strong mission set, in addition to getting permaclaims on everything from the Zagros Mountains to Delhi, one of the mission rewards is 20% RCC for 25 years which lets you get to minimum coring cost for a while (on some provinces).

The AI Timmy went fully insane in my current run. Ate Ajam and most of the rest of Persia off the bat, managed to integrate every vassal and is currently eating northern India.... I think he's going to form Mughals if he takes the right provinces from his current war which I haven't seen happen in forever.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

My first run after the patch. Been so focused on western Europe I didn't notice the Ottomans until they were gone. Checking the timeline it seems they lost a war against Byz, Albania and Karaman in 1451. Byz and Kar then conquered their side of the strait in subsequent wars, with the knights sniping a few provinces. Kar held most of Anatolia until they were broken by Venice, ceding the entire southern coastline and forced to release an Ibadi Bretna. The knights also conquered some in a separate war, but then Byz crossed the straits and started beating up everyone. :hist101:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Firebatgyro posted:

The AI Timmy went fully insane in my current run. Ate Ajam and most of the rest of Persia off the bat, managed to integrate every vassal and is currently eating northern India.... I think he's going to form Mughals if he takes the right provinces from his current war which I haven't seen happen in forever.

The Timurids were pretty buff ever since their NIs got a minor bump, assuming that all the missions push the AI to be more aggressive I fully expect Ultra Timurids to more consistently be a thing.

It's loving shocking that Arbadil and QQ didn't get any missions though.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Man i would love it if disbanded military units would return their numbers to the manpower pool.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Man i would love it if disbanded military units would return their numbers to the manpower pool.

It does that when you get high enough army professionalism.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RabidWeasel posted:

The Timurids were pretty buff ever since their NIs got a minor bump, assuming that all the missions push the AI to be more aggressive I fully expect Ultra Timurids to more consistently be a thing.

It's loving shocking that Arbadil and QQ didn't get any missions though.

Yeah, the AIs seem to be ultra aggressive now. England goes to war every 10 years like clockwork, conquered all of Scotland in 1480, goes to war with France whenever possible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

It does that when you get high enough army professionalism.
Yes but it should be a basic thing that happens all the time, even if at a reduced ratio.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yes but it should be a basic thing that happens all the time, even if at a reduced ratio.

It should always happen at peace. At war, they can keep the professionalism rule, because then it makes sense from a balance/flavor standpoint.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How do you Scotland if you're not that good at warfare?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Poil posted:

How do you Scotland if you're not that good at warfare?

What worked for me last patch was to NOT ally France, but instead rely on their guarantee to keep the English off my back while I conquered Ireland. Once that was done I waited for England to send all their troops to the new world to fight some indian tribe and then declared war.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Drakhoran posted:

What worked for me last patch was to NOT ally France, but instead rely on their guarantee to keep the English off my back while I conquered Ireland. Once that was done I waited for England to send all their troops to the new world to fight some indian tribe and then declared war.
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 22, 2018

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Playing a game as Muscovy. I did the usual war with Novgorod right away, but now they've allied Poland (who has Lithuania in a union). What're my options here? Right now I'm just eating up my vassals and attacking the hordes to the South, but I'm gonna need to go after Novgorod eventually. Wait until Poland picks a fight with the HRE? Denmark has me as a rival, so the Kalmar Union won't ally me.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Pylons posted:

Playing a game as Muscovy. I did the usual war with Novgorod right away, but now they've allied Poland (who has Lithuania in a union). What're my options here? Right now I'm just eating up my vassals and attacking the hordes to the South, but I'm gonna need to go after Novgorod eventually. Wait until Poland picks a fight with the HRE? Denmark has me as a rival, so the Kalmar Union won't ally me.

Do they have any minor allies or trade league members you could declare on?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Drakhoran posted:

Do they have any minor allies or trade league members you could declare on?

That's an idea.. I think they do have Odoyev in a trade league. No other allies though.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Pylons posted:

That's an idea.. I think they do have Odoyev in a trade league. No other allies though.

Declare on Odoyev, force them to break truce and nothing else, then wait 5 years.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

deathbagel posted:

Declare on Odoyev, force them to break truce and nothing else, then wait 5 years.

The truce I have with them is already up, but I could use the war with Odoyev/Novgorod to take some of their provinces or break their alliance with Poland, couldn't I?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pylons posted:

The truce I have with them is already up, but I could use the war with Odoyev/Novgorod to take some of their provinces or break their alliance with Poland, couldn't I?

The latter is probably what he meant. You can see if you can take provinces instead, but 1) if you take provinces the truce will be longer and if it’s long enough Novgorod will just re-ally Poland before it’s done and 2) the penalties for taking land from allies of the war target might make it undesirable. If you just force Nov to break alliance and nothing else you’ll have a nice short truce and can pounce on them hopefully before they can find another strong ally.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

How 2 kazan pls

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Pylons posted:

Yea, I meant break the alliance. If you take provinces then your peace will likely last long enough for them to just re-ally them.

Fuligin posted:

How 2 kazan pls

Wait for someone big to declare on Muscovy and then jump on them immediately, you need to strangle them in the crib. You can take them if you build up a stack of 20 or so, but you have to draw their armies into the grasslands/steppes and take out their vassals separately.

Once you break Muscovy it's easy, you just take out the other tribes and always be at war with someone. Drag wars out to make sure you are never at peace because peace kills your horde unity. Raze everything you take unless it's an amazing province. Take the gold mine from Uzbek early to help fund your war machine.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 23, 2018

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's a bug with the English 'Strategic Control' mission in the new DLC.

Even though I have France under a PU, I am unable to complete the mission, despite meeting the mission requirements of either directly controlling the capital of France (Paris), or having a subject that controls it.

I know that it's bugged because in my first England game where I had France under a PU, I was able to complete the mission. I've also searched Reddit and found a number of other users who are having the exact same issue.

This bug is particularly frustrating as this mission chain is particularly important/useful for an England game; completing it gives you claims on all of Brittany and leads to other very useful missions.

I have tried restarting the game, making France loyal then disloyal (via the placate rulers choice in subject interactions), along with a host of other experiments, but nothing I do seems to change it, which means I either have to restart again and hope it doesn't happen, or just not play England until it's fixed, which is most likely what I'm going to end up doing.

I try to be understanding when bugs arise in games, since as a former network engineer I understand that even the best designed system will sometimes break when exposed to users and all the different variables you can potentially throw at them, but this one is hard to understand, or forgive. The new mission system and revamped English missions, along with the general English focus, was the primary selling point of the DLC, and yet one of the earliest missions you could conceivably complete is bugged. If it was a late game mission or some obscure set of conditions that lead to it, I would understand, but you can get France under a PU within the first 10 years of the game, less if you get lucky. Did nobody play the first 10 years of the game? If not, why not?

I've bought every single piece of EU4 DLC on launch, this one included, despite my misgivings over paying for something that in days past, Paradox (and other developers) would have offered for free. The fact that such a basic feature has been overlooked by QA, along with the fact that it breaks the main selling point of the DLC, will definitely make me reconsider purchasing any future immersion packs that Paradox chooses to release, either the day they are released, or at all.

Yolomancer fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 23, 2018

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Apparently this is a thing that can happen?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Innovativeness seems really pointless. It's very hard to accrue much of it, and it doesn't really do much for how difficult it is to acquire.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I find it's really easy to acquire?

I'm sitting at like 75 in 1610 or so. I've not lost any in a long time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How? The only way to get more than the default trickle is through random events or buying techs way ahead of time, which is usually a huge waste. I guess maybe be the first country to buy ADM 5 and get an idea group unlocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah it barely goes up. I guess you can say yes to all those "get 1 innovativeness and +8 unrest everywhere" events.