Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
You all have Talons and Jump Jets. DFA all day, every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Scintilla posted:

I never thought I'd see talons after I posted a certain design which PTN asked me never to mention again.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

MJ12 posted:

Basically, your pilots are completely immune to pilot damage from anything and everything short of cockpit critical hits, and get a -1/-1 from the Interface Cockpit to boot, which means that they're effectively 1/2 pilots. You have no gyros because you don't need them and your interface cockpit acts as a gyro. In canon, interface cockpits used PA(L) but here they're using medium suits. Notice that each pilot has 10 suit armor and 2 health-this is because of the Dermal Armor Implants they possess.

Against the Society, this means that you absolutely do have the advantage at range, and you should probably always keep moving and amping up your defensive move modifiers, even if it means you get worse shots.

You're shooting from base 1/2, they're shooting from base 4/5 or 5/6. Making sure everyone's shots are as bad as possible favors you in the long run.

Caveat: there is the matter of CEWS, which I imagine will get broken out again this mission - PTN especially isn't going to give out these kind of toys without having some nasty stuff planned. So the range advantage is potentially not that pronounced. That is mitigated somewhat though by the multilevel nature of the map, plus the corridors/corners and inside/outside stuff, which all means there are a lot of ways to limit LOS from any heavy hitters while spotters are isolated and killed.

I definitely agree that with this force there's almost never a good reason to not J:5 (+3) every turn that it's possible.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Fraction Jackson posted:

Caveat: there is the matter of CEWS, which I imagine will get broken out again this mission - PTN especially isn't going to give out these kind of toys without having some nasty stuff planned. So the range advantage is potentially not that pronounced. That is mitigated somewhat though by the multilevel nature of the map, plus the corridors/corners and inside/outside stuff, which all means there are a lot of ways to limit LOS from any heavy hitters while spotters are isolated and killed.

I definitely agree that with this force there's almost never a good reason to not J:5 (+3) every turn that it's possible.

Nova CEWS is the big danger, yeah. So you want to isolate enemy spotters and murder them while keeping out of range of their heavy hitters, and engage those at long distances because accepting bad shots is okay. For example, if both of you are eating a +3 mod at medium range, you're hitting on 7s, well over half the time. They're hitting on 11s, less than one out of ten shots.

Also, if you get trashed and you have to bail, you can still support your comrades by going and legging enemies, and probably should preferentially use leg attacks. Swarming is risky because you're still doing only 4 points of damage per dude, but leg attacks force crits to the legs, which is super hilarious against bad pilots.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, I'm ready to go if an Alternate is required, though with me so far down the list, I'm probably waiting until next mission. Just as well, the tech in this one looks like it'll go way over my head. Still, whoever gets to play this one should have a ton of fun.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GhostStalker posted:

Just as well, the tech in this one looks like it'll go way over my head.

I have to admit I'm a little worried about this.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:randstare: wtf fuckin faction spawned those beasts? its like they do clan attitude but like way more dedicated and less retarded.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Pooncha posted:

:suspense:

I’m kind of terrified to see what PTN has in store that can be a challenge for this team.

Meee too. I'm just kind of waiting sort of expecting hoping for a metal gear to bust through the wall like coolaid man.

Tripods? Lams? Superheavies? All the inner sphere veteran pilots the clanners captured, 'rehabilitated' under the medical corps and inducted into their little rebellion as sympathizers in hopes of gaining freedom? whatever this session has in store, I'm sure it will be a good reveal. Lets get the show started!

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I have to admit I'm a little worried about this.

Okay let me explain the implant technology.

VDNI/Buffered VDNI are basically a cybernetic neural implant that lets you pilot a battlemech or drive a tank with your mind. They also improve your ability to use battle armor effectively. It gives a pilot -1/-1 gunnery/piloting in a mech, and a battle armor trooper -1 gunner/-1 anti-mech. This is why every Manei Domini (in this case, Legion) pilot is a 2/3-they start off with Clan base skills due to intense training and selection, then get implanted with this augmentation. The weakness is that if you have VDNI, any critical hit or internal damage forces a roll that might cause pilot injury and turn your pilot into a vegetable. Fortunately, that's where the second implant comes in.

Pain Shunts are a modification to the brain that renders a person immune to pain, especially the debilitating, horrifying pain of neural feedback. A pilot with pain shunts ignores all pilot damage from ammo explosions, heat effects, and neural interface feedback. Furthermore, an infantryman with pain shunts, whether battle armor or conventional, takes half damage from flame because they don't give a gently caress unless they actually are burned to death. Finally, a pilot with pain shunts never has to make consciousness checks-they automatically pass every consciousness check.

Dermal Myomer Armoring is implanting a full set of reinforced myomer muscles in a person to make them stronger and tougher. It makes your pilots immune to pilot damage from falls or head hits. It also means you can take another point of damage while in Battle Armor-this is why your guys are armor/health 10/2 rather than 10/1. In the roleplaying game they give you a ludicrous pile of stat bonuses, which are exacerbated by...

Triple Strength Myomer Implants. These implants make you super swole and add 1 point of damage to all attacks made to units in the same hex while in battle armor.

Basically, you shoot better, take hits better, and will stay 100% functional until your mech is shot out from under you, and possibly still be combat-capable even then.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Almost disappointed that the Legion isn't the opforce. Almost.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ohgod! I want to play this mission but I’m currently in the land of real robots aka japan. If first order date is Sunday I think i can make it!

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Scintilla posted:

It also looks like they may be fighting in a cave so this may not be an option all that much.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tran posted:

PTN has repeatedly stated that the Hawks will not die off camera.

yeah, they're gonna die on camera :smith:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Well, who knows...

The Clans have been using nukes dishonorably, and they have had some defectors from the second line troops (if those are still alive, I doubt they'd be taken back?) and most importantly have bled their frontline troops white.

Wild hypothesizing, but I suppose there's a chance that, if the Demon Hawks are stuck on Andurien a second line revolt occurs, attempting to take over leadership of the ground forces... enter the Demon Hawks and their band of insurgents composed of the most disgruntled clanners and surviving legionnaires in need of mechs, clashing with the local insurgents in a raid on a supply cache of mechs. Things get convoluted after initial combat, but after capturing a convoy or base the Demon Hawks capture and end up temporarily allied with Society cells among the Snow Ravens and/or Sea Foxes to perhaps exploit the the warrior revolt to capture some lab facilities to gene plague the poo poo out of the Warrior caste, then find some deep underground bunker to hide for the inevitable second nuclear clusterfuck.

It's a long shot, but there may be some hope as long as there's some Society presence amongst the Snow Ravens/Sea Foxes invasion, and sufficiently disgruntled reservist warriors, there's some hope to destroy or severely attrit the invading forces, even though the RWA can't be quickly resurrected.

Grognan posted:

:randstare: wtf fuckin faction spawned those beasts? its like they do clan attitude but like way more dedicated and less retarded.

They're the pride of the RWA! (what little remains of it)

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 22, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

yeah, they're gonna die on camera :smith:

We're gonna get a "where are they now?" post and then jump forward several decades after this mission or possibly the next. It's entirely possible that some will be dead of old age when we come back from the jump.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Hmmm, Aeaea Final has the Osteon Prime destroyed? Did that win the vote or?

We can assume the other two escapees will also be showing up (though probably not the murder-mech that was shoved down a ravine). Expect superior enemy numbers of bullshit mechs that aren't quite as bad as the MD ones.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Grognan posted:

They're basically Wobbie Manei Domini cybersoldiers but with Republic-era tech, the bleeding edge of the NRWA.

They're going up against Clan Society troops, who are to the Clans what the Manei Domini were to the Inner Sphere.

This is the ultratech smackdown dream match that could have never happened in canon.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wobbie vs Society, hell yeah.
This is going to be a lunatic knock down drag out brawl.
I wonder which side will have the better technical superiority?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Oh wow. I’m up again, in a 5/8/5 heavy cav mech with an obscenely good Manei Domini pilot with all the fun toys, up against the Society, with a built in terrifying battle armour if the mech is toast.

PTN, thank you. :D

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MJ12 posted:

Basically, you shoot better, take hits better, and will stay 100% functional until your mech is shot out from under you, and possibly still be combat-capable even then.

When their mechs are shot out from under them, they'll just detach their armor and keep going to town on people. There is no reason for the players to be anything but suicidally aggressive this mission.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:unsmith: I'm glad we were able to call the Legion down. Have fun fellas.

Also thank you for the MVP votes everyone, I was not expecting that on my first go-round! I also personally thought I could have done a lot better but thinking back, I guess I did do a lot of work.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Eh, you did good, Manny. You tanked a bit, shot a bit, didn't die, and you did it all without having multiple 'Mechs.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Since we were talking about the Nova CEWS counter-balancing some of the range advantage, how does TSEMP work with that? Is there a chance (other than the shutdown chance of the mech) that EMP could knock their CEWS link offline for a turno n a hit?

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
I just turned on PM's since I am active this mission. I'm volunteering for point right now.

Leith Maclaine fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 22, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Defiance Industries posted:

Just run side to side while you shoot. Mull around in a circle. Get real weird.

Honestly do this in real life too.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
This reminds me of Living Legends where if you eject from your mech you're fighting as a surprisingly powerful battle armor

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Gwaihir posted:

RWA MVPs for me: Defiance Industries for eliminating the most tonnage with the least, and AAAAA! Real Muenster for consistently mixing it up, putting effective shots out, and being lucky enough to remain standing (REAL PILOTS MAKE THEIR OWN LUCK OK).
Coyote MVP: The Rabid Coyote did really well dishing consistent damage and lots of crits with it's ATM-12s, and took down one of the cephalus scouts early. Runner up to the Golems who got a shitload of damage from their SRMs on all kinds of society targets.
Society: The Osteon put on a great show of just how bullshit the iATM is between actually putting down several players machines and forcing others in to perma-shutdowns. Honorable mention to the Septicemia C-Z which I think was the second most effective Society Mech.

I agree with these MVPs
e: whoops probably too late, looking forward to watching some spleunking.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 22, 2018

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Zaodai posted:

I'm saying if you stick your head in the sand long enough, someone is going to come drop a blade on your neck. If the Clans are going to gently caress with the FWL, they're going to do it whether you provoke them or not. You may have noticed their giant fuckoff unprovoked attack on half the Inner Sphere. If Marik sees them as a threat, now is his best chance to take care of the problem, and potentially make some technical and industrial gains along the way.

I mean, the Clans already came bursting into the FWL once and laid their dick on the table already.

Amaris can offer more to the Free World League than the Clans, he can provide technology and training for building the NRWR mini-BB/CVLs, if he's willing to trade it.
Duncan Marik's safest route would be to placate the Clans with minimal logistical support if threatened for a small amount of Clantech, while actually substantially aiding the NRWR behind the scenes for major concessions.

Outright siding with the NRWR seems too risky imho. There's still hope the problem will go away, and the FWL does not need a bunch of warships running roughshod through its space lanes.
But not helping the NRWR at all, even though Amaris is a snake? The people of the FWL would be condemned to perhaps centuries of misery if the Clans win. And the Clans are more of a short to medium term military threat, whereas the technological edge of the NRWR is the long term threat.
The Mariks will need to act against both, and in ways that also bolster them against the Capellans and Comstar.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 22, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ooooh, so I'm up for my second go-round! This should be interesting. I've got zero familiarity with battletech technology of this era, but it looks like what it all sums up to is "don't worry about it just go ham" and I'm down with that.

e. Could someone do a rundown of the weapons differences for the two varients? We've got mechs with rHeavy PPCs, AP Gauss Rifles, and someone already explained the TSEMP cannon, vs mechs with Large R-e lasers and Light PPCs, which for some reason are substantially lower adjusted battle value. I've never used any of these weapons in a battletech game.

e2. as an aside, PTN it'd be swell if the quick reference cards would mention how much damage the weapons do. I know that'd take space, but the "Ammunition" column doesn't need to be so wide... that's asking a lot, to reformat stuff, so it's just an idle request if you happen to be re-designing them at some point.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 22, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Ooooh, so I'm up for my second go-round! This should be interesting. I've got zero familiarity with battletech technology of this era, but it looks like what it all sums up to is "don't worry about it just go ham" and I'm down with that.

e. Could someone do a rundown of the weapons differences for the two varients? We've got mechs with rHeavy PPCs, AP Gauss Rifles, and someone already explained the TSEMP cannon, vs mechs with Large R-e lasers and Light PPCs, which for some reason are substantially lower adjusted battle value. I've never used any of these weapons in a battletech game.

e2. as an aside, PTN it'd be swell if the quick reference cards would mention how much damage the weapons do. I know that'd take space, but the "Ammunition" column doesn't need to be so wide... that's asking a lot, to reformat stuff, so it's just an idle request if you happen to be re-designing them at some point.

rHPPC is a 15 damage head chopper that does an extra 5 point hit to a different location (cannot roll same location).
Large R-e lasers do 9 damage for 10 heat, have -1 to hit (they're a kind of pulse laser) and ignore fancy armor types.
Light PPCs are literally half a PPC, 5 damage for 5 heat at 18 range for 3 weight 2 spaces.
AP Gauss is a half ton needler that sprays 50 pounds of them in 10 seconds. 3 damage, 1 heat, warcrimes for days.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 22, 2018

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zaodai posted:

I'm saying if you stick your head in the sand long enough, someone is going to come drop a blade on your neck. If the Clans are going to gently caress with the FWL, they're going to do it whether you provoke them or not. You may have noticed their giant fuckoff unprovoked attack on half the Inner Sphere. If Marik sees them as a threat, now is his best chance to take care of the problem, and potentially make some technical and industrial gains along the way.

I mean, the Clans already came bursting into the FWL once and laid their dick on the table already.

Except there is ZERO indication for that. The Sea Foxes and Snow Ravens are here for Amaris and the NRWR, nothing else. FFS, the entire goddamn point of the whole Clanner-style trial for the right to cross the league was that the alternative was them forcing themselves a way through to get to the fight on Andurien, which was something neither the FWL nor the Clanners wanted to happen. That's exactly why the Clanners jumped right for it when Duncan proposed to solve the issue through that trial instead. Neither the Clans nor Marik are in the slightest bit interested in actually going to war with each other, and both have substantial reason not to provoke each other in any way.

If Marik sees them as a threat? Then attacking them now, when he's in the middle of an ongoing war with the Cappies and with there being a gigantic fuckoff Clan warship fleet that he has no real answer for right in the heart of the League, would be literally the most idiotic and suicidal thing he could do. The FWL would be entirely unprepared, hopelessly outgunned, and it would start the war with the enemy already in place to immediately steamroll right through the League's most critical territories while the vast majority of FWL troops would be completely out of position and weeks to months away even if they immediately abandoned the capellan front entirely. There is NOTHING to gain from that that is even remotely worth the outright existential danger this idiot move would put the FWL into.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

dis astranagant posted:

Large R-e lasers do 9 damage for 10 heat, have -1 to hit (they're a kind of pulse laser) and ignore fancy armor types.

Close, R-e lasers ignore all special armors and structures, so they ignore Ferro-Lamellor's damage reduction and effectively deal 18 damage to the Osteon's reinforced structure.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If the Capellans are a handful for the FWL now (for whatever reason?), when they're dealing with cleaning up ComStar within their borders and the HPG blackout, then things are probably not going to get a whole lot better unless he makes some powerful friends on one side or the other of the NRWR/Clan conflict before they get done addressing that.

He can pick a side, but trying to play them is just going to piss off both sides, and sitting out doesn't get him anything but at best the status quo. They'd certainly have no reason to not gut punch the FWL while the Lague is fighting another conflict. Either side could help him with tech, the NRWR could help him with direly needed industry. Either one could be convinced that the CapCon is a threat and/or juicy target and open up another front in that war before the CapCon starts making GBS threads out AI controlled Society mechs at them.

Being the weakest kid at the table may actually be more suicide than finding a friend to help you.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 22, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
PTN, do these mechs themselves have TSM, or is it just the pilots?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

PTN, do these mechs themselves have TSM, or is it just the pilots?
e: both

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Since the talons are on leg locations, I take it that they make kicks better... which, TSM kicks from 75 ton mechs are already pretty goddamn good, so gosh.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Leperflesh posted:

Since the talons are on leg locations, I take it that they make kicks better... which, TSM kicks from 75 ton mechs are already pretty goddamn good, so gosh.

Talons multiply kick and DFA damage by 1.5 (rounding up), so...

:staredog: That's 23 damage kicks without TSM or *46* with it activated. On an effectively piloting 2 pilot.

e: Rofl, tacops notes do specify that, just in case anyone was wondering, when combining Talons and TSM, if you perform a DFA attack, the damage is not double by Active TSM.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 22, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

Talons multiply kick and DFA damage by 1.5 (rounding up), so...

:staredog: That's 23 damage kicks without TSM or *46* with it activated. On an effectively piloting 2 pilot.

e: Rofl, tacops notes do specify that, just in case anyone was wondering, when combining Talons and TSM, if you perform a DFA attack, the damage is not double by Active TSM.
So those guns are there to generate heat, not to actually kill things. Got it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The NRWR learned all the right lessons from Duncan Kalma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So those guns are there to generate heat, not to actually kill things. Got it.

I dunno, Heavy PPCs tend to be for both. And the EMP Cannons are for making them easier to kick. :getin:

• Locked thread