Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

7th edition 40k sucked. It was awful. Formations completely ruined the game and list building was a horrible mess. You'd have armies made up of multiple formations with a ton of unique rules with no way to tell which tactical squad was part of which formation, etc.

30k managed to avoid all of that. Mostly because it was still stuck in 5th edition to a degree. :v: Armies are all locked to the same FOC and while there are ways to alter it, they tend to be fairly limited. Marines have Rites of War which are kind of pseudo-formations, but, again, are locked to the FOC and are basically ways to get additional army-wide rules or additional options in exchange for more limitations, some which can be quite heavy. Leadership is a huge deal in 30k and melee can be very important; sweeping is an excellent way to wipe out squads. Fearless and Stubborn are very rare with chaplains being the only widespread source. And They Shall Know No Fear does not exist here.

However, 30k is stuck with a legacy system for the foreseeable future and that can be a little frustrating. I'm fine with the game as-is, but there are definitely some changes I'd like to see (AP modifiers and cover, mostly). It is also suffering from a bunch of balance issues since Inferno released which have yet to be addressed after over a year. Prior to that, it was the best iteration of the 40k ruleset. Now? I'm hesitant to recommend it to people because it's been adrift for a while and we won't be sure of anything until the next black book releases, supposedly by the end of the year. The recent Weekender was pretty promising, release-wise, but it's going to take a new book to get things truly back on track. And an Inferno FAQ.

Safety Factor posted:

7th edition 40k sucked. It was awful. Formations completely ruined the game and list building was a horrible mess. You'd have armies made up of multiple formations with a ton of unique rules with no way to tell which tactical squad was part of which formation, etc.

30k managed to avoid all of that. Mostly because it was still stuck in 5th edition to a degree. :v: Armies are all locked to the same FOC and while there are ways to alter it, they tend to be fairly limited. Marines have Rites of War which are kind of pseudo-formations, but, again, are locked to the FOC and are basically ways to get additional army-wide rules or additional options in exchange for more limitations, some which can be quite heavy. Leadership is a huge deal in 30k and melee can be very important; sweeping is an excellent way to wipe out squads. Fearless and Stubborn are very rare with chaplains being the only widespread source. And They Shall Know No Fear does not exist here.

However, 30k is stuck with a legacy system for the foreseeable future and that can be a little frustrating. I'm fine with the game as-is, but there are definitely some changes I'd like to see (AP modifiers and cover, mostly). It is also suffering from a bunch of balance issues since Inferno released which have yet to be addressed after over a year. Prior to that, it was the best iteration of the 40k ruleset. Now? I'm hesitant to recommend it to people because it's been adrift for a while and we won't be sure of anything until the next black book releases, supposedly by the end of the year. The recent Weekender was pretty promising, release-wise, but it's going to take a new book to get things truly back on track. And an Inferno FAQ.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Broken Record Talk posted:

God, Inferno was a hot mess, with bonus tourists!

Does anyone happen to have links to stuff detailing how much of a mess Inferno was? I never bothered looking up the entire thing but the tourist picture was always hilarious.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Universal rules are dumb as gently caress, it’s better to have the same rule with 18 names.

Bad: “what do these guys do?” “they deep strike”

Good: “what do these guys do?” “Scarnhorst corridor” “what’s that?” “Oh it’s deep strike”

Much more streamlined.

This angers me, uncontrollably I rage every time I have to explain that they should own the codex of the army they’re fighting to understand the nuances of my renamed rule versus theirs.

How dare they.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Toxic 30k Grog: "My guys are going to deepstrike here"
Opponent shakes with rage: "There are too many universal special rules in this game! How can I be expected to know them all!?!?!"

40k Master Race-member: "My unit of Prime Primaris Primar-ites are going to laser storm jump strike here. This is slightly different than when my Primaris Primar-ites storm laser-port."
Opponent calmly, even happily, accepts this, as he knows he is playing the superior game

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

40k Master Race-member: "My unit of Prime Primaris Primar-ites are going to laser storm jump strike here. This is slightly different than exactly the same as when my Primaris Primar-ites storm laser-port."
Opponent calmly, even happily, accepts this, as he knows he is playing the superior game

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

No, you see, in this version, I can use a stratagem to strike you with a laser storm, when jumping, rather than the other version, where I cannot.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The editing was about what you normally get from FW, but the major issue was balance. If you think custodes are strong in 40k, we had them in 30k first, and they are even more broken. There was definite power creep and a number of head scratchers. Despite FWs best efforts, 30k is still somehow not a hot mess

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Outside fluffy descriptors most deep strikes in 8e are pretty similar. The biggest changes tend to be:

- how far away the deep strikers must be from enemy models
- what phase this can happen in
- whether or not you need to use a stratagem to do so

I cant off the top of my head think of any deep strikes that also come with other enemy-affecting effects, mostly just how the deep strikes trigger/play out (EX:Elysians need to roll for whether or not they kiss the pavement, Necron monoliths can use a stratagem to teleport warriors when it is destroyed)

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
It took ten thousand years but they finally came up with rules for Misericordia

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I really do like how, in the noble bright future of the year 41,000, twin liked weapons function the same as two weapons. This and the AP modifier rules are great additions I hope we eventually get.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

I really do like how, in the noble bright future of the year 41,000, twin liked weapons function the same as two weapons. This and the AP modifier rules are great additions I hope we eventually get.

To be fair, a twin linked gun is just two guns bolted together.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

To be fair, a twin linked gun is just two guns bolted together.

But you see if you bolt 2 guns together they will be more accurate than one gun but will never ever hit twice

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Twin-Linking just being two guns that shoot at the same thing is nice. I do, however, sort of miss the old coaxial weapons.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I unironically love my Rapid Fire 2 storm bolters

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Toxic 30k Grog: "My guys are going to deepstrike here"
Opponent shakes with rage: "There are too many universal special rules in this game! How can I be expected to know them all!?!?!"

40k Master Race-member: "My unit of Prime Primaris Primar-ites are going to laser storm jump strike here. This is slightly different than when my Primaris Primar-ites storm laser-port."

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
I think deep strike is the main exception where I they should have kept a universal rule, not unlike transports. It is nice actually not having to remember what kind all of the +1/rerolls are called though.

Also the decision to put rules in the 'short core rules' in the margins and then also have an advanced rule section is stupid. Want to know how transports work? It's on one of the basic rule pages in the margin! Want to know when modifiers take effect when rerolls occur? Hope you read that blurb on the side that is normally reserved for examples and poo poo you don't normally have to read!

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
If we are going to rip on 8th then don’t overlook the fact that just because formations are gone it’s pretty much a similar landscape of bullshit with keywords. The last 8th edition 40k event I attended had some of the grossest “lists” since the bad old days of 7th and was a complete turn off.

The power creep is real, we actually miss universal rules, mortal wounds creep/pysker phase is real as well as auras and keyword abuse. I had a lot of fun with 8th when it first dropped but by 6 months in it was same old bad 40k again, hence why I’m crawling back to 30k like a beaten dog, I still hate templates though ....

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
Wellcum back, friend.

*hands over inferior rulebook, and a set of templates*

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Awuuuuu

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Templates are fine! The best case against them that I have seen was in a MWG vid where orks went against NLs and gretchin cannons were demolishing dudes. Sure, you're BS2, but when you're spamming shots, it doesn't really matter, it will land somewhere.

I think this could be remedied with misfires and the lot.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The main experiences that make me dislike templates are frequently playing a dude who's turns took twice as long as they should've because he was very, very meticulous about spacing his mans just right to minimize the amount of hits he'd take from blasts. even when I didn't have any template/blast weapons.

And then resolving shots from a squad of either quad mortars or thunderfires which was like Firing an LBX-20 in Battletech level of tedious.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Yeah, my objections to blast templates are purely logistical. I still really like flame templates and I wish they were in 8th Edition.

8th Ed things I’d like to see in 30k: Movement, static To-Hit, alternating-activation close combat (possibly using Initiative for non-chargers), stratagems and command points (possibly tied into Rites and MotL rather than detachments), Advance instead of Run, Toughness on vehicles (but maybe keeping some sort of crit/penetration system rather than standardized degrading), target-number casting on Psychic Powers, non-randomized powers and warlord traits, Assault/Pistol/Rapid-Fire/Heavy functionality

30k stuff I absolutely do not want to lose: directional wound allocation, vehicle facing and weapon LOS rules, flame templates, Universal Special Rules, 25% Lord of War cap, grenade function in close combat

Stuff I’m not married to either way: AP, morale, Deep Strike accuracy

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Killer_Bees! posted:

If we are going to rip on 8th then don’t overlook the fact that just because formations are gone it’s pretty much a similar landscape of bullshit with keywords. The last 8th edition 40k event I attended had some of the grossest “lists” since the bad old days of 7th and was a complete turn off.

The power creep is real, we actually miss universal rules, mortal wounds creep/pysker phase is real as well as auras and keyword abuse. I had a lot of fun with 8th when it first dropped but by 6 months in it was same old bad 40k again, hence why I’m crawling back to 30k like a beaten dog, I still hate templates though ....

You can't just point out that the people exploding about how 8th was going to be different because it was written by ~new GW~ were completely full of poo poo and 40k is a broken, powerlisted powercreeped mess inside a year. It's extremely rude.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I need to figure out how my mans are fielding both Militia and Solar Aux units as allies, under the same livery. What I've come up with is that they (as a Solar Aux unit) got mauled on Mars in 005/006M31 and got pulled back to their home world and reorganized as a regular Imperial Army unit.

E: This is sort of what happened to a lot of Red Army units that got beaten up in 941M2 (they were reorganized from the large interwar organization* to smaller wartime ones) so I guess I'm really looking for a reason this couldn't be A Thing for my plastic mans.

*: That really only could have had a chance at working had Stalin not shot all the Deep Operations guys shot back in the late 930sM2. :sigh::hf::ussr:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 23, 2018

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

TTerrible posted:

You can't just point out that the people exploding about how 8th was going to be different because it was written by ~new GW~ were completely full of poo poo and 40k is a broken, powerlisted powercreeped mess inside a year. It's extremely rude.

Sad but true! I exclusively play with a group of 5-6 coworkers and the number of gentlemen's agreements we already have to not break this game is comical

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
8th edition was always going to go badly. The primaris leak wasn't just a conversion.

Welcome to tterribles house of correction. You might not always like it, but I am always right.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Lol you're still a little mad at the posters who were being cunts about the Primaris lieutenant leak aren't you :v

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm not mad about it, I'm correct. :smuggo:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Templates?

From my cold dead slavic hands :colbert:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

So I need to figure out how my mans are fielding both Militia and Solar Aux units as allies, under the same livery. What I've come up with is that they (as a Solar Aux unit) got mauled on Mars in 005/006M31 and got pulled back to their home world and reorganized as a regular Imperial Army unit.

E: This is sort of what happened to a lot of Red Army units that got beaten up in 941M2 (they were reorganized from the large interwar organization* to smaller wartime ones) so I guess I'm really looking for a reason this couldn't be A Thing for my plastic mans.

*: That really only could have had a chance at working had Stalin not shot all the Deep Operations guys shot back in the late 930sM2. :sigh::hf::ussr:

Great Crusade era basically has continual reorganization of imperial army units as new fleets are established/others are wound down after compliance. During the Heresy proper everyone was scrambling for whatever troops were close enough to the particular theater of operations. Shattered legions are a thing, yknow? Same principles applied to the regular army.

If someone gets mad at you for mixing aux and militia you have my blessing to smash their favorite model as they whine.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

gently caress all y’all 8th owns

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hixson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7tBHvcG1s

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Hixson posted:

Are you sure you want to come around all this toxicity being that wrong?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iywaBOMvYLI

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

[video type=""]/kgs/R2h42J[/video]

This is what happens when all that toxin reaches your fingers

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Neurolimal posted:

This is what happens when all that toxin reaches your fingers

Alcohol is my favorite toxin!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Great Crusade era basically has continual reorganization of imperial army units as new fleets are established/others are wound down after compliance. During the Heresy proper everyone was scrambling for whatever troops were close enough to the particular theater of operations. Shattered legions are a thing, yknow? Same principles applied to the regular army.

If someone gets mad at you for mixing aux and militia you have my blessing to smash their favorite model as they whine.

Thank you for this, it makes me feel (slightly) bad about apparently kicking off a cross-thread poo poo-battle. :(

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.
I have an old metal Dreadnought and a tubesock you can borrow, but you have to unironically say 30k is cool and good first.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I have an old metal Dreadnought and a tubesock you can borrow, but you have to unironically say 30k is cool and good first.

How about if I say it unironically but I'm making the JO hand gesture throughout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

we had it coming.

Schadenboner posted:

How about if I say it unironically but I'm making the JO hand gesture throughout?

Talk to Dr. Pop and get some JO Crystals first. It'd be a shame to waste all of that energy.