Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Delivery McGee posted:

Also, Gurney and Yates did it in 35h 54m, the current unofficial record holder is Alex Roy at 31h 04m -- in a BMW with all manner of modifications, including a suite of radar detectors/jammers, military-surplus gyrostabilized binoculars for the codriver to watch for cops, and IIRC (or if not, he should have had), additional fuel cell in the trunk with a second filler neck so they could fill from both sides at the same time.
The current record is actually 28:50, set by Ed Bolian in a CL55 AMG equipped with two additional fuel cells.
https://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-drove-across-the-u-s-in-a-record-28-h-1454092837
https://jalopnik.com/here-s-the-data-from-ed-bolian-s-record-setting-cross-c-1648466595

quote:

Edit: Wanna fly out to LA and get a '96 Buick Roadmaster wagon cheap, add whaleskin hubcaps and a fuel cell in the back that could serve as a swimming pool for children, and try to beat Alex Roy. Because the stops for refueling seem to be the part that slows you down, if you do 85 all the way without having to stop for gas as much, it's as good as doing 175 and stopping for gas every two hours.. So get a gas tank to fill the cargo space of a station wagon. It gets maybe 15mpg flat out, and still has a queen-size bed for the codriver.
I've had the same thoughts, but my idea was to use a "hotshot" style 2WD pickup truck set up for efficient long-distance towing. Since it wouldn't actually be towing anything the hitch could be removed and the bed could be filled with auxiliary fuel. Tires that can take the load while cruising around 100 MPH would be the hard part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Uber:
Option 1: car didn't see an obstacle
Option 2: car did see an obstacle, chose to drive through it
Option 3: car did see an obstacle, didn't make a decision in time to do anything

Option 1: the hardware is totally unsuitable, pull the program of the road until test vehicles can pass an as yet nonexistent autonomous driving test.
Option 2: the software is still horrifically flawed, pull the program of the road until test vehicles can pass an as yet nonexistent autonomous driving test.
Option 3: some combination of both of the above.

All options are terrifying for anyone who is ever in the vicinity of one of these.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

boner confessor posted:

it seems obvious to me that the car in fact didn't flag an obstacle, which is why it kept driving. not this weird scenario you're describing where it saw an unknown obstacle but didn't classify it as the right kind of obstacle. just think about what you're trying to say i guess :shrug:

all your posts have been about "didn't see her as a person", which is a very different thing. for example:

boner confessor posted:

yeah it does. the lidar is constantly scanning the environment, looking for things that matter (cars, people) and things that dont (trash cans, buildings) and it most like incorrectly sorted a person as not-a-person

like, what are you suggesting here that the car would/should do if there was a trash can in the middle of its lane?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Splode posted:

Wrong dipstick is a pretty big deal then!

All the moreso because wing tanks are very broad and shallow in aspect, so a small error in depth of fuel in the tank leads to a large error in calculated weight.

Bridge chat: That cable-stayed bridge at FIU wasn't actually a cable-stayed bridge at all. It was a plain old fracture-critical through-truss bridge, with the cables being primarily decorative. You don't build road bridges like that anymore because it's easy for a vehicle collision to break one of the truss members, and cause failure of the entire bridge, but they did it in this case because it was a footbridge and they figured it'd be pretty unlikely for that to happen.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/west-miami-dade/article206122229.html

quote:

The FIU bridge was a truss bridge, its designers, the FIGG Bridge Group, confirmed after the collapse. Many have assumed it was a suspension bridge because renderings of the finished structure show a mast with pipes or cables connecting from its tip to the bridge in a sail-like pattern. Observers, including some engineers, have posited that had the mast been in place, the bridge might not have collapsed.

But in fact the mast would have provided no vertical support. FIGG advertised that as a “cable-stayed” bridge, and plans and other materials on the FIU website say the mast was there mostly to dampen vibration, provide some “stiffness” and create dramatic aesthetics.

After studying the engineering drawings on the website with colleagues, Verrastro confirmed the mast had no role in holding up the bridge.

“They definitely didn’t need it,” he said. “It’s there mostly for looks.”

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 22, 2018

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of replacing thumbs with toes....

Mark Pauline blew his thumb off and replaced it with a toe ages back.

Who's that? He and his artist collective Survival Research Laboratories have been making horrifically dangerous machines and having then fight to the death since the 80s as industrial performance art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cp7aD0q63g

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

wolrah posted:

The current record is actually 28:50, set by Ed Bolian in a CL55 AMG equipped with two additional fuel cells.
https://jalopnik.com/meet-the-guy-who-drove-across-the-u-s-in-a-record-28-h-1454092837
https://jalopnik.com/here-s-the-data-from-ed-bolian-s-record-setting-cross-c-1648466595

I've had the same thoughts, but my idea was to use a "hotshot" style 2WD pickup truck set up for efficient long-distance towing. Since it wouldn't actually be towing anything the hitch could be removed and the bed could be filled with auxiliary fuel. Tires that can take the load while cruising around 100 MPH would be the hard part.

It's gonna be super funny when the next person to set the record does it in a hybrid Camry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

All the moreso because wing tanks are very broad and shallow in aspect, so a small error in depth of fuel in the tank leads to a large error in calculated weight.

Bridge chat: That cable-stayed bridge at FIU wasn't actually a cable-stayed bridge at all. It was a plain old fracture-critical through-truss bridge, with the cables being primarily decorative. You don't build road bridges like that anymore because it's easy for a vehicle collision to break one of the truss members, and cause failure of the entire bridge, but they did it in this case because it was a footbridge and they figured it'd be pretty unlikely for that to happen.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/west-miami-dade/article206122229.html

So the original theory was that the bridge was put into place without supporting cables, which is why it fell. Does this mean now the bridge itself was severely hosed from the design or construction phase?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jabor posted:

all your posts have been about "didn't see her as a person", which is a very different thing. for example:

like, what are you suggesting here that the car would/should do if there was a trash can in the middle of its lane?

hey trash cans generally dont move guy. sorry i used an example that completely baffles you. i'm going to stop responding to you now

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

So the original theory was that the bridge was put into place without supporting cables, which is why it fell. Does this mean now the bridge itself was severely hosed from the design or construction phase?

It's plausible that the bridge was acceptable from a design standpoint (even if you wouldn't have built a bridge for vehicle traffic in that way) and would have been okay, but one of the post-tensioning rods got hosed up and led to failure.

quote:

He also pointed to one possibly significant difference between the FIU bridge and a traditional truss bridge: It was made of heavy concrete, not much lighter steel. That decision is justifiable because concrete is far easier and less expensive to maintain than steel, looks better and lasts far longer. FIGG advertised the structure as “a 100-year bridge,” and Verrastro said that’s likely accurate.

He said that neither the length of the span nor its 950-ton weight should be an issue, because its design engineers would have ensured it had enough tensile strength to be self-supporting, with support pylons only at either end.

That would explain why there were no temporary supports while the bridge was finished, and could also explain the decision not to close the Tamiami Trail while workers tightened rods or cables inside the concrete, he said. Unless there was visible or measurable sagging of the structure, indicating damage, such tensioning strengthens the bridge.

In engineers’ minds, Verrastro said, “there should not be an issue, because you’re just making it stronger.”

But what the engineers may not have known, the faceless Canadian YouTuber suggests, is that the steel inside the struts could have been damaged. His evidence: photos showing a steel rod protruding from the top of the bridge canopy with a blue hydraulic jack — equipment used in tensioning support cables or rods inside concrete — still attached. A subcontractor crew member working on that spot fell to his death when the bridge collapsed.

In the video, the Canadian runs a demonstration showing how a steel rod undergoing tensioning will suddenly snap and shoot out of the jack if stressed beyond its capacity.

The video lays out further evidence: Drawings on the FIU website show how the bridge span, which was prefabricated by the side of the trail over a period of months, was to be moved into place using four powerful lift trucks. The technique, known as accelerated bridge construction, significantly reduces the time a road must be closed to traffic.

In the plans, two trucks would be placed side-by-side at either end, lined up under spots where the vertical trusses met in a joint, the Canadian noted. But video of the actual move shows one of the trucks at the north end, where the bridge appears to have failed, was moved farther towards the middle of the span, leaving the end unsupported. The Canadian says in the video that’s because a road divider or dip in the surface would have made it difficult for the truck to be positioned properly.

His source is not clear. But the Associated Press said in a story Tuesday that the Florida Department of Transportation ordered the northern support pylon be moved 11 feet to make room for future expansion of the trail. That required a design change that lengthened the span — and put the support pylon in the dirt well off the edge of the roadway, which could also explain why the northernmost truck could no longer follow its original planned route.

As the bridge was moved, stress points on the structure were constantly monitored with sensors.

But the weight of the unsupported end could have placed enough stress on the last diagonal strut — the one being worked on when the bridge fell — to damage the rod inside it and loosen the tension on it, the Canadian AvE says in his YouTube video. It would also explain cracking that appeared on the north end of the bridge that a FIGG engineer reported to FDOT on Tuesday, although he concluded that it posed no safety concerns. Cracking in new concrete is not uncommon, and could be superficial or a sign of deeper trouble.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This feels like one of those cases where the bear is real and just came in to smell what was on the shelves but the man was faked.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

boner confessor posted:

hey trash cans generally dont move guy. sorry i used an example that completely baffles you. i'm going to stop responding to you now

all the more reason not to drive straight into it if you think the thing in the middle of your lane is a trash can and not a person!

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

The wind knocking over a trash can is an unforseeable circumstance that a self-driving car cannot honestly expect to ever contend with

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Why are people still responding to him? What even is his argument at this point, aside from contradicting random unimportant bits of what others say? Is there even a coherent overall argument, or is the idea just to be contrarian?

Moving back to the bridge, I'm surprised to find it wasn't designed as a cable stay bridge. A lot of people apparently got that wrong.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

a kitten posted:

Speaking of replacing thumbs with toes....

Mark Pauline blew his thumb off and replaced it with a toe ages back.

Who's that? He and his artist collective Survival Research Laboratories have been making horrifically dangerous machines and having then fight to the death since the 80s as industrial performance art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cp7aD0q63g

I got to work with mark on his last nyc show and it was super rad, don’t drop rocket fuel friends

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
id suspected something was afoot about that cable theory, only because a failure as daft as "we didn't put cables on our cable bridge" is something even I, a compete layman philistine, would have questioned instantly as a bad idea

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Fabulousity posted:

Was that Divine at the wheel? I thought she was dead?

The resemblance is uncanny! The detectives should be investigating the possible exhuming and reanimation of Divine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Why are people still responding to him? What even is his argument at this point, aside from contradicting random unimportant bits of what others say? Is there even a coherent overall argument, or is the idea just to be contrarian?

Moving back to the bridge, I'm surprised to find it wasn't designed as a cable stay bridge. A lot of people apparently got that wrong.

there's never an argument it's always a good ol' selfieblowjob.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

a sexual elk posted:

I just started as a longshoreman at the Los Angeles/ Long Beach ports, what you got for me OSHA thread?

I'm afraid I don't have anything, I'm just kinda surprised your job still exists. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I was under the impression that the container + automation had pretty much wiped out longshoremen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Trabant posted:

I'm afraid I don't have anything, I'm just kinda surprised your job still exists. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I was under the impression that the container + automation had pretty much wiped out longshoremen.

Someone operates the automated equipment.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tumble posted:

It's gonna be super funny when the next person to set the record does it in a hybrid Camry.

Alex Roy has actually been doing a bunch of alternative vehicle record runs now. He did a pass in his Morgan 3 wheeler and has done a few in various Tesla models, using autopilot increasingly more.

Relevantly, he's been writing a lot about autonomous driving in the last few years and posted this a few hours ago: http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/19504/disgraceful-dashcam-video-proves-uber-is-the-theranos-of-self-driving

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

I just started as a longshoreman at the Los Angeles/ Long Beach ports, what you got for me OSHA thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFNGfpJCNo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

a sexual elk posted:

I have a client who got hit in the head with a crane hook while working on barges. Don't get hit in the head with a crane hook.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

A new take on an old favorite:

http://youtubedoubler.com/lTJA

Of course, Yakety Sax goes with everything.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

His Divine Shadow posted:

They can also turn your index finger into a thumb via procedure called pollicization.

Neat, they can turn you into a cartoon character.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Well that doesn't look good.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Here's a good tip: Don't cut off your loving thumb.

On a related note, involving a thumb but NOT cutting it off, a friend of mine and I were buying butterfly knives in chinatown when we were kids, they were like 2 for $20, my friend was playing with his and somehow flipped it and drove the blade into the webbed area between thumb and index finger, it cut off a bunch of nerves and other poo poo. He has no feeling in that thumb, can still use it and can also bend it all the way back to his wrist; it's loving creepy and weird.

That's my weird thumb knife story.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Neat, they can turn you into a cartoon character.

Still can't get over the idea of:

"Look, I know you just lost this one by accident. But I promise if you let us cut off this other one we'll put it right back"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Still can't get over the idea of:

"Look, I know you just lost this one by accident. But I promise if you let us cut off this other one we'll put it right back"

It's more often used to correct birth defects.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
That FIU bridge article seems to be heavily based on AvE's videos on the collapse so take it with a grain of salt. He could be completely right and I'm not outright discounting his conclusion, but even he acknowledges that he doesn't have the full picture.

https://youtu.be/ioC61QW7SHQ

https://youtu.be/KtiTm2dKLgU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What if I want to replace all of my fingers with toes?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

They never should have hired Amelia Bedelia.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Imagined posted:

As I understand it, one of the main benefits of AI drivers would be to have cars moving at speed impossibly close to each other. I would think even watching that would be unbearably stressful. Like I wouldn't even want a window if my car is doing 80 mph three inches from another car's bumper.

This isn't actually true, it was dreamed up by AI fanboys who gave absolutely zero thought to practical considerations. Even if every single car is networked and warning each other in advance of any planned movement, the laws of physics still put significant constraints on the cars' ability to react to unplanned movements. Unless you're placing physical barriers around literally every road, it's dangerous to assume that everything that will ever be on the road is networked.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

This isn't actually true, it was dreamed up by AI fanboys who gave absolutely zero thought to practical considerations. Even if every single car is networked and warning each other in advance of any planned movement, the laws of physics still put significant constraints on the cars' ability to react to unplanned movements. Unless you're placing physical barriers around literally every road, it's dangerous to assume that everything that will ever be on the road is networked.

Even if you do put up physical barriers and network everything, what happens when the car six inches in front of you has a mechanical failure that suddenly cuts its speed?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

It's a fire truck - I don't see a problem here.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Some quick analysis of the Uber fatality vs what is expected of a human driver on the road.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/video-suggests-huge-problems-with-ubers-driverless-car-program/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Even if you do put up physical barriers and network everything, what happens when the car six inches in front of you has a mechanical failure that suddenly cuts its speed?

The following car brakes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

Perhaps some sort of mechanic coupling between the vehicles on this grade separated track would be best?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

EoRaptor posted:

Some quick analysis of the Uber fatality vs what is expected of a human driver on the road.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/video-suggests-huge-problems-with-ubers-driverless-car-program/

I know that law professor haha, no idea how ars dug him up for a quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Perhaps some sort of mechanic coupling between the vehicles on this grade separated track would be best?

That sounds good, maybe we can group the cars into batches and then separate the batches for a good speed/safety tradeoff.