Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Did anyone else notice they were watching Back to the Future?

Though in that scene Marty isn't actually wearing his puffy red vest.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Don't forget to watch the end card all the way to the end.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'll just drop this here.

https://myfigurecollection.net/item/675901

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Easily one of the best SOL experiences I can think of in the last several/many years.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Since they spent half the time also being a cooking anime (not that I minded in the least), what's everyone's recommendations for that genre?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
That ending was perfect

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

give me chiaki or give me death

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

SirPhoebos posted:

Since they spent half the time also being a cooking anime (not that I minded in the least), what's everyone's recommendations for that genre?

Wakako-Zake.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Somebody noticed a subtle change in the OP. Rin goes from saying "No" to "I'll think about it."

And sure enough, in the final episode Rin says "yes"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

:3:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Numero6 posted:

Wakako-Zake.

Seconded. Restaurant to Another World is also really good and chill.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

SirPhoebos posted:

Koufuku Graffiti is quite good and this season's Hakumei & Mikochi often does little cooking segments too

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

:same:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SirPhoebos posted:

Sweetness and Lightning. A single Dad and his daughter go from buying pre-made store food to home cooking, with a lot of cute thrown in.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Paracelsus posted:

Don't forget to watch the end card all the way to the end.

Omnicrom posted:

oh my goooood :unsmith:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nadeshiko's Hair Cactuar was the best

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SirPhoebos posted:

Isekai Izakaya "Nobu", one of the few manga from the incredibly overdone and saturated isekai genre that doesn't cause me to hurl violently. Anime coming later this year. https://mangadex.org/manga/18302/isekai-izakaya-quot-nobu-quot
Ristorante Paradiso, Italian silver foxes on parade, the anime. Also, food. I am not a fan of the manga's artstyle. https://mangadex.org/manga/9484/ristorante-paradiso
Maiko-san Chi no Makanai, one girl became a Maiko, the other one flunked out, but took over cooking duties. No anime, but I wanted to fit it in here. https://mangadex.org/manga/21443/maiko-san-chi-no-makanai-san
Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san is loving dangerous poo poo, I somehow find myself getting ramen immediately after watching an episode. Its run just finished airing and can be watch in its entirety on Crunchyroll. https://mangadex.org/manga/13805/ramen-daisuki-koizumi-san

I like those, but more anime and manga suggestions can be found by heading over to the Food Manga Thread?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 23, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Isekai Izakaya "Nobu", one of the few manga from the incredibly overdone and saturated isekai genre that doesn't cause me to hurl violently. Anime coming later this year. https://mangadex.org/manga/18302/isekai-izakaya-quot-nobu-quot

EDIT: Nvm the translators change and all is well

Xun fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 23, 2018

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

wanna make that japanese breakfast

but I really want to cover that grilled salmon with authentic country gravy

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

el dorito posted:

cover that grilled salmon with authentic country gravy

What

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

So is this show set much further South than I thought, or did Nadeshiko just take ages to make breakfast? Because she started at 5am and the sun cleared the mountains while they were eating, on the 26th of December.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dzhay posted:

So is this show set much further South than I thought, or did Nadeshiko just take ages to make breakfast? Because she started at 5am and the sun cleared the mountains while they were eating, on the 26th of December.

Somewhat west of Tokyo. Same latitude as northern Africa, north border of Arizona.

Around here, I believe:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

nielsm posted:

Somewhat west of Tokyo. Same latitude as northern Africa, north border of Arizona.

Around here, I believe:

Something else I noticed was that even though the last three or so episodes were in December, there wasn't ever indication of snowfall (well besides Fuji's peak). Would that be typical of this part of Japan?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

Isekai Shokudou (Restaurant to another world) is also pretty good. It's about how food brings people together, and it's a nice relaxing show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Dzhay posted:

Sunrise in central Japan is generally speaking pretty early, even in December the sun will usually be up around 6AM. I think it's a time zone thing, Tokyo is way on the eastern edge of the +9 UTC band.

SirPhoebos posted:

Something else I noticed was that even though the last three or so episodes were in December, there wasn't ever indication of snowfall (well besides Fuji's peak). Would that be typical of this part of Japan?

That part of Japan doesn't get that much snow, at least not at low elevations. The Sea of Japan side gets all the snow, the Pacific Ocean side is shielded from the cold by the Japanese Alps.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

:yeah:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It has been a long loving time since I have bought non-digitally-distributed or streaming subscription anime. Anyone know how to go about getting DVDs/Blu-Rays in this day and age?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It has been a long loving time since I have bought non-digitally-distributed or streaming subscription anime. Anyone know how to go about getting DVDs/Blu-Rays in this day and age?

Head to your local Blockbuster?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72FJSwegork

So I was listening to that one mashup of Yurucamp x Jackson 5 that I linked last week, and apparently some South Park made it in at the end for wtf I dunno reasons. Which is a shame, because I think they did a pretty good job of it. So here's a better execution overall, with Earth Wind, and Campfire feat. Jackson 5.

Yeah Triple-Q is pretty good at remixing but for some reason seems to get his kicks from messing with people. :shrug:

That's a p. good one though.

Last episode was pretty comf. At first I thought Rin was going to the seaside for New Years but them "soloing" together is also pretty great :kimchi:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh lord, the future camping scene :kimchi: Nadeshiko....

Holy poo poo :3:
https://files.catbox.moe/w27tea.webm

Knorth fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 24, 2018

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I loved this show and I wish there was more of it. I’m going to have to read the manga now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I picked up a tent/mattress/sleeping bag set on special at REI yesterday, plus a lightweight camp chair for 20% off, and I'm not going to lie it was probably influenced by this show.

Now I just need to get that whole "camp food/cooking" thing figured out.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not gonna lie, it *is* pretty good bundle. If I didn't already have everything, acquired in piecemeal by scouring clearances and holiday sales everywhere, I'd be tempted to jump on it. Just about the only thing that I notice it *doesn't* have is a ground sheet, so you'll either want to pick that up, or use a tarp.

Cheaper than the 45,000 JPY sleeping bag by less than half, too. =P

(sign up for an REI membership, and you can get it for $199, as opposed to the listed $275 until the 29th of this month.)

for anyone interested: https://www.rei.com/product/127720/rei-co-op-backpacking-bundle

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 26, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
As someone who has gone camping most of their life, a tarp will work perfectly as a ground sheet.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, it *is* a backpacking set, and if there's one thing that tarps *don't* do well, it's compact down.

Not a problem for car camping though, tarps are what my family used for a decade until I started going camping on my own.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I got faked out by the opening of the last episode.

Also the amount Ms. Chug drinks makes me feel ill.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
This is a good comfy show but Ms. Chug has a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Double Plus Undead posted:

This is a good comfy show but Ms. Chug has a problem.

Please do not besmirch my wife, thanks.